Posted 4:00pm

MAG Developer Diary – Episode #1

Hi everyone. After the successful unveiling of MAG at E3, I’m sure everyone is itching to get more information on what MAG will offer, who the different PMC factions are and why everyone is fighting in The Shadow War.

To help explain this and hopefully answer your questions, Zipper have provided a short movie that should give you an insight into some of the cool characters and weapons, different areas of conflict and the true scale and intensity of the combat. I hope you enjoy this taster and feel free to post your responses below or in the MAG Forums!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

49 Comments 5 Author replies
Show oldest first
Grind_Axis 17 June, 2009 @ 4:04 pm   1

Wish I has a faster internet connection… would’ve bought this game in a heartbeat. ;_;

pilotguy08 17 June, 2009 @ 4:07 pm   2

sweet, any word on the beta :p

Great, so now I can get shot in the head by more people than ever before… I need more practice at the whole online FPS thing.

Seriously though, this is looking good. Very good.

Galvanise_ 17 June, 2009 @ 4:25 pm   4

As long as this game is relatively bug free at launch, and there is a fair selection of things to customise myself with, I’m in.

FIGHTFULL 17 June, 2009 @ 4:27 pm   5

awesome
hope i get in the fist beta hehe

tealcsg1 17 June, 2009 @ 4:34 pm   6

Looks good

jaferris 17 June, 2009 @ 4:46 pm   7

this game looks awesome cannot wait for the release :)

looking good, can’t wait to play it.

when’s episode 2 going to be released?

daffycare 17 June, 2009 @ 4:51 pm   9

so many people killing each other in 1 game it’s going to be mayhem can not wait

imajinetion 17 June, 2009 @ 4:54 pm   10

Great game, but the name is kinda dull. Massive Action Game? -.-

Elliott Martin 17 June, 2009 @ 5:15 pm

“Massive Action Game” was a working title when it was announced at E3 a year ago. We have since decided to stick with the much snappier ‘MAG’.

Kyo_Daikun 17 June, 2009 @ 5:03 pm   11

Day 1 purchase for me, love to get more info if there will be a bigger beta tho

daithic94 17 June, 2009 @ 5:09 pm   12

cant wait! hopefully MAG will be able to stand up and be as good or even better than other online shooters

RagingWhisky 17 June, 2009 @ 5:23 pm   13

[JohnSketch]

Dear MAG Diary,

Killed 127 people on my team today, they tried to get me to take the flag…but I didn’t want to.

P.S. Need Some Semi Skimmed – have run out.

Diablo_Rosso 17 June, 2009 @ 5:24 pm   14

Is there a single player campaign mode?

Silent_Gig 17 June, 2009 @ 5:26 pm   15

A question that came to mind while watching the video, how long to matches last or are they drop-in and drop-out types of games.

vonhammer 17 June, 2009 @ 5:27 pm   16

“Is there a single player campaign mode?”

Online only,I think there will be training.

Cheers for the vid Elliott

RadioactiveMouse 17 June, 2009 @ 5:30 pm   17

Still no footage of Sniping :(

Looks really great fun and look forward to getting hands on it when it is release or if I’m jammy enough to make the beta ;)

Nice to see a EU producer video diary :)

I think this game is going to implode my bt home hub

MobileTone 17 June, 2009 @ 5:57 pm   19

LOL @ JohnSketch

you think he’s joking, try playing KZ2 with him :P

@ Diablo_Rosso – go and stand in the corner right now and think about what you just asked.

MobileTone 17 June, 2009 @ 5:58 pm   20

@ E-ROLE – wouldn’t be the first time hey -haha- ;)

monkee1 17 June, 2009 @ 6:06 pm   21

can we please please have home game-launching on release for this title?

makingdamage 17 June, 2009 @ 6:12 pm   22

I love the battlefield games (variation is great!) but not so much the cod and the likes, so what kind of vehicle will we be able to control? Tanks would be great!

Also, will the battle only take place outside or can you enter the buildings as well?

Elliott Martin 18 June, 2009 @ 10:30 am

It will be possible to control ground-based vehicles, such as APCs. Yes, you can also enter certain buildings within the world.

Tha_soh 17 June, 2009 @ 6:13 pm   23

hoppefully I can get in the beta.

TheBussinessMan 17 June, 2009 @ 6:18 pm   24

Wow. Looks really cool.

I hope the character customisation is extensive so I can really personalize my own soldier.

How does voice chat work if your a commander and trying to organize 100 or so players?
(Hope I didnt ask a really nooby question!)

meccamonty 17 June, 2009 @ 6:44 pm   25

will mag come with the official ps3 headset that came with socom? it seems very heavily reliant on a headset.

krease2007 17 June, 2009 @ 6:59 pm   26

i will be first in line at the store on release day for this

will you be doing a bundle(game and headset)not that i need a headset but so that there is no excuse for people not having one

cant wait for the beta :)

Darkos87 17 June, 2009 @ 7:27 pm   27

Uhm I am a bit sceptical about this game because loads of gaming journalists have complained of LAG during E3

TehPhilosopher 17 June, 2009 @ 7:55 pm   28

Will there be friendly-fire ON servers? FF off is arcade mode, especially on a game like this.

This promises to be the Holy Grail of FPSs for the hardcore FPS players out there (15+ years of FPS experience here) – I can’t wait, and I officially declare myself a fanboi of this game. Beta, first day, collector’s edition.

I couldn’t care less about single-player campaign, I’ll jump right in online. This sounds like there’s finally a point to progressing your character, not just an excuse to force players to play more (looking at you KZ2). It appears you guys have learned from the good and bad of what the Battlefield series on PC did, and improved upon it!

I think the biggest challenge is to gently force (ie. encourage) players to go for the objectives, instead of 256-player deathmatch. The scoring system seems to support this well – it’s usually better to reward than to punish for the “right” behavior, which appears to be the way you guys are going.

TheBusinessMan: Commanders have commander-only channel, so they can plan squad attacks without having to talk to tens of people at a time, and can then communicate their squads orders to the grunts.

enormhi 17 June, 2009 @ 8:11 pm   29

Nice!

DTS_MAN 17 June, 2009 @ 8:18 pm   30

NICE!

Haskell420 17 June, 2009 @ 8:57 pm   31

Hi Elliot,
The game looks GREAT. When it was 1st shown at E3, my mouth dropped and the first thing in my brain was HOLY SH#! Then when that subsided,I felt like YODA repeating MINE.. MINE. MIN..MINE….
Elliot i have posted many messages in the MAG Forums, especially in he US Forum. I sent in a few emails asking, and hoping to be invited into the Closed Beta for it.
I cannot stress enough lol..I so much want to be apart of it, and help make it the best game it can be by giving you my undivided attention to detail and Beta experience
PSN: Haskell420 – The MASTER BETA’R’:
PSU member since 2001 : GAP member since 2004 w/ total of 22 Beta Tests on the PS2:
NOW 14 Betas for the PS3: The 4 latest in 2009
1.Super Car Challenge, Uncharted 2,
3.FAT PRINCESS, 4.FREE REALMS-Battle Forge
and I’m currently awaiting 2 more Beta Redmption codes for 2 games I know I am in.

5.Resistance: FOM 2, 6.HOME, Little Big Planet,
7.SOCOM :Confrontation,8. Motorstorm Pacific Rift, 9. 2 Grand Turismo’s, 11.Rainbow Six

PLEASE ELLIOT, LET ME HELP YOU! EMAIL ME!

Eddie H
PSN ID: Haskell420

Andy-McK-4ever 17 June, 2009 @ 9:00 pm   32

Looks like it’s getting better and better. They just have to create a good friend invite system and the game will be flying off the shelves

BritishBlue 17 June, 2009 @ 10:13 pm   33

It’s a great looking preview, Elliott, frankly I’m astounded Zipper have managed to keep it looking so good considering the amount of players in a game. The best war games/movies pay particular attention to the audio; it really helps immerse you in the experience.
I’m curious, how much effort has Zipper put into the sound effects? Did they take sound bites from real world weapons? And what have they got in store for those of us with surround sound systems?

Elliott Martin 18 June, 2009 @ 10:36 am

Thanks BritishBlue. As far as I know (and have heard) the team are using totally authentic sound effects. With their pedigree on SOCOM games, this is something that they are very used to. Furthermore, keep in mind that *any* sound you hear in the game, no matter how distant, has been created by an event triggered by other players!

Killa_Cobra_ST 17 June, 2009 @ 10:57 pm   34

So far its looking like a day 1 buy! Hopefully we get some sort of demo or even an open beta would be good too.

MazzingerZ 17 June, 2009 @ 10:57 pm   35

Looking great! I’d like SONY to give a BETA key to all those that bought SOCOM:Confrontation as an apology for selling a broken game and taking so long to fix it…still very cumbersom to get online…too many blue screens!!!

MAG is looking really good and I’m sure it won’t dissapoint… will it be pay to play?…distrubuted via PSN?

What about voice chat between friends in the same squad? please make possible to get into a match with friends in an easy way

Not everybody is a hardcore gamer…some of use likes to game once in a while with our buddies in the SAME team!

almighty-slayer 17 June, 2009 @ 11:35 pm   36

Can’t wait to start playing this :) Will be epic fun as part of a clan

almighty-slayer 17 June, 2009 @ 11:38 pm   37

lol Home game launching…you could empty Home’s entire network with one match

xxPIETROxx 17 June, 2009 @ 11:43 pm   38

I hope it controls well, im after a Halo like experience for playstation. I was hoping Killzone would provide that but the controls were to hard to get used to…

Praying I can get into the beta.

PLD_Danny1989 18 June, 2009 @ 12:39 am   39

This game looks like a lot of fun. I really wanna try this out in beta when it rolls around =)

@ Zipper Interactive:

Keep up the great work guys =D

KiLL0G1CAL 18 June, 2009 @ 3:26 am   40

OMG i really dont know which game are worth to buy… MAG or Modern warfare 2 ?

inmykingdom 18 June, 2009 @ 9:07 am   41

MAG site should also put some news on twitter

Roxas598 18 June, 2009 @ 11:41 am   42

i dont suppose since sony will need alot of beta testers that the beta sign up site will open again? i missed my chance last year and really want to sign up

Angelus73 18 June, 2009 @ 11:42 am   43

Looking really good, can’t wait for this. I am curious how many people you will get in each section at a time.

The demo at E3 seemed to show that you will be in sections with about 24 other players and you will move through and meet more.

Is this the case?

Elliott Martin 18 June, 2009 @ 11:55 am

Currently the design of the game and levels has platoons split into four quarters of an overall area. Therefore, initially at least, you are only likely to run into around 32 enemy players. However, as you progress towards the primary objective, so you are more likely to encounter friends and foes battling from other quarters of the map.

THC_PRITCHARD 18 June, 2009 @ 12:54 pm   44

this game is going to own cod

This is the type of the content that I like to see on here :)

I hope Sony release an open beta that is free to download from the PlayStation Store.

With 256 players per game, the servers are gonna need some serious testing ;)

dalbut7 20 June, 2009 @ 1:05 pm   46

This is gonna be an awsome game i rly rly hope it doesnt lag though like kilzone 2.

Haskell420 21 June, 2009 @ 6:05 pm   47

I hope it’s CLOSED Beta, and NOT an Open Beta. Being in 16 PS3 Betas most of them Closed, I’ve seen it a lot. People in a Closed BETA, play it all the time. When it’s a Open Beta, the people you played with the night or 2 before, you never see them again. I’ve said it many times, being in any Beta Test IS a privilege as your given a special opportunity to HELP make the game BETTER.
In all of the Beta’s I’ve been in, I took tons of notes, reported all problems, because it’s ALL important. What may seem like nothing can have serious ramifications on something else. I would tell them: What was the problem or error I saw? What was I doing at that moment when it happened? What was going on around me, when the error happened? Reporting glitches, frame rate issues, etc., you wouldn’t believe how a minor frame rate issue can screw up 20 other areas in the game. ALL of this is vital.
Eliot, if you would like to add anything, please do. PLEASE make it a Closed Beta, for the ones who have continually expressed their desire, passion, and out right enthusiasm in actually HELPING to make MAG thee BEST POSSIBLE gaming experience should be the CLOSED BETA, LIKE ME :D
Haskell420
(and send me a Beta Invite OK :D )

it does look good hope it will runner better than socom confrontation which is still full of bugs after 9 months.

i can’t wait for this game!