Posted 2:22pm

Nathan Drake Heading to Hollywood

You might have already seen a few bits of news around the ‘net and rumours on forums about this, but here’s the confirmation we’ve all been waiting for from the Uncharted developers:

Nathan Drake Heading to Hollywood

Posted by Evan Wells // Co-President, Naughty Dog

News in Hollywood travels fast! I am happy to confirm that it is indeed true, Sony Computer Entertainment has signed a deal with Columbia Pictures for a movie adaptation of Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune and it will be produced by Avi Arad, Charles Roven, Ari Arad and Alex Gartner. We have been working with Avi and the folks and Columbia for quite some time and look forward to sharing additional details on the film in the short future. Obviously we designed the game to be a cinematic experience and we too can’t wait to see it on the big screen.

So, who do you think should play Nathan Drake?

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Pack Front.jpg

I loved Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, so can’t wait to see the game recreated on the big screen. But as for the question “Who should play Nathan Drake?”, wow, that’s a killer! Nolan North is the actor who plays and voices Nathan in the Uncharted games, so he could be great choice. What do you guys think?

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

87 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

I Think it’s a bad idea :(

Galvanise_ 28 June, 2009 @ 2:26 pm   2

If you already have a man who can deliver the lines exactly like the lead character, looks like him, walks and runs like him and has previous experience of being that character, Nolan North has to do it. He’s got acting experience and is the fan favourite.

Similarly, Emily Rose looks like Elena, voiced her, did the Mo-Cap and has acting experience on TV etc. Sure, use a more famous name as the villain or Sully, but Nate and Elena already have the ideal people cast for them.

Bearskopff 28 June, 2009 @ 2:26 pm   3

Nathan Fillion. Anyone whose watched Firefly or Serenity will know exactly what I mean.

Bear n_n

Hopefully it will do the games justice ;)

ollybobs27 28 June, 2009 @ 2:27 pm   5

Me! :)

FFObsessed 28 June, 2009 @ 2:30 pm   6

Nathan Fillion. Anyone else would be the wrong decision. I’m sure you guys at Naughty Dog have seen Firefly, he’d be perfect. Made for the part.

Brimstone4814 28 June, 2009 @ 2:31 pm   7

Nolan North +1 vote

Zapachna666 28 June, 2009 @ 2:33 pm   8

Joe Flanigan from Stargate: Atlantis is the spitting image of Drake, he would be perfect, just as long as they break the cycle of rubbish movie/game tie-ins

john7doe_ 28 June, 2009 @ 2:38 pm   9

either Nolan North or Nathan Fillion… there both obvious the real question is who should do Sully? :P

bravo9zero 28 June, 2009 @ 3:16 pm   10

Make this movie a CGI film.

1: It will look like the game.

2: You can use the original voice actors(Nolan north Etc) to play there characters, for the film.

A live action film with real actors won’t work.

wardragon989 28 June, 2009 @ 3:33 pm   11

Honestly Nolan North or Nathan Fillion would be the best people for Nathan Drake.

Most video game to film movies have been done pourly, i really hope that this will be one of the better ones perhaps the best.

Also on a side note i am surprised how after one game Uncharted has become what it is today 0.o

KaRmAChAnG8 28 June, 2009 @ 3:43 pm   12

Wow! I thought this was just gonna be rumour. Obviosuly Nolan North would be perfect since he is Drake. But if he isn’t gonna do it, Nathan Fillion just keeps coming to mind for Drake.

Teabag_Titan 28 June, 2009 @ 3:53 pm   13

It has to be Nolan North, and the movie should be CGI. The actress for Elena should also be the woman who voices her in the games. I would rather have the voices that made the games, than the appearance of the characters.

singularity0821 28 June, 2009 @ 4:05 pm   14

+ 1 vote for Nolan North. But please don’t mess it up!

lonewolf1994 28 June, 2009 @ 4:09 pm   15

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

movies of games always suck!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uncharted isnt meant to be a movie just like saw isnt meant to be a game!!!!!

*very sad face D:*

D1rk-Knight 28 June, 2009 @ 4:11 pm   16

Nolan North or I’ll not consider it Uncharted.

It’s a very bad idea. I’ll pass. I want to remember Uncharted as the great game that it is, I don’t want to associate the games with what will probably be a mediocre live action movie.

Pass.

-Ad-

nickjd331 28 June, 2009 @ 4:26 pm   18

I really want to see (and hear) Nolan, Emily, Richard and Claudia in the film. It wouldn’t be the same without them.

parker-94 28 June, 2009 @ 4:27 pm   19

Nolan North to play Nathan!
And Emily Rose to play Elena!

xKillerMonkeyx 28 June, 2009 @ 4:42 pm   20

Arnold Shwarzenegger should come out of “acting retirement” to make one last film, Unchartered :-)

It’s going to be very tough to top the games, since they’re already A-class movie experiences.

Paulus-NL 28 June, 2009 @ 4:59 pm   22

this game doesn’t need a movie. but for the question of the actor? i choose bear grylls. i know he is no actor but it would be fun to see him as drake. :P

ReNeGADe1991 28 June, 2009 @ 5:05 pm   23

Has to be Nolan for me ;)

lordbeagle 28 June, 2009 @ 5:13 pm   24

Its gotta be Joe Flannigan from SG Atlantis as Drake,which would mean the Mrs would like it too. As for Elena, break the bank, get Megan Fox.

Nathan Fillion :)

Grz3chu87 28 June, 2009 @ 5:31 pm   26

Christian Bale ?…he’s everywhere now :/

FatScarf 28 June, 2009 @ 5:35 pm   27

Yet more money grabbing tactics from the industry. For a game I thought the action dialogue and characters were great, yet as a film I can see it being cheesy and very bogstandard.

SKELLY7 28 June, 2009 @ 6:23 pm   28

I dont have very high hopes for the movie. I just dont see it working very well. Anyway, Nolan North is the best bet for playing Nathan Drake. If any thing, the cast of the game could play their own characters. They all have similar characteristics.

waypoetic 28 June, 2009 @ 6:38 pm   29

Nolan North should play Nathan Drake. Hands down. I woulden’t want any other as the role of Nathan in the movie, and hey, Nolan already is an actor.

Pick Nolan North!

dazexus 28 June, 2009 @ 6:39 pm   30

Game films are not always bad, the best way to do it is to create a new interesting story but base it in that world with the same soul of the games….if you try to make a film of an existing game story its doomed to fail, because everyone has a different experience of how things should go.

Kinda like the Metal Gear Solid fan film I’m working on called Philanthropy (check youtube ;) )

Dan

Raziel_Shanks 28 June, 2009 @ 6:41 pm   31

Either get the game cast.
OR
Joe Flanigan of Stargate Atlantis fame. He as the looks, the hair and the voice for it. And he has both dramtic and comedic talent.

Nolan North would be the best choice.

The game is great, but that won’t necessarily mean I’ll watch the movie.

Salty500 28 June, 2009 @ 6:51 pm   33

Joe Flanigan + 1 ,he does look alot like him, and he’ll be cheap coz he would jump at the chnace to be in a big movie !

Wright316uk 28 June, 2009 @ 6:52 pm   34

i agree joe flanigan would be a good choice or ofc Norlan north

Smegzilla 28 June, 2009 @ 7:21 pm   35

@17

I couldn’t agree more. Film adaptations of games are always mediocre at best.

loonytoon1982 28 June, 2009 @ 7:24 pm   36

As I said on the US Blog:

Nathan Fillion should get the role if interested.

Nolan North on the other hand is a great voice actor but has done nothing notable outside of voice work besides a few bit parts in some shows.

The last movie he was in has a 3.1 rating on IMDb. In fact it seems that was the ONLY movie he actually acted in.

Nolan North has to do it.

I hope that will be a good film, because Uncharted deserves it, no doubt. (I liked the Silent Hill based movie…).

WhiteWolfDK 28 June, 2009 @ 8:44 pm   39

Colin Farrel is where my money is,

//WhiteWolf

Sherif_129 28 June, 2009 @ 9:16 pm   40

Nolan North is PERFECT. He looks like him, sounds like him, and has had experience with being in films.

indy-greg 28 June, 2009 @ 9:20 pm   41

Tom Cruise should play Nathan.

FrankieZappa 28 June, 2009 @ 9:26 pm   42

I agree with the guys who said Nathan Fillion…he’s the PERFECT guy for this job….

Bill-Will 28 June, 2009 @ 9:31 pm   43

The people who voice the character are extremely similar to their character so it would make sense for them to be cast as their character. If they dont the movie will be crap, same as mistake as Hitman movie. Though they will probably cast Ben Afflick or something , big mistake.

Idadepelota 28 June, 2009 @ 9:48 pm   44

David Boreanaz = Nathan Drake

Rambo_Snake 28 June, 2009 @ 9:55 pm   45

Even though I whole heartedly enjoyed the game. I don’t have high hopes for this to magically turn out to be the first truly good movie based upon a game.

damonthemoney 28 June, 2009 @ 10:07 pm   46

Nolan North!!!! He does the mo-cap and voice for Nathan Drake! Why the hell not?!!

It should be CGI mo-cap by the game actors
Like all game-to-film adapations

But for the sake of the argument, I’d say Nathan Fillion or David Boreanaz are best suited

somethingatt 28 June, 2009 @ 10:28 pm   48

As much as I would love to see Nolan North and especially Emily Rose on the big screen as the characters they voice, the game is already like a movie so I really don’t see the point in this.

hedges1001 28 June, 2009 @ 10:42 pm   49

nolan north he created drake like sean connery created james bond. the only other that has experience with this type of character is joe flannigan from SG atlantis

Darkos87 28 June, 2009 @ 10:48 pm   50