Posted 1:06pm

PAIN On Blu-Ray Disc

Hi guys. I’m Joey, the SCEE Product Manager for PAIN . I’m really excited to tell you that we’ll be releasing all the best and most painful bits of PAIN PS3 on Blu-ray disc next week.

PAIN - Movie Studio, 1

Every environment, such as Downtown, Movie Studios, Abusement Park and Sore Spots, will be included so you can fling your chosen victim into Tanks, Cannons or even exploding teddy bears for massive combo scores by creating as much PAIN as possible.

Speaking of victims: Jarvis, Tati, Ginger and Cookie will be there, and keep a look out for the Ded Baron as you play through PAIN Darts, Mime Toss, Fortress, Spank the Monkey (Those damn, dirty apes!) and the other crazy game modes.

PAIN - Jarvis

We’re also adding in the great PAIN labs, where new developer-created, beta-style levels will be made available for free from Idol Minds on a weekly basis.

PAIN PS3 will be out on Wednesday 24 June in Europe, 25 June in Australia and New Zealand, and the UK and Ireland on Friday 26 June for €24.99/£19.99. More pictures of the levels and characters are in our Flickr account.

Thanks,

Joey

PAIN - Abusement Park, 4

PAIN - Sore Spots 05

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

46 Comments 9 Author replies
Show oldest first

ImperatorA3 16 June, 2009 @ 1:18 pm   1

Nice, when is WipEout coming on BD?

Joey Payne 16 June, 2009 @ 2:20 pm

Hi ImperatorA3,

Sorry I don’t have a date for you on this yet but I’m sure there will be a blog update from the WipEout Product Manager very soon

daffycare 16 June, 2009 @ 1:25 pm   2

nice to see u supporting the people who can not buy games from the psn store the game might now see a bigger audance

awesome, which characters will be included with the disc? Just the ones mentioned or all of them?

Joey Payne 16 June, 2009 @ 2:23 pm

Hi Phuquit,

Every character you have seen on PSN version will be included, bar the Hoff.

Did not like Pain at all. At least I got it for free…

Nice idea, but I already bought PAIN when it was on sale over Christmas, although it this is probably a better value way of getting all the expansion packs included for those that haven’t tried it yet.

To be honest I think it’s the sort of game that suits being on the HDD, it’s not something I can imagine playing when I was looking for a disc based game to load. But I know some people don’t like digital content or can’t even access it if they don’t have a credit card or live in Hungary etc so it’s good that more people will have the opportunity to play it.

P.S. Shouldn’t the title read “PAIN On Blu-ray Disc”? – Disk = Magnetic Media like Floppy Disk, Disc = Optical Media like Blu-ray Disc…

RRP in AUD?
You really need to start including this in ALL eligible posts.

I loved PAIN to bits!
I’ve only bought the main game though, so I might buy the Blu-Ray version of the game for the DLC. :D

It’s especially great fun with friends so this would be handy to take around with you to your friend’s house. :)

RagingWhisky 16 June, 2009 @ 1:48 pm   8

[JohnSketch]

was hoping this wouldve been max payne :(

FrankieZappa 16 June, 2009 @ 2:12 pm   9

Great idea Joey….i had the idea to buy it on the store,now i’ll wait for the Bluray to come out! 25€ is a great price!!!

Gambe1984 16 June, 2009 @ 2:12 pm   10

good idea in principle, but itll bump the price up of the game, so could be bad in some ways too.

Never a fan of the sillyness of pain, not my cuppa.

Any chance of some tools for user created content, LittleBIGPlanet style?

Joey Payne 16 June, 2009 @ 2:31 pm

Nice idea Daft,

But i don’t think anything is on the way at the moment.

The developer, Idol Minds, do check the blog and forums for ideas from the community to include in the game, one recent example being PAINalympics.

So you never know ! :)

Good news! I’ve held off buying this game since I was waiting for an all-in-one package like this (either download or disc). Having it on disc is ideal as I’m sure the online retailers will discount it before long (and I couldn’t see that happening all the time the PlayStation store had it as an exclusive).

maniulo 16 June, 2009 @ 2:59 pm   14

If it’s a blu-ray release, will it have a platinum trophy? Will the PSN version feature a platinum trophy?

KnizzleHizzle 16 June, 2009 @ 3:04 pm   15

maniulo: According to the PAIN crew there’s no plat for this as it doesn’t fall under “bluray” game internally or some paperwork kind of thing like that.

TimoTheThug 16 June, 2009 @ 3:27 pm   16

Great news, this sure is tempting to pick up! Awesome to release it on Blu-Ray since I and a lot of folks don’t have a Credit Card so this way we can finally expierence Pain and it’s difficult trophies ;)!

Gambe1984 16 June, 2009 @ 3:31 pm   17

@ Joey Payne – As this is a retail package now, will a platinum trophy be added as required for all retail games.

samich2007 16 June, 2009 @ 3:52 pm   18

Hey Joey,
Great that it’s coming to blu-ray so everyone can play it :)
But I have oné question!
Here in The Netherlands every webshop and retailer is saying that Sony gives Pain an price tag from €29,99. IS it a mistake in your blogg post (€24,99) or do we have to pay a little more in The Netherlands?

Thanks :)

Jack-Bauer-89 16 June, 2009 @ 4:01 pm   19

Does it need installing? i really need the memory.

Joey Payne 16 June, 2009 @ 4:39 pm

Hi Jack-Bauer-89,

There is no need to install this to your HDD, its runs off of the Blu-ray disc

NightHawk767 16 June, 2009 @ 4:37 pm   20

This is great news! I hope this happens with more lovely PSN games so that our HDD doesn’t get even fuller (only 500mb left here, looking for new one). This would be good with Wipeout + Fury expansion as well as the whole PixelJunk serie when Shooter comes out.

owen29051992 16 June, 2009 @ 4:38 pm   21

im also wondering if this will now come with a platinum trophy, will it?

Zoolevation 16 June, 2009 @ 4:41 pm   22

For people with no creditcard is this great news!!!
I have a creditcard but the people don’t have one or they’re under 18, is no availability of Playstation Network cards a huge leak…

Grey_Fox007 16 June, 2009 @ 5:03 pm   23

@ last! I can finally purchase it!! :-P

paddybee 16 June, 2009 @ 5:05 pm   24

great news as I don’t have a credit card its quite annoying to see so many great things only on psn, I hope this means more of this stuff will come out on disc….

ff7 lol

SeasonForTreason 16 June, 2009 @ 6:16 pm   25

I regret paying for this game… =(

almighty-slayer 16 June, 2009 @ 6:37 pm   26

Awesome idea guys. Hope it sells well :)

Diablo_Rosso 16 June, 2009 @ 7:21 pm   27

I think releasing WipEout HD on BD would be a better idea.

Good idea
Chuck on Wipeout and the Pixeljunk games and sell it for £40, easy money ;)

Why not the Hoff? He’s the Hoff!

It’s like Knight Rider without the Hoff! Baywatch without the Hoff!

HOFF WITHOUT THE HOFF!

CRASHBASHUK 16 June, 2009 @ 7:56 pm   30

hi i searched this game up on disc and i found it on play.com wll it be in game like R&CQ4B?

Darkos87 16 June, 2009 @ 7:59 pm   31

Your trophies are TOO HARD

skidpro 16 June, 2009 @ 8:57 pm   32

yowsa..its £17.99 on play.com, well preordered now along with a Monster Hunter Freedom Unite PSP 3000 bundle, ooohh next week is gonna be so cool….I am glad they did this…I dont like digital downloads ( I own a 360 too and see that GTA4 DLC is coming to disc so will be picking that instead of downloading, I downloaded Op anchorage for Fallout 3 so I am bit annoyed as its coming to disc too) I prefer physical media…Wipeout HD would be great, I got a PSP 2000 (for my son) and got Wipeout Pulse today and that rocks…so been thinking about the HD download, think I will hang on, they might put it out on BD, yowsa…:)

fanpages 16 June, 2009 @ 10:06 pm   33

Hi Mr “Payne” [:)],

I hope the release of the title as a physical product is not the end of the development, but a revenue-generating device for further improvements & enhancements.

How about a Special Edition with a bundled Jarvis figurine, or an audio CD of Chuck Carr’s Theme Tune, or even the numerous PS3 Themes also available from the PlayStation Store?

Please could you confirm the content of the Blu-ray disc edition, and how this compares to what I have already downloaded?

Pain (Full Game) with all updates to date (including the “Platinum Club” & Version 2.93 introducing the “Online” mode)
Fun With Explosives Pack
David Hasselhoff
Ao No Kutsu
Smack Pack [Pain Darts & Pain Fortress]
El Chile Grande
Brock Lee
Daxtar
Sore Spots [Morningwood High School, top-secret military hanger, & PAINalympics]
The Ded Baron

I would not begrudge supporting the product further to allow me to easily move my ‘investment’ between PS3 consoles, but I was just curious what was actually going to be included & playable directly from a disc-based version.

Thank you for your time.

BFN,

fp.

GHenrik 16 June, 2009 @ 11:36 pm   34

Congratz on making your way to a disc. I’m sure there is a bunch of kids waiting to get this game. Some children without techsavy parents don’t connect the ps3 to the internet, even less willing to flip out their credit card and pay online.

TASTYRYAN 17 June, 2009 @ 12:17 am   35

Sweet this BLUE-RAY trend should continue. It’s going the right way.
Many people as you know couldn’t purchase PSN content just because they didn’t had a creditcard.

Finally people in the EU the Biggest market for ps3 as for now, can purchase this fine content!

Keep it up SONY!

ColinR64 17 June, 2009 @ 9:56 am   36

Thanks Joey! I’ve been wanting to buy the DLC for some time now, but now I can just get it all in one disc. :)

Joey Payne 17 June, 2009 @ 12:26 pm   37

Thanks for all the positive comments !

Unfortunately there are currently no plans for a Platinum trophy for PAIN

Fantatier 17 June, 2009 @ 1:00 pm   38

will there be a complete pack with everything included on the PSN too?

Joey Payne 18 June, 2009 @ 5:06 pm

Hi Fantatier,

Sorry but there are no plans for a PAIN bundle for the PSN

Pacman_Ownage 17 June, 2009 @ 2:49 pm   39

…. im not sure whether to be really happy, or really ticked off, i would much rather this on disc to save a lot of memory, but ive bought Pain a looong time ago, and have had the expansions and characters (not all)…..so no hope of me getting any money back :D :P :(

This is great news.

KnizzleHizzle 18 June, 2009 @ 11:34 am   41

I’m totally buying it, if only as a “travel” version as none of my friends have all the addons while I simply buy anything pain related, no questions asked.

Midnite_Blaze 18 June, 2009 @ 4:41 pm   42

Hi Joey,

For a long time now I have been really interested in this title, however since it is a rather unique concept and one-of-a-kind I am not entirely sure if it is my thing. Is there any chance that you could release a PSN playable demo around the same time as the Blu-ray release so that users like me can get a feel for the gameplay before potentially buying the full game? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel.

BalramRules 21 June, 2009 @ 11:01 am   43

Can you leak the front-cover & back-cover of the Blu-ray Disc box, please?

fanpages 21 June, 2009 @ 12:10 pm   44

#43 [BalramRules]:

Front of box (with Zoom function):

[ http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B002BA52U0/ ]

BFN,

fp.

Hi guys,

Many thanks for releasing it on disk, cause there is no PS Store in Hungary right now. Can’t wait to play the game! By the way, it WILL be released in Hungary (you know, the little country with huge plains and goulash soup in Central Europe), won’t it?

Many thanks again,

Roky

Joey Payne 25 June, 2009 @ 1:21 pm

Hi Roky94,

Yes PAIN is coming to Hungary (release date of the 24/06/09), enjoy !

P.S. love that Goulash !

castonm 28 June, 2009 @ 10:23 pm   46

Just got it and it requires a 1gb install, which is annoying as to have it downloaded from the PSN store is also about 1gb. So no luck with freeing up hard disc space! I suppose the only advantage is that it’s marginally quicker and easier to install it from the disc than it is to download it.