Posted 2:36pm

Digital Comics Store Update: 21 July 2010

As I’m sure you’re acutely aware, Comic-Con 2010 is finally upon us. While the whole world (and his/her dog) descends in droves to the San Diego Convention Center, some of us have been left behind to make sure you all have some nice new books to read. Jealous? You bet.

Digital Comics Store Update: 21 July 2010

Luckily, this week sees a veritable plethora of eye-catching new releases to, erm, catch your eye.
Ever fancy sinking your teeth into a nearby nubile neck? Longing for some erotically-charged romance, wry humour and intriguing mystery and suspense? Fill your boots with True Blood, an all-new comic book series based on HBO’s hit show about the lives and loves of vampires, mind readers and all manner of creatures. Bon Temps, Louisiana has never been stranger, or more twisted, in a story co-plotted by TRUE BLOOD series creator Alan Ball, with a script by David Tischman (Bite Club) and Mariah Huehner, and lush art by David Messina (Star Trek: Countdown).

True Blood for PlayStation.Blog

Turning the tables somewhat, IDW also bring us a new volume of Hideyuki Kikuchi’s Vampire Hunter D from Digital Manga Publishing. A new breed of vampire has emerged; one which can seemingly hunt during the daytime. O-oh. Losing the safety daylight offers, panic and mass hysteria begins to grip the townspeople—inciting riots and lynch-mobs. Amidst the turmoil, the enigmatic vampire slayer known only as “D” is called in to investigate.

Jeff Smith’s beloved award-winning epic “Bone” and the ongoing “RASL” make their PSP debuts this week under the Cartoon Books imprint. Jeff will be making a number of appearances during Comic-Con – check out boneville.com for more info.

Matthew Michael “Matt” Murdock, or Daredevil as he’s known to everyone except his dear old mother (who probably calls him “Matty”) leaps out of Hell’s Kitchen once again in the groundbreaking “Without Fear” story arc. Check out the star-studded, triple-sized 100th issue for additional WIN.

That’s just some of the highlights. Here’s the full list.

• 2000AD Prog #1689 – 2000AD
  • The Lexian Chronicles – Markosia
  • The Night Owls #3 – DC Comics
  • The Unwritten #3 – DC Comics
  • True Blood #1 – IDW
  • Vampire Hunter D Volume 2: Chapter #1 – IDW
  • Wildcats #2 – DC Comics

We’ll be blogging and tweeting regularly during Comic-con (we’ve sent a crack team of glamourous spies to get the lowdown) so stay tuned to playstationcomics.com, where you can also see prices, age ratings or the whole catalogue.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

25 Comments 12 Author replies
Show oldest first

pawelgr5 21 July, 2010 @ 3:07 pm   1

I’d love to see any of those on Polish PSS….Why still no info on new coutries for this service??

Pete Stott 21 July, 2010 @ 3:30 pm

Suzzopher 21 July, 2010 @ 3:08 pm   2

Awesome update. Dare Devil, Kingdom Come and Green Lantern for me.

ROBERTWARNES 21 July, 2010 @ 3:09 pm   3

When is Syphon Filter: The Oppossition Effect coming out?

Yeah ! What about Poland ? Digital Comics is great thing ! Please , do something with Poland and other countries.

Any more Fringe comic coming from DC do you know?

Never mind, seen your reply last week. Guess I can get caught up on Batman till then.

Any idea if we will ever see the final part of “Cages” and any more of “The Warriors”?

Darkscorpius 21 July, 2010 @ 3:55 pm   8

Hi Pete, perfect timing with the new stuff, most of the comics I was reading have reached their conclusion or on a break. Hopefully I find something of interest, failing that I’ll fill the gap with more issues of Batman: Hush/Year One, the usual 2000AD and Civil War.

some interesting stuff. Still waiting for transformers;nefarouis to continue, and for Angel to start, any news?

HazelAM 21 July, 2010 @ 4:01 pm   10

still no wonder woman. :( sad face
tell dc i’m coming for them with an invisible jet and lasso of truth if they don’t put her on the store next week, is it lasso or lassoo?
i guess i’ll have to console myself with the next issue of gen 13.
and another free book is always nice.
might take a look at tru blood, i really liked the series, i just love anna paquin’s southern belle accent.

Pete Stott 21 July, 2010 @ 4:18 pm

lasso, I think :-)

Get in touch on Twitter @psncomics – maybe able to sort you out with some Wonder Woman

HazelAM 21 July, 2010 @ 4:04 pm   11

hold on, £3.19 for the tru blood book?
it says it’s 29 pages so it’s not graphic novel length, is that price right?

Pete Stott 21 July, 2010 @ 4:10 pm

We just double checked. Yes that price is correct. I think publishers are experimenting with day and date release comics. They can’t be seen to undercut comic stores too much. DC do the same for some of their comics.

HazelAM 21 July, 2010 @ 4:08 pm   12

and i’m having a problem trying to buy wildcats issue 1, when i click the link nothing happens, i’m using media go.
the link for issue 2 works, but i’m not gonna buy it without being able to buy the first issue.

beardyweirdy 21 July, 2010 @ 4:14 pm   13

any manga heading our way soon

beardyweirdy 21 July, 2010 @ 4:19 pm   14

any naruto, bleach or deathnote coming soon

HazelAM 21 July, 2010 @ 4:27 pm   15

ok left it for a bit after clicking and it gives me this error.
An error has occurred.
(80023017)
i get what you mean with not wanting to undercut the shops with the new tru blood book, it’s just at that price that book costs more on the store than the paper edition would in many comic shops.
it’s up to the publisher of course, but the price has put me off buying.

HazelAM 21 July, 2010 @ 4:30 pm   16

ok it’s working now, turning it off an on again worked.
i’ve seen enough IT crowd that i should have thought of that. >_>

Icarus_Immortal 21 July, 2010 @ 4:33 pm   17

Great content on the store, but I think there is a great “hole” in the Marvel line-up, and a lot of classics are not being pushed onto the store.

If you are taking requests, I (and many True Believers) would like to see:
Annihilation Conquest (complete arc)
Guardians of the Galaxy (vol. 2) #1 ->
Invincible Iron Man (vol. 5) #3 -> (only the first two issues have been published)
Ms Marvel (vol. 2) #9-#50
Nova (vol. 4) #1 ->
New Avengers #1-#64 + Finale
Secret Invasion (complete arc)
Siege (complete arc)
The Thanos Imperative #1 -> (unfinished)
Uncanny X-Men #492 ->
War of Kings (complete arc)
War of Kings: Ascension
Wolverine (vol. 3) #1-#19 (#20 and onwards are already published)
Wolverine: Origins #1 ->
just to name a few ;)

Also: the Ultimate Universe comics are completely absent! Especially Ultimates vol.1-3 should REALLY be published!

Thank you for taking my requests into consideration, and great job for ALL of you who work on the Comics Store!

Pete Stott 21 July, 2010 @ 4:54 pm

Thanks Icarus_Immortal! It’s always great to have feedback like this – it lets us know what to badger the publishers for!

Oh, if we’re requesting. Any chance of seeing Walking Dead on the Store (not sure if this has been asked before)

Also, I see someone watches the IT Crowd :D

HazelAM 21 July, 2010 @ 5:03 pm   19

i tried to get tickets for the recording of the latest series, but they ran out, had to settle for watching it on tv.
the moss on countdown episode was absolutely hilarious, but then they’ve all been funny.
sorry for going right off topic there pete.

Pete Stott 21 July, 2010 @ 5:08 pm

No worries! In fact it’s reminded me that I’ve got the latest episode waiting for me on Play TV. And yes, the Countdown episode was particularly inspired.

“Hiya, sorry we are still waiting for confirmation from the store teams for other territories.”

Maybe you should stop WAITING and be more active. This is taking to long. And what about the question of a ps3 reader. It can´t be that difficult.

Shadowdragoon 21 July, 2010 @ 5:50 pm   21

Sorry for the late replie this week, to much happenig on one day. ;)

The good old ones.
Any news for Scandinavia/Rest of Europa?
Note for Scandinavians, still good idea to post at
http://tinyurl.com/2ukvzfe Yes, you too Swedish people. ;)

Crossregion gifting? come on. you know you want it. ;)

How is it it whit the comics reader for PS3? since noone asked about that in a while. ;)

And how is it going over there? summer any good? temerature is not to hot for you guys i hope.

Oh, and any chance of the comic Mandrake the magician to come on Comics store?

Ravenblade86 21 July, 2010 @ 6:06 pm   22

Hmm yeah see I was going to buy True Blood #1 but IDW just totally lost my sale by looking £3.19 for it :( I was interesting in that as well, but I’m not paying the same or more for the digital version just because it is being released the same day as the print version.

I’ll be getting my weekly 2000AD Prog along with all the Wildstorm World’s End books, so thats Wildcats, The Authority, Stormwatch and Gen 13. Very happy about finally getting to read all those.I’ll also be grabbing Fables #16: Storybook Love #3 which is turning into an amazing story arch, I had only read the first two volumes in trade form before this. Kingdom Come #2 will be the other DC book I get.

I’ll also be checking out Bone and RASL. Didn’t know anything about them really until I checked out the iFanboy episode recently, and Bone especially looked like something I might like. Is it the black & white or coloured versions of Bone we are getting Pete?

Final things on my shopping list this week will be the books from Markosia. Eleventh Hour has been pretty cool so far, lots of different short stories and The Lexian Chronicles is one of my favourite books on the store, it has amazingly beautiful artwork.

HazelAM 21 July, 2010 @ 8:02 pm   23

oh yeah, one more question.
i read dc will be doing a tie in comic book for the dcu game, is there any info on whether or not we’ll see it on the store?

Andy-McK-4ever 21 July, 2010 @ 8:14 pm   24

Great update as always. Personally though, I’m mainly interested in video-game comics. The selection on the store is pretty good so far but do you know if there are plans to add older comics (Adventures of Sly Cooper, inFamous: Post Blast, Darksiders, etc) and upcoming comics (such as Assassin’s Creed and Ratchet and Clank) sometime in the future?

Pete Stott 22 July, 2010 @ 10:27 am

We are getting some Ratchet & Clank fairly soon. I’ve not heard about any of the others, but that doesn’t mean they are not coming

timestoby 21 July, 2010 @ 9:51 pm   25

i hope ps3 gets the comic app,would be silly that only psp gets it. wouldnt it?