Posted 26 July

The AU Video Store Is Heating Up

Green Zone

The AU PlayStation Video Store is really heating up with some fantastic new releases. Everyone knows that the Video Store is updated weekly, but it’s the actual ‘quality’ of the titles being released that really seperates it from all other movie download services. Just take a look for yourself.

Here’s a small selection of just some of the latest additions to the vid store, along with a thumbnailed listing below of what we consider to be some absolute ‘classics’ from the catalogue. Agree? Disagree? Comment and let us know!

• Green Zone (M)
  • Cirque du Freak: The Vampire’s Assistant (M)
  • Brothers (M)
  • Youth in Revolt (MA15+)
  • Crazy Heart (M)
  • Adventureland (M)
  • The Matrix Reloaded (M)
  • Mystic River (MA15+)
  • Alice in Wonderland (PG)
  • Tropic Thunder (MA15+)
  • Watchmen (MA15+)
  • The Hurt Locker (MA15+)

Some of our personal faves now available at the Video StorePS Video Store Movies

Also, don’t forget to check out the Video Store area on playstation.com.au.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

47 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first

Any news about the Dutch store?

Nino Kalogeropoulos 26 July, 2010 @ 5:04 pm

Hi there – in regards to all of the queries about availability of other PSN Video Stores (like Dutch, Danish, etc) there have been no announcements to my knowledge – but I’ll see if I can learn any info from the EU offices (I’m in Australia myself). If there’s any news to be shared – you’ll see it in a future VDS post on this BLOG. Sorry I don’t have any more info to share right at the moment guys. Cheers :-)

What Chrizs said!?

blindAngle 26 July, 2010 @ 12:09 pm   3

Or the danish one?

samich2007 26 July, 2010 @ 12:10 pm   4

Yes what about the Dutch Video Store? I cant wait for it any longer :P

almighty-slayer 26 July, 2010 @ 12:11 pm   5

GamesCom is next month, they will more than likely announce this stuff then!

adumicic 26 July, 2010 @ 12:11 pm   6

I think the store is great, but I can’t understand why all the new releases don’t get rental options?

Also, I’d LOVE to see there be a ‘wishlist’ available, there’s too much good stuff on there!

Dude. The prices are ridicules! No one is going to buy lol. Or even rent. Just being honest.

Nino Kalogeropoulos 26 July, 2010 @ 5:29 pm

Thanks for your comment. In regards to pricing – the Video Store is like any new venture at this stage. Low initial uptake and small user base means that it’s incredibly costly to run from a corporate / infrastructure perspective. It really is a massive undertaking to deliver this video service via the PS3 at this point in time. The encoding / DRM process alone is incredibly painstaking and costly. I was really blown away when I met the video delivery group and learned how much work goes into the service. Hosting & delivery platform costs. Licensing and distribution costs. It’s just a huge operation. I believe that like anything, over time, the costs will come down as the user base grows. cheers :-)

babostainer 26 July, 2010 @ 12:29 pm   8

What about a belgium store? There better be some news when i visit Gamescom :D

knight_spg 26 July, 2010 @ 12:30 pm   9

The selection is great, but all titles need to have a rental option as that’s all I do.

The service has saved me loads of money as I used to buy a lot of DVD’s, and watch them only once.

Please add television shows to the store!

P.S. Keep up the good work!

kingkenny76 26 July, 2010 @ 12:41 pm   10

Irish STORE

The AU store is overpriced all prices need to be at least halved

Blackglasswar 26 July, 2010 @ 1:10 pm   12

hmm…

Adventureland – Rubbish
Tropic Thunder – Trash
Alice in Wonderland – Overrated
Watchmen – Tripe
Contact – Utter garbage

Get some better titles and do as the USA store has, with TV shows from the big networks… I want my PS3 to rival the Sky and Virgin services!!! Mwah haha!!

Nino Kalogeropoulos 26 July, 2010 @ 5:18 pm

ha ha fair call on some of those maybe (tastes are all different) … but how about the other titles listed in the thumbnail gallery?? BladeRunner… Matrix (1)… Aliens? What rocks your world? Tell us and we just might add it to the catalog for you Mr Blackglasswar ;-) cheers for your comment :-)

I TUNES still king for my movie and TV fixes as psn doesnt match up at all

Schnello 26 July, 2010 @ 1:18 pm   14

Austrian Store?

GekooktEi 26 July, 2010 @ 1:18 pm   15

I couldn’t agree more with the first three posts.

But indeed, the new releases for the Aussie Video Store are looking good. Iron Man, The Dark Knight, Lord of the Rings, Aliens, The Matrix… :)

Nino Kalogeropoulos 26 July, 2010 @ 5:19 pm

thanks for your comment GekooktEi…. I think you listed some of my top 5 favourite films right there!

MrLopes 26 July, 2010 @ 1:28 pm   16

:( :( :( :( :( joining the cue of the first three posters..

Yaskael 26 July, 2010 @ 1:38 pm   17

Where’s rest of Europe? Scandinavia already has Voddler, WITH Sony movies on it.

astrocrack 26 July, 2010 @ 1:39 pm   18

When in Portugal?

toolfan2007 26 July, 2010 @ 1:52 pm   19

Getting a bit sick and tired of this Sony, where the Fupping Hell is the Promised IRISH VIDEO STORE!!!!

We want ANSWERS!!!!

Two words:
Dutch Store

almighty-slayer 26 July, 2010 @ 2:57 pm   21

Like i said before: It’s GamesCom in less than a month. If they have any news they will announce it then

dutchguy1982 26 July, 2010 @ 3:02 pm   22

Dutch whore… euh store ;) please!

when are you bastards gonna release it in the other european countries you lazy bums

Lamkers 26 July, 2010 @ 3:38 pm   24

Any news about the Polish store? we can’t wait ;) so give us hope or something :P

Raider197 26 July, 2010 @ 3:58 pm   25

I want this in Ireland. It better be announced at gamescom to be honest. As far as I’m concerned you guys have done absolutely NOTHING in trying to expand the Video Store, it shouldn’t take over a year.

i take it if we get a store like this we also have 2 wait for all those movies 2 so it gonna take forever last year they said it would be in all european country later this year yet we are still waiting

Gief Norway Video Store! :)

S-Cript 26 July, 2010 @ 4:53 pm   28

Again point raised for the upcoming shareholders meeting..

someone please fire the Benelux staff.
Release Playtv in the Benelux,
release the comicstore in the Benelux
release the videostore in the Benelux.
release the Benelux staff.

thanx for the Charlies Angels Code on the Canadian store :)

GutsBerserker 26 July, 2010 @ 5:31 pm   29

Any news about MUBI??

CreamyDingle 26 July, 2010 @ 5:56 pm   30

I think the au video store is great rented Speed Racer in Hd the other day for 5 bucks which is awesome. My only complaint is that some of the movies are buy only, why is that? I don’t buy movies disc based or download but I do rent, make more movies to rent please.

matthewkh 26 July, 2010 @ 9:34 pm   31

What about alternative language choices or subtitle options? I live in Spain and can only watch( badly) dubbed movies in Spanish. Completely useless to me!
Not impressed with PSN to be honest. So much potential, not much achievement.

im really looking forward to be able to buy some of my favourite TV shows in HD. The PS Video store has potential, but not quite there yet.

No sane person would ever BUY something from the store. It costs more than a blu-ray disc! And you dont even OWN the content you BUY!!!
So Nino Kalogeropoulos, you stated the biggest reason for not buying anything…”DRM”.
Besides…its not even available in my country. Why do I even comment? lol

Wazza85 27 July, 2010 @ 1:09 am   34

Any news on when the video store comes to New Zealand? Your from ozzy? Just add as to yours???

SmoggyPhil 27 July, 2010 @ 1:41 am   35

Titles slowly expanding nicely, but too many potholes taking too long to fix (Every country deserves the Video Store, even Antarctica! Penguins need Matt Damon too!)

TV shows needed, competitive prices needed. Video Store needs a massive overhaul!

Although I do want to LOL @ you guys for giving the Canadians Charlies Angels for free. That was an epic trolling cause it certainly can’t have been a reward for something.

EmpireNO 27 July, 2010 @ 7:39 am   36

One could think we were still in the stone agen when Sony can’t even manage to launch a video store for Europe at the same time and with the same content.

Don’t tell me any retarded blabla about legal issues etc… because that just bull and a bad excuse.

There are already serices on the internet that are available in the whole of europe and the “whole” world (at least EU, US), so it’s just bull that it takes time to adjust to each country etc. Don’t adjust to each country, or just make everything available everywhere!!!

People from all over the world live in different countries, e.g. what about this stupid thing in SingStar where some songs are only available in some regions? That’s just silly. There are a lot of spanish speaking people living around the world that would love to buy content that is restricted to one country. There is so many exsamples like that, and Sony isn’t making it easy, the more people find out that a lot of content isn’t available for them the more say f*** this, and go elsewhere to get it. Sony looses a lot of money every day because of this and I would think they’re aware of this.

drezzmann 27 July, 2010 @ 7:54 am   37

This is such a tease.
Going to the EU blog, and getting this in my face :(
I want Video Stor in Norway, so I dont have to get them elsewhere… Yarrr

bluespook 27 July, 2010 @ 8:58 am   38

Hi there.

Will the resident evil movies & the silent hill movie be coming any time soon?

wiiman07 27 July, 2010 @ 10:51 am   39

Here is a thought put AU prices on the Blog cant be that hard surely.. ??

toolfan2007 27 July, 2010 @ 11:18 am   40

It’s funny how the Irish users who want answers are just always being ignored by Sony Staff, seeing as how the big [DELETED] up you made by emailing every Irish person to say that we would be getting the store the very same day as the English Store.

Then of course then all we got was an email then the next day to say that it was a mistake and that we’d hear about an announcement in the summer.

Well the summer is half-way over now and we’ve had no information.

Shadow_Dancer 27 July, 2010 @ 1:11 pm   41

Nino

Do you think you could give us the option of BOTH buying and renting movies? It’s frustrating to decide to rent a movie to watch for the weekend and realise the ONLY option of watching it is if you choose to buy it. Doesn’t that miss the point of purchasing content from the PS Store as opposed to going down to the local video store?

seldinhio 27 July, 2010 @ 1:31 pm   42

If I don’t hear anything from GamesCom about expanding the Video Store then I’m officially of that bandwagon. Now we have a handful of those services in Sweden, and my xbox 360 has it. I’s just a shame that Sony can’t fix this. Sony is whey bigger in Europe then in the US.

BalramRules 28 July, 2010 @ 12:10 am   43

I feel happy for the AU, I remember when us people in the UK were requesting this, and now the AU have it, good for you my friendz =P

HoTkNiFe 28 July, 2010 @ 8:47 am   44

This is so cool!

I had no clue that Australia joined EU, but welcome all of you! :)

Azulcity 29 July, 2010 @ 12:46 am   45

Please please please allow films in original version/English outside of the UK!

I dont want to watch films in Spanish, this could explain your slow uptake also.

I want to use it, but until you fix this, I wont and ill rent DVD´s!

TheKillerSnowman 3 August, 2010 @ 2:30 pm   46

when do we in sweden geting this?

“It really is a massive undertaking to deliver this video service via the PS3 at this point in time. The encoding / DRM process alone is incredibly painstaking and costly. I was really blown away when I met the video delivery group and learned how much work goes into the service.”

So not only are you providing your customers with broken files, you expect them to subsidise that process? Hah. Ahh well, good luck with that jimbo. At some point hollywood will realise all this copy protection is too expensive, doesn’t work, and really only harms legitimate customers.

I thought the whole point was that digital distribution was cheaper by cutting out the middlemen and cutting out the physical production, wear and tear, shipping, storage, and so forth. If you can’t beat the local video shop for speed and convenience AND cost by A GOOD MARGIN, why would anyone bother? And quite frankly, you must be doing it wrong considering how cheap cpu cycles and drives are these days.

I’d be a prime target – don’t go to video shops, can’t be bothered with downloading other ways, and earn good money. But I know when i’m getting ripped off. Besides, SBS has more interesting movies than all those hollywood borefests.