Posted 3:15pm

MAG Open Beta Now Live

Happy New Year all! What better news for the New Year than to remind everyone that the MAG Beta Trial is now available for new users to download from the PlayStation Store. The game servers are also online, so for all those lucky folk who have already downloaded the new patch and data set you can jump in right away! We have seen a few connection issues today, which the team are working to resolve, so it’s possible you may experience some issues connecting to games for the time being. Full details are below in case you missed the original announcement:

With the release of MAG not far off now, I’m pleased to announce that following our successful series of Beta programs, Zipper and Sony Computer Entertainment will team up in January to bring you the final and 100% open PSN Beta!

MAG

This will be a global Beta allowing you to compete with players from all over the world, with access to the game’s 64-player ‘Sabotage’ and 256-player ‘Domination’ game modes. New Beta users will have access to the download on the PlayStation Store from January 4th onwards, with the Beta ending on January 11th at 07:59 GMT.

Now that you know when to get the MAG Beta, your path to playing it is a simple three-step process:

1. Log on to the PlayStation Store and download the MAG Beta file like you would any other freely-available PSN video or demo (37 MB)
  2. Launch the MAG Beta program from your XMB to download a special patch that will restart MAG once the update has been received (another 38 MB)
  3. After the reboot, the beta will reconnect and download the actual game data so that you can play (1.8 GB – 2.3 GB depending on your region)

Pre-existing MAG Beta trialists will be able to download the new Beta 5 update from 13:00 GMT tomorrow, December 22nd. This should give you plenty of time to get hold of the new data set before the trial begins in earnest on the Jan 4th, but the game servers won’t be operational until then.

I would like to thank the community for all their support of the game and wish you a merry Christmas and happy New Year!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

181 Comments 5 Author replies
Show oldest first

addyjones1234 4 January, 2010 @ 3:17 pm   1

still downloading the 1.8gb update :( 850mb done so far bout 2 hours

samich2007 4 January, 2010 @ 3:34 pm   2

downloading it right now.
@addyjones: When more people are downloading the game, the download will download faster. It wont count for us becouse we are oné of the first…:( But it works with a torrent system.

Cant wait to play 256! Still 63% to go!

TehPhilosopher 4 January, 2010 @ 3:34 pm   3

And I have to travel on business tomorrow :( Well, more intensity tonight and during the weekend.

Tickled pink.

Is the Open Beta still under a NDA or are we allowed to post pictures and videos online?

Stonesthrow 4 January, 2010 @ 3:36 pm   5

yea im skippin out on this one cause the previous beta took hours to download as well..and i didnt even like the controlls, so i hope they fixed or improved those, cause i got the full game pre ordered..

TehPhilosopher 4 January, 2010 @ 3:44 pm   6

Seems to estimate around 120 minutes for the whole 1.8 gig package here in Holland at current transfer rate – obviously depends on your connection.

SVER for the winz!

Killieman275 4 January, 2010 @ 3:59 pm   8

Can’t wait to get started!

Been downloading though for 2 hours now though and still only at 56% :(

tetsuwwwww 4 January, 2010 @ 4:00 pm   9

GREAT

I played it today and it works fine.

wow! i better let it download overnight then, will play tomorrow :]

Meatguy28 4 January, 2010 @ 4:37 pm   11

Nice to see MAG finally hitting public.

On an unrelated note. When can we expect to see Little Big Planet GOTY edition and Demon’s Souls here in Europe?

Robert-Ninja 4 January, 2010 @ 4:43 pm   12

Damn, just shy of 2GBs -_- This is gonna take a while.

I’m getting an instllation error on the first 32mb file, it gets to about 10% then errors ?

ImaginedBug 4 January, 2010 @ 4:49 pm   14

Wait, so we have the 2.3GB installed from a previous beta, then have to download and install a 38MB patch, then do the entire 2.3GB download & install all over again?

Elliott "Shijima" Martin 4 January, 2010 @ 4:54 pm

That’s correct. We need to ensure that everyone is using the very latest data set for this final test.

Gekidami 4 January, 2010 @ 4:50 pm   15

I hope the games been fixed up abit since the closed beta.

wiktorclunk 4 January, 2010 @ 4:58 pm   16

GREAT!!!!

xKillerMonkeyx 4 January, 2010 @ 5:07 pm   17

Thanks guys woooooo great game.

Servers are down guys =( been down now for 30 minutes

Raider197 4 January, 2010 @ 5:26 pm   19

On 57% now, first time playing, hope it’s good guys!

P.S, new SOCOM sequel with a single player mode would be great ;)

somethingatt 4 January, 2010 @ 5:39 pm   20

Great stuff, had a couple of matches and loving the improvements (I was in the earliest BETA before the 2000+ changes).
My main gripe was it was hard seeing enemies due to bad graphics but now it’s much cleaner so kudos on improving that.

I’ll be honest after the first BETA I wasn’t going to buy it but now I’m quite excited for it.
Good choice to run a BETA with the latest code, it definitely changed my mind :)

Too bad servers seem to be down atm, let us know when they are up again.

There seem to have been some problem with Groups and deployment (that was not on earlier betas). I hope they get it fixed, since this game is on it’s best when you have working team together.

matty_IeUaN 4 January, 2010 @ 5:52 pm   22

ok i ask on the older post with no reply, so i will try here, i was in the closed beta, and i have updated it today, now however i get the error that says ” unable to establish connection to the server at this time.” where my mate who lives opposite the road has the same ISP yet can access the game. can someone please tell me whats going on.

thanks alot

almighty-slayer 4 January, 2010 @ 6:11 pm   23

I can’t be bothered to download a huge patch, so no. Just no.

almighty-slayer 4 January, 2010 @ 6:12 pm   24

And weirdly, some of us have bandwidth caps

Gekidami 4 January, 2010 @ 6:14 pm   25

Been queued for ages now but i’m not deploying?

Bloodhound123 4 January, 2010 @ 6:21 pm   26

I have a solution quit the beta while its recieving the 1.8GB update then renter it, it should be a bit faster also if your thinking “Well I have to download it again, you don’t it justs installs the part you got up to really fast, and I mean REALLY FAST

Bloodhound123 4 January, 2010 @ 6:22 pm   27

P.S Will there be any MAG avatars, they look cool (especially yours Elliot :))

It didn’t take that long to download my beta ;) A lot better than the old beta which took me about erm 5 hours +! :-/ Much quicker now.

parapetti 4 January, 2010 @ 6:27 pm   29

cool can’t wait to play! way to go starting the year with a bang ;)

QuezcatoL 4 January, 2010 @ 6:28 pm   30

Had to “search” for “MAG” to find the beta on the PSN-store… very weird.
Also, this can’t really be a “Beta” since the game is supposed to be out very soon. Anyway, the graphic looked great.

orionX65 4 January, 2010 @ 6:30 pm   31

Wish i could get it, download keeps freezing at different points which in turn crashes the ps3 when i quit the game :/

BalramRules 4 January, 2010 @ 6:31 pm   32

The thing I hate is that when you download and install it, once you play it, THERE’S MORE DOWNLOADING, AND YOU CAN’T DO A BACKGROUND DOWNLOAD OF THAT PART!!!

Can you please make the finished game differently in which all you need to do is download and install once, in the XMB Display as it’s irritating being bored for a game to download FOREVER, as Im a INTERNET MORON!! XD

samich2007 4 January, 2010 @ 6:38 pm   33

I’ve just played 3 rounds and it’s great this new update! :)
The game runs very smooth (better than before), and it plays very well! Great game! Direct buy when it’s released.

But the servers are overloaded now… do you have any information about this, and do you know when they are up again?

Thanks,
Samich2007
A Member Of Raven

LostAbyss 4 January, 2010 @ 6:40 pm   34

same issue as Gekidami, i was queued for about 20 minutes and didnt deploy, i believe even though several games started… i got skiped over?

Looks like the polishing wasn’t enough from last closed beta to this one. Anyway, the game will be released with a precious hand from the community which is quite unique and deserves my sincere kudos.

same issue as Gekidami and LostAbyss.. i was in queue for maybe 30 minutes and couldn’t get ingame.

Brodiesan 4 January, 2010 @ 6:59 pm   37

So much for the stress test …

MobileTone 4 January, 2010 @ 7:07 pm   38

sorry but this game hasn’t even made it onto my ‘B’ list.

roll on Army of TWO next week -woooooooooooooooot-

Hav0k569 4 January, 2010 @ 7:08 pm   39

ok why does the server keep goin down and the player count is saying 0 across all teams, there seems to be some minor and major issues right now, also i love the game its great stuff guys but i would like it if it didnt take 30 minutes to get in a game

Killieman275 4 January, 2010 @ 7:11 pm   40

Is everyone getting the “Unable to establish a connection to the server at this time” message or is it just a few people?

OlleR1985 4 January, 2010 @ 7:15 pm   41

Same here. Got to play one game (before it said lost connection) and I long for more :)

A lot of “cannot connect” and now I’m stuck in queue

CrucioMors 4 January, 2010 @ 7:19 pm   42

Unable to establish as well…just want to play before work :P

Keleezy-94 4 January, 2010 @ 7:22 pm   43

I started it up about 30 minutes ago, tried to join a game, but was quesd in, and also had 0 from all the other teams, and i was the only one in the que it seemed (still not sure about the queing system).

Now i go back to try again and i get “Unable to establish a connection to the server at this time. Press OK to try again.”

also, on a sidenote, is there an actuall tutorial for training, or is it just those pages?

Elliott "Shijima" Martin 5 January, 2010 @ 10:56 am

The training mode is not functional in the Beta, as we wanted to keep the download size at a minimum by not including training levels for all three factions. However, we left the menu option there so people can peruse the different training exercises to get some insight into some of the features of the game.

TehPhilosopher 4 January, 2010 @ 7:22 pm   44

Same problems as above. Can’t connect to server, and the time I did sat in queue for 15 mins until the connection broke.

This reminds me why I usually don’t participate in betas :P At least hopefully they’ll be able to fix the server issues before release – the game itself is gold already so I’d imagine the version we just downloaded is pretty much the same as release.

heheelys 4 January, 2010 @ 7:22 pm   45

Yeah I tried it loads of times. I got to play a bunch of games before. But it gives me error messages. Then I tried again and it said that the connection to the server could not be established. But it’s an awesome game.

TehPhilosopher 4 January, 2010 @ 7:25 pm   46

#43: yeah, the queue system is awful and confusing.

Why can’t console game makers just copy-paste the queue systems from PC FPSs which have had proper, working and filterable queues for a decade now. Looking at you KZ2 especially – still no way to filter FF on servers. Well, that one FF server, but still…

carmnii69 4 January, 2010 @ 7:28 pm   47

can you solve the problem!!!

supersmurf08 4 January, 2010 @ 7:42 pm   48

not working so whats the point?

Raider197 4 January, 2010 @ 7:46 pm   49

Same here, “unable to connect to server”

Raider197 4 January, 2010 @ 7:53 pm   50

Actually, I can connect now, but it isn’t letting me load my profile, or even showing me it. I can just see the “Welcome to MAG 1.5!” thing.

Elliott "Shijima" Martin 5 January, 2010 @ 10:58 am

This was due to the ‘skeleton’ server being brought online to perform maintenance on the servers. This may happen from time to time as the team work to fix problems and improve the experience.

Load all