Posted 1:05am

PS3 3.30 System Software Update

Hi everyone, in our continued effort to provide the best, most comprehensive entertainment experience possible, we’ll be adding a few new features to PlayStation 3 (PS3) via the latest system software update, which is a mandatory update and will be available shortly. Most notably, you’ll see some new sorting options within Trophies that make it easier to claim bragging rights among your friends on PlayStation Network.

• Trophy enhancements –- Now you can more easily sort trophies in the [Trophy Collection] and [Comparing Trophy] sections. Sorting can be done with [Trophy Collection] in the [Game Category] and also when comparing trophies with your friends in the [Friend Category]
    • Trophy Folder (Title List) can be sorted by game name/ by title according to the date in which you earned your last trophy (ascending/descending)
    • Add-on list (Group list) can be sorted by original/the date in which you earned your last trophy (ascending/descending)
    • Trophy list can be sorted by original/trophy name/grade/date of obtaining the trophy (ascending/descending)

In addition, this update preps the PS3 system for some upcoming new features, including 3D stereoscopic gaming, which is coming soon to PS3, in time for the launch of Sony’s 3D BRAVIA TVs.

Let us know your thoughts and as always, we look forward to your feedback.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

245 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Some nice new trophy features there. Still not sold on 3D though, maybe when the TVs get a LOT cheaper.

moriarty1975 22 April, 2010 @ 1:10 am   2

Nice!

Sweet but still no cross game chat ??????????

CRASHBASHUK 22 April, 2010 @ 1:14 am   4

some1 working late ;)

Bloody_Marcel 22 April, 2010 @ 1:19 am   5

That’s cool and all but… is that it?

Battery-Acid- 22 April, 2010 @ 1:21 am   6

These silly little pictures have taken control of my life…

Silent_Gig 22 April, 2010 @ 1:32 am   7

What time would this be appearing?

Bloody_Marcel 22 April, 2010 @ 1:33 am   8

About 3 hrs from now, if it’s happening today.

waypoetic 22 April, 2010 @ 1:35 am   9

That is all! Yeah… What’s up with the trophy support? I mean, i don’t really see the demand (atleast not from me) from my fellow gamers. Check the NeoGaf thread about this new update and the appreciation is… Not there. We wan’t cross game chat (now i’m on the g’damn bandwagon about this too!) and some of us want a new XMB UI. Thanks

smokeypsd 22 April, 2010 @ 1:36 am   10

Come on. You took away 1 of my computers which I used, you REALLY have to come up with the goods to make amends…

Greater video codec support
Lossloss formats natively compatible
Crossgame Voice Chat
More versatile, powerful browser

These are just a few things off the bat, which should’ve been coming out before, but now ARE GREATLY needed due to u taking away linux. You need to reimburse, come on, where’s the goods sony? And cheers once again for making me need to find extra money which I don’t have for another computer, the situation was fine with my gf and me using the laptop and the ps3 for uni at the sametime.

mattshill 22 April, 2010 @ 1:38 am   11

It’s nice to to see that the SCEA public suggestions have been taken seriously as I know this was one of the things mentioned.

Any chance It will let you delete trophies? As one of my flatmates got 30 trophies on my account I want to delete because it annoys me that I didn’t earn them.

GuttermouthSIN 22 April, 2010 @ 1:40 am   12

Awesome! Oh, wait, I meant ‘meh.’

If we’re not getting cross-game chat anytime soon, can we at least get voice messages? Even the Wii has that feature for crying out loud.

Musoka_Eimin 22 April, 2010 @ 1:42 am   13

You had people download an update to kill otherOS when you knew this was coming out within weeks? For shame guys, you know that the more times you make people update the more chances there are for unit failure. If you think I’m letting go otherOS, I am not. I will be back here anytime its even remotely relevant. I paid for it, you took it, putting aside your fancy legal talk, anyone would see what you have done as theft plain and simple. If I am just LEASING my console and you have the right to remove stuff from it then I believe you should also have the responsibility to maintain and service all of these millions of consoles don’t you? Isn’t that how leasing things works? I have a house full of Sony equipment, rest assured there are other brands that I can and will choose from for my household electronics. New feature update your PS3 every couple of weeks so it bricks faster! Awesome!

niall077 22 April, 2010 @ 1:42 am   14

you think the guys at sony would have combined this and the last Linux killing FW update into one update since they came only a mmonth apart ….. another 30 minutes of downloading and installing it is then.

Guillemots 22 April, 2010 @ 1:42 am   15

Nice!
Thanks, update always welcome :)

mew_frenger 22 April, 2010 @ 1:43 am   16

nice features. its free and cant be anything other than thankfull
but i still whish that u would redo the xmb.. u clearly dont hire the guy who made the xmb when u do updates. comapring trophies, the PSN profile and whats new looks like some ugly windows95 stuff. look at apps and games on the PS3 or other sony devices, the ps3 pales in comparison.

Hello,

I sure am glad to hear that trophy divisions between original and DLCs’ trophies are finally inbound. All that is left regarding the trophy system is the introduction of PSP trophies :)

Will Sony ever give us the ability to change our Playstation Network ID ? I would definitely pay a fee to have my ID changed.

Cordially,

aat08

Alyndri 22 April, 2010 @ 1:50 am   18

Any new facebook functionality on it’s way? I’m liking the FB compatibility.

randellaUK 22 April, 2010 @ 1:56 am   19

Hopefully some more additions than just this fingers crossed any ETA on this ???

vonhammer 22 April, 2010 @ 1:56 am   20

I guess nothing for me really.

Needs a new browser,flash 10 for youtube,cross chat for those that want it and i’ll never really need another update.

II-KiLLER-ll 22 April, 2010 @ 2:05 am   21

This is all great and all, But where the big updates that everyone has been waiting for, e.g; Cross Game Chat?

CheapestGamer 22 April, 2010 @ 2:11 am   22

As usual, Sony focuses all of the attention on adding crap that I don’t want but I have to install this piece of garbage update unless I wanna be barred from PSN.

Last gen, it was all about your own personal feeling of accomplishment from completing games, yet this gen people need to e-brag about how little of a life they have via trophies/achievements.

Add PS2 BC via firmware update, add back in the other OS function for those with older PS3s and shove the garbage where the sun don’t shine, Sony.

PS3. It only does whatever we only want it to, unless we feel you no longer need it, so we’ll remove it ‘for your benefit’. What a crock.

DaftMav 22 April, 2010 @ 2:11 am   23

Nice, finally some basic sorting options. But when will there finally be a trophies API? At least for third party websites like PlayStation communities. When will we be able to share our statistics on our favorite game tracking websites like the way it’s been possible for a long time now with “that other console”? Sony’s actions so far have only made it more difficult for these communities to provide leaderboards and trophy portals.

DaftMav 22 April, 2010 @ 2:18 am   24

Yay for bad linkwrapping, here’s a short url: http://bit.ly/d9hn8d

Deathcloak 22 April, 2010 @ 2:18 am   25

The trophy sorting is sweet!! Can’t wait!

GuttermouthSIN 22 April, 2010 @ 2:18 am   26

@23: Yeah, I’d love to be able to have stuuf tracked on Raptr. Seems stupid that Sony is so stingy when it comes to stuff like that.

DaftMav 22 April, 2010 @ 2:21 am   27

Apologies, that was the wrong short url (it’s late -_-). This one goes to the share.blog.us.playstation site: http://bit.ly/a2caGv

it only does useless updates

you guys really need to give some fresh minds a crack at the firmware updates, now i’m getting the 10 year life cycle bit

Devilater 22 April, 2010 @ 2:33 am   30

Thanks!

WillyKYU 22 April, 2010 @ 2:34 am   31

Is this a joke? At least be honest, this update was exclusively to bring 3D options to match 3D tvs release. I’m tottaly ok with that. But bringing some Trophies sorting to say “hey we added some real features this time, you see!” is useless at the moment.
There are NUMEROUS things PS3 Players and users are asking for ages now (on PSP too BTW), and XMB options should at least have 100 new features by category in an hypothetical 4.0 firmware!!!!
Speaking of managing, our HDDs are full of content, videos games, etc. We want more to customize our XMB, even APPs to browse some specific content, we want more video codecs, we want PSP video transcoding, we want total control in multimedia part!!!! we want a more unified PSN, where everything is smooth and quick! we want auto updates for games, firmwares and installs! we want a complete PSN control on the net, we want remote play for DVD and Blu-Rays!!! Youtube App!!!
XMB is the best browsing method ever created but it HAS to be ENHANCED from its limitations now!

YellowMegaMan 22 April, 2010 @ 2:48 am   32

Cool new trophy features!

Now, how about a nice cheap/free dev kit to appease those of us who used to be able to dabble in Cell programming? And an Indie section in the PSN store!

Rob_Alpha 22 April, 2010 @ 3:00 am   33

Why is my comment awaiting moderation? o.O

I know you guys can do wayy better than just a few trophies ,, Common, give me the good stuff already, you know what im talkin about!

garyse75 22 April, 2010 @ 3:14 am   35

whatever happened to the trophy room for playstation home that displays trophies. they showed it in a trailer for ps home before home came out.

moriarty1975 22 April, 2010 @ 3:16 am   36

Its live now.

MAN3282 22 April, 2010 @ 3:17 am   37

hmmm
ty

randellaUK 22 April, 2010 @ 3:25 am   38

Anybody spot anything new as i dont

ieatpixels 22 April, 2010 @ 3:54 am   39

eh, I’m not too excited about this firmware update.
I liked having my trophies timeless, I could earn them slowly over months and at a glance it looks more impressive.

plus having not earned trophies within a certain time makes IMO makes them seem imperfect.

I don’t know why anyone would want to search/view them by name aswell.

curiousecat 22 April, 2010 @ 4:19 am   40

Yeah, Now what are you taking from us..I am not updating..I want to know what it is taking, I don’t want a broken console. and 3D TV has been proven to be a Health Risk as well

Even the News is stating not to use it continually and that is here in the Americas!

I don’t use trophies any ways.

HEROS08 22 April, 2010 @ 4:24 am   41

Did anyone check psn store after the update in aus because now i have a video tap next to game in da playstation store?????

Blackxino 22 April, 2010 @ 4:29 am   42

I want my money back for removing the Other O.S!

I’m a poor person and can’t afford games all the damn time. And I had to shell a lot of my money (including food money) just to get an early FAT Ps3! Now you took away a feature I paid for without compensation.

This update sucks…who gives a damn about trophies!?
People play games for fun or for trophies!?

jmichell 22 April, 2010 @ 4:33 am   43

im am so sick of the updates all the time.. there should be one like… MAYBE every 6 months.. not like.. 2 weeks.. its so sik.. nothing really changes. i go to play cod. and so system update.. whatever.

DEKOWOLF 22 April, 2010 @ 4:44 am   44

Sorry, but I don’t buy it…

With all due respect, but this featured could (and should) have been launched much earlier.

I feel there’s more to it than just trophies and 3D TV coming…

orionX65 22 April, 2010 @ 5:00 am   45

Well atleast i’ll have more use of this trophy sorting system than the useless cross game chat (when i want to talk to my friends i sure as hell won’t do it when we are playing different games, that’s just immersion breaking) that everyone keeps whining about in every update.

But even so sorting wasn’t really the issue with trophies :/ It’s the outdated synchronizing system, clunky interface and a simple thing like not going to the trophy you just earned when pressing PS button when it unlocks.

GuttermouthSIN 22 April, 2010 @ 5:19 am   46

“Hi everyone, in our continued effort to provide the best, most comprehensive entertainment experience possible, we’ll be adding a few new features”

Haha. Yeah, this update certainly blows my mind from an entertainment perspective.

MonkD13 22 April, 2010 @ 5:42 am   47

wow ANOTHER crap update i WONT have use 4.

COME ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

U really r only doing this 2 flog your 3D tv’s arnt u……. & starting of by telling us th crappy NEW trophy enchancements.

STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID UPGRADES, GIVE US SOMETHING WE CAN USE WE PAYED BIG BUCKS 4 THIS BLACK PAPER WEIGHT

S-Cript 22 April, 2010 @ 5:49 am   48

is comprehensive the meaning of the letter C in SCE??

from 3.15 to 3.21. to 3.30 within 21 days.
what was/is in the in between updates
and who manages this planning
with what firmware release,will the EU be able to buy movies,comics and the rest which is commonly used by the rest of the world in
this S Comprehensive Entertainment system
because the UK,german,france has it, the remaining millions of EU citizens are still waiting.
belgium has the HQ for the EU
Hollands got the UN war tribunal
Germany got nothing
UK got nothing
France got straszburg

on what grounds does these 3 countries get better support than the remaining countries?

Still a shame we can’t disable the “trophy unlocked” notification.

OtherOS, Video Codecs, ???

Meh..