Posted 5:39pm

Introducing MotorStorm Apocalypse

More than two years ago we decided where the MotorStorm festival should head next, and I’ve been itching to talk about it ever since. Now, as part of the global announcement, and with E3 just around the corner, it’s so exciting to finally be able to share some information about the game.

2010-05-21_Screen_001

Here are some of the headlines…

You May Have Heard…We’re Heading to the City!

But this is no ordinary city. In the same way that the first MotorStorm was set in Monument Valley, and MotorStorm Pacific Rift was set on ‘The Island’, inspired by Hawaii and other Pacific islands, we’ve set this MotorStorm in ‘The City’, inspired by the West Coast of America, and, in particular, the Bay Area of California.

MotorStorm’s brand of racing is not about ‘going urban’ though. We all know that the lunatic ‘Stormers would take every expectation about street racing and turn it upside-down. So this is what they’ve done. Welcome to Brutal Urban Off-Road Racing!

2010-05-21_Screen_006

Post Apocalyptic? NO!

The city has been abandoned and somewhat damaged after a tremor. When the ‘Stormers find this out, they head straight in. Pretty soon, two things become clear: it isn’t completely empty and Mother Nature isn’t done yet!

Throughout the game the city will be ripped to pieces, in real-time, as you race. Routes will be affected, as will our emergent gameplay.

Buggies using collapsing walls as half-pipes. Big Rigs on the rooftops of skyscrapers as they collapse. Superbikes gunning into the basements of enormous rifts. Supercars flicking on their headlights to barrel through the subways and sewers. Multi-vehicle pile ups on giant bridges as they buckle and twist. Driving through someone’s office and smashing up their desks. It’s all there.

Two groups have also stayed behind, and neither takes too kindly to MotorStorm’s arrival. I’ll talk more about them another time, but for now I’ll say that when they realise there isn’t going to be much of a city left, they start to destroy it too.

This isn’t post-apocalyptic. It’s apocalyptic. You are there when it happens. It’s survival racing.

Variety, Chronology and Depth are King

We’ve listened to everything people said about our previous games and, as a result, one of our priorities is to make a more satifsying overall game experience. In our single-player mode, every race is unique. When a building comes down it stays down. When you race a track again, the buildings will still be down and the MotorStorm crew will have carved yet more routes into the ruined landscape. The only time you’ll see the same thing twice is when you choose to. Underscoring this chronology is the fact that you’ll get to see the game from three different viewpoints.

Nothing annoys me more than the notion that an accessible action racer must also be shallow or plain dumb. So once you have experienced the single-player journey, the true depth of our title will come to the fore. Our overhauled ‘Wreckreation’ mode has been heavily influenced by the best online titles: from shooters and action adventures, RPGs and platformers. It features:

• Sixteen player online multiplayer.
  • Four player split-screen.
  • Combinations of the two. Play with three friends in the living room against 12 more online.
  • Massive vehicle customisation. Change vinyls, vehicle parts, vehicle shapes and more. Upload them to the community site and share them with others. They automatically work on all vehicle types, and include your PSN ID.
  • Vehicle perks. Modify your handling, boosting and offensive abilities as you unlock new perks.
  • A wealth of rankings to progess through online with associated rewards and recognition.
  • Stacks of online rewards to earn and persistent progress giving the most determined and successful racers the status and recognition they deserve.
  • Persistent matchmaking. Keep your party together throughout your gaming session.
  • A Game Mode Creator. From a completely blank canvas you can design your own game rules and victory conditions, play them online, and incorporate them into tournaments.

Lots More

We’ve got a lot more to reveal too; things like replacing loading screens with cut-scenes that finally reveal what it’s like to be a part of the MotorStorm subculture, to changes to handling and boosting, to the five completely new vehicle classes making their way to this festival.

The end of the world…is just the beginning :)

Let me know your thoughts.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

104 Comments 22 Author replies
Show oldest first
Deviil-Boy 10 June, 2010 @ 6:05 pm   1

JUST AWESOME !

Matt Southern 10 June, 2010 @ 6:11 pm

Thanks Deviil-Boy :)

Guys, I’m here to answer some of your questions and get some feedback. I’d love to know what you think!

Matt

UmiChan_88 10 June, 2010 @ 6:05 pm   2

Can’t wait for e3 :3

TalllPaul 10 June, 2010 @ 6:06 pm   3

WOW looks and sounds great, cant wait.

Archonik 10 June, 2010 @ 6:06 pm   4

Oh come on :( Stop spoiling your E3 surprises pre-event :(

(just kidding! can’t wait! MotorStorm was pretty good, the sequel was amazing. The PSP game was great too! And plenty love for split screen! Awesome!)

almighty-slayer 10 June, 2010 @ 6:08 pm   5

You’ll have to convince me on this one, looks too much like split/second

AstroZombie1 10 June, 2010 @ 6:10 pm   6

Killzone 3, LBP2 and Infamous 2 all before E3 what the hell have you guys got for E3? :)

WOW! I seriously never expected this to be announced before E3! :O

I’m a HUGE fan of MotorStorm, I thoroughly enjoyed the first game when I first bought my PS3 and didn’t stop playing it for at least a year. Then when MotorStorm: Pacific Rift came around, I played it non-stop until I got my Platinum trophy, enjoying every second of it. :D

This is going to be a day one buy for me and I am really looking forward to getting my hands on it. :)

Congratulations Evolution Studios! You’ve done me proud.

WOW, aren’t Sony doing well at this years… pre-E3! :O
What’s that now… LittleBigPlanet 2, Killzone 2, inFamous 2, MotorStorm: Apocalypse. That’s just about good enough to fill the actual E3 Press Conference, and E3 hasn’t even started yet! God I can’t wait to hear what Sony have to show off at this years E3, but also, to hear more about these EPIC games. :D

Also, well done Sony, you’ve definitely made the best console this generation in my books. :)

Matt Southern 10 June, 2010 @ 6:21 pm

Thankyou so much BAZ1307. Look forward to playing against you in 2011 :)

Dante_Zero 10 June, 2010 @ 6:15 pm   8

i with everyone else, what the hell have you got in store for E3? should watch the conference.

on a plus note. great to see a new motorstorm.i didnt really get into the previous too, always felt it was just missing something. not sure what but heres hoping that motorstorm 3 can sort that and if not i still hope its an amazing success.

Question, can I have a job?
So desperately want to get in on this early and I make a stellar cuppa tea :D

Overwhelmed by Apocalypse already, but I’ve always hoped there’d be a chance Arctic Edge would be playable on PS3. Any chance?

Ho-Ly-Crap. That feature set is outstanding, excellent work! If i were to ask of one thing, it would be this: can we have an “upload replay to youtube” feature? It would be insanely awesome to be able to take a replay of a race, edit the camera angles, and then upload it in HD to youtube.

(oh, and also reduce the rubber-banding on the AI. later ranks in PR were an exercise in frustration. A close race is always good, but man… :P )

Matt Southern 10 June, 2010 @ 6:58 pm

Hi V_Ben,

I’d love a video replay / upload feature but unfortunately it’s unlikely to feature. Let’s not rule it out 100% just yet though as we’ve still got all of 2010 to work on the game.

Milky_Joe 10 June, 2010 @ 6:17 pm   11

I must admit, when I first saw those leaked screenshots of this I thought it was a bit gimmicky, but you’ve managed to get me super-excited now! :D

zerolaff 10 June, 2010 @ 6:17 pm   12

Come on, own up, who leaked it?

giantkiller01 10 June, 2010 @ 6:17 pm   13

Did you want to release the information now? Or were you rushed into it by the leaks appearing on various websites?

Matt Southern 10 June, 2010 @ 6:24 pm

We always planned to announce today giantkiller01. If you scan around the web you’ll see we did an event at Fabric in London last week, prior to the major leaks.

I LOVE MotorStorm Games! ! ! :P

Will there be a ‘in-car’ view with the steering wheel? Like the 1st ever MotorStorm video all those years back;)

imajinetion 10 June, 2010 @ 6:23 pm   15

Will the trophies be abit easier this time around? xD

mew_frenger 10 June, 2010 @ 6:23 pm   16

i liked pacific rift alot.. i have one whish, make an option to make it easier plis! not everyone are hardcore race fans, and multiple difficulty settings would b appreciated. i didnt get halfway thrue the game on pacific rift, it was just too hard.

Matt Southern 10 June, 2010 @ 6:26 pm

This is one of our biggest priorities. I myself am not the greatest racer and was keen to see something accesible and fun for all gamer types.

You’ll see on our global coverage that we’re offering three different playable characters in single-player, and each represents a different difficulty level.

We’re hoping to make online multiplayer more accessible too.

Husaria 10 June, 2010 @ 6:23 pm   17

An exciting announcement marred somewhat by the prospect of vehicle ‘Perks’. Still, with that aside I’m interested in seeing how the game will develop and evolve from previous installments.

Also, help a 3d user in training, how many polygons on the vehicles this time around? :D

SammyDJDrift 10 June, 2010 @ 6:24 pm   18

Great news!

Question, What kind of connectivity will MotorStorm Apocalypse have with PlayStation Home in terms of Home Rewards?

Thanks again

Matt Southern 10 June, 2010 @ 6:30 pm

We’re still designing our Home support! We’ll definitely be supporting Home again, I’ve always been a fan.

mew_frenger 10 June, 2010 @ 6:25 pm   19

by the way, the concept and new features sounds rly good!

I have two questions that I bet lots of people are wondering:

1) The pedestrians running around on the level… Can you plow through them with your vehicles, or is the game PG-rated in this area?
2) Is there finally a proper cockpit view in this game?

I have no hopes of you answering it, but I can always dream. :)

“Combinations of the two. Play with three friends in the living room against 12 more online.”

WOW! I wish more games had that! :P

EmpireNO 10 June, 2010 @ 6:27 pm   22

I loved Motorstorm Pacific Rift, played it to death.

This looks awesome, try to keep it accessible and fun.

Just don’t kill it with endless load times and a useless hub like another game I don’t want to mention because it could be a lot of fun if it weren’t for the horrible load times and the useless hub.

Matt Southern 10 June, 2010 @ 6:37 pm

Hi EmpireNO,

Games have to load! But they don’t have to be boring while they load :) Even when ‘Apocalyse’ is loading we want players to have something to do, either by keeping the lobby live during Wreckreation, or showing cut-scenes between races during the Festival playthrough.

We’ll make the load times as short as we possibly can too.

nerdlegend 10 June, 2010 @ 6:28 pm   23

Nice :)

Would love to see what it turns out like. Never played the series before.

And are we going to see some dev nights as in you play with us.
Something i think PSN should be looking into ;)

Look forward to E3 after all these games are released before E3.

Not hot on racers but this looks like one i could play.

mew_frenger 10 June, 2010 @ 6:30 pm   24

great! will pre-order then.
thnx for answering.

Will there be a beta?

Matt Southern 10 June, 2010 @ 6:41 pm

A beta is something we’d *really* like to do, but we can’t make any promises right now.

THORINATOR 10 June, 2010 @ 6:30 pm   26

wow, screenshots look great!I was thinking motorstorm’s next step would have been a Snowy enviroment. I know Artic edge has been there on PSP & PS2, but now the apocalyptic urban enviroment has been confirmed i’m amazed. Nice evoloution!!

@ Matt Southern
Can we expect to see gameplay in action at E3?

giantkiller01 10 June, 2010 @ 6:31 pm   27

Oh ok cool really looking forward to seeing more of this at e3 then! I loved the first two, some of the best racers on the ps3 in my opinion.

Luis_FFgamer 10 June, 2010 @ 6:32 pm   28

Is this awesomeness only for 2011?? :(

2 bad it was already leaked out 2 kotaku they already posted a pic from this game a few weeks ago considering sony can’t keep any secret most gamers already knew this was coming

Liamario 10 June, 2010 @ 6:39 pm   30

Hi Matt,

Firstly good work. I am glad you are re working the handling, people love a bit of powersliding and I can only hope that this is a major part of this game. The vehicles in the previous games weren’t fun to drive at times and I personally feel that this was down to the handling and a slight lack of weight to the vehicles.
Also, can you please get rid of the rubber band AI, it is infuriating to say that least, especially when you do a perfect race and it makes little difference to the overall result.

Thanks and don’t let me down :-)

Matt Southern 10 June, 2010 @ 6:49 pm

Thankyou!

All the features you mention have had the overhaul treatment. We’ve been watching a LOT of comments about all MotorStorm games in the last couple of years. I’ll try not to let you down :)

is this game gonna have the same online problems pacific rift had where you respawn infront off the player even if you crash cause it ruined the last motorstorm for me so if it’s gonna suck in online like that one i am not buying it

Matt Southern 10 June, 2010 @ 6:44 pm

We’re looking to make online as robust as possible. We’re taking all feedback on board.

spatsnaz 10 June, 2010 @ 6:45 pm   32

Looks fantastic. Pacific Rift is one of my all-time favourite arcade racers. High hopes for this. :P

AaronSOLDIER 10 June, 2010 @ 6:46 pm   33

Is Sony actually going to have ANY games at E3? lol

Sir_Magnum 10 June, 2010 @ 6:50 pm   34

1. Will the game support Playstation Move?
2. Any idea roughly how many tracks will be in the final game?
3. Will there be a cockpit view like that CGI trailer for the original MotorStorm?
4. Are you guys gonna keep in the different events/ modes from the other Motorstorm games as well as add new ones because I loved the speed events from PR and it would be great if they returned.

Thanks, this game looks and sounds brilliant already and a definite buy for me.

JaKhris 10 June, 2010 @ 6:56 pm   35

Awesome-looking Motorstorm, I really enjoyed the second game, though the last races in solo-mode were near-impossible… I hope I can beat this game at 100% this time around. :D
I’ve played all three MotorStorms and I’ve always been a fan. One request though! Don’t you dare forget Pendulum in the game’s soundtrack! :D

Chris

Matt Southern 10 June, 2010 @ 7:01 pm

LOL! Pendulum are awesome :)

We’ve got some really exciting plans for our soundtrack. Watch this space!

Paradise69_PL 10 June, 2010 @ 6:56 pm   36

Holy [DELETED]!It’ll b AWESOME!

Motorstorm 2 is my favorite off road racer, MS 3 will be the best arcade racer ever!

i have a simple question: It will be the view from the cockpit?Do Motorsorm 3 will use the Move?

Greetings from Polish!

daffycare 10 June, 2010 @ 6:56 pm   37

fantastic, hope to see more at e3
off topic does anyone know if i can watch e3 on gametrailers on ps3 browser or will i have to use pc.

vonhammer 10 June, 2010 @ 6:57 pm   38

In my opinion the original was the best game in the first 12 months of PS3,every system needs a good arcade racer at launch,you gus excelled.
Loved PR,and would of loved it more but I had one system failure and my HDD died as I was in the last set of races :(

I do worry the pure racer that was the original has slowly been watered away,but I love the series and cant wait.

All that water in the “bay area” wish I could use it wink wink :)

vonhammer 10 June, 2010 @ 6:59 pm   39

“I myself am not the greatest racer and was keen to see something accesible and fun for all gamer types.”

But keep it has hard as ever for those who choose,a difficulty option would be nice.

Matt Southern 10 June, 2010 @ 7:04 pm

Oh don’t worry about hardcore races – we’ve taken care of that too. The third character you can play as is ‘Big Dog’, a MotorStorm Veteran and one of the founders.

He races against an elite clique of ‘Stormers and they only like challenging, technical races.

We think we’ll have something way better than a simple difficulty setting ;)

THORINATOR 10 June, 2010 @ 7:00 pm   40

Can you give us a rough idea of a release date?

Matt Southern 10 June, 2010 @ 7:06 pm

Only a very rough estimate: should be within the first four months of 2011

Alastair- 10 June, 2010 @ 7:02 pm   41

Cool, this will be my first Motorstorm game. I’ve always wanted Motorstorm but never got round to getting it; this is just what I need.

vonhammer 10 June, 2010 @ 7:07 pm   42

@THORINATOR

I’d guess Feb or March 2011,I think it’s MS3 Feb,KZ3 March,inFamous April,and Starhawk June :) It follow closely what Sony did this year.

quarkquest 10 June, 2010 @ 7:11 pm   43

Oh yeah, motorstorm : http://bit.ly/17Lp6W

racedriving 10 June, 2010 @ 7:11 pm   44

Online 4 player split-screen is awesome!

Is there any chance we will see LAN play this time?
(No, online isn’t enough – not enough space to explain here :))

Will there be public lobbies or will it be matchmaking only?

Demonized 10 June, 2010 @ 7:14 pm   45

I’ve always loved Motorstorm. I got the first game with my launch PS3, bought PR on day 1 and also own AE on my PSP Go

This looks like a really awesome new setting for the game and the mechanics of the city falling apart are very interesting indeed.

I was also really happy to read about the difficulty levels. The ability to progress in the game and learn the tracks on an easier setting and work your way up to Elite Stormer status is great imo and will just make the game all that more accessible and imo add some replay value for some people, not everyone but definitely for some.

Really can’t wait for some gameplay footage etc. at E3

vonhammer 10 June, 2010 @ 7:14 pm   46

‘Big Dog’

Sounds interesting,Matt did you do the E3 stage demo in 08?I know it’s probably early and you cant really discuss.but will there be vids on the Store or disk of the location scouting.The PR ones were beautiful.

Matt Southern 10 June, 2010 @ 7:24 pm

Hi vonhammer,

You are right, it is early :) I’ll push for some Store content ASAP.

It wasn’t me at E3 2008, although I was there in 2005 to promote ‘WRC Rally Evolved’ :)

Osahi_be 10 June, 2010 @ 7:14 pm   47

Already looking forward to it. Not a big racefan, but own and love the previous two (MotorStorm was even one of my first games on PS3 en the one I played and loved the most from my first batch of games). Could be a day one buy, the new concept looks thrilling!

Paradise69_PL 10 June, 2010 @ 7:16 pm   48

race tracks will only be in San Francisco?

Matt Southern 10 June, 2010 @ 7:21 pm

Actually the game isn’t set in San Francisco. ‘Pacific Rift’ was set on ‘The Island’, inspired by Hawaii and other islands, and ‘Apocalypse’ is set in ‘The City’, inspired by many cities mainly on the West coast of the US.

We’ll have more variety, chronology and progression in a MotorStorm game than ever before :)

THORINATOR 10 June, 2010 @ 7:16 pm   49

Thanks Matt, Btw Enjoy your trip to LA. I know it must be a though life heading around the world to promote motorstorm but hey somebody has to do it, lol. I’m definitely in the wrong job.

gofreak 10 June, 2010 @ 7:16 pm   50

Hi Matt,

Can you clarify comments made by your colleague in the Eurogamer.pt video interview? He said for the first time you were supporting 1080p. Is that 1080p native, or upscaled, or…?

Game looks amazing!