Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 2:07pm

Chatting Comics In Golden Square

No doubt you’ve checked out the Digital Comics Service trailer from the Sony press conference at gamescom yesterday. If you haven’t, you can grab it from the PlayStation Store gamescom PSN update right now . If you’re itching for a bit more info and to see the service in action, then you should definitely have a look at the video below.

You’ll see James chatting with Adriana Eyzaguirre and Pete Stott from the Comics Service team out in Golden Square. You’ll also see how the service’s Autoflow feature, which mimics the way your eyes travel across a page as you’re reading, makes it feel as close to reading a real comic book as possible.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

59 Comments 6 Author replies
Show oldest first
TheKonspiracy98 19 August, 2009 @ 2:13 pm   1

hopefully we get manga too.

looks good!

James Gallagher 19 August, 2009 @ 2:16 pm

You should see it in action – on a backlit screen the crisp detail and bright colours are amazing.

Jack-Bauer-89 19 August, 2009 @ 2:23 pm   3

Iv been interested in comics for a while but iv never got round to reading any, This should help :)

john7doe_ 19 August, 2009 @ 2:24 pm   4

Any details on how the pricing will actually work?
(I have a very eager eye on this service if it doesn’t gouge you)

James Gallagher 19 August, 2009 @ 2:32 pm

Nothing concrete that I can confirm, unfortunately, as pricing is in the hands of the publishers, much like third-party games on the PlayStation Store.

Ravenblade86 19 August, 2009 @ 2:25 pm   5

Great interview James! The digital reader was one of the best bits of news from yesterday for me. The one question was just how well would the system manage to deal with comic panels, but going from the interview the Auto Flow system seems to work very well.

Fantastic interview, thank you very much James. As it has been stated above, i too would welcome the introduction of Manga digital content. Moreover, i sure hope that we will also have the ability to purchase entire series at once instead of each individually.

The game was just the start, it really was :)

James Gallagher 19 August, 2009 @ 2:36 pm

I just asked Pete about purchasing entire series. It’s definitely a plan to bundle comics together based around story arcs and series, but it’s not quite there enough for us to confirm it yet.

As for Manga, the reader is set-up to display Manga, now it’s just a case of seeing if we can get the publishers involved.

Hello this is abit of topic, but it terms of the PSP Go itself, have the UK finally got a pricing for it? as i was expecting one at Gamescom

TheTaxMan 19 August, 2009 @ 2:42 pm   8

Would be great if wee could Cross Comic Chat with other comic fans do you think it will happen ?

Love comics.

So is Europe getting this in 2009. The reason I ask is that a post about it on the US Blog makes it seem that it’s going to be US only this year. And if that’s the case, judging by the video store, we won’t see it until sometime in 2011…

James Gallagher 19 August, 2009 @ 3:24 pm

The digital comics service is being developed in London and will launch in Europe this year.

Onna76_NL 19 August, 2009 @ 2:48 pm   10

Better ask the same question in the appropiate topic ;)

The Digital Comics service, is probably IP region locked as well isn’t? So probably no chance we can read in Europe the comics of for instance Jason Rubin, “Iron and the Maiden”, if his publishers decide to publish them for the PSP Digital Comics service? Iron and the Maiden have only been released in the States thusfar.

Onna76_NL 19 August, 2009 @ 2:53 pm   11

@adz2k7, I assume for Europe as well, why else announce it on an European games convention with the information the service will be available in December 2009, if it’ll only apply for the US :-? Though big chance is that only a few countries in the Pal territories get the service right away, like with VidZone and the VideoStore. Although I hope this time it’ll release simultaneous throughout the entire Pal region.

By the way Ira Rubenstein… family of???

AKGermany 19 August, 2009 @ 2:58 pm   12

Will English versions of comics be available in the various European stores or do they have to be localized to be offered there?

I would love to see manga supported through this service, if it is at all possible to get publishers on board with this please do as I believe many others would also be interested in that type of content to appear on psp.

Silent_Gig 19 August, 2009 @ 3:13 pm   14

This is a brilliant service, but i cant help but think it would do just as well if you made it PSP and PS3 compatable. Since youd have your HD tv and then you could use the auto-flow to get a better perspective of the comic.

Iam a bit skeptical how its going to work, i think panel by panel will be great but what about those big double page images?

I guess ill find out at the end of the year, also i hope they get DC on board, really want to read DC more then Marvel!

James Gallagher 19 August, 2009 @ 3:28 pm

With larger panels, Autoflow will focus on specific parts of the panel, such as a series of speech bubbles or a flying fist.

It really does work brilliantly, and it is optional, so you can also pan around the page and zoom in as you wish.

Cjdamon042 19 August, 2009 @ 3:18 pm   15

@ Anth1888

Sony confirmed today on GI.biz that the PSPgo will be £224.99/€249. Europe and the US pay the same as they did when the PSP originally came out. However we’re paying around £45 more. Isn’t life in the UK lovely?

Anyway, this seems like pretty cool idea. Will be interesting to see how well it does. Would be good if we could get it on the PS3 as well, but I’m not fussed since I have a PSP.

thorgrimm 19 August, 2009 @ 3:24 pm   16

why don’t we get on the ps3?

Anth1888 19 August, 2009 @ 3:31 pm   17

@ Cjdamon042

Cheers mate, i was just wanting a definate answer as some sites say £250. Thanks, and yeah this looks very promising and to launch it with marvel is a major coup, lets hope DC join on board.

taurus82 19 August, 2009 @ 4:00 pm   18

Mr Gallagher,
Please tell us this is a PS3 & PSP service, as you seem to have ignored all previous queries regard this.

James Gallagher 19 August, 2009 @ 4:06 pm

I’m not ignoring anyone, I just can’t answer every question asked with gamescom going on around me so I tend to focus on the ones I’m able to answer accurately.

Bearskopff 19 August, 2009 @ 4:11 pm   19

An almighty ‘awesome’ from me!

Two questions – Will we see motion comics be released for this service at any point or is it simply to early to tell?

Will we see a similiar service for the PS3? I’d love to boot up Home, pop to the Comic Archive/Library and have a read with some fellow book worms! :D

TehPhilosopher 19 August, 2009 @ 4:28 pm   20

This sounds like a dealmaker for PSP Go for me!

But are the comics DRM-free? I only started buying music from iTunes when they started selling DRM-free music, and I won’t touch comics or books which are encumbered by pointless DRM which only causes me hassle.

And bring Judge Dredd to PSP!

noruraeus 19 August, 2009 @ 4:40 pm   21

@20: maybe you should engange in a philosophical discussion about whether a format only supported on the PSP constitutes DRM or not :)

Is the service going to be release in France?
Because I’ve read it won’t be : only UK, US, South Africa, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand.

john7doe_ 19 August, 2009 @ 6:19 pm   23

another quick question, when we purchase a comic can we then view it whenever we want or just when we’re at a internet hotspot?

divine1000 19 August, 2009 @ 7:09 pm   24

1. Is this a feature of the PSP GO! or are the older models going to recieve the app too?

2. Can we use ebooks from other sources. If so, which file formats are accepted (PDF, etc)?

Apologies if any of these questions were answered in the vid, but I’m on the iPhone & it still doesn’t support flash. Curse you Apple!!!

TehPhilosopher 19 August, 2009 @ 9:20 pm   25

Wait, no Netherlands? Nevermind, my enthusiasm just went to a corner and shot itself.

Not blaming Sony – I’m sure they’d love to roll it out worldwide. Probably mostly to do with the patchwork of European copyright agreements.

Comics will be available in English only?:)

Willie699 20 August, 2009 @ 12:15 am   27

Hey,
This service sounds absolutely fantastic, its a great way to bring the medium of comic books and graphic novels to people like myself who havent really got into it. Also, watching the videos it looks like ‘Civil War’ is going to be released to coincide with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2. It would be cool to see other comics released to coincide with games such as ‘The Darkness’ etc But i have one question , is this going to be only accessible through PSP, or will it work on your PS3 as well?

Cheers

bravo9zero 20 August, 2009 @ 1:13 am   28

Please tell me this service Is releasing on ps3 aswel?!
If now, Why not!

This would make a LOT more money If were available on BOTH ps3 and PSP.

StefNighthawk 20 August, 2009 @ 9:32 am   29

I wish digital comics would make better use of the format it’s being published on. Metal Gear Solid Digital Graphic Novel is a great example of what digital comics should be. Not just scanned pages.

I really can’t see the “Autoflow” feature as being how my eyes scan over a page, be it comic contents or otherwise, and it felt a bit dizzying to me, actually.

However, I think this feature of ‘e-comics’ (to coin a phrase) is a good idea but it’s a shame that it’s not been realised to its full potential, by adding a facility for e-books as well.

If that was included, it would’ve been something that I would certainly be interested in.

MightyCrow 24 August, 2009 @ 12:23 pm   31

looks good. I would hope that more publshers get involved such as DC. Do you know if we will eventually be seeing books on the store as in the video the top sections said game, video and books?

badboykilla27 1 September, 2009 @ 7:27 am   32

nice update fore ps3network and i like the idear of comics on my psp and ps3,i like to bicum ps3 betatester?

Freaking sweet! i’m getting a psp for this!!

Evisceraptor 1 September, 2009 @ 9:15 am   34

i REALLY hope the original transformers comics will be available

Microdroid 1 September, 2009 @ 9:16 am   35

hell yeah!! so not only COMICS but MANGA as well , sweet! and its all this YEAR. nice

i do hope its also on ps3 as i dont really want yo buy a psp just for this feature, although reading comics on the train would be cool. i just have to ask will you have separate libaries for publishers as im not interested in reading manga. will this have classic tales like stan and jack fantastic four? i hope they can get 2000ad on voard as there comic is pruduced weekly anyway. just one last thing i hope they get a company called dare comics onboard as they made a miniseries called the hunter and it was the single greatest thing ive read( and ive read several great story arcs)

H-Borthwick 1 September, 2009 @ 11:47 am   37

they should add super hero avatars they one are abit boring

shellyshell 1 September, 2009 @ 12:03 pm   38

looking forward to see if any adult content will be featured like sandman , hellblazer and lucifer . i hope so as i have been collecting such graphic novels for 30 years or more . please don’t forget us wrinklies and give us mature readers what we want . digital comics , what a great idea

Ollirocks94 1 September, 2009 @ 12:18 pm   39

Take that xbots! Comics yay! Lets hope we get even more PS store icons too!

littlelock619 1 September, 2009 @ 2:31 pm   40

deadly

mobeen_95 1 September, 2009 @ 2:35 pm   41

I cant wait but…. i would not only want it on my psp why not ps3? is thier a reason 4 this?

1. how much would it cost

2. will it be any good

3. if it does cost will all of them cost

mancitycon 1 September, 2009 @ 3:29 pm   43

i say PUT IT ON PS3 ALSO …. thx

ooo if we get manga ill buy for sure

is this g2 be for the US too?

is it just for PSP?

if so that is pretty gay
i would like to read my comics on my PS3 aswell
i love Marvle comics they r the grand-daddy of comics

tristan_venezuel 2 September, 2009 @ 10:05 am   47

LoveDoctor 2 September, 2009 @ 8:17 pm   48

Is this REALLY available to all countries??? I almost can`t believe it

Looks Awesome but anime woud be better Naruto ore some thing ;)

YEAH DEFINATLY MANGA IN FUTURE BUT STILL GREAT !!!!!!!!!!

Load all