Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 4:58pm

Introducing Heavy Rain Chronicles + The Special Edition Box

Hi everyone – Alex Pavey here, with some exciting updates on Heavy Rain – the dark thriller from Quantic Dream where your choices can have dramatic consequences.

Heavy Rain

Hopefully many of you will have seen some of the great first impressions of the game that are popping up all over the place. This is the first time that journalists have been given the opportunity to get to play through an extended series of scenes in sequence, so it’s really exciting to see all the positive responses. Look out for the previews (though if you’re trying to avoid even minor plot spoilers, be careful out there!).

The Heavy Rain Chronicles

First of all, I’m pleased to confirm that Heavy Rain will be supported by some very interesting downloadable content – The Heavy Rain Chronicles.

These are a series of additional, fully-playable scenes, where you’ll learn more about the backstory of some of the characters you’ll meet in Heavy Rain itself. The first episode will centre on Madison – and the setting will be familiar to those of you who have been following the progress of Heavy Rain closely…

Heavy Rain Chronicles

Heavy Rain: Chronicle One – The Taxidermist sees Madison Paige investigating a suspicious and reclusive taxidermist, and finding herself unexpectedly in grave danger.

The episode is an expansion and update of the original ‘Taxidermist’ demo that received such a positive response when shown at E3 and gamescom last year.

Chronicles One and Two will be available for download from the PlayStation Store after the launch of Heavy Rain early next year – although there will be some opportunities to get hold of the episode a little earlier. Which brings me on to…

Heavy Rain – Collector’s Edition

I’m excited to announce the Heavy Rain Collector’s Edition…

Heavy Rain Special Edition

The Collector’s Edition is packaged in a special ‘rain-effect’ slipcase – thanks to special embossing and other manufacturing tricks, it gives the impression of being streaked with 3D rain-drops (something that has confused a lot of people when they’ve seen it lying on my desk recently!).

But cool as that is, that’s not all. The Collector’s Edition also contains a voucher to download the following additional content from the PlayStation Store:

• Heavy Rain: Chronicle 1 – The Taxidermist – Experience Madison’s dangerous investigation in full, before it’s available on the PlayStation Store
  • The Heavy Rain Official Soundtrack – Recorded at the legendary Abbey Road studios, and filled with the powerful orchestral themes that form a key part of the experience of playing Heavy Rain
  • Dynamic XMB theme – Lend a little Heavy Rain ambience to your XMB

The ways in which you can get your hands on the Collector’s Edition will vary across Europe, so keep a look out for more info on this soon.

That’s all for now, but I’ll be around in the comments section for a while to answer any questions you might have – and keep your eyes open for more Heavy Rain updates soon.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

118 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first

ooh nice.
and the game looks fantastic too.

JPKooper616 18 December, 2009 @ 5:04 pm   2

That box art looks amazing… I cant wait to see it in person!

A non oversized collectors edition? Yes please.

Gavin_Rozee 18 December, 2009 @ 5:05 pm   4

Can’t wait to get this. I’ll be ordering this edition as soon as it’s on the GAME website.

Any chance of a HD video of the original “audition” demonstration on the disc as an extra? that was stunning.

Can’t wait for this :) Hopefully the special edition will be made available in norway as well.

Getting it. I’ve been hoping that I’d get to play the Taxidermist demo it looks really fun/creepy. I cannot wait for HR, and I shall be pre-ordering the special edition as soon as the opportuinity presents itself.

Day 1 DLC?

yeah….. wooo….. :(

I hate this generation of gaming sometimes :(

YobRenoops 18 December, 2009 @ 5:06 pm   9

I never say this but Day One for me on the collectors edition

I hope it doesn’t cost too much.

Looks cool though

Want. Special. Edition. Now.

Any news on a confirmed release date?

Oh yeah! I’m gonna get this!
Looks like a great game!

Best gfx 2010??

Cool, cool and more cool! Well done guys this looks amazing!

Gavin_Rozee 18 December, 2009 @ 5:09 pm   14

Is the DLC already on the disc? Will we just be buying and/or downloading an unlock key for the Chronicles?

designheadache 18 December, 2009 @ 5:10 pm   15

really good to see this isnt a giant sized collectors edition with something useless i dont care about, but adds value to the core product.

Any word on pricing , such as, would it be better to buy the collectors edition if you want the DLC for example rather than buy the standard edition and get the DLC separately?

mmmm looks good.

Hello,

Heavy Rain has been my number one most awaited video game since its public revelation. I am not the type of customer who spends money on DLC and purchases a game day-one , but be certain that i will purchase each and everyone of the supplemental content you will be delivering to Heavy Rain.

I will support Quantic Dream, and i sure hope that many will do so as well. This is a title everyone must absolutely experience.

Yours truly,

aat08

oh snap. day freaking one. good job on these collectors editions sony! they are 100% awesome!

nutbear96 18 December, 2009 @ 5:14 pm   19

Its sounds good that a CE of a game is including DLC (which most devs are just finishing off at the time of release anyway). But what is Heavy Rain? Isn’t it just a much longer version of Linger in Shadows?

Oh i do have a question: Could David Cage send me an invitation to visit your headquarters :)

Bought! Should go nicely with ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. :D

onlineatron 18 December, 2009 @ 5:20 pm   22

Is the case cardboard of metal?

Cardboard cases tend to fray and annoy me after a while.

Nice one.

addyjones1234 18 December, 2009 @ 5:22 pm   24

how much is the special ed and where is it available from?

onlineatron 18 December, 2009 @ 5:32 pm   25

Also… i’m confused.

Are the chronicles free or paid for?

Are these instead of or including the demo.

EpicMcDude 18 December, 2009 @ 5:38 pm   26

Is it free? Are you going to say something about the price?

Thanks.

I have an idea which could be good.
For the limited edition, put some instructions on how to make an origami in it. And with that, put like some piece of paper with the playable character’s faces on, so when the origami is correctly finished on each face of the origami, you can see their faces. :D

Yay or nay from anyone?

Polypinoon 18 December, 2009 @ 5:41 pm   28

Is this a limited edition or not?

Awesome box art!

wardragon989 18 December, 2009 @ 5:52 pm   30

Wow that looks good =D

I take it the Special Edition will cost a bit more?

xKillerMonkeyx 18 December, 2009 @ 5:55 pm   31

Whens this game out again? Looks awesomely awesomesauce

RoyalWelsh99 18 December, 2009 @ 5:55 pm   32

The box art looks amazing!! I cannot wait until I get my hands on this game! :)

SE package looks awesome, and having a dynamic theme is a nice bonus. I’m really looking forward to this game and will definitely be getting the SE package and I’m really glad the story will be continued with episodic content too…

vonhammer 18 December, 2009 @ 6:11 pm   34

Been looking forward to this since I watched the casting vid at E3 07 (i think) can’t believe it’s almost time,and media blackouts FTW

Alex Pavey 18 December, 2009 @ 6:15 pm   35

Hey everyone! Great to hear such positive comments, and really glad that you’re excited by all this news (and especially that you like the box art!) :)

To try and answer a couple of queries:

I can’t confirm an exact release date yet, but it’ll be early next year (so not too long to go!)

The Chronicles are additional, paid-for DLC episodes (unfortunately I can’t confirm the exact pricing yet) – but you get the first episode as part of the Special Edition.

Chronicle One isn’t included on the Special Edition disc – you’ll be downloading it from the PS Store using the voucher code that comes in the packaging.

The pricing and availability of the Special Edition will vary across Europe, so I can’t give a definitive answer right now – but more information will follow.

Oh, and LockIeys? Interesting idea you’ve got there… You know what they say about great minds thinking alike? Well, you’re not the only person who’s suggested that idea… ;)

Have a great weekend guys! I’ll try and pop back on here later.

Amherst_Wind_4 18 December, 2009 @ 6:15 pm   36

I really hope this isn’t a play.com exclusive, buying games from there is terrible, you never get them anywhere near the launch date. They’re the reason I didn’t bother with Assassin’s Creed Black Edition.

Cool looking Box that ;P

According to the US blog they are valued at $4.99 each episode – so based on previous exchange rates used I would estimate between £3.19 to £3.99 per episode.

According to the US Blog

“Each Chronicle will offer unique, stand-alone, playable short stories featuring one of Heavy Rain’s main characters, and a storyline taking place either before or after Heavy Rain’s original narrative. Similar to Heavy Rain, each episode will offer a unique journey and different outcomes based on the players’ decisions and actions.”

So they are not directly related to the main game’s narrative, so no need to think you’re going to have to pay so see the end of the game or anything like that. Heavy Rain as a concept really suits this type of episodic narrative IMO…

P.S. I think it would be a cool little extra to have some origami instructions included with the game as well…

wardragon989 18 December, 2009 @ 6:28 pm   39

Just to jump on the comments; having origami instructions would be very cool. Of course i would just create the one that’s on the box =P

Nice for a “special edition”, not exactly so for a “collector’s edition”. I mean, no soundtrack on cd, just some downloadable extra’s and a fancy slip-on cover? At the very least a concept-art book would be nice for a collector’s edition. There have been quite a few amazing concept art pics from this game so why not? Or a making-of DVD, it’s well known that Quantic Dream has their own motion capture studio, I mean this has to be freakin’ hilarious to see how some of the scenes were put together: http://i50.tinypic.com/2mnmywj.jpg (from the Quantic Dream website).

Also, I really do hope “available in Europe” will actually mean “Europe” and not just the UK as is often the case. Collector’s/Special editions are rarely available here in the Netherlands, while the UK has often multiple stores offering all sorts of bonus stuff.

Definitely purchasing this :)
and yes, extra physical content is amazing :D like the paper crafts killzone 2 did
im all for having instructions for the origami killers origami ;)

I’m seconding a request for an HD version of the audition. This is a day one purchase for me. The only game I’m sure to buy in 2010.

Presskohle 18 December, 2009 @ 6:53 pm   43

DLC and CE announcement before clarifying a fixed date for the actual game = FAIL.

Exception: God of War, because..its GoW

Galvanise_ 18 December, 2009 @ 6:55 pm   44

Fantastic collectors edition.

I’ve been looking forward to this game for years. If Quantic Dream pull this off, this will be my GOTY.

Can’t say i’m very impressed with the special edition. No art book, no making of DVD, No in-game prop brought to life, No figurine. Just a bunch of repackaged content you could easily get elsewhere/at a later moment.

Disappointing :-/

SOUNDTRACK DIGITAL OR COMPACT DISC?

This is always left out of this kind of news, but essential to most buyers. Most collector’s would love the soundtrack to be on a CD and to be touchable/physical instead of digital. Too much extra’s are going digital and it annoys the hell out of me!!

divine1000 18 December, 2009 @ 7:01 pm   47

I’ll definitely be grabbing one of those CE’s. I have a feeling you’re going to get burnt by announcing the DLC now though, people are going to want to know why it wasn’t included on the regular disc…

divine1000 18 December, 2009 @ 7:04 pm   48

A few more adult dynamic themes would be appreciated too, SCE…

Disclaimer: By ‘adult’ I mean Uncharted, MW2, Ninja Gaiden, etc :)

GIVEMEURBANANAHS 18 December, 2009 @ 7:07 pm   49

Do you know when this will be available to pre-order, and by which stores?

Any extra information would be handy, thanks.

Rude_Sparthan 18 December, 2009 @ 7:16 pm   50