Posted 10:00am

PS3 + MUBI + YOU

Hello,

We are MUBI.

Who? What?

Ok, lets make this simple… Do you know who Kubrick is? What about Antonioni? David Lynch? Ring any bells?

It’s ok, don’t bother if you don’t…

But if you are still reading you are going to like this a lot.

Well, we are MUBI and we are basically transforming your PS3 console into your own online cinema. (You can still play games and all that, don’t worry!) We couldn’t resist the idea of everyone having their own exquisite film library—And that’s it in a nutshell.

MUBI

But lets get this straight, we are not just an online cinema and we are not just some tech and film geeks in California—well, some of us are, yes—but we are 300,000 friends talking, discovering, and sharing films with one another every day. In fact, every 2 minutes there’s someone joining us. Yes. 2 minutes. Sorry to get a bit geeky (we warned you!), but that’s 700 people joining each day. Not bad… but joining what?

MUBI

The truth is, we can’t even start explaining. But let’s try this: At the moment, some of us are at the Cannes Film Festival announcing a major collaboration with SCEE for PS3. So, soon, you will find a new application on your console, which will let you stream the best of international cinema from the comforts of your couch. This is not a simple virtual videostore; we emphasize quality over quantity. You’ll find undistributed festival gems ripe for your discovery, your favorite recent independent and art-house releases. Names like the Coen brothers, Godard, Kitano, Almodóvar, Tarantino, and Van Sant are some we’ll bring home to you.

Mubi - Jackie Brown

Palm d’Or winners and simply films we think should have won awards. But that’s not all. We’ll bring you exclusive online premieres, collaborations with international film festivals, and retrospectives of some of the best cinema the world has ever seen.

MUBI

And as we said, we love talking and sharing wonderful cinema too. Which makes MUBI like a small coffee shop, a place where you can gather and chat about alternative endings, directors’ cuts, or whatever those frogs in Magnolia meant.

Mubi - Magnolia

You can follow members and interact with them: This is Martin Scorsese’s profile for instance (he happens to be a member!). Anyway, you get the point. We’ve spent some time tying together an online cinema with a simple, engaging social network to help film lovers spread around the world connect over the movies they love best. And that is that. Welcome to MUBI.

MUBI

Do you know what Tati means? What about Jonze?

Mubi - RedBalloonMubi - NakedLunch

Enjoy,

The Mubi Team

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

171 Comments 17 Author replies
Show oldest first

Looks awesome. When can we expect this in Europe?

Jem Alexander 18 May, 2010 @ 11:02 am

Hey guys,

Efe will be around later to answer some questions. In the meantime I can clear up some of your more pressing queries.

Such as where Mubi will be available when it launches — UK, Ireland, France, Italy, Iberia, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Benelux, Nordic countries, Australia and New Zealand. More territories will be announced at a later date.

Andrefpvs 18 May, 2010 @ 10:08 am   2

Awesome! Anything from Manoel de Oliveira in there?

Will this be integrated into the XMB like VidZone?

Archonik 18 May, 2010 @ 10:08 am   3

That is AMAZING!! As a movie fan, I’m excited!

Any more info you can give is? Will it a subscription based service? Or ad supported? Streaming only or download operated?

Jem Alexander 18 May, 2010 @ 11:06 am

Mubi videos will be streamed and there’ll be a couple of payment methods. Either pay-per-video weekly rentals or an all-you-can-watch subscription service. There’ll also be some free videos to try out the service, too.

No word on exact pricing yet though.

Thats not only one have look at blinkbox and working on PS3 today, loads of movies and TV programs.

Thats good but when is PS3 browser really going support HD.

xKillerMonkeyx 18 May, 2010 @ 10:11 am   5

Looks awesome, guess it wont be available in spain though, should be considering most people speak english :-(

Munders12 18 May, 2010 @ 10:11 am   6

O_O cool!?

strangeplaice 18 May, 2010 @ 10:12 am   7

Not trying to be offensive but the only person I recognised in that whole clip was Hitler and tbh, that didn’t fill me with confidence. Also the link in the video gave me a 404. :|
My only question is, is this optionally added to the XMB like games or will it be sat there so we’re forced to download it like Home and Life With PlayStation so that we don’t have a bunch of dysfunctional icons?

(Sorry for the negativity. Maybe the point of this went over my head.)

generallegendary 18 May, 2010 @ 10:12 am   8

ah good to see its coming to australia, now all we need in australia is a kevin butler and we shall be set lol

Demadred 18 May, 2010 @ 10:13 am   9

AWESOME!… i think, not 100% sure what it is yet… a mix between social networking and movies focused on indie quality titles…?

No matter, i will check it out when it comes out… if it comes out in Norway (IT WILL COME OUT IN NORWAY RIGHT!?)
Best of luck to you guys

Nice!

VictorAnalogy 18 May, 2010 @ 10:18 am   11

Audition, Ghostdog, Withnail, Downfall, amazing films all…I need to read up on these Mubi fellows.

centrinoduo91 18 May, 2010 @ 10:21 am   12

this sounds brilliant. you’ve got my all excited :D

whats the pricing going to be like?
do you download the films or stream them?

btw, european poeple asking about other languages, if you look at the pictures, it shows multiple Subtitle options :)

can’t wait to see how this goes!

s_wrenn 18 May, 2010 @ 10:21 am   13

So this will be in all EU countries?

nicnemame 18 May, 2010 @ 10:23 am   14

And what about Czech Republic? It will be also supported?

Just gone thought list of 16 pages of movies. And not one of them interested me at all.

All in all, as it is now it looks like a load of rubbish and only has movies that people who like Cannes International Film Festival type of movies.

If that you cup of tea, alright but it is not for me.

SlipperyFella 18 May, 2010 @ 10:24 am   16

This is truly exciting and totally unexpected so thankyou! It is so disheartening that the only films available to watch on the PS3 are the latest mainstream releases and blockbusters that I usually don’t give a damn about, but now we have some decent films coming our way, hurraaaah! :D

From the Tags, it suggests that it will be in all English speaking countries? :(

In case it needs restating: a lot of people speak English even if they don’t live in English speaking countries! Give us the Digital Comics already (oh wait – too late, I can do it on my iPhone now already so I don’t need it anymore on PSP … ), and give us the PSN movie service already … grrr.

If want to know if Mubi in your area. Then send your browser to.

Eu date?

I reckon this may be part of the premium service.

CartBlanche 18 May, 2010 @ 10:30 am   21

I’m also a huge film fan, particularly of indie films, and I’m very excited by the possibility.

IGriffoI 18 May, 2010 @ 10:31 am   22

I love pretty much all of the films featured in the clip. So if that’s anything to go by, this should be great.

But, with a post with this amount of writing, the fact that there is little-to-no information in it is nothing other than… impressive.

Where’s – like – all the information? Don’t make me ask every question.

Is it free? (I’m doubting it, because if it was, you’d be shouting it from the rooftops).

So, how much will each film cost?

What will the video quality be like? (You can only expect so much from streaming video. I’d rather download).

Please, you have my interest with no information, so give us some.

waypoetic 18 May, 2010 @ 10:33 am   23

Is this exclusive to the PS3? And, give us an update on the releasedate for Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland please.

Efe Cakarel 18 May, 2010 @ 11:48 am

Hello. The service is exclusive to PS3. Nordic countries are part of the launch, and we are in Cannes closing some major distribution deals in Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and Finland. Expect to watch great films instantly on your PS3 this Fall.

SyncroUK 18 May, 2010 @ 10:34 am   24

I know a film nut that will probably go and buy a PS3 when he hears about this.

centrinoduo91 18 May, 2010 @ 10:35 am   25

Their website says £3 a film. witch, given the quality of most of the films, is really good tbh. theres also a £12 a month unlimited film charge, which is also pretty decent!

will this change for the PS3?

Amazing. I love film festivals. Would love some of the details though. I currently subscribe to LoveFilm and would really like some kind of monthly subscription between this and the main store to switch off LF and just download everything.

Sp4reNL 18 May, 2010 @ 10:37 am   27

Next time use a movie that works with the PS3 browser…

I really hope this new service allows me to watch the movies in their original language with a german PSN account.. otherwise it is as useless as the PlaystationStore to me.

Efe Cakarel 18 May, 2010 @ 11:51 am

Germany is part of the launch. Original language. German subtitles. Exactly how you would expect.

Jerommeke 18 May, 2010 @ 10:39 am   29

When is the release? and is it going to be a world wide release?

VictorAnalogy 18 May, 2010 @ 10:42 am   30

Just had a look at Mubi’s offering on my lappy and I’ve got a few comments/concerns…

1. Looks like videos are priced at Free, £1 or £3. I assume this is to stream them as a one off. I think that’s a good price if it stays the same on PSN. I would like to know if there is a pattern to the pricing. Is it films over a certain age, or just dependant on the licence with the studio?

Not too concerned if these are in SD or HD, most of the movies at Mubi seem to rely on great story telling rather than flashy effects, I would however, like to know is the sound 5.1?

A number of titles on the service notably and unfortunately the ones I was most excited about, “Ghostdog Way of the Samurai”, “Withnail & I” and “Downfall” are not available to watch in my location (UK). If the video watching element of the service is going to be so restrictive then I don’t think I’ll be supporting this as much as I had hoped to.

Efe Cakarel 18 May, 2010 @ 12:07 pm

hello. prices in UK are £1 for shorts or £3 for features. all films cost the same. when we launch, it’s going to be SD at the beginning (purely because not everyone has super fast bandwidth to support HD, and the quality is very good even with SD). Thanks.

VictorAnalogy 18 May, 2010 @ 10:42 am   31

Sorry…went over my word count…crashing on…

Regarding the site itself, the search engine is not particularly robust, searching for Miike’s Audition I couldn’t find the film at all despite it appearing in the trailer above. Sorting films by title or director doesn’t seem to work either. These things need to be sorted for a user experience that is up to the PlayStation’s standard.

wardenxx 18 May, 2010 @ 10:42 am   32

cool

VitalogyPJ 18 May, 2010 @ 10:47 am   33

Probably another thing that will only be available on UK…

Sprinter 18 May, 2010 @ 10:49 am   34

Awesome stuff!

Samarotu 18 May, 2010 @ 10:53 am   35

this is what i would´ve wanted in the Vid-Store.

Great Films that are Pearls & not mainstream.

Can we expect some kind of Presentations like we have in Germany at the Fantasy Film Festival or from the Sundance Festival? Like “Rec.”, “The Hamiltons”, “Lady Vengence”, “Transamerica” and so on?

Will there be Multilingualsupport so we can enjoy those Films in the original Versions? The worst thing would be, when we have the same problem like in the vid-store & we could only see the films with german spoken language.

Many Questions i know, but i hope we can get an answer on this.

Already thrilled looking forward to this application.

Greets Sama

This is fantastic news! Sony are making PS3 truly doing everything just like the advertisement in the US! Love this and I hope the collection of movies don´t get [DELETED] for us in the Scandinavia…

Kitano FTW! I would love to see Kids Return again :)

This seems a nice service… at least until we see “not available in Portugal” :p

thorgrimm 18 May, 2010 @ 11:02 am   39

any medem films in the pipeline?

Fantatier 18 May, 2010 @ 11:02 am   40

this looks awesome :)

Redswipe 18 May, 2010 @ 11:03 am   41

I hope you have the documentary ‘Rerberg and Tarkovsky. The Reverse Side Of “Stalker”’ because I really want to see that.

k-man450 18 May, 2010 @ 11:11 am   42

This is awesome and it is coming to the Nordic countries. Hell yeah.

so is this just for foreign films or will it be big films too like ones that will be going into cinemas worldwide

p.s i guess that rumoured f.w 3.40 will be due soon then lol just hope theres other goodies too

portachking 18 May, 2010 @ 11:20 am   45

This look wonderful. I’ve just signed up to the website and your catalogue is fantastic. I’m only concerned about the country restrictions. I’m a resident in Ireland, and as usual, this seems to be having a typical impact of the selection of films available with online streaming services (PSN videostore, I’m looking at you). Doubtless the selection that is there for me already is fantastic, but it is disappointing when the front page is filled with such classics only to have them all removed when I limit it to on view films in my own area.

This is brilliant! I especially like the “quality over quantity” part :)

Suzzopher 18 May, 2010 @ 11:23 am   47

What an awesome application. I love Vidzone and have been using blinkbox.com a lot recently. This is just another great application I’ll get plenty of use out of.

AnimaOnline 18 May, 2010 @ 11:24 am   48

Oh PlayStation 3, you never cease to impress me. :)

MUBI looks fantastic and the trailer showed a good couple of my favourite movies in there which is a good sign. I’ll definitely be keeping a close eye on this one.

vonhammer 18 May, 2010 @ 11:32 am   49

Very nice.What sort of video/audio quality will this have.

@27
“Next time use a movie that works with the PS3 browser…”

Check here,then bookmark if you use PS3 browser

Youtube version

!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!

This looks amazing, and I’m glad that you included Australia as well. It’s really appreciated from us folks over here.

Will definitely be using this service in future. :D

Load all