Posted 10:00am

PS3 + MUBI + YOU

Hello,

We are MUBI.

Who? What?

Ok, lets make this simple… Do you know who Kubrick is? What about Antonioni? David Lynch? Ring any bells?

It’s ok, don’t bother if you don’t…

But if you are still reading you are going to like this a lot.

Well, we are MUBI and we are basically transforming your PS3 console into your own online cinema. (You can still play games and all that, don’t worry!) We couldn’t resist the idea of everyone having their own exquisite film library—And that’s it in a nutshell.

MUBI

But lets get this straight, we are not just an online cinema and we are not just some tech and film geeks in California—well, some of us are, yes—but we are 300,000 friends talking, discovering, and sharing films with one another every day. In fact, every 2 minutes there’s someone joining us. Yes. 2 minutes. Sorry to get a bit geeky (we warned you!), but that’s 700 people joining each day. Not bad… but joining what?

MUBI

The truth is, we can’t even start explaining. But let’s try this: At the moment, some of us are at the Cannes Film Festival announcing a major collaboration with SCEE for PS3. So, soon, you will find a new application on your console, which will let you stream the best of international cinema from the comforts of your couch. This is not a simple virtual videostore; we emphasize quality over quantity. You’ll find undistributed festival gems ripe for your discovery, your favorite recent independent and art-house releases. Names like the Coen brothers, Godard, Kitano, Almodóvar, Tarantino, and Van Sant are some we’ll bring home to you.

Mubi - Jackie Brown

Palm d’Or winners and simply films we think should have won awards. But that’s not all. We’ll bring you exclusive online premieres, collaborations with international film festivals, and retrospectives of some of the best cinema the world has ever seen.

MUBI

And as we said, we love talking and sharing wonderful cinema too. Which makes MUBI like a small coffee shop, a place where you can gather and chat about alternative endings, directors’ cuts, or whatever those frogs in Magnolia meant.

Mubi - Magnolia

You can follow members and interact with them: This is Martin Scorsese’s profile for instance (he happens to be a member!). Anyway, you get the point. We’ve spent some time tying together an online cinema with a simple, engaging social network to help film lovers spread around the world connect over the movies they love best. And that is that. Welcome to MUBI.

MUBI

Do you know what Tati means? What about Jonze?

Mubi - RedBalloonMubi - NakedLunch

Enjoy,

The Mubi Team

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

171 Comments 17 Author replies
Show oldest first

Looks awesome. When can we expect this in Europe?

Jem Alexander 18 May, 2010 @ 11:02 am

Hey guys,

Efe will be around later to answer some questions. In the meantime I can clear up some of your more pressing queries.

Such as where Mubi will be available when it launches — UK, Ireland, France, Italy, Iberia, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Benelux, Nordic countries, Australia and New Zealand. More territories will be announced at a later date.

Andrefpvs 18 May, 2010 @ 10:08 am   2

Awesome! Anything from Manoel de Oliveira in there?

Will this be integrated into the XMB like VidZone?

Archonik 18 May, 2010 @ 10:08 am   3

That is AMAZING!! As a movie fan, I’m excited!

Any more info you can give is? Will it a subscription based service? Or ad supported? Streaming only or download operated?

Jem Alexander 18 May, 2010 @ 11:06 am

Mubi videos will be streamed and there’ll be a couple of payment methods. Either pay-per-video weekly rentals or an all-you-can-watch subscription service. There’ll also be some free videos to try out the service, too.

No word on exact pricing yet though.

Thats not only one have look at blinkbox and working on PS3 today, loads of movies and TV programs.

Thats good but when is PS3 browser really going support HD.

xKillerMonkeyx 18 May, 2010 @ 10:11 am   5

Looks awesome, guess it wont be available in spain though, should be considering most people speak english :-(

Munders12 18 May, 2010 @ 10:11 am   6

O_O cool!?

strangeplaice 18 May, 2010 @ 10:12 am   7

Not trying to be offensive but the only person I recognised in that whole clip was Hitler and tbh, that didn’t fill me with confidence. Also the link in the video gave me a 404. :|
My only question is, is this optionally added to the XMB like games or will it be sat there so we’re forced to download it like Home and Life With PlayStation so that we don’t have a bunch of dysfunctional icons?

(Sorry for the negativity. Maybe the point of this went over my head.)

generallegendary 18 May, 2010 @ 10:12 am   8

ah good to see its coming to australia, now all we need in australia is a kevin butler and we shall be set lol

Demadred 18 May, 2010 @ 10:13 am   9

AWESOME!… i think, not 100% sure what it is yet… a mix between social networking and movies focused on indie quality titles…?

No matter, i will check it out when it comes out… if it comes out in Norway (IT WILL COME OUT IN NORWAY RIGHT!?)
Best of luck to you guys

Nice!

VictorAnalogy 18 May, 2010 @ 10:18 am   11

Audition, Ghostdog, Withnail, Downfall, amazing films all…I need to read up on these Mubi fellows.

centrinoduo91 18 May, 2010 @ 10:21 am   12

this sounds brilliant. you’ve got my all excited :D

whats the pricing going to be like?
do you download the films or stream them?

btw, european poeple asking about other languages, if you look at the pictures, it shows multiple Subtitle options :)

can’t wait to see how this goes!

s_wrenn 18 May, 2010 @ 10:21 am   13

So this will be in all EU countries?

nicnemame 18 May, 2010 @ 10:23 am   14

And what about Czech Republic? It will be also supported?

Just gone thought list of 16 pages of movies. And not one of them interested me at all.

All in all, as it is now it looks like a load of rubbish and only has movies that people who like Cannes International Film Festival type of movies.

If that you cup of tea, alright but it is not for me.

SlipperyFella 18 May, 2010 @ 10:24 am   16

This is truly exciting and totally unexpected so thankyou! It is so disheartening that the only films available to watch on the PS3 are the latest mainstream releases and blockbusters that I usually don’t give a damn about, but now we have some decent films coming our way, hurraaaah! :D

From the Tags, it suggests that it will be in all English speaking countries? :(

In case it needs restating: a lot of people speak English even if they don’t live in English speaking countries! Give us the Digital Comics already (oh wait – too late, I can do it on my iPhone now already so I don’t need it anymore on PSP … ), and give us the PSN movie service already … grrr.

If want to know if Mubi in your area. Then send your browser to.

Eu date?

I reckon this may be part of the premium service.

CartBlanche 18 May, 2010 @ 10:30 am   21

I’m also a huge film fan, particularly of indie films, and I’m very excited by the possibility.

IGriffoI 18 May, 2010 @ 10:31 am   22

I love pretty much all of the films featured in the clip. So if that’s anything to go by, this should be great.

But, with a post with this amount of writing, the fact that there is little-to-no information in it is nothing other than… impressive.

Where’s – like – all the information? Don’t make me ask every question.

Is it free? (I’m doubting it, because if it was, you’d be shouting it from the rooftops).

So, how much will each film cost?

What will the video quality be like? (You can only expect so much from streaming video. I’d rather download).

Please, you have my interest with no information, so give us some.

waypoetic 18 May, 2010 @ 10:33 am   23

Is this exclusive to the PS3? And, give us an update on the releasedate for Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland please.

Efe Cakarel 18 May, 2010 @ 11:48 am

SyncroUK 18 May, 2010 @ 10:34 am   24

I know a film nut that will probably go and buy a PS3 when he hears about this.

centrinoduo91 18 May, 2010 @ 10:35 am   25

Their website says £3 a film. witch, given the quality of most of the films, is really good tbh. theres also a £12 a month unlimited film charge, which is also pretty decent!

will this change for the PS3?

Amazing. I love film festivals. Would love some of the details though. I currently subscribe to LoveFilm and would really like some kind of monthly subscription between this and the main store to switch off LF and just download everything.

Sp4reNL 18 May, 2010 @ 10:37 am   27

Next time use a movie that works with the PS3 browser…

I really hope this new service allows me to watch the movies in their original language with a german PSN account.. otherwise it is as useless as the PlaystationStore to me.

Efe Cakarel 18 May, 2010 @ 11:51 am

Germany is part of the launch. Original language. German subtitles. Exactly how you would expect.

Jerommeke 18 May, 2010 @ 10:39 am   29

When is the release? and is it going to be a world wide release?

VictorAnalogy 18 May, 2010 @ 10:42 am   30

Just had a look at Mubi’s offering on my lappy and I’ve got a few comments/concerns…

1. Looks like videos are priced at Free, £1 or £3. I assume this is to stream them as a one off. I think that’s a good price if it stays the same on PSN. I would like to know if there is a pattern to the pricing. Is it films over a certain age, or just dependant on the licence with the studio?

Not too concerned if these are in SD or HD, most of the movies at Mubi seem to rely on great story telling rather than flashy effects, I would however, like to know is the sound 5.1?

A number of titles on the service notably and unfortunately the ones I was most excited about, “Ghostdog Way of the Samurai”, “Withnail & I” and “Downfall” are not available to watch in my location (UK). If the video watching element of the service is going to be so restrictive then I don’t think I’ll be supporting this as much as I had hoped to.

Efe Cakarel 18 May, 2010 @ 12:07 pm

hello. prices in UK are £1 for shorts or £3 for features. all films cost the same. when we launch, it’s going to be SD at the beginning (purely because not everyone has super fast bandwidth to support HD, and the quality is very good even with SD). Thanks.

VictorAnalogy 18 May, 2010 @ 10:42 am   31

Sorry…went over my word count…crashing on…

Regarding the site itself, the search engine is not particularly robust, searching for Miike’s Audition I couldn’t find the film at all despite it appearing in the trailer above. Sorting films by title or director doesn’t seem to work either. These things need to be sorted for a user experience that is up to the PlayStation’s standard.

wardenxx 18 May, 2010 @ 10:42 am   32

cool

VitalogyPJ 18 May, 2010 @ 10:47 am   33

Probably another thing that will only be available on UK…

Sprinter 18 May, 2010 @ 10:49 am   34

Awesome stuff!

Samarotu 18 May, 2010 @ 10:53 am   35

this is what i would´ve wanted in the Vid-Store.

Great Films that are Pearls & not mainstream.

Can we expect some kind of Presentations like we have in Germany at the Fantasy Film Festival or from the Sundance Festival? Like “Rec.”, “The Hamiltons”, “Lady Vengence”, “Transamerica” and so on?

Will there be Multilingualsupport so we can enjoy those Films in the original Versions? The worst thing would be, when we have the same problem like in the vid-store & we could only see the films with german spoken language.

Many Questions i know, but i hope we can get an answer on this.

Already thrilled looking forward to this application.

Greets Sama

This is fantastic news! Sony are making PS3 truly doing everything just like the advertisement in the US! Love this and I hope the collection of movies don´t get [DELETED] for us in the Scandinavia…

Kitano FTW! I would love to see Kids Return again :)

This seems a nice service… at least until we see “not available in Portugal” :p

thorgrimm 18 May, 2010 @ 11:02 am   39

any medem films in the pipeline?

Fantatier 18 May, 2010 @ 11:02 am   40

this looks awesome :)

Redswipe 18 May, 2010 @ 11:03 am   41

I hope you have the documentary ‘Rerberg and Tarkovsky. The Reverse Side Of “Stalker”’ because I really want to see that.

k-man450 18 May, 2010 @ 11:11 am   42

This is awesome and it is coming to the Nordic countries. Hell yeah.

so is this just for foreign films or will it be big films too like ones that will be going into cinemas worldwide

p.s i guess that rumoured f.w 3.40 will be due soon then lol just hope theres other goodies too

portachking 18 May, 2010 @ 11:20 am   45

This look wonderful. I’ve just signed up to the website and your catalogue is fantastic. I’m only concerned about the country restrictions. I’m a resident in Ireland, and as usual, this seems to be having a typical impact of the selection of films available with online streaming services (PSN videostore, I’m looking at you). Doubtless the selection that is there for me already is fantastic, but it is disappointing when the front page is filled with such classics only to have them all removed when I limit it to on view films in my own area.

This is brilliant! I especially like the “quality over quantity” part :)

Suzzopher 18 May, 2010 @ 11:23 am   47

What an awesome application. I love Vidzone and have been using blinkbox.com a lot recently. This is just another great application I’ll get plenty of use out of.

AnimaOnline 18 May, 2010 @ 11:24 am   48

Oh PlayStation 3, you never cease to impress me. :)

MUBI looks fantastic and the trailer showed a good couple of my favourite movies in there which is a good sign. I’ll definitely be keeping a close eye on this one.

vonhammer 18 May, 2010 @ 11:32 am   49

Very nice.What sort of video/audio quality will this have.

@27
“Next time use a movie that works with the PS3 browser…”

Check here,then bookmark if you use PS3 browser

Youtube version

!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!

This looks amazing, and I’m glad that you included Australia as well. It’s really appreciated from us folks over here.

Will definitely be using this service in future. :D

space_squirrel 18 May, 2010 @ 11:33 am   51

maaan. I’d love to have this kind of service in Poland…

GhostViper 18 May, 2010 @ 11:49 am   52

Nordic Countries at launch? That’s great :D

Fantatier 18 May, 2010 @ 11:54 am   53

can we turn off subtitles? if watching a movie from germany, i mean i dont need them im british :p

I hope this works better than Vidzone.
That only shows a black screen and no video :-(

shaney2007h 18 May, 2010 @ 12:06 pm   55

Looks goooood! Another nice app for PS3

Tridentmorph 18 May, 2010 @ 12:09 pm   56

Oh, this looks cool. Def will check this out when it appears.

vicheous 18 May, 2010 @ 12:10 pm   57

Quote: “Efe Cakarel – Hello. The service is exclusive to PS3. Nordic countries are part of the launch, and we are in Cannes closing some major distribution deals in Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and Finland. Expect to watch great films instantly on your PS3 this Fall.”

Sweet! Can’t wait ;-)

Bonyman 18 May, 2010 @ 12:11 pm   58

Sounds interesting, looking forward to more details.

GuttermouthSIN 18 May, 2010 @ 12:13 pm   59

What a great little application. Can’t wait to try it out :)

Looks really interesting, I hope it can compete with Headweb.

mattkan 18 May, 2010 @ 12:18 pm   61

I have some opinions on those frogs.

It just happened

I call this the service made for me.

Thanks it’s actually a feature i am now anticipating more than the release of Monkey Island.

ElStefio 18 May, 2010 @ 12:26 pm   62

The PS3-owning, film loving part of me is liking this very much. The part of me that works in the DVD rental game not so much…

I jest of course – this is great news.

sentry-23 18 May, 2010 @ 12:33 pm   63

Looking at the trailer.. did you guys just borrow my DVD collection to make that? Seeing Audition, Hedwig, Sonatine, Naked Lunch, and many more in a ‘mainstream’ trailer is very promising.

I just hope you’ll have enough movies I haven’t seen yet :)

maddymad 18 May, 2010 @ 12:39 pm   64

Amazing! I love it when you say “quality over quantity” :) I’m looking forward to it.

JohnParry 18 May, 2010 @ 12:40 pm   65

Fantastic news!!

I’m a member of The Auters already and I’m working on a complete Criterion blu-ray collection so this is pretty much perfect news for me.

I really like that you’ve maintaned the look of The Auters/The Criterion Collection on the MUBI service. So Pleased!!!

cthulhu85 18 May, 2010 @ 12:40 pm   66

This sounds great :D Finally something nice, movie related, being released to nordic countries also

WillyKYU 18 May, 2010 @ 12:41 pm   67

Outstanding, marvelous, BRILLIANT! Thank you SO much, this is the best VOD service announcement ever!

Original language? subs? excellent movie selection! (mubi! cool japanese name!) if so, this is perfect. What about a subscribe service with a month fee with unlimited access?

Now could you also give us the original languages and subs for the regular video store now?

Shin-Ra 18 May, 2010 @ 12:41 pm   68

Love the UI, very polished looking!

Mabdias 18 May, 2010 @ 12:48 pm   69

I would love to have such service in my country, but unfortunately, difficult to believe that someday we will see this service here.

Sorry for my bad English, it happened because I’m using a translator

Cimbrer 18 May, 2010 @ 12:51 pm   70

This looks promising. Big thank you for including the Nordic countries in your launch of this service, unlike others.
Any information regarding the Video and Audio quality? Will it be in Standard Definition, or can we expect some High Definition content from this service?

Splutterbug 18 May, 2010 @ 1:11 pm   71

Fantastic news! It sounds like an arthouse netflicks. Very excited lets hope we get some decent pricing and eventually HD.

Lets have some dates people!

makingdamage 18 May, 2010 @ 1:12 pm   72

If you going for quality over quantity then you´ll need Jean-Pierre Jeunet! He is the greatest!

BlueViper 18 May, 2010 @ 1:15 pm   73

Would be great with free movies=)

One serious suggestion: Able to import ratings from IMDB or filmtipset.se (filmtipset are very open so I think they would be very helpful!)

Shuya86 18 May, 2010 @ 1:18 pm   74

Sounds pretty good I saw both Audition and Oldboy in that trailer which surprised me.

I’m a lovefilm member and they have a webstreaming service but it’s rather limited would you say mubi has better video quality than that? (ie at least looks good enough for tv)

If so I’ll consider you for streaming in addition to my current film package.

VictorAnalogy 18 May, 2010 @ 1:21 pm   75

Thanks for responding and clarifying on the pricing structure, I love that all the films are the same price, great move!

I don’t suppose you have any comment on the chances of securing rights from the films shown in the advert for this service? I’d love to be able to stream Ghostdog, Withnail, Audition and Downfall.

Thanks also for clarifying on the SD/HD issue, as I said, the films I’m likely to watch on this are the great character stories rather than summer blockbuster films so the resolution isn’t such a big deal to me.

Finally, sorry to ask again, but will the Audio be 5.1?

Matazone 18 May, 2010 @ 1:22 pm   76

Sorry if it’s a cheeky question, but how much do the film makers get? I love supporting independent cinema and would like to make sure that I’m seeing their work in the way that helps them the most.

mew_frenger 18 May, 2010 @ 1:27 pm   77

i whish the video store had higher priority than this. looks great, but we still dont have a video store for “normal movies”.

spatsnaz 18 May, 2010 @ 1:30 pm   78

Wonderful. I really hope Finland gets this too.

Bloody_Marcel 18 May, 2010 @ 1:38 pm   79

Wish Vidzone had the same (awesome) slick interface.

Anyway, incredible movie collection. Very hyped about this. More so than the PlayStation Video Store actually.

Too bad about no HD offerings. I don’t get the justification given about it in one of the devs comments. “Not everyone has super fast bandwidth to support HD”? Seriously now, you waiting for EVERYONE to have it before offering HD content? I understand there is enough people ready (and willing to pay) for HD movies.

Bloody_Marcel 18 May, 2010 @ 1:39 pm   80

Forgot to ask something:

Will presence data be supported? Vidzone supports it…

Ryusennin 18 May, 2010 @ 1:47 pm   81

It’s part of PSN Premium, right?

Mithos-SWE 18 May, 2010 @ 1:49 pm   82

@FluBBa – Yeah, lets hope the deals being struck make some diffrence, right now there are not much there (MUBI) being available in Sweden, that I am interested in.

Guillemots 18 May, 2010 @ 1:50 pm   83

Nice!
Another GREAT service for PS3.
Thanks! :D

HelgastKing_90 18 May, 2010 @ 1:52 pm   84

And There will be the italian ?

GutsBerserker 18 May, 2010 @ 2:04 pm   85

Wow this is truly epic! Original languages with subtitles, low prices and I hope a growing selection of good/outstanding movies and even available in my small country AKA Switzerland from the get-go!! Who needs a sub-par Vidstore with no original language and high prices after this hits the PS3?

I’ve got one question for you, actually two:

- Will it be possible to pause the stream so the buffer can fill up? I fear my crappy 1024Kbit/s connection will fail at seamless playback if not.

- I guess we don’t need to pay monthly fees just to be able to rent movies or something crazy like that?

Thanks a lot for this new feature, this really is tremendous news!

Efe Cakarel 18 May, 2010 @ 3:26 pm

hello,
    - it’s progressive download. so you’ll be able to pause the stream and have an espresso while the film buffers.
    - there is no free lunch. :(

Orange_Wedge 18 May, 2010 @ 2:06 pm   86

It better be not UK only..

enormhi 18 May, 2010 @ 2:07 pm   87

Cool! Looking forward to it.

Will they release simultaniasly in all country’s or as usual: England, France, Germany and Spain first?

“Which makes MUBI like a small coffee shop”
The Dutch kind? Where you can buy Hasj?

wow. this looks like one heck of a service. I’m totally going to end up watching films every week through this! :-)

awesome! and we get in he countries that matters too!! ;)

Noisepurge 18 May, 2010 @ 2:16 pm   90

Can i select beetween different language subtitles and to watch it in either HD or SD? Surround or Stereo?

Already registered! :D

sebbodes0 18 May, 2010 @ 2:20 pm   91

Can i pay the movies with my psn money? i’ve looked on the site and they have only credit card payment

Efe Cakarel 18 May, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

Hello,
    The service is a native PS3 app and will be integrated with PSN wallet system. So you’ll be able pay with your PS3 account. Thanks.

/efe

Haraldo 18 May, 2010 @ 2:22 pm   92

Sounds like a great service if the content offering is extensive enough.

Will the films be subtitled for each country that the service will launched in, for example Finnish subtitles for films that are available in Finland? Can you comment on the availability of local content for each country?

whoismilan 18 May, 2010 @ 2:34 pm   93

This is great news, I’m looking forward to trying it out once it launches on PS3.

However, I went to your website, and I noticed that most movies (and most of the famous ones) are not available to watch in my area (Finland). I do appreciate that there are some instead of none at all, but I hope you’ll be able to bring more of them to Finland in the future, such as ones by Kubrick, Scorsese, Hitchcock, etc.

Arion87 18 May, 2010 @ 2:41 pm   94

Any chance of it being launched in South Africa at some point?

thomdibble 18 May, 2010 @ 2:43 pm   95

this sounds amazing. i’m a huge, huge fan, heard about blinkbox, but don’t like that it streams from the ps3 web-browser (which i really dont get on with). i love that there is an emphisis on indendent films / studios, and scorsese is on it? sweet as a nut!!!! hopefully there will be some intergration of major hollywood films as well though? would be missing a trick if you didn’t. this really has me excited. cannot wait!

crashvu 18 May, 2010 @ 2:43 pm   96

Will finally hopefully be able to watch what movie all the Hitler rants actually come from in terms of screenplay. I’m sure it’s a interesting movie despite the numerous times it’s been used to take the mick out of Hitler.

MJHAYLETT 18 May, 2010 @ 2:44 pm   97

Well colour me pink and call me Charlie. That is some sweet service coming to PS3. Any film montage that has a clip of Min-sik Choi about to cut off his tongue in ‘Oldboy’ is a WIN to me. Can’t Wait to try it out.

GutsBerserker 18 May, 2010 @ 2:57 pm   98

Well just checked what movies are available right now for Switzerland…hmm not that overwhelmed anymore, hope it will get better over time.

gekko1986 18 May, 2010 @ 3:00 pm   99

So is The Auteurs, err MUBI, going to be available in the U.S.?

Efe Cakarel 18 May, 2010 @ 3:29 pm

nice.. here is one of our founding members. :)

we are discussing US, and have the intention to launch there as well, but don’t have a target date yet.

/efe

thomdibble 18 May, 2010 @ 3:03 pm   100

@98 i was thinking that maybe more mainstream movies were needed but had a look at their catalouge and i can honestly say i don’t want any ‘new’ films any more. there are countless classics in there. most of my favourites. my only concern is how many will be available to stream in the uk. on the site i changed to the ‘view available in my area’ and half of the best films dissppeared. any chance this will be fixed by ps3 launch??

kivi95 18 May, 2010 @ 3:10 pm   101

So this is coming to Sweden on launch that’s GREAT.Hope it will be with English voice and options for English and Swedish subtitles.

wbrinkman 18 May, 2010 @ 3:11 pm   102

Can’t believe this article fails to deliver the simplest of details.

- Availability in EU zones
- Pricing
- Video format, audio channels, language / subtitle options
- DRM limitations
- Bandwidth required for streaming, download available?
- Third parties involved. (I see a “presented by Stella Artois” in a screenshot – are we going to be interrupted by commercials?)

Efe Cakarel 18 May, 2010 @ 3:34 pm

Hello,
    We just announced our partnership and currently developing the application (working really hard!) to launch in Fall. We don’t know all the answers yet. But here is what we know..

- availability: the service will be launched this Fall, initially in the UK, Ireland, France, Italy, Iberia, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Benelux, Nordic countries, Australia and New Zealand.
    - the application will be free to download, and once installed, you will be able to start watching ad-sponsored films for free, or via pay per view, or on a monthly subscription giving access to the whole catalogue. pricing to be determined later.
    - SD. Stereo and Dobly 5.1 when available. Original language. Local subtitles.
    - no interruption by commercials. never.

thanks,
    /efe

oldflashy 18 May, 2010 @ 3:30 pm   103

Any chance that from Spain I’ll be able to access films with English audio or subtitles? The main problem with the PS Store rentals is that they’re all dubbed :-(

pahumis 18 May, 2010 @ 3:33 pm   104

iam already subscripted to the Mubis-former Auters-for the fifth month.i tried today to watch a movie from Mubis and told me that PS3 brnowser is not accepted.i know in Greece we have no PSN Videostore,but please informe me if you know will i be able to watch my Mubis movies after the Mubis-PS3 collaboration since in Greece there is no access to PSN Videostore.I would appreciate an answer.thank you in advance

FallingStickman 18 May, 2010 @ 3:39 pm   105

Another video service not available in Poland… swell…

LAClennell 18 May, 2010 @ 3:40 pm   106

Not interested

ShinyGoldfish 18 May, 2010 @ 3:51 pm   107

Wow, this looks absolutely stunning.
Isn’t it a bit cruel to announce it now, but deny us access till Autumn? ;-)

dgnfly 18 May, 2010 @ 4:08 pm   108

this is just gay cause it’s the same with the videostore announced at a later date. we are still waiting for the videostore in some countries you retarded ppl at sony so we can expect all the non-english ppl 2 wait a year or 2 more 2 get it

aragod 18 May, 2010 @ 4:21 pm   109

Is Czech Republic even beeing considered for future expansion and if so, in which “wave” that would be?

We are used to beeing screwed over by SCEE, having higher prices on PSN that rest of the europe, no vidzone, comic store or first play, so I’m just wondering if this is going to be the rare exception or like usual…

aragod 18 May, 2010 @ 4:23 pm   110

@108 heh I ever forgot about Videostore, I guess there must be couple of key selling features in the west that I can’t even think of because we’ve never been considered nor offered any of those.

HelgastKing_90 18 May, 2010 @ 4:25 pm   111

There will be Italian as a language?
:D

bap10 18 May, 2010 @ 4:26 pm   112

Sounds great. Cheers for the heads up.

KoSzNik 18 May, 2010 @ 4:27 pm   113

Yeah, i’m so exicted, my wait is over… ohhhhhh (no, wait… *reading again*)… heh, i just forgot that Poland (and few other countries) is not in Europe, still making same mistake… happy watching to European ‘Europe’ Countries and AustralianNewZealand ‘Europe’ Countries;)

@aragod – hehe, just get used to it, its the same here;)

BalramRules 18 May, 2010 @ 4:43 pm   114

luv this feature, soundz SIK! XD

Smoutefretter_BE 18 May, 2010 @ 5:00 pm   115

really awesome!
and for once many european countries will have it at launch!

looking forward to more info (what films/pricing).

betahoven 18 May, 2010 @ 5:07 pm   116

Awesome. Looking forward to it launching.

neoxthexone123 18 May, 2010 @ 5:08 pm   117

Im totally excited for this feature, and I will end up paying the monthly subscription.

wbrinkman 18 May, 2010 @ 5:13 pm   118

Thanks for clarifying Efe, might want to update the article with the information, so users don’t have to trawl the comments.

Cheers

iTetris 18 May, 2010 @ 5:18 pm   119

So we must see this like a European version of Netflix? I hope The Netherlands gets added though, I’m pumped for this. :)

RavetodaGrave_ 18 May, 2010 @ 5:30 pm   120

I doubt it i bet it will be out in England for 6 months before it touchs ground in any other country. We still dont have the video store so i started downloading illegally. Now i have over hundred films with a resolution of about 1288 X 544(Average). Which isnt that bad at all like normal TV.So thanks sony for not bringing the video store out cause now i got more money and i have and can get the movies i want. All said and done this MUBI thing sounds good il check it out

thorgrimm 18 May, 2010 @ 5:49 pm   121

I’m so glad It’ll launch in Belgium ^^
keep up the good work

wiktorclunk 18 May, 2010 @ 5:57 pm   122

When POLAND??????????????????????????????

AmethystSword 18 May, 2010 @ 6:00 pm   123

oh wow…this looks amazing! saw a couple of movies in that trailer that I just would not have expected such as Metropolis :o

this will def get a visit from me~

Efe Cakarel 19 May, 2010 @ 11:59 am

ohh, if you like ‘Metropolis’, you are in for a real treat. We will show the version of Metropolis currently being restored to include missing scenes recently found when we launch MUBI on PS3.

/efe

MobileTone 18 May, 2010 @ 6:11 pm   124

what does this offer that BlinkBox doesn’t?

funnydude6556 18 May, 2010 @ 6:23 pm   125

@1

Can we expect this in europe? Really? This site right here? Happens to be the european Playstation blog why would they post it here if Sony thought they couldn’t bring it to europe?!

OttoT 18 May, 2010 @ 6:27 pm   126

High quality movies in low quality defenition.
That is sad.
I own a blu-ray device because I love movies. I want to see it in the best way possible. Why not deliver a standard Sony set?

didzej1 18 May, 2010 @ 6:51 pm   127

Once again you forget about the loyal userbase in Poland, it’s a bit sad… (for those who don’t know, there’s no Vidzone, no video store, no nothing)

Zverikk 18 May, 2010 @ 7:03 pm   128

Any chance Mubi will be available in Russia? Thanks.

MazzingerZ 18 May, 2010 @ 7:11 pm   129

YESSSSS! Awesome!

Thank you for including Skandinavia !!

Whatever it costs! I like the type of movies to be distrubuted, that was the reason I was never jealous of the US service…those movies in the US VS I can rent anywhere…on the other hand this is quality! and of course I’m supporting real CINEMA with my wallet!

Looking forward to hear more! Lepipzig I assume ;)

MazzingerZ 18 May, 2010 @ 7:16 pm   130

I just read “Local subtitles” which is awesome!!! Movies should be enjoyed in the original language!

Thank you again!!

Major-Sound 18 May, 2010 @ 7:17 pm   131

Dancer in the Dark! Donnie Darko!! Pan’s Labyrinth!!!

Those are one of my all-time favourites! Thanks SCEE and MUBI! :D

MazzingerZ 18 May, 2010 @ 7:23 pm   132

@MobileTone
“what does this offer that BlinkBox doesn’t?”

1- An application 100% supported by SONY’s FW updates
2- Integration with XMB
3- Localization and security when shoppping online
4- …what is BlixtBlox…BlinkBox?…have no idea, there you go! Europe is more than only UK hence there are lots of people celebrating this announcement…or are you implying that SCEE should do anything because the UK has already BlixBlox?

Splutterbug 18 May, 2010 @ 7:29 pm   133

Just wondering if I was to take out a subscription through my PS3, could I also watch films through the website on my laptop? i.e when I’m really really bored at work :-) Are the accounts linked?

Efe Cakarel 19 May, 2010 @ 12:02 pm

Yes. If you take out a subscription through your PS3, you will be able to watch them also on http://mubi.com on your laptop. Hence the tagline.. your online cinema, anytime, anywhere.

/efe

divine1000 18 May, 2010 @ 7:47 pm   134

Wow this service looks great. It’s features such as this which lie outside the mainstream in which the PS3 really excels.
Looking forward to it.

katsuo7171 18 May, 2010 @ 8:20 pm   135

Wait why isn’t this in the U.S. ? You’re from California no? Is it legal issues preventing you from coming in the U.S. cause if it is I have Mr. T over here ready to rip apart some laws.

Itchster 18 May, 2010 @ 8:35 pm   136

This is great! one question though

Are English subtiles available on flims that are native English (ie Spoken in English) for those of us who have hearing imparements (ie Deaf).

If you have a large selection of films like that ill be the first one at your door begging to have my £12 taken off me :P

geddesmond2 18 May, 2010 @ 8:49 pm   137

Will we need a credit card to pay for films or can we use our PS3 account wallet funds

EncodedFun 18 May, 2010 @ 9:17 pm   138

Super cool, we have been waiting a movie/film feature for a long time here in the cold north (scan) to get us through those long and cold winters, so this feature is very welcome. :)

And if i could, then i would like to ask just one question:
Wount this new feature, be in direct competition with an evt. upcomming Sony Movie feature, mainly the movie feature the the brits got at the moment..?

VincentVendetta 18 May, 2010 @ 10:00 pm   139

If you don’t know Stanley Kubrick or David Lynch, you should be officially slapped in the face! I’m serious!

Goffeentl 18 May, 2010 @ 10:30 pm   140

And this isn’t also available on the PSP because? If its a streaming service, storage isn’t a problem and it’d only need a comic store style app?

LeeandNomi 18 May, 2010 @ 10:41 pm   141

Just wanted to say this this sounds like a really cool service. The PS3 is really showing it has something for every.

Bravo : )

shortfuse14 18 May, 2010 @ 10:51 pm   142

guys I cant type in the comments section on my PS3 internet browser it doesn’t work only the US blog allows you to comment. The only way I can type here on my PS3 is when i type the message in my XMB *create message *section, copy it then refresh the blog page and paste it in the comment box before the page finishes loading otherwise it will never work. Plus the PS3 internet browser doesn’t support videos on this blog and the US one aswell what the hell Sony!!!!! :(

Bonyman 18 May, 2010 @ 10:53 pm   143

Well, if it’s got David Lynch hopefully that means Eraserhead is in there :)
Delicatessen would be great too, i haven’t seen either of those for years.

fleinn 19 May, 2010 @ 3:24 am   144

…Clockwork Orange, Pulp Fiction, The Shining, Blade Runner, Big Lebowski, Fargo, The Seventh Seal (Syvende Inseglet).. anyone know the rest?

Zaphloo 19 May, 2010 @ 8:56 am   145

Good to see something happening finally when it comes to videostore for europe but I think you should focus on the quality.

You competition is DVD and bluray and quality does matter – a lot to myself.

I have had my 1080p tv for 2,5 years now which is hooked up to a nice 5.1 sound system. I also have a 30Mbit internet connection (aside from my PS3 which can easily store a MPEG4 compressed HD movie downloaded prior to watching…)

I have been ready since ages for HD, many more are too. Why aren’t you?

Varva74 19 May, 2010 @ 9:24 am   146

Great feature. I’d love to see this for Greece as well. Do you have any plans for Greece?

Geomason 19 May, 2010 @ 10:18 am   147

This must be a frigging joke. When I choose to show films “available to watch in your area” all I’m left with are turkish, taiwanese, french and scandinavian films and all the films by Coppola, Kubrick, Tarantino, Scorsese, M. Gondry, Ridley Scott, Coen Brothers, David Lynch, etc, are gone. Out of 500 pages I get only 15 of mostly “no name directors” pages for my area? Seriously?
This service yet again is designed to cater for UK audience only and the list of other EU countries is just another smoke screen to shut up the complainers of the ususal disparities among SCEE region countries. When something sounds too good to be true, then it is too good to be true.

fleinn 19 May, 2010 @ 11:21 am   148

..well, that’s disappointing. But not exactly unexpected.

Oh, and as we can see – piracy is the culprit here. Not regionally enforced protectionism, in any way at all.

Geomason 19 May, 2010 @ 11:30 am   149

Piracy? Do dutch download pirated movies more than british?

Philip99 19 May, 2010 @ 11:59 am   150

While I love the works of Wong Kar Wai, and obscure Japanese, Chinese and Korean films in general, I do not see the point of this application. If these films, and not just the awful produce of Hollywood, we’re out in the Video Store in the first place, there’d be no need for this, seemingly completely the same, application.

Philip99 19 May, 2010 @ 12:01 pm   151

Wait, hang on, we can watch ad-sponsored films for FREE? Hey, that actually does sound good. But then, why not just introduce this good idea to the Video Store in the first place for this genre of film?

Philip99 19 May, 2010 @ 12:04 pm   152

Oh, so 2046, a Wong Kar-Wai movie, is only available in Australia and New Zeland. Well forget it then.

timestoby 19 May, 2010 @ 1:01 pm   153

wow,it does sound great,but wot about uks broadband providers,how will this come down with them,wot if its the evening and we all know the people without fiber optic or cable our broadband is slow in the evenings,will they allows us to still stream at any point of the day without any breakups artifacts lag etc? shouldnt think so,good for fiber and cable users that have that whole 20mb or 50mb

UntidyDubs 19 May, 2010 @ 1:54 pm   154

Please, please, please make this available in Hungary. I’d kill for a service like this! Being a UK citizen but living in Budapest means I miss out on all the cool stuff.

Azulcity 19 May, 2010 @ 6:26 pm   155

Will it be available in Spain in Original voice as well? Unlike the Video store that only has films in Spanish and not VOS?

Im English and live in spain, I can speak and watch films in Spanish, i just dont want to. I want it in the original version as do many Spanish people too, my wife being one of them.

A choice between local and original language would make Sony very popular in many european countries accross many applications. It cant be so difficult to do either.

Looks very interseting by the way.

Lirion 19 May, 2010 @ 7:04 pm   156

B3yond awsome!

wiktorclunk 19 May, 2010 @ 9:29 pm   157

when poland

technofranki 19 May, 2010 @ 10:40 pm   158

At last, videostreaming service for Norway (and the other Nordic countries). This will be great. Can’t wait for the launch.

BlaCkPeZuS 20 May, 2010 @ 12:38 am   159

Is there any that countries that don’t have the PS Store will get this?

Sizzon 20 May, 2010 @ 6:07 pm   160

Yay! Nordic Countries at launch ^^, at least a video streaming service for Sweden :) thank you SCEE and MUBI!, really looking forward to this. I heard that the swedish film (låt den rätte komma in) should be there as a launch film) hehe.

AmethystSword 21 May, 2010 @ 12:43 am   161

:O missing scenes! now I am even more excited about this!

Oista 21 May, 2010 @ 8:02 pm   162

Cheaper than apple tv?

Hades0609 21 May, 2010 @ 9:36 pm   163

cooooooool is there just certain types of movies

Tostic 21 May, 2010 @ 9:39 pm   164

J. H. Christ in a chicken basket! It launches in Switzerland? I can’t believe it.

Kevf_NL 23 May, 2010 @ 12:28 pm   165

I really hope you guys can find the time to answer my questions:

first of all, let me congratulate you with this great initiative. But I really think you guys should have given it more thought:

resolution: sd? The ps3 is advertised as THE machine for HD materials and the movies are only in SD? I’ve got an hd tv years ago and even upgraded to a 50″ full hd.
sound: stereo? No dts or dd? Even my old dvd’s have dts or dolby digital soundtracks.

Regarding sound and resolution: in The Netherlands it’s legal to download (not upload) movies. Why should I pay for an inferior product when I can just download a better quality of the movie for free. I want to support the industry, but then the quality should be at least on par with what you can find on the internet.

Movies available: I live in The Netherland and I can’t watch most of the movies. Yes I know David Lynch but NO I can’t watch ANY of his movies with Mubi. That kinda misses the point don’t you think?

wiktorclunk 23 May, 2010 @ 12:58 pm   166

When POLAND???????????????????

Kevf_NL 23 May, 2010 @ 2:07 pm   167

ok tried to watch a few others

- Citizen Kane
- A space odyssey
- the godfather
- a clockwork orange
- dr Strangelove
- pulp fiction
- seven samurai
- vertigo

NONE where available to watch? So we have the resolution and sound issues I’ve discussed before, but even these legendary movies are not watchable??!?

Legion_Dragon 23 May, 2010 @ 2:31 pm   168

Will this take over from the PS Stores Video service?? at prices like you guys offer ,,, I hope so lol ;-)

Clice 25 May, 2010 @ 9:23 pm   169

Hello Efe Cakarel

I hope that you know that the Faroe Islands is a part of the danish kingdom and the nordic countries, we just use an other IP. So please dont filter out our IP.

Kind regards

Stefan

Blackxino 26 May, 2010 @ 2:12 am   170

SWEET!

may I ask, please answer me. What is all these festival movie thing? I browse around movie websites that covers stories on international movies, they keep talking about movie festival. I ask them and no one answers:/

Anyway, I’m up for this!

I don’t know what the pricing will be, but I hope it has a rent and buy function. So with this feature, it should sort of decrease the use of piracy.

Make this happen, Ong Bak 3 was just released! I wanna watch it!

da-wolfdude 29 May, 2010 @ 10:36 am   171

Just joined the site, so much films that i need to see and so litle time…

And almost all of them aren’t avilibel… (man i can’t spell XD)