Posted 2:49pm

Just Add Water Presents Gravity Crash For PS3 And PSP

Hi folks.

This is Stewart at JAW, developers of PSN and PSP super-retro title Gravity Crash. The guys at SCEE asked me kindly to write a post about the game, so here it is.

Back in 07, myself and Dave Parsons (project lead) were sat in a coffee shop and a long conversation ensued on all the things we loved about gaming in the 80s.

Pixel perfect collision detection, that sense of tactile movement, simple controls, the richness of things to do but with less buttons needed to do it, memorable and distinctive musical scores. During the conversation Dave showed me something he’d been working on. A vector-based old-skool shooter that takes me back to days of Jetpac, Asteroids, Defender and my favourite features from many other classics, all refined and rolled into one.

I instantly fell in love with it and we began building it into what you now see as Gravity Crash. Think of Gravity Crash as our love letter to 80s classic shooter gaming and you’ll have a rough idea of what we’re building.

In aim of displaying a modern day vision of our retro love, we decided that since we’re on PS3, we should probably tap into its ‘flash stuff’ powers.

As a result of this, we have the game running at 1080p and 60 frames a second. You’ll also notice very subtle visual FX using FX Shaders to give us the object glow, and other such effects throughout the game.

gcpic01

An original Gravity Crash screenshot

gcpic02

The same level today

We’ve also got a full-featured level builder and editor as part of the package and you’ll be happy to know all the game’s levels were built using this tool, so there’s (almost) nothing we’ve built that you can’t build yourself.

There are A LOT more surprises coming that we’re yet to announce, but for now, that’s your lot. We’re very happy with how the game is shaping up and the press have been quite warm and flattering in their reception of it thus far.

ANNOUNCED FEATURES LIST (more details to come)

PS3:

• 40 Single player levels (Inc secret ones)
  • 5 Major Boss Battles
  • 4 Special weapons
  • 3 Weapon upgrades
  • 3 Multiplayer modes – TBA
  • 12 Multiplayer maps
  • Build and share levels over PSN, using our level editor.

PSP:

• 40 Single player levels (Inc secret ones)
  • 5 Major Boss Battles
  • 4 Special weapons
  • 3 Weapon upgrades
  • Extra single player modes – TBA
  • And other surprises – TBA

PSP and PS3 soundtracks are by CoLD SToRAGE, famed for his work on Wipeout/Lemmings etc.

We’re approaching the end of development and we can’t wait to get the game in your hands. Till the next update, enjoy the screens and no doubt as we get closer to release we’ll be back with more riveting conversation ;-)

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

42 Comments 2 Author replies
Show oldest first

Looks sweet!

V00D00CHARL1E 1 September, 2009 @ 4:10 pm   2

How much and when?

Looks great :)
Including a level editor in the PS3 version is an awesome idea and I can’t wait to try it out :D

-Ad-

Can’t wait to play at this game on my PSP Go, but i’m sad that there is not a level editor for the PSP version….

This game looks really cool, can’t wait!

Looking goooooooooood!

TheSabreman 1 September, 2009 @ 4:22 pm   7

Looks great I just hope the price is not silly.

MobileTone 1 September, 2009 @ 4:28 pm   8

sweet, i expect lots of magenta CDC levels on day one :D

amazing :) Geometry Wars feat. PixelJunk Shooter

Silent_Gig 1 September, 2009 @ 4:39 pm   10

This looks like an addictive game, i love the style of it too. Cant wait to play!

KatanaStrikes 1 September, 2009 @ 4:43 pm   11

Game looks utterly fantastic. It’s one of the main PSN games I’m most looking forward to this year.

Great job guys. Can’t wait to play it.

Ziggy-Moff 1 September, 2009 @ 4:49 pm   12

Dam it, i was expecting at the end “coming this thursday” :(, i so miss Geometry Wars on the 360 and this is a perfect replacment, me want NOW!!!

Wrong time to announce it.

We’re all full of rage after our PS3 have taken a beating with the ugly stick.

samich2007 1 September, 2009 @ 4:56 pm   14

looks like a great play create share game to me! :)

mnemonic-dk 1 September, 2009 @ 4:59 pm   15

Looks brilliant! I’ve been looking forward to this game since I first saw the trailer for it.

Defender, Asteroids and Jetpack are 3 of my all-time favorites, and then the added bonus of music from the wipEout composer no less! :D

Please hurry up – I can’t wait to play this!

I played it on gamescom, was really a nice arcade game….

StalkingSilence 1 September, 2009 @ 5:06 pm   17

Looks like Solar Jetman, no?

Paranoimia 1 September, 2009 @ 5:09 pm   18

I think , as with Super Stardust, I may have to buy both versions of this…

Smaller picky thing but it’d look nicer without banding in the space (not terrain) portions of the graphics. Judging by some older PNG screenshots and the inconsistent width in bands, I don’t think this is a capture/compression issue and it doesn’t look like a retro effect.

Stewart Gilray 1 September, 2009 @ 9:52 pm

Well spotted, and well said in your analysis, this IS something we are taking care of.

jakster123x 1 September, 2009 @ 6:06 pm   20

sweet, the game looks great, really looking forward to it

Amherst_Wind_4 1 September, 2009 @ 6:14 pm   21

This looks awesome, but just like Numblast I have to decide if I want it on PS3 or PSP… :(
I’ll wait to see what the extra single player PSP modes are because they might be more interesting than multiplayer.

I’m sorry. I don’t know it. I don’t really think its a super duper game either.

MalcolmHB 1 September, 2009 @ 6:19 pm   23

Looks good but im scared to go on my PS3 now that 3.0 has made it look so horrible :(

BackedOut_ 1 September, 2009 @ 6:33 pm   24

This looks really good. I love the colours, multiplayer and the create and share aspect.

I will certainly pick this up, if it’s at a nice price.

ghamdikh1 1 September, 2009 @ 6:47 pm   25

@Stewart Gilray

Read this OFFER AND gave me your opinion:

or this

or this

if you interested why not give it a try.

ImperatorA3 1 September, 2009 @ 7:15 pm   26

Asteriods is one of my favorites, will probably buy it, just not sure yet which version.

Shifty_Geezer 1 September, 2009 @ 7:17 pm   27

This got the most interest from us at GamesCom because of what appeared to be four-player split-screen gaming. Some of us ahve real friencs we like to meet up with and play games with, rather than playing online! :p Four-player split-screen means a dead-cert purchase. Any idea of release date? Weeks or months?

Stewart Gilray 1 September, 2009 @ 9:40 pm

Hi, it is indeed local, split-screen multi-player, either 2 to 4 player. With game types, such as Deathmatch, Salvage and Race.

INFILTRATOR187 1 September, 2009 @ 7:49 pm   28

Will PSP and PS3 user made levels be compatible with each other?
Ie: play a level in the ps3 then finish it off on the psp? something along those lines…

makingdamage 1 September, 2009 @ 8:31 pm   29

Looks like retro fun!

Spaulding 1 September, 2009 @ 9:30 pm   30

The game looks awesome. Can’t wait to play it. Consider it +1 purchase :-)

Looks great and i hope it is price right, too many games are creeping up in the price stakes.
Whens it out??

irononreverse 1 September, 2009 @ 11:33 pm   32

This looks amazing! I’ve been wanting to play a gravity style shooter for some time now! Oh happy days…

Thankyou for replying to my previous comment!

hey it’s 2009 by now, why do you make a game like this
it’s old and in timesplitters2 you can play a game like this

Stewart Gilray 2 September, 2009 @ 6:19 am   35

Just a general comment here, someone on the US Blog asked if we are having Trophies…

Yes we are.

BlackMage3 2 September, 2009 @ 7:31 am   36

This looks amazing.

I do like the purple color, but if the headings are correct then that’s the original version.

I assume it’s only the screenshot, but the colors seem a but washed-out compared to the original.

Never the less, I’ll buy it : )

PlanetJumble 2 September, 2009 @ 8:16 am   37

Bah! Forget about Jetpac, Asteroids, Defender – has no one here played Turbo Raketti (II) on the Amiga? That was an ingenious game and Gravity Crash looks to me like the perfect successor (finally). :)

Turbo Raketti featured full 50 fps (PAL refresh rate), pixel perfect collision detection, same gravitation controlls, configurable weapon systems with weight factor and integrated racing challenges. All that for two player split screen.

I waited very long for something like that on a modern gaming system, a few similar games were released on different systems, but nothing ever came close to the refinement of Turbo Raketti II. Just Add Water, you are on the best way to making one person very very happy here. \o/

onlineatron 2 September, 2009 @ 2:21 pm   38

Wish there was one version that you could play both on PS3 and PSP instead of having to buy two.

Yeeeeeeees, give us more like this, mix 80′s playability with 2010′s Gfx Update and it will be a hit!, I just love games with simple controls, and not like a 50 button combo!

yes all look’s kool

How much and when?

Caught the video on the playstation youtube page a couple of weeks ago and loved it, everyone i have shown it to young and old cant wait to play either!

Looks great.