Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 5:00pm

PlayStation At E3: 2003

SCEA’s press conference took the crowd from pandemonium to silence in one short hour. When the trailer for Gran Turismo 4 was revealed everyone went wild: it looked predictably and unbelievably gorgeous at the same time, and promised even more cars and tracks than ever before. However, when Ken Kutaragi walked out to announce the PSP, everyone was speechless.

PlayStation had never released a portable system and the PSP boasted a standard of visuals on a par with what people were playing at home, a brand new media format in the UMD (Universal Media Disc) and the ability to play movies and music on the move.

That’s not to say that the PlayStation 2 was forgotten: after GT4 there were two more big hitters making waves – Metal Gear Solid 3 and my favourite game of all time, Resident Evil 4.

We were screeching into the present day and within winking distance of a new generation of home consoles. High speed Internet was whipping into more and more homes and the industry was moving towards its networked future.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

15 Comments 8 Author replies
Show oldest first
almighty-slayer 10 June, 2010 @ 5:13 pm   1

Ohhh good choice of best game of all time, definitely up there for me too.

Who would have thought the PSP could be such a huge success (at least in terms of units sol) back then…~60 million sales isnt it at now? That’s great seeing as Ninty has dominated the market for so long.

James Gallagher 10 June, 2010 @ 5:54 pm

The boat bit was class. This guy knows what I’m talking about.

Milky_Joe 10 June, 2010 @ 5:30 pm   2

Is that Metal Gear Solid 3: Snakes of the Patriots? :P

James Gallagher 10 June, 2010 @ 5:54 pm

Bah! Make one little mistake, twice, and you all keep reminding me of it. Think of my self-esteem! It was pretty dumb though…

spatsnaz 10 June, 2010 @ 5:46 pm   3

“Gran Turismo 4 was revealed everyone went wild: it looked predictably and unbelievably gorgeous at the same time”

Understandable, it still looks gorgeous to this day. :P

Loving these!
Also, Motorstorm 3 just got a preview on IGN and it got me all pant-wettingly excited
Can we expect a big reveal on the Blog with videos and such?
So many games being revealed, makes me even sadder that the Sony E3 Keynote is the night before 2 huge A Level exams :(

Resident Evil 4 was an amazing game. I played it 1st on my mates GameCube[i think it was the GameCube]then it came out on the PS2 and it got it day 1! ! ! :P
& GT4 & MGS3 were amazing to. Keep up the good work SONY. PlayStation4LIFE;)

And still eagerly anticipating 2006 ;)

RobbySpry 10 June, 2010 @ 6:01 pm   7

RE4 is seven years old?!

James Gallagher 10 June, 2010 @ 6:06 pm

Mental eh? It still looks good though; goes to show how art style is more important than pixels and resolutions.

almighty-slayer 10 June, 2010 @ 6:07 pm   8

Boat bit is awesome. I remember mindlessly shooting a few fishes on the river’s edge…Then promptly yelling at what emerged from the water and ate me :D Haha

Luis_FFgamer 10 June, 2010 @ 6:34 pm   9

I’m still in a dream……….. SNAKE EATER!!!!! :D

KylieDog 10 June, 2010 @ 10:46 pm   10

In 2003 Resident Evil 4 was still slated as Gamecube exclusive game. Kind of odd it being mentioned here.

James Gallagher 11 June, 2010 @ 9:52 am

I know but that doesn’t stop it being one of the best games on PS2; I wanted to mention it somewhere and I saw this post as the best time.

Strange unlike everybody else was never a big fan of Resident Evil 4 or 5 after the series went to “shooter” like and all those challenging puzzles where removed. :(

@James: Don`t worry about the Sons of the Patriots it`s understandable after all in MGS4 the system to control the soldiers was called Sons of the Patriots.

EpicMcDude 10 June, 2010 @ 11:29 pm   12

Oh man, you say one tiny mistake and it is remembered for ever.

James Gallagher 11 June, 2010 @ 9:55 am

I don’t mind… maybe I’ll be a more conscientious proofreader as a result.

smokeypsd 11 June, 2010 @ 4:08 am   13

I liked resident evil 4 for wat it was. That was no resident evil. I never picked up 5. Was too annoyed that in the press, they said they would return it to it’s horror roots.

MGS3 on the otherhand. masterpiece

javier_riquelme 11 June, 2010 @ 6:59 am   14

i just drop a tear.
im so proud to be a Playstation gamer

MohammedMK 11 June, 2010 @ 7:50 am   15

I hope Sony wins this E3 as well! Good luck Sony!