Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 1:01pm

VidZone Lands On PlayStation 3 Today

VidZone logo

Hey! My name is Ben and I’m the Head of Production at VidZone. We are all incredibly excited to launch our new on-demand music video streaming service free on PS3 and PSP (via Remote Play) today at 4pm in Europe; that’s 3pm for blog readers in the UK.

VidZone will be available for free download from PlayStation Store in UK, Ireland, France, Italy, Germany, Spain and Australia. As well as having access to 1000s of music videos which you can watch whenever you want and fast forward/rewind/pause, and create playlists, I am happy to let you know of some great exclusives for launch in my first post here on SCEE’s PlayStation.Blog.

Ahead of E3 we interviewed ultra cool band, Kasabian and got exclusive access behind the scenes of their new video “Where Did All The Love Go”.

Kasabian on VidZone, Group

Kasabian on VidZone

Not only do we have exclusive behind the scenes footage, but for launch we are showcasing a WORLD exclusive live version of their Processed Beats video. You will only see the full videos on VidZone.

Oh, and for all who suspect we will be catering for just you pop loving people only… think again! VidZone is launching with over 10,000 music videos, 4,000 artists, 2 Major and thousands of Independent labels, across 12 main genres. You will find all your favourite acts including Metallica, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, System Of A Down, Oasis, The Killers, Kings of Leon, 50 cent, Eminem, Kanye, Jay-Z, Aphex Twin, Rage Against The Machine and Pearl Jam as well as Lady GaGa, Britney, Beyonce, Leona Lewis, Sneaky Sound System, Jamiroquai, Justin Timberlake…and tonnes of dance acts from Ministry of Sound and other huge global stars like Tiesto, Fatboy Slim, Maura Picotto, Eric Prydz, Armand van Helden, Basshunter, Freemasons and more! We will be adding loads of videos all the time so if you can’t find your favourite video to start with it shouldn’t be long for us to get it so keep checking back and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Watch this space for info on video updates and all other aspects of the service. We have some very exciting things planned over the coming weeks and months which you will definitely want to hear about.

Ben

VidZone - Black Eyed Peas

Lady GaGa on VidZone

VidZone - Kings of Leon

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

632 Comments 59 Author replies
Show oldest first
SpikedEffect 11 June, 2009 @ 1:03 pm   1

Cool stuff, look forward to giving it a try when I get home from work, looks awesome though!

Youlikeyams 11 June, 2009 @ 1:03 pm   2

^Grow up, whoever has probably written “first”.

VidZone looks brilliant; piped Last.fm to the post on 360 too! Bring on this afternoon!

Do you know when will vidzone be launched in Portugal?

gamefreak2 11 June, 2009 @ 1:04 pm   4

@hdplsa

Probleble Never!

singularity0821 11 June, 2009 @ 1:05 pm   5

Great, do you already know when it’s coming to the rest of Europe?

It’d be really good if we could share playlists like in Spotify, browsing other peoples recommendations or sending a playlist to a friend would be a good feature I feel.

Psicojacorral 11 June, 2009 @ 1:05 pm   7

Goooooooood!!!

DeathroW22 11 June, 2009 @ 1:06 pm   8

The word “First” should result in an automatic ban!

Anyway, looking forward to this – video quality looks great and since Youtube has blocked the UK from watching all the official music videos this could be a great replacement :)

great, congratulations PSN thats a really good feature.

cc_star 11 June, 2009 @ 1:06 pm   10

Great exclusive with Kasabian and good to see a good mix of non-pop acts as well.

JesteR17011 11 June, 2009 @ 1:07 pm   11

You better have tons of 80s videos!

ageha_stg 11 June, 2009 @ 1:08 pm   12

metallica? nirvana? foof fighters?
ok! count me in!

PaInYbOi 11 June, 2009 @ 1:09 pm   13

Good luck on the launch guys :)

Johnboyy 11 June, 2009 @ 1:09 pm   14

Sweet.

JohnnyCullenBUP 11 June, 2009 @ 1:09 pm   15

Radiohead?

Please dear god say I can swoon over Thom Yorke with this :(

SneakGuy 11 June, 2009 @ 1:10 pm   16

Why not in Norway ?. This is a huge rip off again. ARRG!

I am very disappointed, I was looking forward for this, and the only thing this release does, is to make a lot of people angry.

Again and again,

dillonradio 11 June, 2009 @ 1:10 pm   17

I’ll reserve judgement until I see the content… I hope it’s not just mainstream tastes that are catered for.

Septimus78 11 June, 2009 @ 1:11 pm   18

Very nice… I can’t wait :)

Guillemots 11 June, 2009 @ 1:11 pm   19

another great news, thanks Ben.
Can’t wait to download!

BothBarsOn 11 June, 2009 @ 1:11 pm   20

Sounds great. I too am hoping for mucho Radiohead. Oooh and Pixies. Lots and lots of Pixies.

Also: can’t we permaban people who write “First?” and nothing else?

Haraldo 11 June, 2009 @ 1:12 pm   21

Why isn’t it launched in all of Europe? The excuse given before about problems in “sourcing local advertising that is relevant and appropriate” sounds really lame, at least for Northern Europe (Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway).

Do you have a roadmap when Vidzone is being deployed to rest of Europe?

MC_Febras 11 June, 2009 @ 1:12 pm   22

Cool. Too bad it isn’t available in PORTUGAL… :(

Watchful 11 June, 2009 @ 1:13 pm   23

Used to access VidZone via my NTL cable connection. There was a good eclectic mix of videos then and from the above post the mix seems to have improved. Looking forward to trying this out tonight.

pillaysteven 11 June, 2009 @ 1:13 pm   24

Excellent :). Cannot wait! I have a few questions though.

Is it possible to stream the music without the videos?

Is there music without videos on the service?

Are there any plans to make music streaming available while playing a game? Offline game that is as it would create lag for an online game.

Anyway can’t wait to try it out!

gamefreak2 11 June, 2009 @ 1:14 pm   25

@SneakGuy

We ar use to i’t for Sony to letting us down! They can not advertise this stuff good, they promes somthing and then is goint to be limeted where i’ts going to launche sony is pretty good for back stabbing other country’s wo ar idiots.

Good job!! i doubt it will cater for my music tastes but obviously it will for many, i think its decent you kept it free, could have easily slapped a yearly subscription fee on it… all we need now is the movie one :-)

Desert4PL 11 June, 2009 @ 1:16 pm   27

Yeah! I hope that this will be in Poland :D

gamefreak2 11 June, 2009 @ 1:16 pm   28

@Haraldo

Wait abbout a year :D

Deemerman 11 June, 2009 @ 1:17 pm   29

Oh man, I was really looking forward to this… but no launch in Belgium? Guess I’ll have to be patient for a while longer.

Good news ! Very good feature !
I’m expecting to see it this evening !

Ackers11 11 June, 2009 @ 1:18 pm   31

will you be able to listen to the music in game or whilst browsing through the xmb and internet?

krease2007 11 June, 2009 @ 1:19 pm   32

i can’t wait it looks and sounds great

the way it looks in those pictures looks amazing

will you be adding interviews as well over the coming weeks/months/years?

and maybe a feature to show the top 50 watched videos in the last week??

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 2:16 pm

Thanks! The service will be full of custom picked editorial to keep everyone happy, from playlists to charts to exclusive videos and interviews to live performances and more. All ideas for editorial features are very welcome i will be checking back frequently to get inspiration from all of you who suggest!

ADPolicenaut 11 June, 2009 @ 1:19 pm   33

What about just going to YouTube via the PS3′s web browser?

gamefreak2 11 June, 2009 @ 1:20 pm   34

@Deemerman

No we wont take i’t longer with this We have waited too long for a good service like this, Tand out you’re rights people. And fight.

Sitron_NO 11 June, 2009 @ 1:21 pm   35

Can you please tell us about VidZone and rest of Europe? If we will get it and if so, when?

I am looking forward to this!

Regards,
Sitron_NO

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 2:13 pm

There are a few reasons mainly to do with advertising which means we can’t roll it out everywhere in one go. But we are already looking at ways to roll it out to more territories in the future. We want everyone to enjoy this service so want to get it live everywhere as soon as we can.

Rest assured the blog community will be the first to know when we have more territories to announce so keep checking back for exciting news.

imajinetion 11 June, 2009 @ 1:21 pm   36

What the fudge? Seven countries? Why do you launch a service in just seven countries, one not even being part of Europe. I thought this european blog would bring ALL europeans good stuff, but apparently, it’s hard to do that too.

It looks awesome! I’m very excited about this and looking forward to trying it out as soon as I get home from work.

SneakGuy 11 June, 2009 @ 1:24 pm   38

@gamefreak2

Sony will get a lot more UK PSN users now I think….

Sony will soon have a higher number of PSN account than the number of sold PS3 !.

Demadred 11 June, 2009 @ 1:25 pm   39

so still nothing for us norwegians?… oh well

BritishBlue 11 June, 2009 @ 1:25 pm   40

Thank you Sony Europe, this is quite an amazing triumph you’ve pulled off. I appreciate your efforts and this announcement reassures me that I made the right choice in buying a PS3.

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 2:01 pm

Thanks, We are very proud of the service and sure you will all be big fans. Enjoy

serendipiddy 11 June, 2009 @ 1:26 pm   41

I wonder.. will you be able to log on to other coutries stores to download it..? that might have to be an option for the angry portugese and hungarians.

Yay, vidzone, will check it out later today (assuming aus means nz too.. as we do share everything else on the store..)

Looking forward to it, thanks!

I am very excited about this new service I have always wanted music videos on demand. Please can I request the following artists are added if they are not there at launch?

1) Tina Cousins
25) The Orb
26) Neneh Cherry
27) Evanesance
28) Bob Siclar
29) Betty Boo
30) C&C Music Factory

I know it’s a long list but they are some of my favs!

Many thanks Vidzone

Andy!

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 2:08 pm

I think you will be pleasantly suprised, any that we are missing we are working on as I type to get for your viewing pleasure.

Seraphus-Y 11 June, 2009 @ 1:26 pm   43

As much as I appreciate the effort to add new features, I really bothers me the way things are implemented.

Now with the launch of Vidzone, it becomes apparent that the situation for Europe is again a mixed bag. Only some countries will have access to Vidzone, leaving out quite some countries.

Also most (if not all) EU PSN-stores lack content and a logical layout when compared to the US PSN-store. And of course we’re still missing out on PSN-vouchers (or a decent workaround) here in the EU.

It would be greatly appreciated when SCEE would take some real action to solve these issues. Or when proven to be more complicated, at least communicate about those issues in a more open fashion. This blog is a great start already.

Thanks.

FreeLanZerDK 11 June, 2009 @ 1:27 pm   44

[DELETED] Does this mean it won’t be available in Denmark?

herepoler 11 June, 2009 @ 1:31 pm   45

Will Vidzone in Russia?

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 2:19 pm

Not yet Herepoler. Bloggers will be first to know when we announce new countries for the service so keep checking back!

randellaUK 11 June, 2009 @ 1:31 pm   46

How big will the download be any hint please?

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 2:09 pm

Not very big at all, will take seconds to download on a decent internet connection.

BritishBlue 11 June, 2009 @ 1:32 pm   47

@42
Hahah, are you serious?! Of course the British Isles are part of Europe! Sony were right to release Vidzone over here because a sizable chunk of their european customers are here too.

daffycare 11 June, 2009 @ 1:32 pm   48

looking forward to trying this later on thank you for this service sony

Ne0N_420 11 June, 2009 @ 1:33 pm   49

AT LAST something the americans dont have hahaha its a shame the whole of europe cant have vidzone yet.. but remember guys/gals this is on trial in big countries to see if its successful or not keep your heads up you should receive it soon & one more thing why put FIRST and not add anything thats very immature and shouldn’t be done. …………..LAST…………..

FreeLanZerDK 11 June, 2009 @ 1:34 pm   50

We need official confirmation on the specific countries it will be available in and which it wont be.

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 2:11 pm

The official launch territories are UK, Ireland, Spain, France, Germany, Italy and Australia. Keep checking back here for any news for new countries.

Load all