Posted 11 June

PlayStation at E3: 2004/05

E3 2010 is tantalisingly close so it’s time to ramp up the tempo. Call it upping the ante or proof that I can’t be trusted with numbers.

Everyone went into E3 2004 looking forward to seeing the PSP in person after it had been announced the year before. Its sleek design and large, bright screen impressed everyone who attended the SCEA press conference and the games announced included WipEout Pure, MediEvil Resurrection and Metal Gear Acid.

Meanwhile, God of War introduced PlayStation 2 to Kratos and, with Killzone only a few months away from release, visitors had proof that there was still plenty of power in that black casing.

E3 2005 belonged to PlayStation 3, albeit with a different controller to the one we all hold today. The High Definition graphics of MotorStorm, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, Metal Gear Solid IV: Guns of the Patriots and Killzone 2 left everyone at the show dribbling and generated the kind of buzz that only an E3 with new hardware can.

However, as is the case when a new console is announced, it can be easy to forget that E3 2005 presented some of the best PS2 games to date. These included Killer7, Okami, Black and Shadow of the Colossus.

Also, tucked away in a corner of the show floor was a sensation in waiting: Guitar Hero.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

16 Comments 2 Author replies
Show oldest first

DANNY3194 11 June, 2010 @ 5:14 pm   1

First! :)

2005 was one epic year for PS3 games!

Milky_Joe 11 June, 2010 @ 5:18 pm   2

You mean Metal Gear Solid IV: Guns of… oh.

It doesn’t seem right that the PS3 was announced 5 YEARS ago :O

GuttermouthSIN 11 June, 2010 @ 5:37 pm   3

Can’t wait to see the embarrassment that was E3 2006.

almighty-slayer 11 June, 2010 @ 5:38 pm   4

5 years since the PS3 was revealed!?! How time flies eh?

Come on James, you’ve got to include Phil Harrison’s ducks demo…a true classic :D

youtube.com/watch?v=7UaDvIPpQnQ

ahhhh shadow of the colossus. AMAZING game. And OKAMI, one of the best games on the PS2.

On a side note, is the Playstation Network still offline? its just that it says its off in the corner :/

I noticed that too. PlayStation Network’s not offline though, I just checked and it’s fine.

SmoggyPhil 11 June, 2010 @ 7:18 pm   8

I remember this. When I only had my PS2 and it was great. It was a console that shocked and surprised, it was a powerful machine, I believed Sony were GODS because they created a machine capable of hours of joy!

Then I bought a PS3 2 years ago, that died in a month, replaced it for a new one, now I get regular online issues, games are half-finished thanks to abilities to patch post-release, glitches are common, and the cheat code, which offered us so much fun after finishing our games, are dead.

Fingers crossed 2010 will show me that wanting a PS3 just for MGS4 (Borderlands and Fallout 3 being the only other games i’m glad I got for it) wasn’t a bad decision. Nevertheless, I’ve loaded my shotgun with some buckshot, and am ready to finally put this spluttering machine down, unless 2010 shows me I might have to believe in Sony again

Gamester101 11 June, 2010 @ 8:16 pm   9

@8

If you’re not satisfied with the games of the PS3, it is not because there is a lack of them. Numerous exclusives and multiplats released this gen have been phenomenal to say the least.You can hardly blame Sony for not releasing games to what must be your very niche taste, more than anything because they have released innovative titles.

DANNY3194 11 June, 2010 @ 8:25 pm   10

Well done James on second place :P

James
As a man with an internet connection and the dexterity to operate a laptop keyboard, I DEMAND to know what tomorrow’s announcements are early
Also, buying another PSP very soon, thanks for reminding me how super cool Ac!d is :)

KillerBread 11 June, 2010 @ 8:29 pm   12

any news on the ps4??? jk

I love my PS3, but “The High Definition graphics of MotorStorm and Killzone 2″ where CGI videos and the “boomerang” was hilarious so glad the controller design was changed to the old and proven design. :)

But Guerrilla Games did an outstanding job in getting as close as possible to the CGI video, amazing job they have done.

MohammedMK 12 June, 2010 @ 8:18 am   14

Killer7, Shadow of the colossus. 2 games that I will never forget. Let’s hope Sony announces ICO and SotC HD in E3!!

VenomXv 12 June, 2010 @ 8:37 am   15

“These included Killer7, Okami, Black and Shadow of the Colossus.”

For some reason, I can’t help but think that you’re hinting at the first PS2 games to show up on the PSN store.

iapetus 14 June, 2010 @ 11:29 am   16

E3 2005 – that was when Sony were telling us all about how PS3 was more than just a games console, that we didn’t need computers any more because we could run Linux on our games consoles, and how that was the most powerful feature of the system, right?