Posted 29 June

thatgamecompany’s Journey

We were thrilled we got the opportunity to unveil our current PSN project, “Journey” at this year’s E3 in Los Angeles, because we hate secrets and are terrible at keeping them. So now we don’t have to worry *quite* as much, although because we are still in development there are some aspects of “Journey” that still remain a mystery to us. We feel very honored to be able to work at pushing the boundaries of video games to see what other experiences it can provide, and I think you’ll see that “Journey” is no exception to this goal.

Waterfall_2 Rocks

The inspiration for Journey came from Jenova’s feeling that in the modern world where man has so much power, we have lost an integral aspect of the human experience – awe towards the unknown. And we can see this in our video games as well. But don’t take it from me! Here’s Jenova to talk about it more:

In today’s society, man is powerful – We can travel at 60 mph; we can fly; we can connect with just about anyone, anywhere, at anytime. But on the street, people pass by each other ignoring the wonderful existence of other beings. We are overwhelmed by the attention needed to gain and execute our own power – just like we are in most video games. While we are doing that, we can become isolated and insecure deep inside our mind.

On the contrary, when we are hiking in the wild, we become tiny and weak again. These feelings make every other person we encounter much more important and enjoyable. We greet them, giving them genuine and useful help. We might travel together for a period, learn from and rely on each other. Struggling against the dangerous nature together, somehow, makes us warm and powerful inside. (This doesn’t make any rational sense, but somehow that’s how I feel. And I’m sure many of us do.)

While most video games offer the sense of empowerment in the online gaming experience, we felt the player will pay more attention to the other players if they are less distracted by the power, and the online gaming experience will be quite unique if it carries the feeling of awe towards the unknown. In a world where the majority of the players are distracted by technology, evoking a sense of awe and mystery could be very refreshing and powerful.

To realize these goals, we aimed to create a world that feels vast and somewhat unfamiliar. And so the game begins with a character waking up in a desert, with no clues as to what might have happened before or what will happen later. There’s only a tall mountain in the distance, beckoning the player to set out and explore.

Desert Mountain_2

As you travel through the world, you may encounter a stranger who is on his or her own journey. But we don’t want to talk too much about the online experience right now. In part, because we really don’t want to inform your own experience of it; also, because we really enjoy seeing what happens when experiences come without explanation. But there’s plenty of time left for us to talk about it in the future…

Motion_1 Bridges_2

One thing is for certain: we love getting to talk about a new project! It means that we can’t just navel-gaze about our own work anymore. It’s out there. You’re responding to it! And it also means we’re that much closer to getting the game into your hands. So we’d like to extend a HUGE thanks to everyone who has already expressed words of encouragement – they really do help!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

68 Comments 3 Author replies
Show oldest first

Darkscorpius 29 June, 2010 @ 3:05 pm   1

Looking forward to this, it’s looking sweet so far. I love the art style in paticular

sowasred2012 29 June, 2010 @ 3:05 pm   2

When can we see footage from this? The stills look beautiful and I’m really curious about how it looks in flow… (I promise that wasn’t an intentional pun!)

CartBlanche 29 June, 2010 @ 3:05 pm   3

Looks stunning, looking forward to it.

vonhammer 29 June, 2010 @ 3:06 pm   4

The past titles make this instant buy,cant wait.

VictorAnalogy 29 June, 2010 @ 3:10 pm   5

I don’t even need to know what this is. I am desperate for a new ThatGameCompany title.

“Encountering strangers” has a bit of a Demon’s Souls feel about it. I think innovating on some of From Software’s unique online features would be cool.

Do you guys look at what other games have done or do you try to operate inside a vacuum as much as you can?

Kellee Santiago 29 June, 2010 @ 5:33 pm

We definitely play all sorts of games to see what other people are into, for playtesting, and well…. because we’re gamers!

spatsnaz 29 June, 2010 @ 3:11 pm   6

Beautiful, can’t wait!

cthulhu85 29 June, 2010 @ 3:11 pm   7

I’m really looking forward to this. It looks and sounds incredible. :)

Looks great, a definite buy next year. Though surely you could squeeze it in for release this year? ;)

DiscoMcDisco 29 June, 2010 @ 3:18 pm   9

I’m really looking forward to it guys, everything you have done so far makes me smile in some little way and i’m really interested in the way this will play out.

Saber_IV 29 June, 2010 @ 3:20 pm   10

Beautiful art style. Can’t wait!!

Liamario 29 June, 2010 @ 3:23 pm   11

Article needs more gameplay

when can we see a video? hands-on impressions I’ve read indicate it’s already running beautifully.

GutsBerserker 29 June, 2010 @ 3:41 pm   13

Journey is stunning, I’ll buy it for sure. I’d like to see it in motion though, must be even more impressing than the screenshots.

AnimaOnline 29 June, 2010 @ 3:41 pm   14

Sounds really interesting and the concept art looks brilliant. thatgamecompany have yet to let me down. You’re easily one of the more creative developers out there and I’d definitely rank you along side Naughty Dog. I’m sure the game will be fantastic.

GutsBerserker 29 June, 2010 @ 3:42 pm   15

I meant “impressive” of course…

Apnomis 29 June, 2010 @ 3:47 pm   16

First day buy on the back of Flower alone, but by the sound of it this will be another classic in it’s own right!

I hope ThatGameCompany continues to have a long (and preferably exclusive) relationship with Sony and the PSN as their games really set it apart from XBLA. They are the answer to the question “Can games be art?”…

SlipperyFella 29 June, 2010 @ 3:52 pm   17

If I could pre-order PSN games then I’d pre-order Journey straight away! I am seriously excited about it, shame it’s still a long way from release :-(

Danlisa 29 June, 2010 @ 3:57 pm   18

Interesting concept. I’m intrigued. Will follow.

What instantly grabs my attention in the screenshots is the lack of Anti Aliasing. While I have no doubt that this will be improved can you please be sure to add a little polish to the final release. For a 1080p game the jaggies are too ugly to bear.

Waiting for more info.

Wraxend 29 June, 2010 @ 4:01 pm   19

Man i can’t wait for this its my most anticipated PSN game easily. I definatily get Shadow of the Colussus vibe from looking at your screenshots. You guys should consider releasing Flow, Flower and Journey on a blu-ray all together for people who can’t get on psn, not that i’m one of them i love all of your games including Cloud.

sentry-23 29 June, 2010 @ 4:08 pm   20

If I could pre-order on PSN, you’d have my money already :)

sounds amazing!

AdyColclough 29 June, 2010 @ 4:13 pm   22

Looks very cool.

By the way you look a lot like Janice from the Muppets.

This game looks awesome. I can”t wait to play it!

Carnivius_Prime 29 June, 2010 @ 4:20 pm   24

I dunno. It looks ok I guess but I’m not a fan of the company’s previous games. Just not my thing.

SwiftRyu 29 June, 2010 @ 4:21 pm   25

You guys have evolved wonderfully. Each new game adds a new layer to the previous one. Fl0w was microscopic and had a simple meaning behind it. Flower branched out into open fields and was pleasing on a physical and emotional level. Journey is hugely expansive and looks metaphysical, its meaning seems very undefined and purely subjective. Can’t wait.

Bonyman 29 June, 2010 @ 4:35 pm   26

Looking forward to another great game from them

MaikelSteneker 29 June, 2010 @ 4:58 pm   27

I didn’t like Flow, but Flower was great. Keep us updated, I have a feeling this will be an awesome game :D

Sackboypsn 29 June, 2010 @ 5:08 pm   28

Seriously, these are currently the best game developers in the industy by a light year in my view, i really hope they keep making games that are as uplifting and edifying like flower and this one promises to be and avoid doing what practically every other game developer does these days, in churning out what they think everyone wants, but are only infact appealing to people’s lust for the canel excitement of voilence and gore etc.

These canal things we think we want, but only damages our sensabilities inside – where the worst damage can be done by the way, but games like Flower and journey seem to show an acute sensability to what we truly want, but we would not “rationally” realize without experiancing and tasting it for ourselves – Good on you “That Game Company” for standing out in an otherwise dark and negative gaming world!

Focalpoint 29 June, 2010 @ 5:15 pm   29

not interested in online only games being ruined by 12yr old smack talkers, haters and children thinking its amusing to run around in circles for ages or just type ‘lol’ repeatedly.
pass.

U_n_y_o_n 29 June, 2010 @ 5:22 pm   30

Will it have deathmatch?

Guillemots 29 June, 2010 @ 5:49 pm   31

Aaaaw, ThatGameCompany, i love you :oops:
Can’t wait!

I’ll be sure to keep an eye on this, sounds like a refreshing change from the games that don’t attempt to go beyond a brutal bombardment of your senses. :)

danielmccue 29 June, 2010 @ 6:21 pm   33

i loved flower and i’m looking forward to this i love how the world looks can we get an estimated release date?

rileyas 29 June, 2010 @ 6:40 pm   34

i love how thatgamecompany are always pushing the boundary regarding game design and visual style. Can’t wait for this, looks incredible.

Ahussain_90 29 June, 2010 @ 6:42 pm   35

I’ve heard that you got into a bit of a bother with the FlyTrap creator :P

I wish you could pre-order PSN games.

Rude_Sparthan 29 June, 2010 @ 6:44 pm   36

can’t wait for another thatgamecompany masterpiece… ;o)

Carnivius_Prime 29 June, 2010 @ 6:54 pm   37

@28 oh please…

AM_AUTOS 29 June, 2010 @ 7:22 pm   38

OMG this game looks awesome!!!!!

Day 1 buy right there just for the experience

Any news on the Gran Turismo 5 collectors edition for the EU/UK?

SolidFung 29 June, 2010 @ 7:35 pm   39

You guys should think about letting us pre-order PSN games with some pre-order bonus.

Reminds me of the art style on Samurai Jack – looks awesome \m/

agm2502 29 June, 2010 @ 8:31 pm   41

Can’t wait for this game, wish it was coming out sooner!

BoH3MiaNRhAPSdY 29 June, 2010 @ 8:50 pm   42

interesting artwork , what sort of game is journey either way i look forward to see how well crafted this game will be , indie comapnies are the future of the industry

I liked Flow some… I loved Flower! This is a day one for me, can’t wait! Love the concept, love the artwork!

Basarili 29 June, 2010 @ 9:33 pm   44

This looks promising.

This is one title I am looking forward to. :D

TomekPS 29 June, 2010 @ 11:02 pm   46

I really liked Flow and Flower.
I also like the way ThatGameCompany looks at games and creates great things in so many ways.
And also this title seems to be different and i am again very interested.

Keep doing such great games.

Tomasz

I loved Flower (I was hoping for an add-on) ans I´m looking forward to this one!

Akira_Tenshi 29 June, 2010 @ 11:55 pm   48

Flower is a really special game to me and will take some beating but this looks pretty amazing to, hopefully it is also a relaxing game. I like to play Flower when i am stressed out.

*nods* I’m tired of power-fantasy games too. They encourage people to be nasty.. and we really have enough of that in the real world anyway.

SpyDudeFX 30 June, 2010 @ 12:40 am   50

Looks stunning, day one for me. Might I suggest you launch the soundtrack, and a dynamic theme or two on day one? Also consider launching Home content such as that cloak ;)

Load all