Posted 12:01pm

Toy Story 3: The Video Game Revealed For PS3

Disney has an exciting announcement to make today regarding Toy Story 3. Not only will the PS3 version exclusively feature the ability to play as Zurg, but it will also include some PlayStation Move minigames. Here’s John Day from Avalanche Software to give you some more info on this game, which will be releasing alongside the movie this Summer.

Hi everybody! This is John at Avalanche Software. We’re hard at work finishing up Toy Story 3: The Video Game, due for release on 16th July. Toy Story 3 is much more than your average movie tie-in game. The game gives players two ways to experience Toy Story 3: Story Mode and Toy Box Mode, a sandbox style of gameplay set in the Toy Story universe.

In Story Mode, the player plays as Buzz, Woody, and Jessie, each with their own unique play style, to play through eight action platforming levels. While not a complete retelling of the movie plot, the player will visit some of the places, and meet some of the new and classic characters that are in the film. We take the player to some totally new places as well. Also in Story Mode, we’ve stashed all of our collectibles. The collectibles, when found, allow the player to unlock new toys for the Toy Box.

Toy Story 3: The Video Game for PS3

Toy Story 3: The Video Game for PS3Toy Story 3: The Video Game for PS3

The Toy Box is a totally different experience from Story Mode. Here we put the player in an open, non-linear environment and allow them to play with Andy’s toys any way they like. The player is free to complete missions for different characters, customize the people and buildings, race in various vehicles, and much more. The more adventurous and creative you are, the more you will get rewarded. I encourage you to unleash your imagination in this mode of the game.

Toy Story 3: The Video Game for PS3

Toy Story 3: The Video Game for PS3Toy Story 3: The Video Game for PS3

In the Toy Box, the player can play as Buzz, Woody, or Jessie. I am happy to announce that exclusively on the PlayStation 3, you can also play as Zurg! Zurg has many of his own unique missions. Whether it’s driving around in his own custom vehicle, or blasting everything in sight with his tri-gun, players can help Zurg achieve his singular goal of eliminating Buzz Lightyear, or just do whatever else they’d like. Check out our Zurg launch trailer and game screens for a taste of what you can do as this dastardly villain and don’t forget to watch out for Toy Story 3: The Video Game in-stores, 16th July!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

27 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
imajinetion 30 April, 2010 @ 12:05 pm   1

Oh great, when we finally do get in-game exclusivities, it’s on an uninteresting licensed game…

LittleBigPodcast 30 April, 2010 @ 12:05 pm   2

Mwahahahaha! Sweet stuff guys!

LittleBigPodcast 30 April, 2010 @ 12:07 pm   3

Wait, June 15th, Move content!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!

I just got Toy Story 1 & 2 on Blu-ray and they are amazing films. Can’t wait to get number 3 on Blu-ray :P
& the Game looks cool i think :)

I’m confused where in that interview does it mention Move? Have you just given us an exclusive scoop there Jem?

Clearly this is a deal to appeal to the Wii crowd – Move mini-games and exclusive charaters for a Disney movie tie-in!

Looks great! Is there any COOP for the main story?

If this game actually is good it will be a great sell whit PS MOVE! Well done SONY to get in game content exclusive to PS3. Keep it up but on AAA titles like Batman: AA 2, COD: Black ops (I wish) and other blockbuster games. That will make the PS3 version sell more!

Fantatier 30 April, 2010 @ 12:55 pm   8

looks as if it could be fun :)

Will there be a demo for this incredibly good looking game?

Agamer2006 30 April, 2010 @ 1:02 pm   10

If this is like toy story 3, it going to be great fun

makingdamage 30 April, 2010 @ 1:10 pm   11

Hm…The game is out June 15 and includes move-mini games. The move thingy is out sometime this autumn/winter. So if you buy the game you have to wait until the move thingy is released before you can play the mini games!?

adrianyoung 30 April, 2010 @ 1:24 pm   12

“I’m also excited to let you know that Toy Story 3: The Video Game will be compatible with PlayStation Move. It was cool working with Sony and this new technology to create downloadable mini-games designed specifically for this new motion controller. So, come Fall, there will be even more ways to play with Toy Story 3.”

This bit was on the US blog post, but not copied across to the EU one.

Thorpe89 30 April, 2010 @ 1:47 pm   13

Thought it was from the same studio who did Just Cause for a minute. :P

Anyway, on the topic of Disney, I would love for my PlayStation titles to come from them on PSN – especially Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour (developed by Crystal Dynamics), since I used to play that all the time as a kid but I can’t find it now. :(

THC_PRITCHARD 30 April, 2010 @ 1:56 pm   14

15 of july ????

is move out then ?

ghamdikh1 30 April, 2010 @ 2:58 pm   15

COOL

Falcon1991 30 April, 2010 @ 3:54 pm   16

I love the Toy Story films and I actually want this game. :p :)

xxPIETROxx 30 April, 2010 @ 4:11 pm   17

OMG I CANT WAIT!!!

DANNY3194 30 April, 2010 @ 4:30 pm   18

Well we all remember the Toy Story PS1 Game being fantastic! (One of my top ten best games ever) With the new Toy Box mode… FANTASTIC!!!

Day one purchase!!

DEKOWOLF 30 April, 2010 @ 5:18 pm   19

To infinity and behind! XD

I’ve been waiting for the movie, and now I must get the game!
A true classic, I refuse to start adult life until I see the movie and play this game!

Now I feel like playing Toy Story 2 for the original PlayStation.

DEKOWOLF 30 April, 2010 @ 5:19 pm   20

oh forgot to ask; will there be a demo available any time in the Store?
Would be great to tease our eyes before buy the game. ;)

PenguinGlen 30 April, 2010 @ 6:44 pm   21

Impressive. Finally, a movie game that isn’t just a blatant cash-in. Sandbox is a great idea and looks a lotta fun! (I’m 19 too, lol) :p Nice one on the Zurg exclusive as well and a good opportunity to utilise PlayStation Move. :)

funnydude6556 1 May, 2010 @ 12:06 am   22

It says it’s a PS3 exclusive, I’m assuming this is a misprint as why would sony make sure Toy Story 3 was an exclusive?

DEKOWOLF 1 May, 2010 @ 12:22 am   23

#22: it is a PS3 exclusive, there might be some spin offs, but this one, really is exclusive.

downfallen90 1 May, 2010 @ 1:44 am   24

YAY im so excited for this and the movie!
looking awesome!
How bout Toy Story 2 PS1 Classic on the Store to get us hyped plz?

funnydude6556 1 May, 2010 @ 10:06 pm   25

weird, hardly matters though. It’s just that on sites like wikipedia it’s put this as also being on the 360 and wii and then the Playstation Blog says it’s only only on PS3.

irononreverse 4 May, 2010 @ 11:38 am   26

Just saw a trailer on joystiq, it’s coming out on pretty much every console and handheld.

thenextbutton 7 May, 2010 @ 10:39 am   27

I do not normally go for these sort of games, movie spin off’s. However last night I went and pre-ordered it, I am looking forward to the release.