Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 4:22pm

PlayStation Network Digital Comics

Hi everyone. My name is Pete and I’m the designer on the Digital Comics team. I thought I’d give you the low down on what we are doing.

Digital Comics

We’ve partnered with some of the biggest names in comics, and some very creative independents, to bring you comics straight to your PSP. You’re maybe thinking “How’s that going to work on the PSP’s beautiful, yet compact, screen?” Well we think we’ve solved that with AutoFlow! With AutoFlow all you have to do is hit one button and the camera will float over the page to the next panel, panning and zooming automatically. We also let you move around manually if you want to get up close and personal with your comic. To really appreciate how this works you need to see it in action – more on this below.

So which publishers should you expect to see on the service? Here’s an A-Z rundown of the ones we can talk about so far and some of their highlights:

• 2000AD – Featuring Judge Dredd, Durham Red…
  • Disney – Follow the adventures of Mickey Mouse, Scrooge McDuck, Donald Duck….
  • IDW – Astro Boy, Transformers, Star Trek, Wormwood…
  • Insomnia – Burke & Hare, Cages, Cancer Town… Insomnia and Geek Syndicate are also running a competition
  • iVerse – Who bring us content from Ape Entertainment, Archie Comics, Dabel Brothers, Image & Red 5.
  • Marvel – Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, The Amazing Spider-Man
  • Titan – Wallace & Gromit

We’ll announce some more great publishers soon.

You can be prepared for the Comic Store launch in mid December by updating your PSP with the latest firmware and downloading the free Digital Comics reader via the link on the XMB or via the website if you don’t have WiFi.

Once you’ve done that redeem these codes for some free sample comics from IDW via your PSP, instructions are here

Star Trek: Enterprise Experiment #1 (ages 9+)
Astro Boy Movie Adaptation #1 (ages 3+)

• UK: MH75 – L3BF – HA95 & FG9D – NFBB – GQ33
  • Ireland: CET2 – GQBA – LGDB & 2EAJ – PTBH – TLE5
  • Australia: BC8L – E9B8 – G975 & H3BL – JPB8 – 6T8Q
  • New Zealand: EK6C – KHBQ – RAKT & JQR4 – 97B7 – BHFG
  • South Africa: F9GA – MFB9 – 9L57 & JLQ5 – C4BT – GFCF

All codes are valid until 16th December and the usual T&Cs apply

It’s been reported that some people are having trouble with codes, if you get an 8010A12E error then we apologise and point you to this fix

I hope that whets your comic appetite! We should have more than 500 comics on the store when we launch in mid December in UK, Ireland, US, South Africa, New Zealand & Australia. After that we will be updating the store on a weekly basis. If you want to keep up to date visit our website at www.playstationcomics.com where, come mid December, you will be able to browse the entire catalogue and become a part of the PlayStation Digital Comics community. We will even have a blog that’s dedicated to all things comics, plus you can also follow us on Twitter @psncomics

Last, but not least, how much will these comics cost. Well it depends on the publisher as they get to choose how much each comic costs. But we think you’ll be pleased. We’ll also have a few more free ones for you to try.

Let me know in the comments who else you’d like to see on the service and how you’ve found the reader so far.

Cheers
Pete

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

127 Comments 41 Author replies
Show oldest first

Nice, thanks for the free comic, I enjoyed the Transformers one and really want to get the rest of the Megatron story, so I’ll download this Star Trek one too.

Eager to get some Marvel stuff when it comes out as well and fingers crossed for DC joining up as well.

Is there a reason why you can only use the PSP to download these comics? I would love to use media go!

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 4:34 pm

Hi, It’s a restriction with the vouchers. When the Comic Store releases you will be able to use Media Go to download all the comics you want.

Eararaldor 26 November, 2009 @ 4:31 pm   3

Thanks PS Blog!

Word of advice to anyone using theese codes however… Don’t cancel the download as you won’t be able to download it again.

YobRenoops 26 November, 2009 @ 4:31 pm   4

Fantastic stuff. This works much better than I thought.

I have a Japanese PSP1000 (running in English) and it’s pointing me to a download site for a Japanese version of the comic reader.. is there a link somewhere to install an English version of it? :)

nWo_Hellhound 26 November, 2009 @ 4:32 pm   6

When are the comics coming to the Netherlands? Or are the comics coming to the PS3?^^

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 4:44 pm

The Netherlands are very important to us & we are doing our best to bring the comic store to you guys. Watch this space.

mitch_uk_psn 26 November, 2009 @ 4:36 pm   7

Thanks for the constant updates on Twitter Pete, it’s been great to be kept in the loop. Can’t wait for the store launch.

Pete, I know its a long shot but I’d love to see stuff that is not you normal comic material. If you get chance please have a look at the Wikipedia article on an old Fleetway comic called Crisis, that does a much better job of explaining the sort of material I mean.

The article is titled – Crisis (Fleetway)

Thanks

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 4:53 pm

Thanks, I’ll have a look. We will have a pretty wide spectrum of comic genres available. There maybe some stuff from the smaller publishers that will make you happy.

Bring it to the Netherlandsssss pleasse. haha.
I was waiting for over a month for this app and now it doesn’t release here. this sucks.

qwertyuiopasdfgh 26 November, 2009 @ 4:39 pm   10

Why can’t i get these comics on PS3! I would buy them if they were on Ps3.

Any plans in that direction?

Microdroid 26 November, 2009 @ 4:40 pm   11

OK let me get this straight , all this effort and talk for this new comics App , but not 1 word about it coming to the ps3 as well? I would LOVE to be able to read comics on my big screen , why do i need to go out and BUY a PSP? I’m sure its not even that HARD to give the ps3 the ability to read the comics as well… am i right or wrong ?

Hi,

Will we have the option to buy an entire run? Say a comic is published weekly, can we pay a certain amount and have them all available or do we have to go through the process of buying each on every time?

Also will we be using the same wallet as the PSN, say I buy a £20 voucher, spend £10 on games and then come over and spend £5 from the same voucher? Will that be possible?

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 4:47 pm

Thanks for your questions. We are looking in to various purchasing methods, but for launch it will be pay per comic.

And yes, the comics store will use the same wallet. Look out for the new comics tab at the top of the screen when it goes live.

I downloaded a system update to my Go last night and got a nice surprise – a digital comics icon. I was prompted to download the software and wouldn’t you know it, not available in Canada. I can’t tell you how many times Sony has teased us with stuff like this, then pulled the rug right out from under us. I’d love to read the comics but this is just a slap in the face.

Cheers,
Ian

qwertyuiopasdfgh 26 November, 2009 @ 4:41 pm   14

Sorry another thing: any plans to bring this to Italy?

WizardWeb 26 November, 2009 @ 4:46 pm   15

It’d be cool if these and other PSP things like Mini’s worked on PS3 too.

oliveiraf 26 November, 2009 @ 4:51 pm   16

When are the comics coming to Portugal?

When this will arrive in France ? Please i can’t wait ? I want this even it’s in English Format !

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 4:58 pm

Great enthusiasm :) The comics store should be launching in France early next year. We’ve been talking to a lot of French publishers. Do you have any favourites?

sowasred2012 26 November, 2009 @ 4:52 pm   18

Personally I’d quite like to see Aspen MLT & Top Cow on there, Fathom & Witchblade are big favourites of mine.

Silent_Gig 26 November, 2009 @ 4:56 pm   19

Id just like to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for making this digital comics reader, this is a pprograme i never thought i wanted untill now. Ive been reading the free comics on this and its a revelation!

I cant wait untill more publishers sign on to this and then i can start building up my digital comic collection.

PLEASE PLEASE get DC onboard!

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 5:00 pm

I just read this comment out to the team and got a cheer! Thank you for your kind words :)

Ravenblade86 26 November, 2009 @ 4:56 pm   20

Nice blog post Pete, and I’ll be downloading these other free comics straight away. Liking the sound of the full version of the Digital Comics website, having the ability to entire catalogue will be very nice.

Question I was going to ask you on Twitter, and one I think I mentioned to you before. Any word on Asterix perhaps hitting the Digital Comics store? :)

Thanks for all the hard work you and all the team are putting in aswell!

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 5:05 pm

Hey mate, no news on Asterix as yet. Fingers crossed though! And we’ve got even bigger plans for site.

addyjones1234 26 November, 2009 @ 5:00 pm   21

great, cheers Pete, I loved reading the first two:) will the other free ones be before launch? and will some be free normally or do they have to be paid for, also will there be infamous comics?

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 5:09 pm

Cool, there are four free comic vouchers out in the wild. That will be all we’re giving out for now, but there will be more free samples on the store when it launches.

Robert5050 26 November, 2009 @ 5:03 pm   22

Will there be any manga available?

Smegzilla 26 November, 2009 @ 5:12 pm   23

This would be great if DC got on board with it. I don’t enjoy any other Western comics, so it’s a shame really. I really don’t like readon Marvel comics and I don’t have the time/money to trawl through publishers I don’t know and hope I get something good. :(

Fingers crossed!

Scourgewood 26 November, 2009 @ 5:18 pm   24

I’ve tried the two free original comics and loved ‘em, the one about the horror host was bloody great, can’t wait to see the rest of the series.

Just out of curio, how about the old kiddies comics, like “beano” “whizzer and chips” and “buster”, would they ever come out as digital comics?

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 5:35 pm

The Aleister Arcane comic is one of my favourites. The rest of the series will be available at launch.

Regarding the old kiddies comics, no plans as yet – but you never know. Would be worth it for the nostalgia alone.

You appear to be directly avoiding all the questions regarding this feature being released onto the PS3. If you can’t answer right now, then fine. But don’t be rude by simply ignoring us.

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 5:25 pm

Sorry, I don’t wish to appear rude. We have had a lot of requests for the reader to be available on the PS3. All I can say for now is that we are looking in to it. 1080p comics FTW?

bravo9zero 26 November, 2009 @ 5:24 pm   26

I would LOVE to see this digital comic service on PS3.
Are there any plans for that?

GhostViper 26 November, 2009 @ 5:28 pm   27

Hey. Will this come to Norway sometime?
Anyway, looks like a great application. Great work guys and girls.

i buy and collect comics & graphic novels and would love to jump on this, but have you seen the price of the downloadable games on the psp go? they cost more than in the shops, there selling games for like £23.99 which i can buy online brand new umd boxed and sealed with free delivery for £12.99! thats a big difference.

So for that reason i’ll be giving it a miss, but if it comes to the ps3 and there fairly priced i would be up for it.

bravo9zero 26 November, 2009 @ 5:30 pm   29

1080p comics FTW indeed!
Thanks for the reply’s.

GhostViper 26 November, 2009 @ 5:31 pm   30

Oh, and if you guys bring this to Norway, you should try to get the Norwegian comic “Pondus”, Norways biggest comic.

I remember reading Simpsons Comics when I was younger, they were quite good tbh. Any chance of anything like this appearing on the comic store?

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 5:42 pm

I still read them :p The Futurama ones are great too. I will let you know if we get them on board.

TiranKenja 26 November, 2009 @ 5:40 pm   32

Yay! More crap we can’t access unless we live in one of specially selected countries. Isn’t the European PSN great?

Pete is there going to be Metal Gear Solid comics?

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 5:55 pm

If you are referring to the one that was released on UMD – no that wont be on the service.

Scourgewood 26 November, 2009 @ 5:48 pm   34

Cheers Pete, I think the digital comics idea has to be one of the most impressive bits of software this year. :D

Is there any word on pricing yet?

Fantazyer 26 November, 2009 @ 5:49 pm   35

Hey!

Any idea when this is coming to Finland? And please tell me I’ll be able to read the comics in English and not Finnish. Also will we be getting free comics when you launch it over here?

Thanks

meh, i dont have a psp, and there are no dutch comics.

I guess I wasn’t polite enough in my comment to get a response about Canada. I certainly don’t want you to think I’m not excited or impressed about the comics. I love digital comics and read a fair amount – IDW’s are awesome. I want to read them. I need to read them. You have a customer waiting to spend his money. But, you dangle the software in front of us then say, sorry, no. That’s what I don’t understand.

I’m sure we’ll get the comics eventually, but why tease us? Why not wait until the software is available before allowing us access to the icon?

So, thank you for digital comics. I just wonder when we’ll see them in Canada?

Cheers,
Ian

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 5:59 pm

Hey Ian,

We totally understand your frustration. If it was easy we would launch in Canada day one, however there are a few factors beyond our control that we need to overcome before welcoming you in to the Digital Comics fold. Please remain optimistic and be sure we will do everything we can to bring you some comics.

…and sorry for being a tease

TiranKenja 26 November, 2009 @ 5:59 pm   38

I think you want the NA blog writenow. Not that we don’t have the same sort of situation in Europe tho.

Aaaaand when will rest of Europe be seeing this? You know what? to h*** with rest of Europe; when is Norway getting this?!

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 6:04 pm

same goes as the above comment. It’s great to see that there is demand from so many countries.
    I’ve got to leave now, but I’ll see if I can log in later to answer more of your questions. Thanks for all your comments so far.

Thanks for your prompt, and polite response to my question regarding a possible launch for the PS3 :-)

wiktorclunk 26 November, 2009 @ 6:14 pm   41

Poland???????????

Icarus_Immortal 26 November, 2009 @ 6:21 pm   42

Awesome news, and I’m hoping Sweden will get the service VERY early next year.

Also, I want to recommend you to talk to the Swedish publisher Egmont Kärnan (look at the spelling :P), specifically the divisions “Comics Malmö” and “Comics Stockholm”, which is without a doubt the biggest comic publisher in Sweden (releases all Diseny Comics and all of the popular Swedish-made comics).

Last note: please don’t localize the international comics by translating, I think everybody on this blog wants to read them in their original language.

I will buy every issue of Iron Man that is released on the Comic Store if I can read them in English, but I’m hoping for many other Marvel comics (such as Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy and the forthcoming Siege event) to be released!

Absolutely love you guys for this brilliant initiative!

rospondek 26 November, 2009 @ 6:23 pm   43

Will it be region locked like every video store? If not, I guess I won’t see any comic book in Poland.

Paulus-NL 26 November, 2009 @ 6:28 pm   44

again not in the netherlands :(

if they release it here and in belgium will there be also tin tin comics? they are still great :D

Amherst_Wind_4 26 November, 2009 @ 6:30 pm   45

I just wanna say I’ve tried the free comics and the AutoFlow feature is amazing, its like watching a motion comic. Kudos to everyone on your team. :)

no I mean the ones from IDW?

Demonized 26 November, 2009 @ 6:48 pm   47

I downloaded the Star Trek comic just to test out the digital comic reader app and AutoFlow works just beautifully.

I’ll definitely be interested in some comics when the store launches and I REALLY think that either you guys or the publishers, or you and publishers in tandem should come up with some kindof subscription or bundle type deal which would be fantastic.

Just downloaded the new comics. Loving the idea – never really got into comics so I’ll be looking for recommendations when the service starts.

About buying them – I understand about pay per comic initially, but will there be an easy way to find the next issue in a comic I’m reading? eg I’m on issue 6, will it know that or is it up to me to also manage my numbers etc? I can see that getting complicated if you have a few on the go at once.

qwertyuiopasdfgh 26 November, 2009 @ 7:03 pm   49

Hi here’s a tip for you for when you bring the service to Italy:

- Bonelli comics (that’s the name of the publisher), they’re proably the biggest in Italy: Nathan Never, Dylan Dog, Martin Mystere.

- the enormous production of italian Disney comics, especially classics by Romano Scarpa, Giorgio Cavazzano, etc. The ones from the ’80s/’90s are the best in my opinion, one example being “La Spada di Ghiaccio” (The Ice Sword).

- Please bring this to PS3!

KingOfMetal79 26 November, 2009 @ 7:09 pm   50

Loving the comic reader, truly is alot cooler than I thought it would be!

However does anyone know if Darkhorse have signed up for it? As that would really ‘seal the deal’ for me!

It’s definitely a very nice service and convenient to be able to carry around a whole bunch of comics on one machine as opposed to a whole pile of comic books.

The only down side to these digital services is the collectable aspect. There is no collectability in them so in some sense other than giving you something nice to read, you have no way of making any money out of them.

Still, if they did a combined system where you could get hold of the digital and paper versions for a cheaper price, that could be something worth while.

Nice service though.

TehDarkLocke 26 November, 2009 @ 7:23 pm   52

Is there a possibility of the Middle East (the countries that SCEE supports, Saudi Arabia and UAE) ever getting this service? =/

I know licensing issues make it a lot complicated, but I want to know if you’re even trying.

HiddenAway 26 November, 2009 @ 7:45 pm   53

Hey Pete,

Sorry in advance if you’re not the right person to ask for this but I don’t have the comic reader on my oldest PSP model which I upgraded to firmware version 6.2. It appears on 2 of our PSP-2000′s but not on my original PSP-1006 model (from Asia). Do you know if the PSP-1000 models are restricted from using the service?

Thanks!

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 8:53 pm

PSP 1000 models are not restricted. However, if the PSP was purchased from Asia it will not show the digital comic reader I’m afraid. Although it may show the Japanese one.? I’m not currently aware of any way around this.

Pete loving the comics reader so far and the freebies! (Also got All Hail Megatron last week)

Just one thing i’ve noticed, it will only play MP3′s, no AAC support in the reader itself. This poses as a problem as the majority of my music is AAC as its come from iTunes and I suspect most people who have PSPs would be the same.

Any chance you could pass this on to whomever may be able to implement it?

Many thanks. :)

Definitely an interesting service, but I have always read most comic books as compilations (including the superb Simpsons comics +1 to trying to get them getting them on board!). Growing up in the UK (I’m now in my 30s) comic books meant Beano, Dandy, etc. I’d like to go back and read some important stories for the likes of Batman, Spiderman, X-Men, etc. similar to the “Essential…” series available in bookshops. I’m really a lot less interested in paying over-the-top for one comic at a time – that’s fine for people buying the latest issue each month (but I suspect that those are people who would prefer the paper version anyway).

The real way that this will be successful is as an easy way for people to read whole story arcs from classic comics at a competitive price. The price must reflect the fact that the content is worth considerably less than the equivalent paper version because it is not collectible, has no resale value, is less portable (you are tied to carrying around the PSP which needs power, etc.), cannot be lent, is being viewed on a small screen, etc. The pricing for downloadable PSP games has been too high and the price for downloadable videos is ludicrously high. I really hope that this trend won’t continue and that Sony have been able to negotiate a sane price for these comics, because I think that this has the potential to be a terrific application of the PSP if the content is priced competitively.

Don’t care until some manga’s there.

from trying the viewer with the free comics i have to say it is fantastic.
i predict this could cost me a fortune.
there are a couple of things i would like to see for the future.
manga titles, some of the tokyopop books are pretty good and there are other manga publishers you could do deals with, just one issue, can the autoflow work with books that are read from left to right? :)
and something else i would like to see is some webcomics available for the viewer, you could either do the strips from the site free or do digital version of the print comics some of the bigger ones have.
thanks for the free comics, i know they’re just to get us to buy the rest of the issues in the series, but i don’t mind, that arcane one is a title i would probably never have tried otherwise.
you should try to do a deal with the comics publishers to give a code for a digital version of the comic in the paper version, like quite a few movies have digital copies included now.
and hope the ps3 version comes soon and the comics are usable on both

sorry for the wall-o-text :)

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 9:02 pm

No worries. Thank you for taking the time to post. Manga and webcomics are on our hit list. Autoflow does support right to left.

TehPhilosopher 26 November, 2009 @ 8:45 pm   60

Yessss, Judge Dredd is coming! Looks very promising.

I just hope we’ll get the choice of language – I want to read comics in English.

AKGermany 26 November, 2009 @ 8:49 pm   61

A general question: When you bring these comics to the bigger non English speaking countries, will we have the option to get the comics in English or will there only be translated versions?

Pete Stott 26 November, 2009 @ 8:59 pm

I look forward to using this app on my PS3 (1080 ftw!). But i hope, we’ll have the choice about the language. For instance the Video store is only with movies in french dub, so, I don’t use it.

Well done Pete and team on an awesome piece of work! I reckon it makes the PSP so much more useful too :)

I haven’t read comics for sooooo long, it was wicked reading them again and that Autoflow is simply brilliant.

You guys rock! Keep up the good work :)

But
All
Titles.
Announced
Now
?

Hey, my names Pete too:)

Is this service coming to Spain? If so… any date better than just “next year”? Personally I don’t mind if they come only in english, spanish, or a mix of both. But I’m sure a lot of people prefer to read in is own language.

What about Poland!?!?
Help us!!
We can’t download free promo comics to!

I second comment number 60! Please give us the option to choose the language, because I absolutely hate it when we are not given options and I assume that you guys don’t want to take away options from us right!

I just want to take this moment that there are many people in the Netherlands that don’t care about localization in the dutch language (hint: inFamous) and are more then satisfied with some english subtitles in games or in the case of comics, let it be in the original language.

Because I’m sure people on this blog are growing tired of delays of product due to localisation!

Keep up the good work and I hope this remark will be noted!

VicRattlehead 26 November, 2009 @ 10:29 pm   69

hey mr pete is there any plans to get udon entertainment onboard with this… my local comic shop only gets a few copys of the street fighter comics in and they usually go to people with pull lists, be awesome if i could just get em offa the psp store

HiddenAway 26 November, 2009 @ 10:47 pm   70

Thanks for the information Pete. It’s a shame but I’ll try and get round it if you get mangas up eventually :P

Hey again,

Will any comics have a feature similar to Amazons ‘Look Inside’ where you get to preview a couple of pages? The art style of a comic really weighs in on if I’m going to read it. Be good to know what I’m getting into.

I agree with the earlier comment, get The Simpsons comics on board! (Published by Bongo Comics) Some people might roll there eyes, but people from 8 to 80 could be using this service – got to appeal to everyone!

….also I want to read The Simpsons/Futurama Comics.

Pete Stott 27 November, 2009 @ 11:45 am

I agree that offering a few sample pages is important. This is one of the plans for our website and possibly even the PS Store.

johndrinkwater 26 November, 2009 @ 11:33 pm   72

One online comic I would love you guys to obtain – Order of the Stick!

I have a Japanese PSP-1000, have firmware 6.20 and have downloaded the comic reader from http://au.playstationcomics.com/comics-coming-soon.html (I’m in Australia and my PSN account is Australian).

I downloaded the Australian free comics above and when I go to the comic reader on the XMB (which has some japanese characters on it, but looks to be just the image with the characters on), it says there is no software for the reader and asks me to go to some webpage (http:://book.dl.playstation.net/book/psp/NPWJW00001/) launching the browser which appears to be some japanese webpage with no links to click on that I can see..

Am I locked out from using the comic reader?

Pete Stott 27 November, 2009 @ 11:48 am

Interesting name! I’m afraid that I know no work a round for this. Firmware features are sometimes dependent on the hardware ID, so if you have a Japanese PSP then it will update with Japanese FW with a link to their comic reader which is independent of ours.

No codes for Spain? T_T

PSP Only? Waste of time.

smokeypsd 27 November, 2009 @ 3:50 am   76

Hi Pete, I’m very impressed with the functionality, it’s gonna be great listening to my music and comics at the sametime.

Would we perhaps see manga on store? I’m thinking specifically of Ghost in the Shell.

theshepanator 27 November, 2009 @ 7:27 am   77

The way the comics are read seems to be the same sort of thing as the web browser when zoomed in, is that so?

Pete Stott 27 November, 2009 @ 11:49 am

Not really – download the free viewer and a free comic and have a look for yourself?

Hi,

as usual:

all countries are equal but some countries are more equal than others…

you’re well aware that by acting like this you won’t stop hackers and pirates.

Cheers ^_^

StefNighthawk 27 November, 2009 @ 8:07 am   79

If it ever launches in Belgium, will we have access to all comics from all publishers or only to comics from local publishers?
I would prefer those from the original publishers, not those from who only did the localization (which means bad translations and sometimes censoring part of the story).
Don’t care about local comics as they still use the age-old format of 50 page stories. But I prefer sagas like those found in US comics and manga comics.

WrestleBlog 27 November, 2009 @ 8:40 am   80

Didn’t realise you could preview some freebies already, haven’t even got around to downloading the firmware yet. Thanks for letting us know, shall give a whirl tonight.

I’m not too fussed wether the Digital Comics store comes to the PS3 or not as I prefer to read comics direct from it’s source material (a.k.a paper :P) but if you were to launch a PS3 version I just have one (possibly stupid) question.

Will the comics already bought for PSP be transferrable to the PS3?

Might I suggest DYNAMITE as a publisher? They’ve got some great work out there at the moment, and I’m pretty certain they’d be happy to join the venture.

Also, how much of a back catalouge will you have and how far back will it go? I know you haven’t announced DC yet but… BATMAN FTW!! :)

Hi Pete,

answering your response to #61, I for my part would actually only consider getting the english version of most comics.
From what I can tell, a couple of my friends and I always went for the english version if it was remotely possible for any kind of comic in the last decade.

I would actually go as far as saying that I’d be only interested in english versions at all, but that’s just me and my grudge against bad or sometimes just silly translations that break the immersion.

Same applies to movies (*hint hint* at the video store, even if you have nothing to do with it ;-))

And now I just need some content for that reader to test it out. Yet another fine example as to why Sony should have the same content in one big store (or at least continental ones) as opposed to country stores.

I’m curious to see how the new content will turn out for us.
Bring it on!

just a quick question, i know you’ve got idw listed but do you know if the g1 transformers series that started with infiltration will be available?
don’t know if you have that much detail on what’s available yet, it’s just i started getting the books but missed everything after about half way through the second series escalation.

oh and if you can go after dc to get their titles that would be fantastic. :)

Pete Stott 27 November, 2009 @ 11:53 am

I’ve just checked – yes the infiltration series is coming. We are currently looking at releasing it in March. Hope you can wait until then :)

wizball-23 27 November, 2009 @ 12:52 pm   83

I liked the Aleister Arcane issue — but whoever is responsible for the “camera” on that comic deserves a special pat on the back for the care and thoughtfulness they brought to their work.

One panel in particular struck me as well-executed: can’t remember what page it was, but the camera moved to the bottom of the panel first, and then, on the next click, up to the top of the image. The sequence seemed counter-intuitive at first, but for that particular image it was exactly the right choice for communicating the panel’s contents.

In comparison, I found the camerawork on All Hail Megatron less succesful. The early sequence where the camera over-rides the click-through control and zips over the panels without stopping — that annoyed me. I’d like to be able to determine the pace of my own reading. And the “shake the page when an explosion occurs” technique… the less said about that the better. (I’ve only read the first few pages of this comic, however, so perhaps things improve as it goes along.)

Anyhow, thanks for the free comics, Pete, and good luck with the service!

SmoggyPhil 27 November, 2009 @ 3:49 pm   84

This is awesome *clap clap, clap clap clap*

If this doesn’t end up undergoing some chaotic pricing, Sony has stumbled upon a winner here! Get some Garfield and Nemi on there and I will collapse from the excitement

jonnyward 27 November, 2009 @ 5:16 pm   85

Love the reader. Love the free comics. Any word on a release date for comics on the store?

Re: 84

That’s an interesting one. I agree with the pricing (see my other posts above. But I like your comment about Garfield. This service is obviously aimed primarily at comic books, but it would work equally well for daily comic strips.

Classic Dilbert and Peanuts would get my vote.

WrestleBlog 27 November, 2009 @ 9:57 pm   87

Hey Pete, thanks for the reply earlier. I knew it was a stupid question…

Haven’t got around to trying the reader yet, my battery needs to be charged before I can install the firmware.

May I ask a cheeky question? I’ve noted the two codes you posted earlier, and the code on the website http://www.playstationcomics.com , but is there any chance you could tell me where to find the fourth code you mentioned?

Sorry if I’m cheeky.

Thanks for your time and effort, I’m sure the service will be fantastic… Even if I haven’t tried it yet. This is much more exciting than the video store anyway. :D

Spider-man and Wallace and Gromit?

Right digital comics you dont need to add any more :)

But how will the pricing work? Subscription? 50p a comic?

Will the comics be, for example the last 20 spider-man comics plus every new release?
(i hope you understand this question)

Also, Will we be able to buy the comics through the digital comic reader or will they have to be brought through the psn store.

Pete Stott 28 November, 2009 @ 1:44 pm

to start with it’s pay per comic. If it’s successful we can start to look at alternative payment methods. The comics store will sit along side the game and video stores on the PSN.

How do I delete a comic I no longer want?

Pete Stott 28 November, 2009 @ 1:45 pm

either delete via Media Go or just remove them from the Book folder in the root of your memory stick

@WrestleBlog

The four UK codes released so far are:

Transformers: All Hail Megatron #1

A8D2-KMBF-JKE4

Aleister Arcane #1

ANTL-MGBH-BN2H

Star Trek: Enterprise Experiment #1

MH75-L3BF-HA95

Astro Boy Movie Adaptation #1

FG9D-NFBB-GQ33

RagingAvatar 28 November, 2009 @ 10:14 am   92

Pete (and team) – thanks so much for this application. After the recent onslaught of superhero movies, such as Dark Knight and Watchmen, my love for comic books has come back a little but had so far extended to reading Graphic Novels.

I wanted to start subscribing at my local comic store – but to be honest, the concept of filling my flat with comic books fills me with dread (and no doubt my wife would be none to pleased too!).

Digital Comics is a great alternative for me. Thank you so much for providing it. The feedback and questions about the application itself on this thread are very observant, so I hope you pay attention.

Also, I noticed that comics don’t need to be downloaded through the PSP at the moment – you can redeem codes through the PlayStation Network webpage – and then it’ll provide a download button for the user to download through Media Go. I did it at work yesterday. Hope that helps guys.

Pete Stott 28 November, 2009 @ 1:47 pm

Definitely paying attention! My wife is the same – probably one of the reasons we came up with the idea in the first place ;)

thanks for the codes!

Any chance for the comic store to show up in Poland anytime soon?

coolone22 28 November, 2009 @ 2:38 pm   95

High, I hope I haven’t posted this comment a bit to late so you don’t read it but I do hope you reply!

Anyway I have a few ideas/requests/questions for the comic service which would make it a lot more convenient.

To start with I’m an English speaking person living in Belgium ( A country which already has multiple languages anyway!) And I was wondering whether you would be able to chose which language you purchase a comic in for people who can’t read the local language. Maybe have BIG licenses (Marvel etc.) available in English, French and Flemish but the local ones (Kid Paddle, Suske & Wiske, Smurfs etc.) just available in French and Flemish? I can speak Flemish but I prefer reading in English with international comics and Flemish with local ones.

Pete Stott 28 November, 2009 @ 3:53 pm

we are hearing this a lot. Personally I’d love to offer the English catalogue along side the local ones in each country. There maybe a few legal and technical hurdles to jump, but we’ll try our best.

coolone22 28 November, 2009 @ 2:38 pm   96

Also, at the moment the music player only plays mp3s, will you update so it plays all PSP compatible formats?

And this one isn’t desperate, but will you expand the comic service when Sony expands the Sony online service (PSN) to other platforms? (Sony Ericsons for example?) So that people only have to download the player made for their platform, but the actual comics are all the same file type. (Aka. You will be able to read the comic on your PSP while your brother would rather read it on his phone because he doesn’t have a PSP, and it only requires one download.)

That is quite a lot of requests, but I believe they are all valid, apart from that the comic store is a very exiting prospect which I can’t wait until I get hands on it!)

I know that you haven’t announced the store for Belgium yet, but it does have a TON of good local comics. (I personally recommend Kid Paddle)

Also I would like to see some MANGA available please.

: )

Pete Stott 28 November, 2009 @ 3:56 pm

I’ll pass your comments on to the relevant people. Thanks for taking the time to write them. We are just laying the foundations of the service – who knows where it will lead….

aw, march for the infiltration series, :( sad face.
gonna be tough waiting, quess you’d better give us some decent stuff to read in the meantime. :)

one thing i have just thought of that i would love to see on the comics store is some of the classic 2000ad strips, some of the ones that are near impossible to find.
stuff like zenith, skizz and halo jones, a few of my favourites from 2000ad, which are really hard to find in print these days.
just saw a copy of zenith on amazon going for selling, or not at that price, for 500 quid, and on ebay it goes for over 30 quid.

corpocannibal 28 November, 2009 @ 4:04 pm   98

This was already asked 2 days ago by oliveiraf, but the answer only went to France.

Is there a release date for Portugal?

Pete Stott 28 November, 2009 @ 4:56 pm

sorry, I didn’t answer because I don’t know. If people see there is a lot of demand from Portugal it can only help.

marcoalisanchez 28 November, 2009 @ 6:09 pm   99

greetings from mexico

DigitalComics the Library will be available for Mexico?

vanillacokenz 28 November, 2009 @ 8:05 pm   100

Thank you VERY much for giving us New Zealanders some more free comics! Usually we get left behind because we are such a small country so a thank you for including us in the December opening!!!

You mentioned to another member that there are 4 free comics availble but I can only find the NZ codes for ‘Transformers’ and the two listed here. Is there a NZ code for ‘Aleister Arcane’?

Again THANK YOU!!

wiktorclunk 28 November, 2009 @ 9:41 pm   101

Whether Poland will get used to a service (VidZone, video store, comic )??????

On thing that bothers me is that not a single service seems to reach Belgium.
We don’t have a PS3 video service, we don’t have a TV service on PS3, and by the looks of it, we won’t have a comics on the PSP.
I’m left with 1/2 the PlayStation experience of what it could be.

leonidas30 29 November, 2009 @ 3:19 pm   103

please playstation bring the digital comics in greece please

“There will be a mix of local content and translated content. We are investigating whether we can also offer the English versions. What would you prefer?”

English, English, English!

We all know that it will be released in nordic countries maybe around 2012, and when it does it will only offer horrible translated versions of a few series and issues that were released in English (which we have already read) 5 years ago. Trust me no one who is serious about comics (ie. everyone over the age of 8) wants to read these in any other language than English.

DannyThePhantom 29 November, 2009 @ 11:17 pm   106

Its pretty sweet i think, i can see alot of my cash going on this. As a huge Spidey fan im seriously impressed they’ve got Marvel, hopefully get some Wolverine on it aswell. But gutted that theres no DC, im an avid Batman reader so thatd make me pretty chuffed, but its still an impressive haul tbh. This is one of the best things added to a PSP inna looooooooong time, big props yo! XD

udoy1996 1 December, 2009 @ 4:17 am   107

hi uh today is the 1st of December on new Zealand and shouldn’t the digital comics on play station network come out? i went to play station network and the comic book store on the psp wasn’t there?

i would appreciate if you answer this question.

Pete Stott 1 December, 2009 @ 12:23 pm

sorry – the store won’t be going live until the middle of December. Not long now!

sansalove 1 December, 2009 @ 2:44 pm   108

this service is coming out the 16th right

sansalove 1 December, 2009 @ 2:53 pm   109

i assume you have an exact date this service will launch right

Hi,
this is nice application. are you going to issue books like novels istead of comics? that would be excellent. thanks. :)

johnnyhotrocks 1 December, 2009 @ 6:06 pm   111

hi great service this comic book reader is i love the free samples.
any chance of the star wars comics and graphic novels coming in the near future.

and what about classic british comics like beano,dandy,commando to name a few after all over 70 years to choose from.

Rob1967Fear 2 December, 2009 @ 2:13 pm   112

Commando would be brilliant. ok it is not in colour but what a back catalogue which is still as popular today. this is probably the only comic i would buy for the PSP. So will it be there or not?????

slimster2000 5 December, 2009 @ 7:35 pm   113

I would like to see some classic comics e.g beano and some from whoever publishes the simpsons and futurama. :D

stunsuzy 6 December, 2009 @ 11:39 am   114

This “rollout” should be a wake up call to someone to step back and look at their procedures for releases. It appears that the PSN has adopted a Microsoft strategy to roll outs.

Cmon guys … let’s put a little more thought into something like this and a little more planning. I’m sure not gunna plunk down cash for comics if you can’t even roll out free ones properly.

… frustrated

joeyo560 7 December, 2009 @ 10:39 am   115

Hey, I used these on my psp, then accepted the terms and conditions but i didnt download them, and now it won’t let me acsess them again or type the promotion code in. :(

Bibliotecario 7 December, 2009 @ 10:52 am   116

Iḿ from Spain, we will have codes for this promotion???

udoy1996 8 December, 2009 @ 5:55 am   117

the digital comics for psp releases at mid December?
can you please tell me the actual date for the release for digital comics for psp? the actual date?

i would appreciate if you answer this question

bystrov99 9 December, 2009 @ 12:01 am   118

Hello1))) And what about digital comics in Ukraine?

Ajent_PSN 9 December, 2009 @ 1:53 am   119

Hi Pete,

First of all the reader is awesome. I’ve been looking forward to this feature for a while. I can’t wait to get some Spidey and Wolverine on my PSP.

My main feedback is simply to add voice to what appears a growing crowd, I think PS3 compatability would be awesome plus support from DC would be awesome. Have any announcements been made regarding DC? With so many other playstation/DC exclusives it seemed like a no-brainer for DC to be included. Are you able to confirm whether there are even considerations/talks about DC joining the playstation comics service?

Thanks again for what is already a fab new feature for my shiny PSP, I look forward to future updates and keep up the good work.

Hi, i really like the comic book reader on PSP, i have one very similar on my PC…
will we ever be able to add our own CDisplay comics or E-Books to the reader on PSP ?

hey, just a quick question (probably been asked already :P)
the Bleach manga that i have at jome is something i would love to have on my psp, but i wont have the money to by the whole lot again :/ is there any chance of a program to make a comic out of scanned jpg/gifs/watever? :)
thanks

Is it coming to finland? If its coming can somebody tell me when its coming?

GAMEBOY131 15 December, 2009 @ 9:48 am   123

Hi pete

is deadpool going to be in the marvel comics line up
because they don’t sell many deadpool comics anymore i was hoping PSN think about selling them

when will be the official date the comics come out in the uk

sajjandeep 16 December, 2009 @ 8:46 am   125

when r they goin out in da uk?????????????????????

monkeyman2222 16 December, 2009 @ 8:40 pm   126

is the comic store coming to canada?

lakelandhaze 23 December, 2009 @ 8:29 am   127

As per several posts before this one, having the comics on PS3 is a much more appealing prospect to me – when will this happen?