Posted 5:01pm

PlayStation At E3: 2008/09

E3 2008 was another low key affair but there was a moment of adorable genius as Sackboy joined Jack Tretton on stage for what must be the cutest financial presentation ever seen.

There were also on-stage presentations of Resistance 2, Killzone 2, MotorStorm Pacific Rift and inFamous, and teaser trailers for God of War III and MAG. By this stage more and more people were interested in downloading their games from PlayStation Store and titles like Fat Princess and Flower made this even more attractive.

With the PlayStation 3 firmly established more third parties were releasing games, resulting in the strongest line-up to date. Standout examples include Mirror’s Edge, Dead Space, Street Fighter IV and Fallout 3.

And then we get to 2009: the last in this series, my first visit and a return to the old format as Los Angeles Convention Centre welcomed tens of thousands of eager gamers.

The SCEA press conference had a bit of everything including new hardware in the unveiling of PSPgo; epic gameplay demonstrations, featuring God of War III and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves; and the shock revelation that Final Fantasy XIV was coming exclusively to PS3.

We also saw ModNation Racers, The Last Guardian, Assassin’s Creed 2 and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker for the first time.

And that brings us rather neatly to E3 2010 which is about to unfold before your eyes and ears right here on the PlayStation Blog. Thanks to everyone that has commented on this nostalgic odyssey; keep smashing the refresh button into oblivion over the next few days as we bring you latest news from the City of Angels.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

24 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
danielmccue 13 June, 2010 @ 5:08 pm   1

i cant wait until the last guardian comes out its going to be a masterpeice

TalllPaul 13 June, 2010 @ 5:12 pm   2

Last years E3 was awesome with some great titles shown :) Cant wait for this years.

spatsnaz 13 June, 2010 @ 5:15 pm   3

TLG trailer still brings man-tears to my eyes. :( Can’t wait for it, seriously.

I have high hopes for the year from Sony

SONY IS THE BEST im sorry but im not a fanboy but i like what sony produces games , gadgets and entertainment and i hope they rally produce something good at E3 they shouldnt have brought out there stuff so early before E3 but maybe they have a surprise public dont know about…

nabil2199 13 June, 2010 @ 6:40 pm   6

I’m ready for a psp2

G-M1N111 13 June, 2010 @ 7:48 pm   7

[quote]the shock revelation that Final Fantasy XIV was coming exclusively to PS3.[/quote]

until tomorrow I guess, like FFv13 ?? :P

BalramRules 13 June, 2010 @ 9:06 pm   8

my favrite 2 e3s (08 n 09)

Toriko!

E3 SONY press conference 08-09 was the best! I hope E3 10 will top it big time.

What can Sony have left when Motorstorm 3, KZ3, LBP2, SOCOM 4,inFAMOUS 2 & MOVE have been reviled. What else can SONY suprise us whit?

8days? The Getaway reboot? I HOPE SO!

smokeypsd 14 June, 2010 @ 4:21 am   11

I think if Kojima’s countdown for this year means even MORE metal gear, my head is going to explode. MGS4 was brilliant, but I honestly thought, apart from a few psp big boss games it was over (could still be right i guess might be another psp outing)

legalisemurder 14 June, 2010 @ 6:44 am   12

I’m hoping that Kojima countdown is going to be for MGS 4 substance or whatever a special edition would be called.
I’d buy another copy if it got vr missions and trophy support.

Stonesthrow 14 June, 2010 @ 7:07 am   13

sony is revolutionary..each new generation of consoles and its software is the top of the line, plus each console generation gets better and better..ps1 was the king back then, after that the ps2 was, and now the ps3..and they just keep on getting better..ps1 was my favorite console back than, then the ps2, now the ps3..and to me this is probably the best console ever (since its still sony, quality hardware and software exclusives, but now with free online gameplay, which is a real evolution for the sony titles..)

it all started getting real to me the day metal gear solid 1 on ps1 arrived..thats when i REALLY got into gaming..Im 24 years old now and i can safely say that -because of the great work sony is doing- ive gotten into gaming even more with the current sony consoles..ive never been playing games so much as with the ps3 online now..thank u sony for making the gaming world a better place all the time..

S-Cript 14 June, 2010 @ 10:48 am   14

I still remember the pro-missed of the videostore for the EU.
after 1 year still nothing
i remember the last years Duke nukem forever announcement of GT5.
after 1 year still nothing.

every year sony promisses a lot, but misses their pro’s

bring phil harrison back !!!!

MairusuPawa 14 June, 2010 @ 11:11 am   15

Just bring back otheros already.

I love that :D Sack-boy is so CUTE! :)

da-wolfdude 14 June, 2010 @ 12:40 pm   17

(Off-topic)

Hey Jeff– The Psp Go email hasn’t come yet…

Ahussain_90 14 June, 2010 @ 12:47 pm   18

I hope they come out with some sort of a collectors edition for the Last Guardian, its practically the only game I’ll consider buying at the full price at release.

Philip99 14 June, 2010 @ 1:13 pm   19

Yeah, but you never bothered to release that amzing E3 trailer for The Last Guardian on the Store, did you Sony? Fail.

SmoggyPhil 14 June, 2010 @ 2:43 pm   20

I wouldn’t call this generation revolutionary, PS3 has had many hiccups, bugs, mistakes and Sony has failed to really outstand in terms of gaining early DLC (eg; Fallout 3, GTA IV)

That being said, I hope that Sony are going to pull a PS2 and prepare to shut the console war down in favour of a Sony victory. Last year really picked up momentum with GoW3, TLG, MAG and even Modnation Racers, so let’s hope this year doesn’t disappoint immensely.

Alluxus 14 June, 2010 @ 4:12 pm   21

That LBP presentation was so cool! LBP2 Presentation this year? ;)

Stonesthrow 14 June, 2010 @ 5:29 pm   22

i think every new generation of sony consoles is somewhat revolutionary, atleast to console gaming..

nintendo is doing its own thing and is turning it more into a casual gaming experience, microsoft is imo just a big sony copy..same kind of consoles, same kind of games..its been like that ever since the xbox (which imo is just an inferiour ps2 with online access..plus i don’t like microsoft’s western policy at all..) and pc gaming is practically dead too nowadays, so if it wasnt for the sony consoles (and their amazing looking exclusives and series) i probably wouldnt be gaming altogether..so if you take microsoft out of the picture (what have they been doing for the consolebusiness? atleast sony raises the bar with amazing exclusives like uncharted 2, killzone, heavy rain and god of war3) what is there? only sony is really giving in to my needs..been like that every generation..

again, thank u sony..

You forgot to mention the reveal of the Move in last years E3 show ;)

XxDARKxxMIDASxX 15 June, 2010 @ 11:23 am   24

re 20 :

I personally would rather Sony plough the approximate $200 million Micro$oft have spent securing TIMED exlusives of C.O.D dlc (twice the cost to make GTA IV) into making brilliant exclusives.

I own both consoles and it seems to me that now Halo and any new IPs Bungie come up with will be multi-format, all they have left is Gears Of Bore, Forza & Mass Effect. That is why I haven’t bought a game for the 360 in over a year.