Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 5:01pm

PlayStation At E3: 2006/07

At E3 2006 the full details of PlayStation 3 were revealed and attendees got their hands on the newly-unveiled SIXAXIS Wireless Controller.

Playable games included Heavenly Sword, MotorStorm and Resistance: Fall of Man and Hideo Kojima provided yet another show-stopping moment by showing a trailer for Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots in which Solid Snake appeared to kill himself.

Another sneaky operative, Altair, impressed at E3 2006 as Ubisoft unveiled Assassin’s Creed and we caught a glimpse of the future as The Casting, a technical demo, showed off the uncanny facial animations that would later be used in Heavy Rain.

Meanwhile, there was an impressive line-up of titles for PSP, which had been out for less than a year. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, LocoRoco and more ensured the handheld was a popular attraction on the show floor.

At the time, E3 2006 felt like the end of an era and 2007’s event was dramatically downsized, restricted to 10,000 select games industry professions and moved to Santa Monica’s Barker Hangar.

Still, E3 2007 was a strong event for PlayStation as SCEA presented a stellar range of games and services. PlayStation Home was one of the biggest talking points but the darling of the show was an adorable glimpse at LittleBigPlanet. We also saw Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction and Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune from local development teams Insomniac Games and Naughty Dog.

The show closed with a teaser trailer for inFAMOUS.

E3 2010 is only a few days away, can you taste it yet? Tomorrow we conclude the PlayStation at E3 series before writing the future of gaming on 15 June.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

18 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
almighty-slayer 12 June, 2010 @ 5:03 pm   1

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RAAAAAACEEERRR

yes i did have to do it :)

almighty-slayer 12 June, 2010 @ 5:05 pm   2

Oh and also:

“Genji two is based on actual battles from Japanese history…

…So, here’s this giant enemy crab”

“Attack his weakpoint, for MASSIVE DAMAGE”

Yeah, i’m done now James :D

Ahhh…Genji, you never get old :D

I remember that day well when SONY showed LBP & HOME :) That day seemed the day SONY started to fight back & show the world that they are ‘NUMBER 1′ in innovation! :P

That casting video was always pretty cool. extremely expressive. James, were the trailers today’s “announcements”. just wondering :)

i love MGS4!!! Too bad my ps3 has the yellow light of death :(

bradderz9 12 June, 2010 @ 6:07 pm   7

anybody know if E3 will be live on the t.v?

Roxas598 12 June, 2010 @ 6:14 pm   8

what ever happened to the boomerang controller?

did you throw it away and it never came back?

MalcolmHB 12 June, 2010 @ 7:41 pm   9

Awesome, I can’t wait for E3, there is something so brilliant about seeing Jack Tretton walk out onto that stage. He is great. :D

#7 I think at least IGN is doing live streams of the presentations.

Kamil12l 12 June, 2010 @ 9:25 pm   11

About this year’s E3, I hope there will be many great new games and maybe services for the PS3 or PSP. The games I want to see the most on this year’s E3 are the “Big 3″ Resistance 3 , Uncharted 3 & Killzone 3 (With new controls of course) oh yeah and Medal of Honor. And about Medal of Honor I hope the guys from DICE won’t screw up with the multiplayer just like they did on a very great game called Battlefield Bad Company 2. It’s just the amount of bugs and lags in this game, no matter what internet connection type or speed you have! but I still play it almost everyday XD

PS – Uncharted looks so awesome in this video for E3 2007 !!!

zerolaff 12 June, 2010 @ 10:22 pm   12

Gamespot or Gametrailers are good for streams. All I’ve used for the past few years..

mew_frenger 12 June, 2010 @ 11:14 pm   13

uncharted<3

smokeypsd 13 June, 2010 @ 1:29 am   14

2006 was amazing, if only for Heavy Rain, the wait was long, but waited patiently ever since i saw the casting. I knew it’d be amazing the first I heard about it way back then.

MohammedMK 13 June, 2010 @ 5:59 am   15

I still remember that Heavy Rain trailer .. Great game.

ScaryKids69 13 June, 2010 @ 10:32 am   16

…and then i changed my mind

Bonyman 13 June, 2010 @ 1:36 pm   17

The casting video still packs a punch. I was hooked from the first moment i saw it.

BalramRules 13 June, 2010 @ 9:05 pm   18