Posted 22 April

Digital Comics Store Update (22nd April 2010)

Another week, another bumper crop of digital comics. Let’s see what we have in store

Digital Comics

I can see from last week’s sales figures that a huge number of you downloaded Icon’s Kick Ass . Well this week Icon release another classic – Brian Michael Bendis’ Eisner Award winning “Powers”. Heroes glide through the sky on lightning bolts and fire. Flamboyant villains attempt daring daylight robberies. God-like alien creatures clash in epic battle over the night-time sky. And on the dirty city streets below, homicide detectives Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim investigate the murders of the world’s most powerful and popular POWERS.

From IDW we see the start of a new series “Dead, She Said”. Written by Steve Niles and drawn by industry legend Bernie Wrightson, the series follows Detective Coogan who wakes up dead one morning and then sets out to find his murderer. This comic comes with insightful audio commentary from Mr Niles. Also from IDW we have a new Transformers series – Nefarious , a new issue of staff favourite Locke & Key and issue one of Kill Shakespeare.

Archie Comics bring us the legendary Sonic the Hedgehog. Follow Sonic’s adventures as he tries to foil Dr Robotnik’s evil plans. I know that at least ESPGANESAIII will be happy with this news!

Finally check out the Digital Comics blog for more info on Disney’s Earth Day green comics and Markosia’s Ritual & Lexian Chronicles.

Here’s the list:

• The Mystery of the Black Pond Disney 3+
  • The Strange Case of Doctor Duckell and Mister Duckhyde Disney 3+
  • Transformers: Movie Sequel: The Reign of Starscream #5 IDW 9+
  • Transformers: Nefarious #1 IDW 9+
  • Ultraheroes #4: Dream and Reality Disney 3+
  • Vampire Hunter D Volume 1: Chapter #3 IDW 17+

Prices in your currency can be found on www.playstationcomics.com

Volcano Gods willing, I’ll be on holiday for the next couple of weeks, so take it easy and you’ll hear from me when I get back.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

23 Comments 13 Author replies
Show oldest first

Shadowdragoon 22 April, 2010 @ 2:01 pm   1

So any news for Norway/Rest of EU? Gifting otpion? and PS3 reader? ;)

imajinetion 22 April, 2010 @ 2:03 pm   2

Obligatory “request for this service in my country”-post.

Pete Stott 22 April, 2010 @ 2:45 pm

Obligatory “we have no news yet, but we are trying and will let you know when we have some more info” reply

INS1GHTFUL 22 April, 2010 @ 2:21 pm   3

no marvel this week?

any word on getting the last part to Astonishing x-men?

Thanks

Udon Comics please.

ninja_tom 22 April, 2010 @ 2:39 pm   5

Decent update! Any news on more manga titles being added to the store?

Is there any chance of a PS3 reader? I have to admit that I love the Locke & Key series :)

ESPGANESAIII 22 April, 2010 @ 3:02 pm   7

Wooo Wooo

Pete delivers – APPROVED!!!!

Sonic and the usual Vamp D for me

Top stuff

BlueFlameSkulls 22 April, 2010 @ 3:14 pm   8

No X-men again?

Also tell DC comics that just because they prefer their fans to actually pick up a comic doesn’t mean they can’t provide a digital version. Do they dislike money?

ninja_tom 22 April, 2010 @ 3:43 pm   9

Any chance of being able to rotate the page to read it in landscape? And a PS3 reader ;)

Pete Stott 22 April, 2010 @ 4:11 pm

maybe, although the AutoFlow wouldn’t work in portrait. You’d have to use the manual controls. Still interested? (also not really applicable for a PS3 version unless turn your TV on its side)

ninja_tom 22 April, 2010 @ 3:44 pm   10

portrait sorry^

King_Zombie 22 April, 2010 @ 3:57 pm   11

Any chance of dark Horse’s Buffy season 8 coming to the store? Just recently got a psp, mainly for my comic needs!

Pete Stott 22 April, 2010 @ 4:11 pm

We’d love for Dark Horse to be on the service, but alas they are not. Hopefully they will be one day.

Toy_brain 22 April, 2010 @ 4:30 pm   12

“I can see from last week’s sales figures that a huge number of you downloaded Icon’s Kick Ass.”

No surprise there, and I was one of them :D

Mind you, this got me to thinking “just what is a ‘huge number’ for the PSN comics store?” and “how do these numbers compare with other digital comics services?”.
Questions that I know will never be answered properly, as detailed sales figures are not for us plebs to know. Still I can’t help but wonder…..
Anyway, perhaps you should take this ‘huge number’ and waft it in front of DC’s face a few times. Might motivate them to get a move on :P

Pete Stott 22 April, 2010 @ 4:50 pm

I think you answered your own question there. But yes the numbers surprised me. I think this will be the year Digital Comics (as a whole) takes off in a big way.

callmejon 22 April, 2010 @ 4:33 pm   13

I would love it if you could give us digital comics for the PS3! I use comicrack on my computer but would love to have some sweet comic goodness on my tv!

sazzrah 22 April, 2010 @ 4:52 pm   14

It would be amazing if you could get more of the manga companies on side; Tokyopop, Del-Rey and ADV for example – then I would definitely be a regular customer!

I love manga, but don’t buy them too often because of the ridiculous amount of shelf space needed.

“Dead, She Said” sounds quite interesting, will definitely give that a try, really liked Aliester Arcane

Also, I haven’t seen Kick-Ass yet, is the comic the same story? Will it spoil the movie?

Pete Stott 22 April, 2010 @ 5:01 pm

…or will the movie spoil the comic? I’ve not seen it yet so I couldn’t tell you. Anyone know?

dan1com5 22 April, 2010 @ 6:25 pm   16

Out of curiosity is there any plans for Top Cow to add some comics. I’d love some Darkness or Witchblade

Ravenblade86 22 April, 2010 @ 6:35 pm   17

Hadn’t even noticed that the update had no Marvel titles in it this week! That just how strong the lineup is from the other publishers I think.

Will the comic store update be changing what day each week it gets published on? Or will it be sticking to Thursdays?

Have a good time on your holiday Pete, hopefully the volcano delays will have cleared up.

Pete Stott 23 April, 2010 @ 11:00 am

hey Ravenblade86, yes the comic store updates will on a Wednesday from the 5th May. Thanks for the holiday wishes, trying to sort out who will take over Twitter and the blog in my absence.

S-Cript 22 April, 2010 @ 7:25 pm   18

why it is possible for me to go the the store at the end of the street and buy any comic i want within 5days after release on the other side of the world
but impossible for sony to release the same functionallity ?

why do we,the ones who pay the salary of sony,get fed with the “don’t know,but when we do we tell you”-remarks,while every decent company has a project/releasplan from A-Z
but sony however lets local subsidaries decide if they think there is a need for it…
Play tv e.g not released in the benelux,
not because there are no free2air-channels,but because management of the SGameConsoleE-Benelux (since computer is gone with the mandatory update) felt there was no need for it….

if M$,nintendo can release worldwide,why is it since day 1 of the playstation group that this part of the world is being treated like sh.t

Alyndri 22 April, 2010 @ 8:41 pm   19

Yay Sonic finally!! Thanks Pete!

Please make this come to sweden too and videostore and firstplay.

BryOnRye 22 April, 2010 @ 11:24 pm   21

Last week it was advertised that Slaine: Book of Invasions #2 was available but it’s not on the store yet. Will it be available any time soon?

Cheers

Pete Stott 23 April, 2010 @ 10:56 am

Yes, sorry about that. We discovered an error and took the comic off the store. It’ll be up again soon. Anyone who already purchased it will be able to delete the comic and redownload it.

GahLakTus 23 April, 2010 @ 7:24 pm   22

no idea if you’ll still read or reply to this but here it goes.
any chance we could get some of the nightmare on elm street,friday 13th comics on the store?

possibly the army of darkness comic series? if its insanley popular?

or how bout the new ghostbusters comic series?

or some spawn?

im not greedy….belive me…if i was the list would be longer ;)

axinthevoid 10 May, 2010 @ 5:52 am   23

Any possibility of Udon Comics on the Digital Comics Store? I would like to read own some Capcom Comics on the PSP.