Posted 2:58pm

PSPgo – Your Questions Answered

Hi everyone. My name’s Adam and I am the European Product Manager for PSPgo. Thanks to all who answered the call earlier this week and submitted questions, we have literally had hundreds! It is great to see that there is so much interest in PSPgo. I will try to answer as many as I can but any questions not answered in this post will be answered in forthcoming updates. I will provide you with as much detail as I can.

xeeki: Are there any technological improvements over the PSP-3000? Like, the screen, or hardware-wise…

Xeeki has asked about detail on the technological improvements of PSPgo over other models. The 2 biggest differences are the removal of the UMD drive and the new design. PSPgo replaces the UMD drive with 16GB of flash memory and the stylish slide open design has made the PSPgo smaller and lighter than ever making it truly pocket-size.

We have also added 3 new features:

• Game sleep function: You will be able to operate the XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) while suspending the gameplay temporarily.
  • Bluetooth function: This is going to let you use your favourite wireless head phones to listen to music, play games and watch videos….
  • Clock and calendar application: We have included a clock and calendar application which can be viewed both when the sliding panel is open and closed.

Nemhome: Will the PSPgo be delivered with a USB cable?

I am happy to say that the answer is yes. PSPgo will come bundled with everything you need for you to start enjoying all it has to offer. Included in the box along with the PSPgo will be a USB cable, AC adaptor and Media Go software.

PSPgo comes bundled with Media Go, which is an easy to use PC application that makes it simple for you to browse PlayStation Store, as well as organise and store all your favourite downloaded games, demos, music, movies and photos.

We know that being able to effectively store, organise and access your content is key so we have created a video to help explain how you can make the most of PSPgo. Check it out.

disc: What is the battery life like?

We have adopted an embedded battery to realise a smaller and lighter PSP system. The battery life is equivalent with the current models meaning approximately 3 to 6 hours for gameplays and approximately 3 to 5 hours for playing back videos. Hope that answers your question disc.

KSPRAYDAD has been asking about peripherals so here is an update:
The peripherals on offer at launch for PSPgo are USB cable, AC adaptor, Video-out cables (AV cable and component AV cable) and a Cradle. We are currently considering introducing other peripherals for PSPgo but can not provide details at this point.

Another big question was if the current peripherals can be used with PSPgo. We have reduced the size of the USB connector and introduced multi-function features which has allowed us to obtain a smaller and lighter PSP. As such the peripherals for the current PSP models do not currently work on PSPgo however we are considering introducing a special attachment that can connect current peripherals to PSPgo.

Can I download games on to a memory stick?

PSPgo is disc free with a 16GB of built-in memory for storing all your essential games, videos, photos and music. However if you do fill this up there are a couple of options to store and manage your games, music, videos and photos. You will be able to back up to a PC via Media Go or to the M2 Memory Stick to store more content for PSPgo.

Torence: Why have you changed the format of the removable memory?

Torence has asked the above question and it is a good one. PSPgo uses M2 memory sticks which are smaller and take up less room on the device. This meant that we saved space and could make the PSPgo pocket-sized. However, you will be able to transfer the data from your Memory Stick Duo to your PC via Media Go and then transfer it to the PSPgo or M2.

theTMO / pavianexodus: Will it be possible to transfer my UMD games to the new PSPgo?

We know that there are many of you excited about PSPgo but are hesitant at leaving your UMD games collection behind. We recognize this and as such we are planning a goodwill programme and will unveil more details soon.

We also know that there are many already released UMD games that you may not own but want to play in the future on your PSPgo. To make this happen we are considering every possibility to bring downloadable versions for the majority of past titles available only in UMD to the PlayStation Store along with all new releases. We will announce further details on this.

How much will PSPgo cost?

Many of you have asked about the price of PSPgo throughout Europe and the PAL territories and we announced at E3 that PSPgo will retail in Europe at 249 Euros. Many of you have asked more specifically what price this will mean in your local currency. Unfortunately at this stage we are unable to define prices in countries where the Euro is not present at this time but I can assure you that as soon as these prices have been agreed upon I will let you know.

Will the price differ between the UMD version and the downloadable version?

I know this is something that is a concern for you. Unfortunately, I don’t have the answer for you on this at the moment. I can however assure you that I will share this information with you as soon as I get it.

I hope I have managed to answer some of the most burning questions! Feedback is always welcome and we do appreciate all the comments and questions. I will be posting regularly to update you on the latest information on PSPgo.

Thanks!
Adam

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

157 Comments 2 Author replies
Show oldest first
weezereire 12 June, 2009 @ 3:03 pm   1

Most of this we already knew!

pabloamigo 12 June, 2009 @ 3:03 pm   2

Thanks Adam

I am quite tempted by the PSPGo.

I know it may be a little early to confirm, but do you have any idea about software that may launch around the time of the PSPGo?

Cheers

Adam Grant 12 June, 2009 @ 4:20 pm

Hi pabloamigo. We have many great games coming out around the launch of PSPgo including LittleBIGPlanet, MotorStorm Arctic Edge, Invizimals, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and for this first time Gran Turismo will be available on your PSP!

Check out our E3 coverage for more info.

krae_man 12 June, 2009 @ 3:04 pm   4

WHat do you know, you’re both unwilling and unable to answer the important questions making this Q&A a giant waste of time.

Bearskopff 12 June, 2009 @ 3:05 pm   5

I’m guessing that’s a no in regards to my “Can you send me a free PSP?” question then…

For shame. :(

Still, can’t wait to give it a try myself. Nice to get some solid answers as well regarding a few issues I had when it was first unveiled/leaked. Look forward to hearing more details!

Bear :)

PaInYbOi 12 June, 2009 @ 3:07 pm   6

Nice questions and good answers! I am looking forward to the PSPgo, just as long as I can get my UMD games back on the PSPgo via a download or something :)

Awesome!

OptimumAxe 12 June, 2009 @ 3:08 pm   7

What a shame, probably no OSX support :( It’s like they refuse to work with it…
That sucks

fabrikhu 12 June, 2009 @ 3:08 pm   8

No words about Hungary. Thank you, SONY.

Well, that wasnt really informative. Nothing new, just a recap of all the info that already came out. Bummer, I hoped for some actual answers.

JohnnyCullenBUP 12 June, 2009 @ 3:11 pm   10

Thanks for the info.

I wanna buy one, but unless its £200, I’ll pass.

JediEagle 12 June, 2009 @ 3:11 pm   11

Yeah, still no news about countries that dont have access to PSN, this just sucks

Ikkarus 12 June, 2009 @ 3:12 pm   12

Is the Media Go software Mac compatible?

LFC1984 12 June, 2009 @ 3:12 pm   13

No explanation of the ridiculous price then?

I’ll give it a miss.

ThatBoyTim 12 June, 2009 @ 3:14 pm   14

This is too expensive at more than £200.

Smoutefretter_BE 12 June, 2009 @ 3:15 pm   15

I’m happy with the answers but still not convinced to buy one.

so if you could tell me WHY to buy the new psp I might think about it!

krae_man 12 June, 2009 @ 3:18 pm   16

Major fail on the battery life thing too.

hedges1001 12 June, 2009 @ 3:18 pm   17

“we cant be bothered so we’ll post an old video” did anyone else get this feeling. and i still dont see how the price is justified it costs more than a 360 (arcade unit) with a gold subscription TBH i’ll pass on this until sony gets the point. you charge less for fewer features not more.

tundra_ 12 June, 2009 @ 3:18 pm   18

There were dozens of people asking whether the PS Store will be extended to the whole European Union. There is no point releasing PSP Go in countries without the Store.

Delriach 12 June, 2009 @ 3:21 pm   19

You know… a good question would be if you can have multiple users on the PSP like you can on the PS3. What if I bought something with a one PSN account and I wanted to use a new account in the future but keep using my games as well as new purchased games from the new PSN account. Would that be possible?

Nagash_MalKaVian 12 June, 2009 @ 3:23 pm   20

meh.. too expensive for me, and I still don’t know if I will be able to use my UMD games for free on my PSP go!…

for that price, I could buy a psp3000 + 32Gb Ms. so… I love Sony but I think the price is not fair at all.

czekers 12 June, 2009 @ 3:24 pm   21

IMO price is too hight. 250 euros for PSP without UMD-reader, smaller screen and worse keys is too much. Especially in europe, when Sony calculates 1$ as 1 euro.

Agree with the last comment.

MobileTone 12 June, 2009 @ 3:27 pm   23

TBH i’d rather spend my money on the new iPHONE, unless Sony opens up and allows user developed app’s the PSP is still laying dead in the water, the Homebrew scene may be accused of killing the PSP via piracy etc but there is a lot of untapped talent there that could be used to Sonys advantage. Shame they don’t want to know.

Was really keen but that still woeful battery life and the quite frankly insulting price discrepancy between Europe (especially the UK) and America, even after tax, makes this a definite no.

FishFingers 12 June, 2009 @ 3:35 pm   25

The price is all wrong, as Pachter said this is cheaper to produce than the PSP that is currently on sale – so why does it cost more?

elephant_stone 12 June, 2009 @ 3:35 pm   26

I have an even more important question about the hardware:

- Will the PSPgo be compatible with WPA2 encryption protocol as per most wireless adaptors on the market. Its basically industry standard now and my PSP-2000 doesnt have it!!

Nothing new here. May i kindly ask the reason why you are neglecting all questions regarding the PSN Cards deployment in the EU region?

All the best.

krae_man 12 June, 2009 @ 3:40 pm   28

I get like 10 hours of battery life with my PSP 2000 and 2200mah stamina battery.

Good thing I picked up an extra one before you guys stopped making them in an attempt to make PSP 1000′s stop working since you think everyone who owns one is a pirate.

Nagash_MalKaVian 12 June, 2009 @ 3:42 pm   29

what I was saying @21.. 1$ is never 1€.
I think europe is important enough for sony, the user base is big and they slap us this way…

I’ll be passing until the price is more balanced.

Dear Sony, thank you for once again repeating your promo-talk and avoiding to give serious answers to any “sensitive” questions posted. If and when you ever really want to communicate with your customers (past, present and future), we all look forward to hearing from you. Until then, let’s all just sit back, enjoy the sunshine and totally ignore this sales pitch… and see what gives in October.

Thanks for the info Adam. How do you respond to people who tell you that the price is too high when compared to the current PSP model (or similar handheld gaming devices such as the Nintendo DSI)?

Yes, we understand it has 16GB flash memory but surely this addition doesn’t cost more than the custom UMD drive that’s been removed (?)

So, bearing this is mind doesn’t it make more sense to give the PSPGo a fair price to ensure it’s success and to ensure gamers get value for money?

Psicojacorral 12 June, 2009 @ 3:45 pm   32

Thank you for the info!

Stargatefreak 12 June, 2009 @ 3:51 pm   33

will the new 2 features are also aviable for the PSP 2000?
* Game sleep function: You will be able to operate the XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) while suspending the gameplay temporarily.

* Clock and calendar application: We have included a clock and calendar application which can be viewed both when the sliding panel is open and closed.

Adam Grant 12 June, 2009 @ 4:08 pm

Hi Stargatefreak (nice name).

The game sleep function takes advantage of the internal flash memory on PSPgo, so it is not available on other PSP models.

The clock and calendar app are specifically designed for PSPgo and there are no plans to put them on the other PSP models at this time.

Hope that answers your question.

Since my above comment is going to get moderated ill remove the swearing.

Skirted around all the important questions like where is our video store, where are our PSN cards, and your price is a flipping joke, this console is cheaper to make than a 3000 but retails at almost double the price, you ought to be ASHAMED.

rustyboy 12 June, 2009 @ 4:12 pm   35

What i want to know is will there be any mac software to use with the psp is media go compatible with macs. Not everybody has a pc and like me i have a mac. Will there be a mac version of this software.

StargateFan 12 June, 2009 @ 4:13 pm   36

I still want to know if there are plans for a second analogue stick.

yellams 12 June, 2009 @ 4:16 pm   37

Although I would like one, what’s the point?
As I read an article yesterday that highlighted how pointless this new PSP was, you’re making all old UMD into digital downloads…so I buy a few large memory sticks and use my current PSP and I still get to keep UMD.
Sure this is a new iteration and I’d really like Bluetooth, but at the price it’s being pitched at, it’s just no where near worth it.

gjetaren 12 June, 2009 @ 4:17 pm   38

Thanks for the answers and video! Nice questions as well, im getting one for sure now :)

tbisley 12 June, 2009 @ 4:17 pm   39

Dancing around the price subject yet again…

Ftwrthtx 12 June, 2009 @ 4:19 pm   40

Will the GPS attachment and software ever come to the PSP GO in North America?

Heres a good tip for you guys, sell it for 200 euros (VERY, VERY, VERY MAX) and youll find you make more money than trying to sell it at that joke of a ripoff price your trying atm, just a though

CodeMonkey_UK 12 June, 2009 @ 4:26 pm   42

As a potential customer i’d like to voice my thoughts. If i buy a PSP i see two options.

1. Either i buy a PSP-3000 for about £130 new, pickup a handful of cheap or 2nd hand UMD games to play and then sell them on when i’m bored with them. Also having the chance to download games if they are cheaper than UMD.

2. Spend £250 on a PSP Go and then download games at full price without the ability to sell them on when i’m bored with them.

Looking at it from a first year perspective with option 1 i could save money initially and spend less overall in games significantly.

Sure the PSP Go looks nicer, but seriously the price tag of £250 for what i see as a “dumbed down” version is pretty insane.

Personally i’ll pass on the PSP Go thanks.

Ivan_Krazy 12 June, 2009 @ 4:26 pm   43

I love my iPod Touch and I can download free stuff and I just like the easy interface with the iPod Touch and the automatic syc feature to backup all applications via iTunes. To be honest I don’t like the PSP and even though I do own a PSP-2000 I haven’t used it in a decade. My friends LOVE the iPod Touch and they always want to borrow it at school! Sorry PSP is not worth it and especially at that price.

nick_gc 12 June, 2009 @ 4:29 pm   44

Hmmm. Disappointing. We already knew this information.

Michelasso 12 June, 2009 @ 4:29 pm   45

To drop the UMD has been IMVHO opinion the most stupid thing. I love the new PSP Go design, but I want to be able to borrow some titles from my friends as well. And then.. 250 euro w/o the UMD drive? it looks a little too pricey to me.

Apnomis 12 June, 2009 @ 4:30 pm   46

Well that was all very generic, and you didn’t answer any of my questions either!

I also can’t believe you didn’t address the PSN Card issue either, although it doesn’t bother me as I have a credit card, it must have been mentioned in every other comment!!!

Pentavus 12 June, 2009 @ 4:31 pm   47

When does Europe get its prepaid cards? I don’t see why i want to buy the psp go when i can’t buy games for it.

Ivan_Krazy 12 June, 2009 @ 4:34 pm   48

I’m just reading through the comments and it seems PSPG0! is a major fail. Ah well I wonder if Sony will ever surpass the iPod Touch/iPhone features? Personally I don’t think so. :(

vonhammer 12 June, 2009 @ 4:39 pm   49

I really wanted one but will never pay 250 for one,sub 180 yes but not above

Ackers11 12 June, 2009 @ 4:39 pm   50

I was wondering why the psp go cost so much more in the EU territory then the Americas? That to me is a big slap in the face – why do we have to pay more for the EXACT SA<E product when people across the world get it cheaper. If the pspgo was cheaper then i would have no quarrels but 250 euros is a complete no go for me – i could buy an Xbox 360 arcade for less than that!

My rant is over – i love how you have improved the psp, it is amazing but i think if it were a tad cheaper then i think many more people would buy one.

Load all