Posted 4:57pm

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2: Final Post!

Hello, it’s me again, Yosuke Hayashi, Producer of Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. This is our last blog to you, and it also happens to be on the day our game is released so I thought it best if I say thank you and share with you my plans and thoughts for the future of Ninja Gaiden. It has been such an honour for you to share our thoughts about Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, so here is where the compass now points for the future of the series. Ok, are you sat down comfortably? I shall begin!

Firstly, concerning Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, let me say that if you think you know the secrets that we have put into the game, please look at yourself in the mirror and question yourself. We are Team NINJA, we have ninja surprise in store. We all know now about the SixAxis functions, but that is mere trifle to what is really in there, hiding away like gems and treasures.

Let me say that Momiji isn’t the only character from Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword to appear in the game. We have Sanji appearing on this game! He is carrying a pair of guard swords as his charm, and is mourning his father. His father was double sword master so Sanji aspires to this role as well. Although he still can’t use the two swords since he is too young in this title he is a fervent little devil? I bet he will be a double swords master NINJA as same as his father and Ryu Hayabusa someday! My hints are like bombshells!

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

Also, look out for the prologue section in this game, we inserted it for our fans, there are some hints in there, things to look at that will point the way to the future. Of course, these secret elements will also be in there locked away in the story too, you have to look for them. And one final thing I have to say… look out for a “Golden Scarab”. Okay, that’s enough hints to keep your mouths wet!

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

You know, looking back at the journey we have been on at Team NINJA, it has been a really interesting one for us. With departures and changes in the team, we knew that by creating this game it HAD to be the ultimate NINJA GAIDEN game. There was a lot of expectation, a lot of people waiting for us to trip over the ghost of what went before us. There was the spectre of long-gone large personalities that would have overshadowed our efforts if we didn’t make NGS2 something that the fans would support, then that would be the end of the NINJA GAIDEN series. All of us were ready to do whatever it took, because everything was on the line with this one. When we announced this title at GDC San Francisco back in March, I got some questions asking “What’s going on at Team NINJA?”, “What’s wrong with you, guys?”.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

I fully understood why people would ask these questions, why they would be concerned, but I replied to them only saying “the game will speak for itself, let it be our answer to the critics, let our actions and dedication rise up and silence fears, not me, not here on a GDC panel without a rock star get up. I wear my passion in my heart, not on a leather jacket. All of us at Team NINJA do”. And now the time comes for us to prove it with this title, “NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA2″. I just can’t help but looking at users playing this game. I really would like them to feel the time and energy and passion Team NINJA staff has devoted to get this done… for our fans. With the scores we are seeing for the game, I hope people see that if anything, Team NINJA is stronger and more passionate about games and gamers than it ever was. It feels incredibly humbling and wonderful to have all your support. We do this for you.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

In this title, Ryu says “Darkness is destined to lift in the end”. This is the theme of what NINJA GAIDEN franchise has in common, and what Team NINJA itself has experienced I guess. But let me leave with you my thanks again, and this tiny hint about the future. I think our users can feel through playing this ultimate package that Ryu himself is in the presence of such darkness and that ninjas themselves have that villainous streak. Ryu is anguished by it, he is touched by darkness. Such is his anguish and determination; I think this may creep over into any future NINJA GAIDEN stories. If you’re ninja enough to play this game till the end can immediately find out what that might be as well. But come on, we’re Team NINJA, we don’t design our games for people to finish. ;)

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

44 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
chewybacon 2 October, 2009 @ 5:02 pm   1

Just ordered special delivery for tomorrow, wonder if it will take me over a year to beat the game on master ninja XD

RedeyeCult 2 October, 2009 @ 5:19 pm   2

just bought the cool collecters edition from hmv.i gota say you guys haved pulled it off and those “six axis” functions are a nice touch.question is there going to ge any DLC?

ShogunDarius 2 October, 2009 @ 5:24 pm   3

I would just like to mention that there seems to be a problem with the collectors edition exclusive costume, if you download it the game will no longer play, it gets to where it mentions about how it saves the game data then just gets stuck at a black screen.

I can only play the game if I delete the exclusive costume.

This may not effect everybody but it is doing so for me.

sotilovsky 2 October, 2009 @ 5:25 pm   4

Just got the LE today, very nice package.
However, and im not the only one experiencing this, there is a bug on the DLC costume. I installed the game, went to the store, reedemed my code, then by some strange reason the data that was installed goes to the “game” part o the XMB, then when lauching the game all i get is a black screen. There are other users reporting this, only in the European Limited Edition, please fix this Team Ninja.
The game works fine without the DLC costume, and its a blast to play.

TAKE-AWAY 2 October, 2009 @ 5:33 pm   5

Have had this pre ordered for a while now but Game or the mail have let me down. :( Oh well roll on tomorrow morning.

Nightmare966 2 October, 2009 @ 6:09 pm   6

Takehaniyasubiko, that’s just rude from you.

Returning back to the topic, I don’t understand what’s wrong with the DLC. I’ve heard that those DLC are time-locked, so could it be that? Please, fix this as soon as possible :(

Carnivius_Prime 2 October, 2009 @ 6:30 pm   7

Never been keen on Ninja Gaiden games before whether modern or the old ones on my NES but that Sigma 2 demo I played the other day was pretty good fun. I might get that sometime after I’ve bought Uncharted 2.

Takehaniyasubiko 2 October, 2009 @ 7:06 pm   8

I am rude because I’m tired of Yosuke Hayashi’s PR lies. If he wants his fans happy, he should listen to what they have to say and make his team patch at least some of NGS2′s problems.

Doomshine 2 October, 2009 @ 7:18 pm   9

@Takehaniyasubiko

How can he be lying about something that (as far as I know) was never announced for the game?

It’s possible to ask for these features without being rude, especially when you have no reason to be…

RedeyeCult 2 October, 2009 @ 7:53 pm   10

dont know why you guys are having problems with the dlc my white costume works fine and looks great! i downloaded and installed the costume prior to putting the game and everything worked fine to bad for you guys oh and to confirm i bought a uk copy of the collecters edition from hmv.oh and i gotta say WOW!! amazing game remins me of my other favourite sword slash em up onimusha and best install screen ever basicly a animated comic to watch whilst it installs genius.team ninja well done no really well done!!!

Takehaniyasubiko 2 October, 2009 @ 8:02 pm   11

@Doomshine

I wasn’t referring just to this blog entry. I was referring to Hayashi’s career in general, especially after he become the head of Team Ninja by finishing off his Sith Lord – Itagaki (not in a literal sense, of course).

Anyway, I’ve bought the game day one and I don’t care about some stupid hints about the future of NG franchise. They better concentrate on the present. NGS2 needs some hot fixes. Also, if this is “the ultimate NINJA GAIDEN game”, then why is some content missing even from NGII? For example – where’s Fūma shuriken!?

Hayashi-san – CONGRATS ON THE RELEASE, excellent game! There is one minor thing I’d like to bring to your attention, as I think it contradicts the precedent of style that Ninja Gaiden has set for action games.

Could you please release a patch that allows us to de-equip projectile weapons such as the bow? The idea of forcing us to constantly “wear” it ruins some of the style in the game.

Thank you!

Seeing as this is your final post, Hayashi, I’d also like to bring your attention to this thread which I noticed above.

It has some excellent points on what could be a minor patch update. We’d be very grateful, as evidenced by the fact that both Ninja Gaiden and DOA are million-sellers. Please have a look at it.

Nostromo74 2 October, 2009 @ 9:16 pm   14

For me, the best Ninja Gaiden still remains the arcade version!

- custom music through XMB (i want to add my own NG playlist like Emperor, Burn Away, Speed, Crash…etc.)
- uploading videos to a online site (youtube)
- joe/hayate DLC
- pause menu for OFFLINE team mission
- survival mode (solo missions)
- DOA throwback outfit from NGB
- Kitetsu!

Hayashi I LOVE this game, but there is some issues, hardcore NG fans that been with it since NES buys “deserves it” and this is missing quite some things.

I would buy EVERY DLC you would do i have listed. Most of the NG fans are males and we aren’t stupid to fall into the gaming girls. Are they good looking? for sure (Momiji being my favorite) but we are not stupid.

Please add Joe Hayabusa or Hayate as DLC!
We need another male character alongside with Ryu just so the character roster is a bit more balanced, I am sick of playing as Ryu when I see 3 other girls. Joe Hayabusa is my favorite Hayabusa character!

If not him, add Hayate!
Why showa new female! *spoiler* 4 females and one male? seriously?
Enough with girls already, add a male, and we want Hayate (white outfit or red ninja outfit *DOA4*) or Joe Hayabusa…please!
Obviously for Mission “MODES”.

Hayashi, these are the things fans want the most including adding back Windmill Shuriken and Incendiary Shuriken (and yes we did see the IS near Statue of Liberty, we couldnt pick it up, even though we had a empty projectile slot through out the entire story).
I give this game 8.5 I love the game badly, you can make it a 10 by adding atleast some of the things I mentioned to make it the ULTIMATE edition, nobody would argue against this!

Hayashi as a fan, please!

PS. I have the Collectors Edition of the game *EU/PAL* but the DLC isnt working!

I downloaded a few times but once it is downloaded I get a NGS2 blue logo under GAMES and when I click on it it goes to a blank screen saying the DLC isnt availabe try out later by re-downloading it from PSN.

And its October 2nd now, and it is still not working!

So I have to delete it and the reinstall the game…annoying!
Fix this!

If I cant get Joe, atleast let me visualize it with the outfit.

ArtofWar007 2 October, 2009 @ 10:32 pm   18

As a fan of this series, i would have to say the game is much better then NGS2, but gore was toned down too much. Please added back the gore as a form of DLC or as an option for hardcore fan who desired it. I personally think the gore in NG2 was too much and NGS2 was way to little with purple mist coming out of Ninja is a bit comical. Something in between would be perfect. Im looking forward to the surprise and i’m hoping for great future DLC content.

Blackxino 2 October, 2009 @ 11:25 pm   19

FINALLY have the game!

Scarab was dropped by the Vampire Guy when Joe did Izuna Drop on him.

The hints you gave out were for Ninja Gaiden 3. So Sanji will be in it. But please, only Ryu should be playable with his own story. You can add unlocks but the character shouldn’t have his/her own story.

But for NG3, please include a Level 3 ultimate Technique.

TASTYRYAN 2 October, 2009 @ 11:40 pm   20

Congrats with the release team ninja.

Love the comic that pops up when installing the game on the hdd. x)

I own both the 360 and ps3 version. Love the extra ps3 content.
So i can’t complain about the toned down gore.

TASTYRYAN 2 October, 2009 @ 11:41 pm   21

Altho i heard a rumor about DLC that adds more Gore, but that’s probably just a stupid rumor.

InstantClassic40 3 October, 2009 @ 3:37 am   22

Before I even start this, great game. I recieved it in the mail through Gamefly and promptly laid the smackdown on everything in site. I didn’t even mind the omission of blood and gore.

The only thing that’s keeping me from buying this is that it is missing a decent sized Solo Mission Mode, just like the first Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I loved that game so much and that was my favorite part of it. While the more the missions the better, I’m going to be realistic and just say that 30 or more missions (just like Team Mission Mode) would be great. Shoot, just take out the partner in the current mission mode and maybe add a few more in. That’d be great.

The team missions are great, it just feels like I’m babysetting the AI on harder difficulties. It was quite a letdown when I had nearly defeated a mission on Ultimate Ninja difficulty, just to have my AI partner die.

If a Solo Mission Mode were announced no ammount of Black Spider Ninjas could stop me from wind-dashing my way to the closest local retailer.

Just beat the game for the first time today, amazing package Co-op definitely has bright future in this series (taking on multiple huge bosses at the same time is brilliant).

Loved the cameo appearance :) Thank you for all your hard work Team ninja and I may sound like a broken record by now but please get to work on a new Dead Or Alive so all characters can look as stylish as Ayane does now.

What about the old DOA Games on PS3? I would like to buy Beach Volleyball and so on…

RedeyeCult 3 October, 2009 @ 1:00 pm   25

well not one reply from team ninja i gotta say im dissapointed and the point of post was?

Thank you so much Hayashi-san and TEAM Ninja for infusing new life and innovations to this latest incarnation of Ninja Gaiden. I completed NG2 long ago but has to admit I did not live the ultimate, complete NG experience until NGS2. The new addition of my favourite Ayane, Momiji, various tune-ups and co-op play are all dreams coming true. Kudos to the team for making all this happens. Immediately started playing it first day it was released (actually got my PS3 solely for NGS games). All my friends also purchased it for doing co-op slashing Black Spider clan together. Looking forward to next DOA and Ninja Gaiden actions. It is so gratifying seeing Ayane the way she should look – beautiful and stylish(not a fan of her look back in NG2). Thank you.

QuezcatoL 3 October, 2009 @ 9:49 pm   27

I wanted to get this game, but you guys censured this version, so I will stick with my xbox360-version.

ShinMaruku 3 October, 2009 @ 9:54 pm   28

Patch a few issues and this game will be golden. Mainly the stat tracker needs to have a few server side uplads and not a continuous upload and some weapons need to delimb more.

Thank you Team Ninja for making this Awesome game!!!
Ninja Gaiden sigma game are the best! I Can not wait for Ninja Gaiden Sigma 3. and how about a new D.O.A game too.

Thanks

Thanks for releasing this great game, I blew through it quite quickly on Warrior, but then I did spend a fair amount of time on the first Sigma ;)Looking forward to playing through the rest of it, I feel that the difficulties increase the enjoyment rather than the frustration, the levels are laid out in a way that doesn’t make it tedious to go through them again and again.

Might I add that for those complaining, LOOK up information on the game, you don’t have to play co-op online, you simply have an AI parter which you essentially ignore for the most part. Some people are never pleased! Joe Hayabusa costume is part of the collectors edition, if you want it so bad go buy it

I think the addition of other characters keeps it fresh, whilst some might say they are similiar to ryu’s weapon styles, they aren’t really. Playing as Ryu all the time would get boring!

There was a bug I found in regards to triggers when enemies are defeated meaning i’d have to reload the level (happened twice) but otherwise the gaming experience has been flawless. The removal of excessive blood kept it from being tasteless, so a good move!

The Only characters i need in Team Mission mode are Hayate,Joe,Kasumi,and Hitomi Just them Dlc I will buy My brothers, cousins, and nephew will buy for team mission mode please Hayashi San grant us the fans A Team Ninja wish.

There are some issues in NGS2.
I hope you Team Ninja went to ninjafortress and check out some of us big Ninja Gaiden fans and patch some thing to make NGS2 better or some cool DLC for us.
All the issues we list are at http://www.ninjafortress.com

Hi Hayashi-san, like other DOA and NGS series’ fans, would greatly appreciate DLC with characters Kasumi(please!), Hayate or Joe; new clothes(especially the signature purple outfit for Ayane)/accessories and additional missions. Looking forward to the DLC and packs.

Wanderfalken 7 October, 2009 @ 10:30 pm   34

1)Weapon choice:The Unlabored Flawlessness. Kitetsu, Windmill Shuriken, INCENDIARY SHURIKEN and the smoke bombs.

2)Items: the armlets.

3)None-combat elements: more interesting puzzles and platforming like in Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden Sigma for more variation.

4)Enemies.: Doppelgänger fights in story mode please. On higher difficulties some enemies have too much health. feels like you fight against a punching bag.In exchange I rather have more enemies with a bit less health. but they should stay as agressive as before!!!

Wanderfalken 7 October, 2009 @ 10:31 pm   35

5)Music: The music should be more atmospheric and fitting like in Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

6)RPG-Elements: The old weapon upgrade system(essences), the possibility to buy certain items(armlets, wooden sword, arrows, health and ninpo upgrade items etc.).

7)Level design: Please not too linear. If you willing, more into the direction like Black and Sigma with multiple levels that are connected. Revisiting old levels to gain access to previous inaccessible areas. It´s a good example of backtracking that creates curiosity and allows exploration, which makes the game more immersive.

8)Voices:.Please bring back Justin Gross for Ryu. Please bring back the english in-game voice/battle cry from Black and Sigma during combat (Justin Gross???).

If you consider this feedback for DLC for Sigma 2, then I understand if you cannot add all these things. But for a future Ninja Gaiden 3, I would really appreciate it, if you try to implement all the mentioned things.

Thank you very much for your hard work and for the best action game ever created!!! Very important: As a fan, please take your time for a future Ninja Gaiden game and don´t rush it. MANY THANKS!!!

Wanderfalken 7 October, 2009 @ 10:52 pm   36

Oh, there´s something very subtle that I forgot. Please, please, please bring back the two combos for the Dragon sword, where Ryu hits the enemy with a multiple kick or a roundhouse kick at the end of the combo.

Attack name:

Fiend Bane Kick
Early Winter Rain

Domo arigato gozaimasu^^

Wanderfalken 7 October, 2009 @ 10:56 pm   37

Damn, can´t believe I keep missing things :-/

It would be very appreciated, if we see the backflip from Ryu in Ninja Gaiden Sigma coming back^^

Thanks a lot!!!

EnlightendShadow 10 October, 2009 @ 6:57 am   38

I have been a dedicated follower of all Team Ninja games and like most gamers out there I thought Team Ninja was going to leave along with Itikgaki so I want to thank you and your new team for staying and making this amazing game for us, your fans, Mr. Yosuke Hayashi.

Now down to business I’ve beaten the game and I’m currently working on Master Ninja Mode and I have got to say that it is easier than the original Ninja Gaiden 2 which is a double edged sword. From what you said in your blog I have to say that I would NEVER want to see a game in which Sanji would be the main protagonist in a Ninja Gaiden game. I would however love to see Hayate and Kasumi make it into this franchise since they both have strong ties to Ryu Hayabusa. Those are just my thoughts for the next installment in the Ninja Gaiden series.

I really hope you guys are hard at work making the next Dead or Alive game and I hope it goes multi-platform :)

Hayashi-san, I would like to say thank you very much for making this game. I love the Ninja Gaiden Franchise and this game is a fine addition to it.

However I have to say we desperately need a patch…the team missions are impossible, and I am not being exaggerated or expressing frustration through a hyperbole…it is literally impossible to complete. Please release a patch to raise the damage players do to bosses or the player’s defense.

Wanderfalken 18 October, 2009 @ 2:22 pm   40

IF you willing to add some further details to the next Ninja Gaiden.
Well, The block from NG and Sigma where Ryu uses the Kicks are awesome. Block is also called Fiend’s Bane Kick
Would love to see a move-set in the next Ninja Gaiden with more hand-kick-weapon combos. He´s a martial arts master, right^^

If you take a look at the most comprehensive Ninja Gaiden fansite – http://iberiansngrealm.com/ – You will notice that most NG fans are not excited about more DOA characters. A lot of NG fans love both franchise for what they are. Two different genres with their own history and background. We wholeheartedly appreciate all the hard work everyone of you put into the new NG series (XBOX and PS3). Therefore the implementing of DOA characters would only make NG happy, if either they are only there for fleshing out the story or are as fun as Ryu to play, especially on the harder difficulties!!!. One last request, please keep Ryu as the main character^^

I hope this helps as constructive feedback.

Thanks for all your efforts!!!

This game is awesome,but it would be fun if you could add more costumes and return blood in sigma 3.

I agree with ArtofWar007.

Please add GORE as DLC. I’m sure it would have a huge success, I would be the 1st one to buy it !

patriot298 22 October, 2009 @ 7:15 pm   43

Yeah, I wish Hayashi would add gore as a downloadable content. Also add 10 more Ninjas to the screen!! we need this to be all out hell like the 360 version! lol

RAvEcREAToR 25 October, 2009 @ 10:48 am   44

Hey All !!! In Sigma 1 Ayane Say That Ninja Must Always Be Aware Of His Emviroment !!! Then Where First Person Wiew Mode In Sigma 2 ??? & One More Thing : Bring Back Camera Control With R Stick From Sigma 1 !!! Because It Is Werry Anoyng When You Whant Camera To Stay She Go Back . In Sigma 1 Camera Stay In That Position You Left & Possible To Loock Not Only Deep Above Or Deep Below But Half Deep . Sigma 2 Only Deep & When Release R Stick Camera Go Back Anoyng . Bring Camera From Sigma 1 . (But It Still Perfect Game)