Posted 3:22pm

Lock And Load: Announcing The New SOCOM

Hi All,

Just wanted to share some really exciting news with you about Zipper Interactive who recently released the brilliant MAG. The guys have busy working away on the re-envisioning of a certain military franchise that they are hugely passionate about… I’m pleased to announce that an all new SOCOM is gunning its way exclusively to PS3!

So what can you expect from this thrilling new title from Zipper Interactive? While retaining the pillars of previous SOCOM games (team work, authenticity and innovative online play) this is an all new SOCOM experience created from the ground up for the PlayStation 3. You’ve never played a SOCOM game like this.

SOCOM 4

Here’s the story:

In South East Asia, a revolutionary army has seized control of a country bordering one of the world’s most vital waterways; threatening to disrupt he global economy.

Your mission is to step into the well-worn boots of the Ops Com, a NATO Operations Commander of an elite, five-man squad. You must venture deep into inhospitable jungles, city streets and crumbling urban ruins to engage an army of rebel fighters and discover their plans. Although you’re vastly outnumbered, you’re armed with the latest weaponry and your men are second to none – but do you possess the stealth, speed and tactical thinking to lead them to victory? Time is not on your side: you have just six days to complete your mission. To emerge victorious, you must lead from the front, maintain control of the situation and fight with sheer intensity.

SOCOM 4

In addition to the gripping new single-player story mode, you’ll find all of the different ways to play that you’d expect from a SOCOM title. Online, you’ll be able to do battle with other teams in matches for up to 32 players – and you can choose to play in the guise of more world-famous Special Forces units than ever before. And – as it’s SOCOM – the realism of the experience will be second to none. As always, teamwork will carry the day.

SOCOM 4

Even at this early stage the game is looking great and with a little bit of gentle persuasion the guys have kindly shared a few screenshots from the game – make sure you tune in again tomorrow as we will be unveiling, for the very first time, the EXCLUSIVE TEASER TRAILER!

Let me know what you think and of course watch this space for further intelligence!

Cheers
Richard

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

108 Comments 3 Author replies
Show oldest first

vonhammer 4 March, 2010 @ 8:03 pm   1

Sweet,looks good

majesticbeastt 4 March, 2010 @ 8:04 pm   2

omg sony i love you:D

Zipper…hooray!

parker-94 4 March, 2010 @ 8:05 pm   4

At least it’s Zipper and not Slant6.

Ahmedz_LOLZaMan 4 March, 2010 @ 8:06 pm   5

LAAAAME!

Is this the “surprise sequel” that’s going to be announced on GameTrailers?

samich2007 4 March, 2010 @ 8:10 pm   7

NICE!!!

godofwar_fan 4 March, 2010 @ 8:10 pm   8

Sorry for being harsh,i just find games made by Zipper Interactive really bland and boring.It would be nice of them to take help from naughty dog or Guerilla Games to improve on visuals and game design.

Liamario 4 March, 2010 @ 8:10 pm   9

Looking good, but would really like to see it in motion or even some gameplay. I think I will remain reluctant until then

maggi85 4 March, 2010 @ 8:11 pm   10

no killzone 3 :(

Oh no!!! I was just dying to hear that this sequel is gonna be Heavenly Sword 2 :( Bring Nariko back!!!

s_wrenn 4 March, 2010 @ 8:12 pm   12

I can’t wait

godofwar_fan 4 March, 2010 @ 8:12 pm   13

I am very much disappointed,its 1.30AM here in my stupid country and i was staying all night awake to hear about killzone 3′s announcement:-(

Cmon GG

Nice one :)

Zipper FTW!

mew_frenger 4 March, 2010 @ 8:12 pm   15

NICE!

Ravenblade86 4 March, 2010 @ 8:12 pm   16

Slant6 have done a good job to improve Confrontation since launch, though it should of shipped in better shape but its very good to hear that Socom 4 is coming from Zipper and it includes single player :)

Rather surprised to hear about this so soon after MAG though, would of figured that MAG had taken up most of Zipper’s resources considering the scale of the project.

mattkan 4 March, 2010 @ 8:12 pm   17

I’ll tell you what i think. Great news, more to do with SOCOM is going back to Zipper. And the fact that SONY has realised this franchise still has life in it. Good to see the SP back aswell. Something that was seriously missing in Confrontation.

maddymad 4 March, 2010 @ 8:12 pm   18

This is SONY surprise to be announced on GT TV tonight? I’m disappointed. I thought it was Heavenly Sword 2 :(

khalid-999 4 March, 2010 @ 8:13 pm   19

It’s from Zipper, surly it will be AMAZING. Thanks Sony, thanks Zipper <3

Shin-Ra 4 March, 2010 @ 8:13 pm   20

Looking very rich graphically. Very nice. Now to read the IGN preview:

ADMAN111 4 March, 2010 @ 8:14 pm   21

Thanks for ruining the secret GTTV was trying to hold. Good to see some people excited though.

x-MiL-x 4 March, 2010 @ 8:14 pm   22

Nice SONY ! <3

danielmccue 4 March, 2010 @ 8:14 pm   23

still hoping that the announcement on game trailers next thursday is jak and daxter 4 but this looks interesting do you guys have a release date yet will it be out the end of this year or begining of next?

Saber_IV 4 March, 2010 @ 8:15 pm   24

512 players this time? :)

JK. Good news. Love MAG! Probably will love this too.

imajinetion 4 March, 2010 @ 8:17 pm   25

Oh great, another military first person shooter. Haven’t seen those in 5 minutes.

Spurvugle 4 March, 2010 @ 8:17 pm   26

Was this the gt tv secret game? If so I am very disappointed :(

I want warhawk 2, killzone 3, or uncharted 3 not this….

mattkan 4 March, 2010 @ 8:18 pm   27

Ninja Theroy have said they wont be doing another first party game or indeed Heavenly Sword 2 considering they have a game out on the horizon. That game looks good too, nice to see Serkis in the team again.

boffin92 4 March, 2010 @ 8:19 pm   28

Sounds great, I just hope that it’s better than Confrontation; and that zipper don’t take much from Slant Six with that.

Conforntation was buggy, had awful controls and looked dreadful. And the over the shoulder cam just doesn’t suit socom imo.

Take it back to its roots in Socom 1, night time rain forests and the like, such a good game.

electroshockwave 4 March, 2010 @ 8:19 pm   29

Will there be co-op in the campaign? That’s what really interests me about a SOCOM game for PS3 as I never took my PS2 online.

Rama26285 4 March, 2010 @ 8:20 pm   30

Cool :) I’ve never gotten into Socom before and the previous one being online-only wasn’t the best way to get into things. This is certainly on my radar now! Cool surprise, I don’t think anyone was expecting this!!

boffin92 4 March, 2010 @ 8:20 pm   31

imajenetion…

Socom is a third person game.

DANTE234 4 March, 2010 @ 8:21 pm   32

This sounds good, if it’s in early stages then it won’t be out till next year, glad there is a single player mode as well as online play and glad zipper are doing socom again, i never played a socom game before but this new one sounds good

WOOOOOHOOOOO!

KC-alpha-14 4 March, 2010 @ 8:23 pm   34

Grrr,,, Zipper stop trying to multitask.. Focus on MAG first.. Not happy about this announcement.

Sound great, but I’m confused about the singleplayer part. It would be awesome if there was five player co-op for this game. A game like this would work just great in that way.

Besides, it would be a whole lot better than with crooked AI (or lack of AI in the first place) which most games still suffer from. But hey, that’s just me.

Images are looking good though. :)

AuRoN89 4 March, 2010 @ 8:29 pm   36

And PLEASE stop release CGI TRAILER/SCREENSHOTS

Both Socom C, and MAG first screens WERE CGI!

PS3 can reach CGI graphics easily! DO IT!

Another FPS, i’m sick of it

betahoven 4 March, 2010 @ 8:31 pm   38

Cool for SOCOM fans I suppose. But I think you’ve made plenty of shooters for PS3 now, could maybe try doing some more RPGs and adventure games? :D

Rijckaert 4 March, 2010 @ 8:31 pm   39

Not what I expected…..

DNAtlantic 4 March, 2010 @ 8:33 pm   40

This is sounding quite good! I’ve never played socom before so this might be my 1st try! Looking forward to seeing more of the game!

Another FPS…..Stop making them. We’re all sick of them..

Make it look like Killzone 2 ;P

Spurvugle 4 March, 2010 @ 8:35 pm   43

This is lame sony -_-

ok it’s a TPS, but always the same thing with war etc. I’m so disapointed

And will this pass through the fire of the US Playstation forum without being utterly ruined? Doubtful.

Seriously, why is Sony releasing all these shooters that are supposed to be deep and squad-based – and then dropping the entire thing after launch. They’ve done this twice now already.

Too much waffling about, Sony.

CinderShadow 4 March, 2010 @ 8:38 pm   46

I’m not bowled over by this news. It is odd to see this announced so soon after MAG has been released. There are so many more games I’d have preferred to have seen announced, than this. I also wonder where the audience is for it, which almost inevitably brings MAG up once, again.
There needs to be a community supporting any online game, but there are already three alternative shooters that have attracted support.

Maybe this one’s just not on my radar, and all about are these dedicated pockets of staunch supporters, who’ll jump at the mention of the original developer, and the Socom name being united once again? For these players, I will hope it turns out well.

DNAtlantic 4 March, 2010 @ 8:38 pm   47

@ Chas19 It’s Not a FPS…

wow ANOTHER fps really sony , mag is just out and less than 2 months later another fps gets announced what a sever disapointment , use cash to make ne rpgs or something else fps are gettn milked waaaaay too much now its pathetic

MOONDOG-R-I-P 4 March, 2010 @ 8:39 pm   49

screenshots look great
please let the single player have co-op it will be epic
and glad to hear zipper are the devs this time around thats not to say /6 did a bad job but socom confrontation didnt seem to have the full socom feel if you know what i mean…

DNAtlantic 4 March, 2010 @ 8:41 pm   50

@ seany1 SOCOM isn’t a FPS…

Load all