Posted 1 June

WipEout HD Fury Expansion Pack

Hello everybody,

I’m Tony Buckley, Game Director for WipEout HD and I’m pleased to announce that the team here at Studio Liverpool have been busy working on a new expansion pack for your favourite anti-gravity racer.

And what’s more, it is set to be given its first public showing at this week’s E3 expo, so if you’re lucky enough to be attending, make sure you stop by and try it out!

WipEout HD Fury Expansion Pack

WipEout HD Fury Expansion Pack

WipEout HD Fury Expansion Pack

WipEout HD Fury Expansion Pack

The WipEout HD Fury expansion pack will increase the content of your current game with 8 new tracks, 13 new ship models and 3 new game modes, 2 of which will be available for online play! In addition there will be new trophies to attain, a re-styled front-end and a selection of new & improved multiplayer functionality!

The Eliminator game mode will allow you to release all that pent-up aggression as you use the full arsenal of Wipeout weaponry to destroy your opponents. Forget those racing lines; this is all about destruction, with the victor being the first to reach the target score!

Zone Battle is about risk and reward! Acceleration is automatic as you swoop over zone pads to fill your zone bar. Your choice is whether to use the bar to increase your speed and boost your ship ever closer to the target zone or absorb it to replenish vital lost energy. Warning, avoid the ‘zone barriers’, obstacles left on the track by your opponents as they boost towards the target zone, hitting these can literally destroy your hopes of victory!

Our Detonator mode introduces a brand new ship model to the game that will test both your piloting skills and your shooting accuracy as you accelerate through as many as 14 stages. Score points by destroying the mines that have been strewn along the track and take out the bomb on each stage to earn additional points. The more accurate you are the more points and bonuses you will score!

Just like the original WipEout HD, all the new content will be released in glorious 1080p resolution and will run at a smooth 60fps.

Take a sneak peek at a selection of screenshots.

Remember, Wipeout HD is available exclusively from PlayStation Store so check it out in readiness for the release of the Fury expansion pack coming this summer!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

107 Comments 2 Author replies
Show oldest first

Awesome, can’t wait! :D

-Ad-

parker-94 1 June, 2009 @ 3:06 pm   2

Sounds great! Can’t wait.
—-
PSP GO! ;D

Brownber 1 June, 2009 @ 3:06 pm   3

Looks awesome! Am I right in thinking this gives us double the number of tracks already on WipeOut HD? Surely that with the other stuff makes this the one of the biggest expansions EVER! Consider it bought!

FreakerUK 1 June, 2009 @ 3:09 pm   4

This is awesome news !!, the only this that would make me more excited for Wipeout would be the introduction of full pilot cockpits ;)
Cant wait…

Sounds like a brilliant expansion to an already brilliant game! Can’t wait!

Bearskopff 1 June, 2009 @ 3:09 pm   6

:O It looks absolutely beautiful! I cannot wait to get my paws on this. Even if my racing skills are dire – I can still take really pretty pictures!

Bear :D

carnavall 1 June, 2009 @ 3:10 pm   7

Wil it solve my online problems, i can`t play online.

Suzzopher 1 June, 2009 @ 3:12 pm   8

This looks so freaking sweet :) Can’t wait for this. I love Studio Liverpool

wedgehog 1 June, 2009 @ 3:12 pm   9

Amazing pictures there.

Mr_Pickle 1 June, 2009 @ 3:13 pm   10

what’s the price gonna be?

tretle 1 June, 2009 @ 3:14 pm   11

wohoo, I have been waiting for this for ages. One question though,Can we get game launching support for home please

Godlovesugly05 1 June, 2009 @ 3:15 pm   12

Awesome, can’t wait to play it all.

You really need to put this on a Blu-ray and sell this in stores, don’t you think?

I’m sorry but I’m not going to buy it. That game is just frustrating. It’s my worst buy in the PS store (thats why there was no demo?).
I must admit that the game looks beautifull but even with the update it’s not getting any workout for me…

harrowed45 1 June, 2009 @ 3:18 pm   14

Thanks Tony!

I absolutely love Wipeout HD, best PSN game and one of the best overall racers of this generation of consoles, glad to see it’s getting such immense support! I still haven’t gotten all the trophies yet, and am caught up in real life studies and other games, but I aim to do so at some point, the game is awesome.

Anyway, enough gushing! At some point is Sony gonna get you guys onto a full retail release of Wipeout? Something like all the tracks from all the previous games (Including Wipeout 64!) and the modes with 4 player split-screen? That would essentially be the ultimate racer of this gen.

Back on topic, good luck, looking forward to this.

Ikkarus 1 June, 2009 @ 3:18 pm   15

This looks amazing.

Studio Liverpool have shown how to do DLC properly. Great stuff guys.

Any hints of a price for this and lastly will this update contain trophies?

Not that I honestly mind if it doesn’t have trophies as I’m still trying to beat Zico!
Curse my slow reflexes! :)

2 questions:
- how much?
and
- new music?

Soild_Nat 1 June, 2009 @ 3:22 pm   17

Wow great DLC, adding 8 more tracks is awesome news. I must say that the level of commitment to games post release is great, please keep this up Sony, just lower the prices a bit please!

nummerfjorten 1 June, 2009 @ 3:22 pm   18

Sweet! Wonder if there will be more trophies…

Fabulous! I was truly disappointed that the Eliminator mode had not been implemented into Wipeout HD, but i sure am glad you are bringing it back. My final decision will be based on the attached price tag.

Detale 1 June, 2009 @ 3:24 pm   20

Brilliant, I’m all over this. The Eliminator mode sounds great.

Archonik 1 June, 2009 @ 3:25 pm   21

Sounds awesome! I hope the trophies will be a little bit easier than the original Wipeouts’. I’m still dozens away from the platinum…

nickjd331 1 June, 2009 @ 3:29 pm   22

That sounds great, that’s a huge amount of content. I imagine it will be fairly expensive.

Bearskopff 1 June, 2009 @ 3:31 pm   23

@14 Ah! I remember beating Zico! You’ve never seen a gamer dance around a room solidly for 20 minutes waving his arms in the air thanking everything from people to inanimate objects, so fast in your life! :D

It was a glorious day! :)

RagingWhisky 1 June, 2009 @ 3:31 pm   24

[JohnSketch]

Ahhh…the great floating LSD raceway game…

Excuse me whilst I get some eyedrops and fry up some shrooms.. =)

A perfect game to play when “annebriated”

nickjd331 1 June, 2009 @ 3:32 pm   25

I also love that new ship with transparent parts.

Any news on what the news ships and tracks will be?

InsanityUK 1 June, 2009 @ 3:32 pm   26

Woah, that’s a lot of tracks. I need to get back into Wipeout though, I had a go the other day and I was just awful!

JoshHood 1 June, 2009 @ 3:33 pm   27

AWESOME. New music please!

great news :)

JacktehKnife 1 June, 2009 @ 3:37 pm   29

Woo! Looks amazing!

Any news of home game launching?

Umjammerlami 1 June, 2009 @ 3:38 pm   30

Studio Liverpool strikes again, this is great news.

And such a wonderful spread of new ideas implemented, well done and thankyou for your hard work keeping wipeout fresh.

a sneaky question though~

Have you considered any collaborations with artists outside the studio? similar to the work done with Wipeout Pure

Paul Tweedle 1 June, 2009 @ 4:22 pm

Hi, my name’s Paul Tweedle, I am the Development Manager of the WipEout HD Fury expansion pack here in sunny Liverpool. Tony is away at E3 so I just wanted to log in to answer a few questions.

Firstly, yes, there will be new music. We’re still in the process of determining and licensing exactly which tracks we will use so I can’t really say any more on that at the moment.

There will be new trophies to earn, most of which are a lot of fun and, perhaps, not as “hardcore” as those in the original game.

Also, exact price and release date are not yet set. We will update with this information as soon as we can.

Hopefully I can answer most questions that crop up here,

Paul.

Paul Tweedle 1 June, 2009 @ 3:41 pm   31

Hopefully I can answer most questions that crop up here,

Paul.

Studio Liverpool, like always, rock !
I ask you just one thing to make WipeOut HD better :
- choose the music with the xmb, no with the in game menu and WipeOut HD will be [DELETED] good !

Also, what will be the price for this ?

MrJimmy 1 June, 2009 @ 3:45 pm   33

Thanks Paul, appreciate the update – also good to see this news hit the EU blog just moments after the US.

Think of us over at threespeech.co.cc if you need a beta tester or 10!

hyperslug 1 June, 2009 @ 3:56 pm   34

This looks really great :) it doubles the content of the game. I can’t wait.

BLACK13 1 June, 2009 @ 3:56 pm   35

Thanks Paul, but as one of the posters above has said can you take a look at the online problems some of us with large friends lists are having, i haven’t been able to play since Janruary online

Paul Tweedle 1 June, 2009 @ 3:56 pm   36

To confirm the tracks in the pack; you will be able to play are;

Modesto Heights forward,
Modesto Heights reverse,
Tech De Ra forwards,
Tech De Ra reverse,
The Amphiseum forward,
The Amphiseum reverse,
Talon’s Juction forward,
Talon’s Junction reverse.

Plus the below Zone (also playable in Zone Battle and Detonator) tracks playable forwards only;

Mallavol,
Syncopia,
Corridon 12,
Pro Tozo.

Tony also forgot to mention that there will be a new single player Fury Campaign too, which includes events using the three new modes.

Paul.

Welcome Paul, looks like you and your team have been hard at work. I hold WipEout HD, Pure (and soon Pulse) very dearly for they are such well crafted games. The new expansion pack sounds so good, day one!

Now I have one question if possible to be answered, how long have you guys been working on this expansion?

Again, welcome and enjoy your stay :)

Paul Tweedle 1 June, 2009 @ 4:19 pm

Hi RpgN,

The team have been working on this expansion since HD launched. The amount of work that goes into the creation of these beautiful environments and ships cannot be underestimated. Running at 1080p and 60fps places a lot of demands on both the art and code teams.

Also, creating two completely new game modes from scratch is a very iterative process which takes time. There’s no point releasing new game modes if they don’t stand side by side with the existing ones, and we think we’ve nailed it with Zone Battle and Detonator.

The whole team has, frankly, played a blinder with Fury, I think you’re all going to love it.

Thanks for all the kind words,

Paul (and the WipEout team).

TheChoubidoudou 1 June, 2009 @ 4:01 pm   38

Great news, this game is simply awesome. Does anybody know what is the name of the soundtrack/artist of the trailer?

Munkeh111 1 June, 2009 @ 4:04 pm   39

My 1 complaint about HD was the lack of eliminator mode, my favourite game mode from WipEout Pulse, and it is great that you have added this, it will also make sure I finish the main game!

Also, I like the look of those tracks, they are some of my favourite from Pulse

fortieTHief 1 June, 2009 @ 4:05 pm   40

YEEEAAH!!!GO GO GO!!!

Paul Tweedle 1 June, 2009 @ 4:06 pm   41

Hi RpgN,

Thanks for all the kind words,

Paul (and the WipEout team).

samich2007 1 June, 2009 @ 4:08 pm   42

Great I can’t wait!
But how much will it cost?
Will it add some new music?
And is it 8 tracks or 4 tracks and 4 reversed versions from that track?
Thanks!

bravo9zero 1 June, 2009 @ 4:11 pm   43

Wow impressive DLC!
13 new ships, New tracks/modes,

day 1 buy =)

shiima 1 June, 2009 @ 4:11 pm   44

Oh nice! I was just expecting some new maps and new veichles, but they managed to make it even more interesting with the new game modes.

swcoruscant 1 June, 2009 @ 4:13 pm   45

Any chance of the full game any time soon?

Psicojacorral 1 June, 2009 @ 4:14 pm   46

Coool!!

NviperO 1 June, 2009 @ 4:15 pm   47

Awesome news, more WipEout is always welcome. WipEout HD is one of the best titles (if not even the best) on PS3. Too bad I haven’t had time to play it recently, but now I’ll definately give it another spin so I’ll be ready for this DLC.

pabloamigo 1 June, 2009 @ 4:20 pm   48

Paul, sounds awesome.

Glad you are continuing to support this great game.

Seems like a massive update too – I for one am happy to wait for ‘substantial’ updates when they offer this much new content.

JaKhris 1 June, 2009 @ 4:20 pm   49

Hey,

Looking good. :) I hope it won’t be too expensive, though.

I was just wondering: could you tell me what’s the name of the artist and the track from this trailer, please? [here: http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/379/ ] It sounds awesome. :)

Chris

Nocturnvs 1 June, 2009 @ 4:21 pm   50

Fan-frickin’-tastic!
I can’t wait! :D

Well, hoping the silly error 80023102 will go away eventually so I can buy stuff on the PSN again… V_V

Load all