Posted 3:21pm

Digital Comics Store Update (25th March 2010)

Happy Thursday everybody! This week sees the first comics from our newest publisher Markosia and a ton of audio commentary goodness from IDW

This weeks highlights

First up Markosia are offering a free comic in the form of Kong: King of Skull Island. What happened after the Kong’s fall from the Empire State Building? Where did the body go? What happened to Carl Denham? What is Kong’s relevance to the mysterious Skull Island? Where did the wall come from and what is it there for? All these questions and more are answered in this prequel/sequel based on the book by Joe DeVito

Blog240410

Markosia also release The Dark. Set in the city of Dante, and the world of Memetech. As a wave of drugs that create living stories sweeps his city, one man fights back as “The Dark”. A vigilante who wields fiction as a weapon, he is the last hope for a city where nothing is what it seems. A stunning new sci-fi thriller that will have you begging for more!

From IDW we have the first issue of The Ghoul written and created by Steve Niles (30 Days of Night), with art by the legendary Bernie Wrightson (Swamp Thing). This comic features audio commentary by Steve Niles.

Locke & Key continues to get better and better with the start of a new story arc Crown of Shadows. This comic has the best audio commentary I’ve heard so far, featuring the author Joe Hill, the artist Gabriel Rodriguez and the editor Chris Ryall. Truly insightful, don’t miss it!

Finally we start a new series – Transformers Movie Sequel: The Reign of Starscream and guess what? This comic also features audio commentary from the writer, inker and colourist. A must for all Transformers fans.

A massive thank you to IDW  for continuing to explore and support the audio commentary feature. If you’ve not experienced it yet, just buy one of these issues and look for the extras tab on the summary screen. Navigate to it and hit X to launch the comic with the commentary enabled.

Here’s the complete list:

• Kong: King of Skull Island (FREE!) Markosia 12+
  • Locke & Key: Crown of Shadows #1 (with audio commentary) IDW 17+
  • Miss Quackfaster and the Ill-Fated Infatuation Disney 3+
  • We Kill Monsters #3 Red 5 Comics 12+
  • Star Trek: Nero #4 IDW 9+
  • Superduck #9: Great Hopes Disney 3+
  • Transformers Movie Sequel: The Reign of Starscream #1 (with audio commentary) IDW 9+
  • The X-Men (1963) #11-#15 Marvel 3+

To see the prices in your currency please visit www.playstationcomics.com

See you next week…

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

26 Comments 15 Author replies
Show oldest first

Silent_Gig 25 March, 2010 @ 3:24 pm   1

Still nothing about DC?
Ive been wating for ages for this, nothing on the store interests me unless its DC :/

Pete Stott 25 March, 2010 @ 3:38 pm

Hi Silent_Gig. Nothing yet, but don’t give up hope! In the meantime why not try some of the free comics?

Nuschel01 25 March, 2010 @ 3:25 pm   2

when the comics come to german-language-contry?

Ok.

I get the country codes for Australia (=AU), New Zealand (=NZ), Great Britain (=GB) and Ireland (=IE)…

But AE? Does Arabic Emirates get this before Scandinavia? Or the rest of Europe for that matter?

What gives?!

Pete Stott 25 March, 2010 @ 3:40 pm

I think that is a mistake, to my knowledge AE don’t have the service. South Africa is the missing country.

TheDarkChaplain 25 March, 2010 @ 3:30 pm   4

Still nothing about Manga-Content?
Highly disappointing..
Seems like I’m going to have that useless Comic-Icon on my PSP-Menu annoy me for the rest of my life *sigh*

Pete Stott 25 March, 2010 @ 3:41 pm

Well we should have our first Manga on the store in the coming weeks :-)

when is this coming to Canada?
when are the movie downloads coming to Canada?
it only does everything…
please stop those adds.
it doesn’t do everything, not in Canada at least!!

Pete Stott 25 March, 2010 @ 3:43 pm

It’s frustrating I know. We also want your Canadian dollars ;-) Unfortunately it’s out of this team’s control.

Dringleberry 25 March, 2010 @ 3:43 pm   6

Any chance that those with us that imported out PSP from Japan before it came out in the UK will be able to access the UK Comic Reader app? It’s almost making me cry everytime I see a store update!

Pete Stott 25 March, 2010 @ 3:47 pm

I wouldn’t rule it out, but it’ll be fairly long wait if it does happen. Sorry.

belmont_gr 25 March, 2010 @ 3:43 pm   7

Any news about the service coming in Greece?

The Dark sounds very interesting, will certainly be getting the first one.

Just out of curiosity, how many more Locke and Key issues are there left before we’ve caught up with print?

Pete Stott 25 March, 2010 @ 3:52 pm

Hi Zoibie, I believe there are two more issues until we’ve caught up with the print run. Just realised that may mean we have to wait for more than a week between issues! Damn.

Definitely check out the Dark.

That makes more sense (well not really ;))

But maybe change the contries tag i the blogpost then :)

Further on, whats the “a few months”-hold-up for the rest of us mortals?

Pete Stott 25 March, 2010 @ 3:56 pm

I’ll drop Jem a line to see if he can fix it.

Hold up reasons – I’m not 100% certain myself.

Nuschel01 25 March, 2010 @ 3:45 pm   10

Are these comics for free or are they must-pay?

And are there +18 Comics,too? :D

Pete Stott 25 March, 2010 @ 3:59 pm

Some are free but the majority have to be paid for(from about €0.99). Yes there are plenty of +18 comics, but I’m not sure what you may be insinuating…

acridweasel 25 March, 2010 @ 3:58 pm   11

Hi Pete, any word on the Giant Sized X-Men #1 issue that completes the Joss Whedon run of Astonishing X-Men?
The series is imcomplete without it…

Pete Stott 25 March, 2010 @ 4:00 pm

Hi again, nothing yet. We have raised it with Marvel, ultimately it will be up to them to provide it. I hope they do.

Haha, just looked on Ben’s website to see when there would be more Wormwood…

sowasred2012 25 March, 2010 @ 5:10 pm   13

Haven’t been following the blog for a little while so apologies if you’ve answered this already:

Are there plans to introduce a single fee for collections of issues? I always preferred picking up TPB’s than single issues (gave me something to sink my teeth into rather than waiting two or three weeks for the next issue in a series).

Shadowdragoon 25 March, 2010 @ 6:17 pm   14

Gah. sorry for geting in late, ;)
Any news for us poor non UK people? id really like to get reading soon. or atleast any chance of a gifting option crossregion?

or atleast some new aditions to the freebie section. Id like something new wile waiting. ;)

HazelAM 25 March, 2010 @ 6:27 pm   15

oooh, new publishers, cool.
once again, ps3 version please :)
the dark mist book looks interesting, might have to check that out.
great news that we’ll be getting some manga, no hints about the title i suppose? ;)
i’m going to have to get a new store card soon :(

Ravenblade86 25 March, 2010 @ 7:09 pm   16

It’s Thursday already???? Damnit! I now have a comic backlog then as I haven;t got to read last weeks yet :(

Looks like a fantastic update though with more Cancertown which is a must read in my opinion, plus loads more great content from IDW and new stuff to check out from Markosia.

Perhaps I’ll read them when I’m sitting up to watch the Formula 1 this weekend :)

djreplay 25 March, 2010 @ 7:42 pm   17

When or is this coming to PS3?

Carnivius_Prime 25 March, 2010 @ 9:58 pm   18

I might make my first purchase today then for Reign of Starscream. I have the actual real issues from a while back but I’m curious about the commentary.

Pete,

Are we going to see “Friendly Neighbourhood” Spidey?
Reading “One More Day” was extreamly confusing as “Amazing” only had chapters #1 and #4!! I got #3 from “Sensational” but what happened in #2.

More Spidey. More Spidey. More Spidey. More Spidey. More Spidey. More Spidey. More Spidey. More Spidey. More Spidey. More Spidey.
:-)

Suzzopher 26 March, 2010 @ 7:29 am   20

America got a Batman Arkham Asylum Digital Comic for free, do we not get it?

taurus82 26 March, 2010 @ 9:30 am   21

If this service was announced for PS3, we would see the likes of DC, Vertigo, Image Comics etc.

HazelAM 26 March, 2010 @ 9:54 am   22

where’d you hear about the batman comic suzzopher? because i checked the us blog and couldn’t find any information on any batman book, and believe me i’d be the first to complain if i knew about any content we weren’t getting.
anyway, a comment on the us blog got me wondering, will there be any kind of free comic book day freebies this year?
i notice some of the free comics we’ve already got carry the free comic book day logo, obviously from previous years, anything planned for this year, they are a great way to get people interested in new series, many publishers produce special issues of some of their titles just for free comic book day.

Pete Stott 26 March, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

Hi HazelAM, I’m not sure if any of the publishers will be putting forward any comics for free comic book day. Although I’d be surprised if they don’t. I’ll look in to it!

HazelAM 26 March, 2010 @ 9:55 am   23

oops, forgot to post the link.

smokeypsd 26 March, 2010 @ 2:05 pm   24

I greatly 2nd the thank you to IDW. it’s a tremendous use of the store, and defiantely unique to getting comics in this way

Shadowdragoon 26 March, 2010 @ 10:43 pm   25

Didnt spot any Batman comics under the free section on the US store, they do have a GI JOE for free that UK dont tough… ;)

oh. and another PS3 reader vote.. ;)

FBZ1501 28 March, 2010 @ 6:35 am   26