Posted 5:15pm

PSN Error Update

As you may be aware, some customers have been unable to connect to the PlayStation Network today. This problem affects the models other than the new slim PS3.

We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system.

Errors include:

• The date of the PS3 system may be re-set to Jan 1, 2000.
  • When the user tries to sign-in to the PlayStation Network, the following message appears on the screen; “An error has occurred. You have been signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)”.
  • When the user tries to launch a game, the following error message appears on the screen and the trophy data may disappear; “Failed to install trophies. Please exit your game.”
  • When the user tries to set the time and date of the system via the Internet, the following message appears on the screen; “The current date and time could not be obtained. (8001050F)”
  • Users are not able to playback certain rental video downloaded from the PlayStation Store before the expiration date.

We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.

As mentioned above, Please be advised that the new slim PS3 is not affected with this error. We are doing our best to resolve the issue and do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

For the latest status on this situation please check either PlayStation.Blog, Twitter or PlayStation.com.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

1352 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

JordanBlack68 1 March, 2010 @ 5:18 pm   1

It seems you are just waiting after midnight to see if the problem fixes itself.

ShadowDoGGG 1 March, 2010 @ 5:18 pm   2

ooooo updates! keep it up :D go EU SCEE :D

Andy-McK-4ever 1 March, 2010 @ 5:19 pm   3

Nice to see an update on the situation. I just hope that this isn’t inflicting any serious damage on the PSN servers or the affected consoles. Hopefully it can be solved soon.

JesteR17011 1 March, 2010 @ 5:19 pm   4

Great so they will wait indeed until tomorrow to see if it fixes itself.

Agreed #1, little bit annoyed actually about all this as I was off work today and picked up heavy rain last night. Still to play it.

DjRalford 1 March, 2010 @ 5:20 pm   6

That a big confirm on the “lets wait for it to fix itself at midnight” if it doesn’t then what?

I’m glad i picked a slim up 4 days ago, my 60Gig upstairs has reset itself to 31/12/1999 23:30 however and will do naff all.

Ddave_73 1 March, 2010 @ 5:21 pm   7

great update…………. NOT !!

mow tell us something we didn’t know hours upon hours ago.

Onna76_NL 1 March, 2010 @ 5:21 pm   8

My games only say “copyright error”, though with the same code. Is that basically the same Jem, because I’ve experienced this before and had to re-download all my 35+ PSN games :-? Also none trophy connected PSN games don’t work and Pixeljunk Monsters starts up but ends up to be a demo *lol*.

What if the error isn’t gone after 24 hours?

DOBOSTAR247 1 March, 2010 @ 5:21 pm   9

It does appear that way.

parker-94 1 March, 2010 @ 5:21 pm   10

Well it’s the Y2K/Millenium Bug issue all over again! .. Except it was true this time.

I’m not bothered though, as the owner of 2 PlayStation 3 slim consoles (A 120GB and a 250GB) I’m unaffected.

For Sony’s sake, I hope the issue resolves itself, and in a timely manner.

In this time of wait – why not venture outdoors? :P

Mc_Sorley 1 March, 2010 @ 5:22 pm   11

Anyone having problems with their Heavy Rain premium theme being corrupt?

night64448 1 March, 2010 @ 5:22 pm   12

Go go go !

Sir_Gunnalot 1 March, 2010 @ 5:22 pm   13

For those playing games with trophies, and have noticed your trophies have suddenly disappeared from the trophy list on your PS3.

Do not despair. All trophies synched before today shall be fine. Trophy data is stored on Sony’s servers.

Please remember the PSN is not down (because Slims and a small number of models of the original size can still connect).

Jack-Bauer-89 1 March, 2010 @ 5:23 pm   14

im happy to wait, its easy enough to pick up a book or watch a film.

rhabhitz 1 March, 2010 @ 5:23 pm   15

wait till the morning, go work come home. put ps3 on woooo it works…dear will you wash the pots and cook the dinner…..o crap lol…..cheers for the update sony i will wait till 2moro

suosblood 1 March, 2010 @ 5:23 pm   16

OK WE ARE WAIT FOR THIS UPDATE, BUT IF THE CONSOLE SN’T PLAY WITH THE SAME PROBLEM.. GIVE US A FREE “NEW SLIM PS3 CONSOLE”. THANKS!

weirdNumber 1 March, 2010 @ 5:25 pm   17

So the update is basically telling us what we knew at 0030 last night? You hoping to resolve the problem in the next 24 hours is Sony crossing their fingers and hoping it fixes itself at midnight tonight Im guessing.
A problem with the RTC can only be fixed with physical access to the clock ie removing the battery connected to it.
Oh well hopefully it does fix itself and then I suppose we will see a firmware update to account for the lost that that the RTC will in effect have experienced.

Kitty-Wali- 1 March, 2010 @ 5:26 pm   18

Will we see new Firmware ?

Thank You for the update.

That’s all.

I will not thank you for your Poor Customer service and almost laughable ignorance of your community.

I don’t think Xbox 360 has better games than PS3. But they care about their users a whole lot more!

Onna76_NL 1 March, 2010 @ 5:27 pm   21

By the way Jem, there are several Slim versions with the same problem, only not that many comparing to the Fat version.

JimmyDestiny 1 March, 2010 @ 5:28 pm   22

I am having problems loading up a new game and i did not have the internet turned on so this has nothing to do with the net connection rather a problem with the system. the hd light didnt run at all during installation and it remained at 0% for 15-20min before i gave up.

StalkingSilence 1 March, 2010 @ 5:29 pm   23

Thanks for the update. Hope the corrupted data (themes and other DLC) is resolved.

seblonguk 1 March, 2010 @ 5:29 pm   24

Sitting in the silent room,
Their clocks were ticking still,
But ‘neath their High-Def Bravias,
their consoles breathing nil.

‘Cos money buys you games to play,
and laughter with some mates,
they’ve said ‘it just does everything’,
but don’t trust it knows the date.

rytm-ulicy 1 March, 2010 @ 5:30 pm   25

So? We know about it from 12 hours.

ytevo79 1 March, 2010 @ 5:30 pm   26

Hi guys I understand what’s going on but can you promise if we don’t switch on our PS3′s than we wont loose any data later on?

rytm-ulicy 1 March, 2010 @ 5:31 pm   27

So? We know about it from 12 hours. What’s next?

ShapeThrower 1 March, 2010 @ 5:31 pm   28

Question … Will this in anyway affect recording programmes via the PlayTV unit ? If it does I’m going to have to explain this to the Wife Unit !!!

jason-bridges 1 March, 2010 @ 5:31 pm   29

it will probably fix itself. well hope so as ps ain’t doing much. so far in the last 12+hours they’ve “discovered” the obvious.

DANNY3194 1 March, 2010 @ 5:31 pm   30

Thanks for the update. Hope it’s all sorted soon

Just a quick question Jem….. after launching some games, my trophies for those games disappeared….will I be able to restore them after this fix?

Jem what’s happening with people who obtained trophies last night but they didn’t show up due to that issue? Would suck to loose them… That’s like 5gours playing for nothing…

Regarding the non functional dynamis themes… i heard it’s a side effect of the problem

Lee_and_Nomi 1 March, 2010 @ 5:32 pm   33

Thanks for the update although I think my girlfriend is going to risk my poor PS3 so she can watch Glee. I hope it holds up!

CaptnSpaulding 1 March, 2010 @ 5:32 pm   34

In other words, wait until midnight and hope it fixes itself as Sony haven’t got a bloody clue! And if it doesn’t fix itself after midnight? Recall??
I sure as hell ain’t paying a penny for a new console/fix!
What about those with no internet connections if they rely on a firmware update etc?

What a shamble!

“It only does everything… except know what time and date it is”

My son’s £2.00 watch is still working yet a £300 games console doesn’t?

Japs eh? First Toyota now Sony…

batter_splatter 1 March, 2010 @ 5:32 pm   35

Sounds like sony will be replacing alot of ps3′s fats with slim

Sp4reNL 1 March, 2010 @ 5:34 pm   36

The FAT CHECHL’s (at least the CECHL03 and CECHL04) do not seem to have this problem.

jrichman 1 March, 2010 @ 5:34 pm   37

does any one know when psn is up ok to sign in

llewellyn237 1 March, 2010 @ 5:34 pm   38

The long awaited update told us what we knew 17 hours ago.

Yay!

Trixter 1 March, 2010 @ 5:34 pm   39

An update at last! I’ll agree it’s not very helpful but at least we’ve been given a timeframe.

“More of what you want, and features you never expected” – they were right…I never wanted trophies and I also got features I never expected (like not being able to play my games).

You recommend that we don’t use our PS3′s but the vast majority only found out about this error by turning it on.

PlanetJumble 1 March, 2010 @ 5:37 pm   41

At least they admit now that the problem covers much more than just PSN connection – though the title is still missleading. Being unable to connect to PSN is only one manifastation and IMHO playing games on a game console is much more important than doing it online or purchasing more.

My FAT 80G works perfectly. J have CECHL04.

Why cant it just work???

N64, PS1 never broke down! why do we need this trophy rubbish anyway

the only problem is that if i thought xbox were any better, i’d get one of them but their just as bad

come on guys stop kicking your customers in the balls

Gutted

i hope the update will be today ,that will be nice.laterzzzz

hadji_7 1 March, 2010 @ 5:38 pm   45

how long is it gonna take for psn to work if it fails u r buying us all a new slim ps3 wat about those people who just bought a ps3 today.

PenguinGlen 1 March, 2010 @ 5:39 pm   46

Hope this gets resolved soon. Thanks for the updates Sony.

I wasn’t on PSN yesterday but I was using the internet browser around midnight. My PS3 froze which happens quite often for me whilst using the internet browser and I simply turned the console off and back on as usual. When I switched back on I noticed that the time had changed to 23:30 which I thought was strange, but didn’t think much of it. Glad I checked the blog first beforehand, will not be usign my PS3 tonight until further confirmation. :)

Ddave_73 1 March, 2010 @ 5:40 pm   47

@ 35

not with me they wont.

to replace my console they have to replace my console, not replace it with a smaller less functional machine that does less than my current ps3 and has missing hardware.

I use my card reader all the time and the ps2 b/c all the time and a new slim just wont fulfill the needs I had when I bought my ps3 at launch and I still have those needs and to be given what can be argued is an inferior product in return wont work with me.

It has to be replaced like for like and a launch day fat vs ps3 slim is not like for like.

I love my PS3. Maybe too much as it is my own private home entertainment system. Now i am recommended not to use it AT ALL?

How many of you were aware that the games that you bought on disc would not work if you were not connected to the internet? Fair enough that every system can have a bug now and then, but when the product i have bought wont work because of an unessential calendar issue, I just have to ask how much is tied up to PSN without my knowing. I just cant see how any date (no matter what) should have to effect my purchased games offline? For example Heavy Rain… (Heavy Rain trophy issue, http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100228203617AAKmolA )

What is the point to get a disc at all if you cant play it stand-alone and offline wherever you are?

PS3 user :Dent_

MJHAYLETT 1 March, 2010 @ 5:40 pm   49

You missed the part about the downloaded games now have no ‘Owner’ data associated with it and hence I can’t play them either.

M0nk3y_R1mm3r 1 March, 2010 @ 5:42 pm   50

I can’t believe what I’m seeing! I fork out over £300 on a PS3, then nearly £100 to upgrade the HDD, then the best part of £40 on new games to play only to find I can’t play them whether I’m signed into the PSN or not! I’m sorry?! I feel like I’ve been robbed! So much for next generation gaming! At least when XBox Live is down I can still play my games offline! So far the only consoles I’ve got that work no matter what are the Nintento Wii and the Nintendo DS!

I’d expect Sony to have tested these consoles before ever putting them got mass production? I’m beginning to think it was a bad choice even buying the PS3, I mean my old PSOne still works fine, so what’s the problem with the PS3?

Just wait till the sue happy US get under full steam.. wonder how Sony will offer to compensate us for what is in effect a faulty console. “We advise you to not switch it on until tomorrow….” really? So what good is it?! I have a long weekend off to play Heavy Rain and find my experience ruined by yet another error on Sonys part!

Thanks Sony, thanks a lot.

Load all