Posted 26 November

PlayStation Network Digital Comics

Hi everyone. My name is Pete and I’m the designer on the Digital Comics team. I thought I’d give you the low down on what we are doing.

Digital Comics

We’ve partnered with some of the biggest names in comics, and some very creative independents, to bring you comics straight to your PSP. You’re maybe thinking “How’s that going to work on the PSP’s beautiful, yet compact, screen?” Well we think we’ve solved that with AutoFlow! With AutoFlow all you have to do is hit one button and the camera will float over the page to the next panel, panning and zooming automatically. We also let you move around manually if you want to get up close and personal with your comic. To really appreciate how this works you need to see it in action – more on this below.

So which publishers should you expect to see on the service? Here’s an A-Z rundown of the ones we can talk about so far and some of their highlights:

• 2000AD – Featuring Judge Dredd, Durham Red…
  • Disney – Follow the adventures of Mickey Mouse, Scrooge McDuck, Donald Duck….
  • IDW – Astro Boy, Transformers, Star Trek, Wormwood…
  • Insomnia – Burke & Hare, Cages, Cancer Town… Insomnia and Geek Syndicate are also running a competition
  • iVerse – Who bring us content from Ape Entertainment, Archie Comics, Dabel Brothers, Image & Red 5.
  • Marvel – Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, The Amazing Spider-Man
  • Titan – Wallace & Gromit

We’ll announce some more great publishers soon.

You can be prepared for the Comic Store launch in mid December by updating your PSP with the latest firmware and downloading the free Digital Comics reader via the link on the XMB or via the website if you don’t have WiFi.

Once you’ve done that redeem these codes for some free sample comics from IDW via your PSP, instructions are here

Star Trek: Enterprise Experiment #1 (ages 9+)
Astro Boy Movie Adaptation #1 (ages 3+)

• UK: MH75 – L3BF – HA95 & FG9D – NFBB – GQ33
  • Ireland: CET2 – GQBA – LGDB & 2EAJ – PTBH – TLE5
  • Australia: BC8L – E9B8 – G975 & H3BL – JPB8 – 6T8Q
  • New Zealand: EK6C – KHBQ – RAKT & JQR4 – 97B7 – BHFG
  • South Africa: F9GA – MFB9 – 9L57 & JLQ5 – C4BT – GFCF

All codes are valid until 16th December and the usual T&Cs apply

It’s been reported that some people are having trouble with codes, if you get an 8010A12E error then we apologise and point you to this fix

I hope that whets your comic appetite! We should have more than 500 comics on the store when we launch in mid December in UK, Ireland, US, South Africa, New Zealand & Australia. After that we will be updating the store on a weekly basis. If you want to keep up to date visit our website at www.playstationcomics.com where, come mid December, you will be able to browse the entire catalogue and become a part of the PlayStation Digital Comics community. We will even have a blog that’s dedicated to all things comics, plus you can also follow us on Twitter @psncomics

Last, but not least, how much will these comics cost. Well it depends on the publisher as they get to choose how much each comic costs. But we think you’ll be pleased. We’ll also have a few more free ones for you to try.

Let me know in the comments who else you’d like to see on the service and how you’ve found the reader so far.

Cheers
Pete

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

127 Comments 41 Author replies
Show oldest first

Nice, thanks for the free comic, I enjoyed the Transformers one and really want to get the rest of the Megatron story, so I’ll download this Star Trek one too.

Eager to get some Marvel stuff when it comes out as well and fingers crossed for DC joining up as well.

Is there a reason why you can only use the PSP to download these comics? I would love to use media go!

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 4:34 pm

Hi, It’s a restriction with the vouchers. When the Comic Store releases you will be able to use Media Go to download all the comics you want.

Eararaldor 26 November, 2009 @ 4:31 pm   3

Thanks PS Blog!

Word of advice to anyone using theese codes however… Don’t cancel the download as you won’t be able to download it again.

YobRenoops 26 November, 2009 @ 4:31 pm   4

Fantastic stuff. This works much better than I thought.

I have a Japanese PSP1000 (running in English) and it’s pointing me to a download site for a Japanese version of the comic reader.. is there a link somewhere to install an English version of it? :)

nWo_Hellhound 26 November, 2009 @ 4:32 pm   6

When are the comics coming to the Netherlands? Or are the comics coming to the PS3?^^

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 4:44 pm

The Netherlands are very important to us & we are doing our best to bring the comic store to you guys. Watch this space.

mitch_uk_psn 26 November, 2009 @ 4:36 pm   7

Thanks for the constant updates on Twitter Pete, it’s been great to be kept in the loop. Can’t wait for the store launch.

Pete, I know its a long shot but I’d love to see stuff that is not you normal comic material. If you get chance please have a look at the Wikipedia article on an old Fleetway comic called Crisis, that does a much better job of explaining the sort of material I mean.

The article is titled – Crisis (Fleetway)

Thanks

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 4:53 pm

Thanks, I’ll have a look. We will have a pretty wide spectrum of comic genres available. There maybe some stuff from the smaller publishers that will make you happy.

Bring it to the Netherlandsssss pleasse. haha.
I was waiting for over a month for this app and now it doesn’t release here. this sucks.

qwertyuiopasdfgh 26 November, 2009 @ 4:39 pm   10

Why can’t i get these comics on PS3! I would buy them if they were on Ps3.

Any plans in that direction?

Microdroid 26 November, 2009 @ 4:40 pm   11

OK let me get this straight , all this effort and talk for this new comics App , but not 1 word about it coming to the ps3 as well? I would LOVE to be able to read comics on my big screen , why do i need to go out and BUY a PSP? I’m sure its not even that HARD to give the ps3 the ability to read the comics as well… am i right or wrong ?

Hi,

Will we have the option to buy an entire run? Say a comic is published weekly, can we pay a certain amount and have them all available or do we have to go through the process of buying each on every time?

Also will we be using the same wallet as the PSN, say I buy a £20 voucher, spend £10 on games and then come over and spend £5 from the same voucher? Will that be possible?

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 4:47 pm

Thanks for your questions. We are looking in to various purchasing methods, but for launch it will be pay per comic.

And yes, the comics store will use the same wallet. Look out for the new comics tab at the top of the screen when it goes live.

I downloaded a system update to my Go last night and got a nice surprise – a digital comics icon. I was prompted to download the software and wouldn’t you know it, not available in Canada. I can’t tell you how many times Sony has teased us with stuff like this, then pulled the rug right out from under us. I’d love to read the comics but this is just a slap in the face.

Cheers,
Ian

qwertyuiopasdfgh 26 November, 2009 @ 4:41 pm   14

Sorry another thing: any plans to bring this to Italy?

WizardWeb 26 November, 2009 @ 4:46 pm   15

It’d be cool if these and other PSP things like Mini’s worked on PS3 too.

oliveiraf 26 November, 2009 @ 4:51 pm   16

When are the comics coming to Portugal?

When this will arrive in France ? Please i can’t wait ? I want this even it’s in English Format !

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 4:58 pm

Great enthusiasm :) The comics store should be launching in France early next year. We’ve been talking to a lot of French publishers. Do you have any favourites?

sowasred2012 26 November, 2009 @ 4:52 pm   18

Personally I’d quite like to see Aspen MLT & Top Cow on there, Fathom & Witchblade are big favourites of mine.

Silent_Gig 26 November, 2009 @ 4:56 pm   19

Id just like to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for making this digital comics reader, this is a pprograme i never thought i wanted untill now. Ive been reading the free comics on this and its a revelation!

I cant wait untill more publishers sign on to this and then i can start building up my digital comic collection.

PLEASE PLEASE get DC onboard!

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 5:00 pm

I just read this comment out to the team and got a cheer! Thank you for your kind words :)

Ravenblade86 26 November, 2009 @ 4:56 pm   20

Nice blog post Pete, and I’ll be downloading these other free comics straight away. Liking the sound of the full version of the Digital Comics website, having the ability to entire catalogue will be very nice.

Question I was going to ask you on Twitter, and one I think I mentioned to you before. Any word on Asterix perhaps hitting the Digital Comics store? :)

Thanks for all the hard work you and all the team are putting in aswell!

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 5:05 pm

Hey mate, no news on Asterix as yet. Fingers crossed though! And we’ve got even bigger plans for site.

addyjones1234 26 November, 2009 @ 5:00 pm   21

great, cheers Pete, I loved reading the first two:) will the other free ones be before launch? and will some be free normally or do they have to be paid for, also will there be infamous comics?

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 5:09 pm

Cool, there are four free comic vouchers out in the wild. That will be all we’re giving out for now, but there will be more free samples on the store when it launches.

Robert5050 26 November, 2009 @ 5:03 pm   22

Will there be any manga available?

Smegzilla 26 November, 2009 @ 5:12 pm   23

This would be great if DC got on board with it. I don’t enjoy any other Western comics, so it’s a shame really. I really don’t like readon Marvel comics and I don’t have the time/money to trawl through publishers I don’t know and hope I get something good. :(

Fingers crossed!

Scourgewood 26 November, 2009 @ 5:18 pm   24

I’ve tried the two free original comics and loved ‘em, the one about the horror host was bloody great, can’t wait to see the rest of the series.

Just out of curio, how about the old kiddies comics, like “beano” “whizzer and chips” and “buster”, would they ever come out as digital comics?

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 5:35 pm

The Aleister Arcane comic is one of my favourites. The rest of the series will be available at launch.

Regarding the old kiddies comics, no plans as yet – but you never know. Would be worth it for the nostalgia alone.

You appear to be directly avoiding all the questions regarding this feature being released onto the PS3. If you can’t answer right now, then fine. But don’t be rude by simply ignoring us.

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 5:25 pm

Sorry, I don’t wish to appear rude. We have had a lot of requests for the reader to be available on the PS3. All I can say for now is that we are looking in to it. 1080p comics FTW?

bravo9zero 26 November, 2009 @ 5:24 pm   26

I would LOVE to see this digital comic service on PS3.
Are there any plans for that?

GhostViper 26 November, 2009 @ 5:28 pm   27

Hey. Will this come to Norway sometime?
Anyway, looks like a great application. Great work guys and girls.

i buy and collect comics & graphic novels and would love to jump on this, but have you seen the price of the downloadable games on the psp go? they cost more than in the shops, there selling games for like £23.99 which i can buy online brand new umd boxed and sealed with free delivery for £12.99! thats a big difference.

So for that reason i’ll be giving it a miss, but if it comes to the ps3 and there fairly priced i would be up for it.

bravo9zero 26 November, 2009 @ 5:30 pm   29

1080p comics FTW indeed!
Thanks for the reply’s.

GhostViper 26 November, 2009 @ 5:31 pm   30

Oh, and if you guys bring this to Norway, you should try to get the Norwegian comic “Pondus”, Norways biggest comic.

I remember reading Simpsons Comics when I was younger, they were quite good tbh. Any chance of anything like this appearing on the comic store?

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 5:42 pm

I still read them :p The Futurama ones are great too. I will let you know if we get them on board.

TiranKenja 26 November, 2009 @ 5:40 pm   32

Yay! More crap we can’t access unless we live in one of specially selected countries. Isn’t the European PSN great?

Pete is there going to be Metal Gear Solid comics?

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 5:55 pm

If you are referring to the one that was released on UMD – no that wont be on the service.

Scourgewood 26 November, 2009 @ 5:48 pm   34

Cheers Pete, I think the digital comics idea has to be one of the most impressive bits of software this year. :D

Is there any word on pricing yet?

Fantazyer 26 November, 2009 @ 5:49 pm   35

Hey!

Any idea when this is coming to Finland? And please tell me I’ll be able to read the comics in English and not Finnish. Also will we be getting free comics when you launch it over here?

Thanks

meh, i dont have a psp, and there are no dutch comics.

I guess I wasn’t polite enough in my comment to get a response about Canada. I certainly don’t want you to think I’m not excited or impressed about the comics. I love digital comics and read a fair amount – IDW’s are awesome. I want to read them. I need to read them. You have a customer waiting to spend his money. But, you dangle the software in front of us then say, sorry, no. That’s what I don’t understand.

I’m sure we’ll get the comics eventually, but why tease us? Why not wait until the software is available before allowing us access to the icon?

So, thank you for digital comics. I just wonder when we’ll see them in Canada?

Cheers,
Ian

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 5:59 pm

Hey Ian,

We totally understand your frustration. If it was easy we would launch in Canada day one, however there are a few factors beyond our control that we need to overcome before welcoming you in to the Digital Comics fold. Please remain optimistic and be sure we will do everything we can to bring you some comics.

…and sorry for being a tease

TiranKenja 26 November, 2009 @ 5:59 pm   38

I think you want the NA blog writenow. Not that we don’t have the same sort of situation in Europe tho.

Aaaaand when will rest of Europe be seeing this? You know what? to h*** with rest of Europe; when is Norway getting this?!

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 6:04 pm

same goes as the above comment. It’s great to see that there is demand from so many countries.
    I’ve got to leave now, but I’ll see if I can log in later to answer more of your questions. Thanks for all your comments so far.

Thanks for your prompt, and polite response to my question regarding a possible launch for the PS3 :-)

wiktorclunk 26 November, 2009 @ 6:14 pm   41

Poland???????????

Icarus_Immortal 26 November, 2009 @ 6:21 pm   42

Awesome news, and I’m hoping Sweden will get the service VERY early next year.

Also, I want to recommend you to talk to the Swedish publisher Egmont Kärnan (look at the spelling :P), specifically the divisions “Comics Malmö” and “Comics Stockholm”, which is without a doubt the biggest comic publisher in Sweden (releases all Diseny Comics and all of the popular Swedish-made comics).

Last note: please don’t localize the international comics by translating, I think everybody on this blog wants to read them in their original language.

I will buy every issue of Iron Man that is released on the Comic Store if I can read them in English, but I’m hoping for many other Marvel comics (such as Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy and the forthcoming Siege event) to be released!

Absolutely love you guys for this brilliant initiative!

rospondek 26 November, 2009 @ 6:23 pm   43

Will it be region locked like every video store? If not, I guess I won’t see any comic book in Poland.

Paulus-NL 26 November, 2009 @ 6:28 pm   44

again not in the netherlands :(

if they release it here and in belgium will there be also tin tin comics? they are still great :D

Amherst_Wind_4 26 November, 2009 @ 6:30 pm   45

I just wanna say I’ve tried the free comics and the AutoFlow feature is amazing, its like watching a motion comic. Kudos to everyone on your team. :)

no I mean the ones from IDW?

Demonized 26 November, 2009 @ 6:48 pm   47

I downloaded the Star Trek comic just to test out the digital comic reader app and AutoFlow works just beautifully.

I’ll definitely be interested in some comics when the store launches and I REALLY think that either you guys or the publishers, or you and publishers in tandem should come up with some kindof subscription or bundle type deal which would be fantastic.

Just downloaded the new comics. Loving the idea – never really got into comics so I’ll be looking for recommendations when the service starts.

About buying them – I understand about pay per comic initially, but will there be an easy way to find the next issue in a comic I’m reading? eg I’m on issue 6, will it know that or is it up to me to also manage my numbers etc? I can see that getting complicated if you have a few on the go at once.

qwertyuiopasdfgh 26 November, 2009 @ 7:03 pm   49

Hi here’s a tip for you for when you bring the service to Italy:

- Bonelli comics (that’s the name of the publisher), they’re proably the biggest in Italy: Nathan Never, Dylan Dog, Martin Mystere.

- the enormous production of italian Disney comics, especially classics by Romano Scarpa, Giorgio Cavazzano, etc. The ones from the ’80s/’90s are the best in my opinion, one example being “La Spada di Ghiaccio” (The Ice Sword).

- Please bring this to PS3!

KingOfMetal79 26 November, 2009 @ 7:09 pm   50

Loving the comic reader, truly is alot cooler than I thought it would be!

However does anyone know if Darkhorse have signed up for it? As that would really ‘seal the deal’ for me!

Load all