Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 5:38pm

WipEout HD Patch 2.10 Incoming

Hello from Studio Liverpool…

We wanted to touch base with you all to share some information about the impending release of the 2.10 update for Wipeout HD / Fury that’s coming soon

WipEout HD Fury

The 2.10 Update makes some small improvements to front-end functionality and addresses some minor issues with the audio. In addition, small issues that could affect gameplay or scores in the Eliminator and Detonator game modes have also been corrected.

Changes have also been made so that any adverts shown during loading screens will not adversely affect the loading times of the title. As many of you know, the functionality to display adverts during loading screens was first introduced in the 2.0 Update and originally didn’t function as intended, leading to extended loading times in some areas of the game.

This issue has now been resolved and we understand that a new advertising campaign in Wipeout HD is expected to launch across a number of European territories soon (no word yet on what is happening in North America). In the meantime, a range of PlayStation-specific ads will be making an appearance in the coming days.

WipEout HD Fury

Wipeout and in-game advertising and sponsorship have gone hand-in-hand since 1996, when a now famous energy drink appeared in the seminal Wipeout 2097 and over the years many brands and products have been associated with the series.

It is our hope that by adopting this approach to dynamic advertising, it will be possible to create new associations in a unique way. We have therefore focussed on ensuring that the advertising is embedded as sympathetically to the overall experience as possible.

Finally, we’d like to remind everyone who hasn’t experienced the awesome adrenaline-rush that is Wipeout HD Fury, that the game is now also available on BluRay across Europe and that a Wipeout HD + Fury Expansion bundle is available to download from the PlayStation Store.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

81 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Wow it’s cool you guys are supporting this title so much. Kudos to you!

Clockender 29 October, 2009 @ 10:05 am   2

Brilliant game…..I urge anyone who loves racing games to get it.

Tis a great game, im not sure adding adverts can be considered great support, but if these adverts pay for free DLC in the future ill let you off :)

Great game. A small addition I’d like is if you’ve filtered on a particular game speed (e.g. Venom) and joined a game and the host changes it to a different one (e.g. Phantom) it could be highlighted somehow so you have a chance to leave before the game starts. Also, sometimes the person hosting the game stops playing so the game only auto starts after a long wait. If the host doesn’t move during a race they should be kicked. The auto start for a full game is a bit quick making it difficult to change team.

wardragon989 29 October, 2009 @ 10:18 am   5

Maybe I should drop in at your studio HQ to get a hands on of the patch xD

TheNarrator 29 October, 2009 @ 10:25 am   6

oh cool. heard stuff about the US having problems with the in-game adverts, didnt know we had issues too lol. obviously we’re more laid back, yeah, that must be it :o.

not concerned with adverts in games at all, as long as they dont over-run things or get in the way too much. can only be a good thing in the long run (and would Red Bull have been the same without WipEouts help :D).

hopefully in time the Fury pack will go down in price a little too ;). even though its a pretty awesome price anyway.

Carnivius_Prime 29 October, 2009 @ 10:27 am   7

Great game. Great value for money too. The Fury add-on pack had far more content than most games of that price on the store.

Noisepurge 29 October, 2009 @ 10:30 am   8

<3 Studio Liverpool <3

If you’re getting money from advertisers, does that mean we get the game for free?

Cool :) I’m waiting for my copy now(it’s stuck in the Hell that is the UK Post) ;D

blackprophesy 29 October, 2009 @ 10:44 am   11

It would be really great if you could patch the voice chat – my friends and I have never been able to get stable voice coms in WipEout HD, and looking at forums it seems a pretty common problem.

Thanks for the patch.

Do you think that advertising revenue will ever cover the cost of the downloadable content? I.e. at some point in the future would you be able to offer us the DLC for free?

Sorry to moan…I paid something like £11.99 for Wipeout HD plus £7.99 for fury expansion = £19.98

Now a Blu ray disc is out for £19.99 and the download is down to £17.99?

Gah! I prefer to have physical media, thats the second (PAIN 1st) blu ray release of a PSN download I have seen…at least XBLA is download only! So as I paid full price for the download I would like a disc please? I thought it was PSN download only?

@13, yeah I always thought it was a little unfair to do that, especially as you could essentially just use the disk as a back up.

Also, I think people had a problem with the ads only because they were not present when most people bought the game originally, and they might feel that what they have been sold is no longer what they wanted. (I.E, a game that doesn’t have adverts in it) rather than the kind of system that should be making the price of the game cheaper.

unitedkronos 29 October, 2009 @ 11:15 am   15

The one thing stopping me from buying WipEout HD is the adverts. For a game that costs £11.99, I find it insulting that I would be forced to watch adverts during loading screens when I have already paid cash to play the game. Sure, games like Team Fortress 2 on the PC have banners for using self-hosted servers, but adding full video adverts to a game that already costs money to play puts me off a lot.

great news wipeout maker

the old music from the old wipeout games are allmost imposseable
to get in hands but as a dlc wold be nice

sory my enghlis :)

SlapnutzUK 29 October, 2009 @ 11:27 am   17

I have no objection to the adverts, in this instance we are assured that they will now not interfer with the loading times and are therefore nothing more then something to look at while the game loads.

Also the game is very cheap, no doubt down to the additional revenue generated by the adverts.

As long as my gaming experiance isn’t interfered with and the advertising comes across as organic (like billboards in burnout) then I have no objection.

Vandaliser 29 October, 2009 @ 11:43 am   18

the greatest playstaion network game. seriously if you have a ps3 you must get this game

reeferchief 29 October, 2009 @ 11:58 am   19

The only advert I’ve ever seen while the loading screen was on, was the one for the Fury expansion.
Without doubt one of the best titles on the PS3, hope theres gonna be more expansions comingin the future
Eliminator mode is awesomeness.

Also @ Skidpro, Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty was originally released first on PSN then brought to disc as well.

Releasing Wipout on Blu-ray is a great move. Although I’ve wanted this for ages, I’ve held of from downloading it from the PSN store because I like to take games round to mates houses to play. I will be picking this up real soon. Ta!

nickjd331 29 October, 2009 @ 12:06 pm   21

I have fury yet have never noticed adverts. I shall go and look again!

VonBraunschweigg 29 October, 2009 @ 12:13 pm   22

WipEout HD is as great as it was in 2097, and the Fury update doubled the fun. If you call it DLC you might as well call it the best DLC ever for the best DLG ever. And a tip for HEADSTAR: try to get a PS1 WipEout game from eBay, with my 60GB PS3 I was able to copy the musictracks directly from the 2097 disc onto the HDD, ready to use as a playlist for WipEout HD. “Loops of Fury” is one of my favorites:)

Liverpool Studios sure delivered with WipEout HD, now all we need is their answer to FAQ #1: the WipEout 2097 tracks, will we see a Collection like GoW with the 3 PS1 games remastered in HD & 60fps on 1 Blu ray disc, or do we get to download Valparaiso & others through PSN? Or perhaps both? Let us know…

Adverts in something that we have paid for is not cool. Put them in demos/trial versions if you must.

geddesmond2 29 October, 2009 @ 12:56 pm   24

I purchased wipeout HD when it first came out and its an amazing game. I was also looking forward to the fury expansion pack. But when I heard about ingame advertising I was turned off completely.

I’m not going to pay money for a product that shoves advertisements down my throat.

Thanks Mikel for UPDATE!!!!

marcindpol 29 October, 2009 @ 1:00 pm   26

exactly!!!, go away with the adverts!!!

your right VonBraunschweigg loops of fury is great for wipeout games

UKParallax 29 October, 2009 @ 1:19 pm   28

Putting adverts in a game we’ve already paid for when we don’t get anything in return for having them there isn’t great, to be honest. A bit cheeky, in fact.

Benjamin81 29 October, 2009 @ 1:21 pm   29

The retail release of Wipeout is a very strange release. I can’t find it anywhere in Germany. Gamestop even says they don’t have a release date in their system yet. And the big UK online shops don’t have it either. What is up with that Sony?

ninjatuned 29 October, 2009 @ 1:27 pm   30

If this game had be initially released with advertisements and was marketed as being ad supported I wouldn’t have an issue with it. But the fact is the ads were slipped in with an update with no notice and no price cut to the consumer. Why does Sony think it’s ok to remonitize a product I’ve already paid for without my consent? Is any of this money going to Studio Liverpool? Is there going to be FREE expansion packs in the future that are paid for by the advertising?

MarcusCarcus 29 October, 2009 @ 1:34 pm   31

how about sorting out the scoreboards??

@ reeferchief

thanks for that, I seen it in stores ans wondered what it was all about! I think now I will hold off buyintg dowqnloads from PSN and wait for blu ray disc release, I dont care what sony say about digital downloads and (PSPGo for example) I want physical media, if there is disc I will have it..now I am [DELETED] as I only got on PSN as a download and apparenlty you only can redownlaod it 5 times on PSN!!!

Now my coments are moderated..they dont like what I am saying and loads of Playstation users, we are being ripped off! PSN downlaod only..no we gonna put it out on Blu ray now..I want the disc please, I paid full price for the download same as the disc….

Your comment is awaiting moderation

Michelasso 29 October, 2009 @ 2:35 pm   34

No, no, no, no. I live in a underdeveloped country called Italy, so I have to pay for my bandwidth (no ADSL so I have to use the mobile phone carriers with HDSPA). You have no right to make me waste my bandwidth for ads in a game I dearly paid 30 euro for already! If you want to advertise you put the mechanism in a free DLC and only people downloading it will see crap in the loading screen. I play the PS3 to avoid Berlusconi television ads, now I have to see them even in the games? I also use an ads blocker in my browser. leave the ads out of the fun!!

thenextbutton 29 October, 2009 @ 2:44 pm   35

So let me get this right… I have paid for a game which is going to have adverts displayed to me? O.K. a tad screwed up me thinks.

I hope that you guys are going to release some free content to us users in exchange.

@ skidpro

You can download as many times as you want but only to five different PS3s. You can deactivate a PS3 to remove it from the total.

racedriving 29 October, 2009 @ 4:05 pm   37

Where is the BD release? I can’t find it on amazon etc.

Will the BD require installation?

thenextbutton 29 October, 2009 @ 4:11 pm   38

@racedriving it is out there somewhere. I picked it up via gamestation.co.uk

racedriving 29 October, 2009 @ 4:14 pm   39

Good to hear. Then you can tell me if it requires installation and its size?

bonesMcCoy_ 29 October, 2009 @ 4:58 pm   40

I’ve never seen any ads is this game.
Bizarre

na i havnt noticed any adverts either?!

without a doubt the best game and dlc on the psn, well worth the money

but i agree that updating our game that we already paid for with adverts is a bit sly and cheeky, should leave the extra adverts for the blue-ray version which you said you would never make :-/

I don’t like this patch, load times are longer than before !

I hate adverts when I jav e paid good money for the game. No extra content for me and I will never buy a game with adverts in it. When you get paid for adverts I want the game for free.

Psyvariar 30 October, 2009 @ 1:35 am   44

Lifelong fan of the Wipeout franchise here.

For anyone wondering, the recent Blu-ray version of Wipeout HD Fury contains the full 2.0 version of the game with no ads.

So no matter how many ads they add in future to the PSN version of the game, you can always have an ad-free version by installing straight from the Blu-ray disc and playing it offline.

However note that savefiles between the PSN and Blu-ray versions of Wipeout HD Fury and not cross-compatible.

Psyvariar 30 October, 2009 @ 1:40 am   45

(typo above, should read “are not cross-compatible”)

btw, honest thanks to Studio Liverpool for making such an amazing PS3 racer. I know that business decisions like advertising are never directly in the hands of developers. At the end of the day, even though I dislike in-game advertising, I bought your game twice (both PSN & Blu-ray versions) to show my support for Wipeout, as well as all the Pulse DLC packs. :)

Great a patch that mostly consists in adding ads all over the place !

The Update sounds Good. And i have downloaded it now. Some point to make though.

1) For the advertsing. Its a crucial feature of the WipEout Series (And for me a favourite feature) but the way it was done in 2097 was the best way as shown in this picture http://twitpic.com/nhw5q (Taken from a youtube video yes but my point still stands).

2) You should mention the 2.10 update in the Update box in the Game.

but i is nice to see where sony fails, ghostbousteres and the psp go are very good
eksambles, by the way it looks like some payed for my game one time
can i have my monny back if i make a prommise and deleet the game

i do understand why foks place so much hate and anger in this blog
what up next, pepsi logos burnt in on the zebras i africa

brummpahh 30 October, 2009 @ 12:17 pm   49

thought about getting me WO on bluray as a backup.
Forget it. The ingame ads ruin the whole experience.
I highly doubt, that customers will buy the products
presented this way (loud and annoying).
As far as i’m concerned, i’ll boycott any product
advertised this brutal way.
WO suffers a decreasing online community anyway.
Go for it, salesmen, ruin it completely.

Channel_Z_NL 30 October, 2009 @ 7:24 pm   50

Is there anyone with A corrupted save file after patching with 2.10, there are people posting on the official playstation forums saying that they have corrupted files?

Load all