Posted 4:00pm

Introducing Earthworm Jim HD

Remember playing Earthworm Jim during the glorious 16-bit era? How about battling Major Mucus and Evil the Cat? Or saving Princess What’s-Her-Name?

If you don’t recall ever playing Earthworm Jim, I can only shake my head with utter sorrow. Who else but an ordinary earthworm can transcend fleeing from crows and eating dirt to become a mutated superhero? Cue the dramatic music.

EWJHD_logo

Gameloft gave the single-player campaign an HD facelift. Including all the original levels, you can venture into three exclusive levels in a never-before-seen setting. Get your Plasma Blaster ready for some trigger happy times.

EWJ_01

Not one for solo adventures? Gameloft has you covered. Earthworm Jim HD offers local and online 2-4 player co-op gameplay in 15 multiplayer levels! Team up with your buddies to, you know, launch cows or madly whip space ships. Did I mention launching cows?

EWJ_02

Simply strap into the Ultra-high-tech-indestructible-super-space-cyber-suit (Super Suit for short) and be prepared to take down Psy-Crow! Earthworm Jim HD will be hitting the PlayStation Network on July 28th at an awesome price of €9.99/£7.99!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

58 Comments 13 Author replies
Show oldest first
sean14528 27 July, 2010 @ 4:02 pm   1

niice, too me day 1

There is a god!! I used to play this non stop on my megadrive! Thank you so much!

Jennifer Kye 27 July, 2010 @ 7:03 pm

Gameloft folks have been gunning for this game, especially because of all the fond memories. We’re glad you’re just as excited as we are about this classic!

Roxas598 27 July, 2010 @ 4:10 pm   3

Demo?

Groovy

I have not played the game in years. I might get it if I have the funds.

I have to watch the cartoon again as well. Evil the Cat is my favourite. :)

sean14528 27 July, 2010 @ 4:16 pm   5

jennifer is there any chance you guys at gameloft can maybe bring some great games ive bought for my ipod touch too psn as either full games or minis titles ,

best ones are

real tennis
real football
gangstar west coast hustle
lets golf 2
skater nation
csi miami
blades of fury
new york nights
midnight bowling
zombie infection ( especially this 1 )

ive bought all these for my ipod and would happily buy them all again if you brought them too psn as full psn games or minis . thank u

Jennifer Kye 27 July, 2010 @ 7:06 pm

We’re happy you enjoy our titles on your iPod touch! Thanks for your suggestions on games! Currently, we’re working on bringing more titles over to PSN.

Croopnick_PL 27 July, 2010 @ 4:20 pm   6

I love Earthworm Jim cartoon, and I didn’t have opportunity to play Earthworm games so definitely “must have” for me…too bad I don’t have money right now :/

Carnivius_Prime 27 July, 2010 @ 4:23 pm   7

A classic platform shooter now with added 4 player mode? I’m thinking you can have my £7.99 right now.

Wright316uk 27 July, 2010 @ 4:23 pm   8

the only thing that is putting me off from getting this is the voice it just doesnt sound rite

Jennifer Kye 29 July, 2010 @ 12:24 am

While we remained true to the original rendition of Earthworm Jim, the whole soundtrack, including music and sound effects, were all reworked to fit the new technical standards. That is why it sounds different from the original.

Carnivius_Prime 27 July, 2010 @ 4:24 pm   9

Also the HD graphics look a lot more fitting from first impressions than some other ‘HD’ games like SFII HD (which i set back to the pixels)

sensiblade 27 July, 2010 @ 4:26 pm   10

AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Now all we need is Lucasarts to do Grim Fandango and a perfect port of SWOS 96/97 euro championship edition and i can have a perfect set of my fave classics!

Roxas598 27 July, 2010 @ 4:26 pm   11

7.99 on PSN

6.85 on XBL

hmmm what is the extra £1.14 for >.>

is keyboard cat a boss? or was that just a random cat playing keyboard at the end?

greyness123 27 July, 2010 @ 4:27 pm   13

excellent

it’s probably cheaper on xbox cause microsoft decides the price point most off the time especialy considering they like make hotages out off small game developers just look at joe danger

Salty500 27 July, 2010 @ 4:34 pm   15

isn’t it because publishers have to pay for the bandwidth when they put something on the psn and not on xbl ? bby what a classic game to re-make well done gameloft :D

most likely gonna buy this considering sony europe never release any good games and this is atleast a very good game

Salty500. MS extract their pound of flesh in other ways.

Salty500 27 July, 2010 @ 4:43 pm   18

just a pound ! ? X201 last time i heard MS where extracting arms and legs, honest to god … limbs !!

TrulyALie 27 July, 2010 @ 4:44 pm   19

You’ve taken my childhood and put it in HD. You are amazing people.

Megakizz 27 July, 2010 @ 4:45 pm   20

good old interplay keep pretending you exist

microsoft exploits it’s consumer without them knowing it diden’t xbox have advertisments in their xmb like menuthey probably make enough from that and the amount off subscribers

C_L_O_U_D_M_A_N 27 July, 2010 @ 4:45 pm   22

GROOVY!

Looking fantastic, co-op looks cool too. Can’t wait to play Junk City again…

Jennifer Kye 27 July, 2010 @ 7:01 pm

We wanted to make sure to keep classic elements of the game in place, so you’ll definitely be able to visit Junk City! Co-op is a feature we wanted to add to keep the game fresh. Cheers!

Eighty-Es 27 July, 2010 @ 5:11 pm   23

Dope. Will definitely grab it tommo.

Eighty-Es 27 July, 2010 @ 5:11 pm   24

BTW: Is the co-op mode only local oder will there be online aswell?

Carnivius_Prime 27 July, 2010 @ 5:13 pm   25

@eighty-es

‘offers local and online 2-4 player co-op gameplay’

xchris2008x 27 July, 2010 @ 5:14 pm   26

1 and half months too late.

VictorAnalogy 27 July, 2010 @ 5:21 pm   27

The eternal question…will this get a PS Plus discount in the near future? Or should I buy it day 1?

SpiderMike_X 27 July, 2010 @ 5:22 pm   28

Not really. A PS3 release date was never confirmed till today. Whether it’s been releaseed on another system is a non issue. Unless ppl expect everything the same time as when those other systems receive them.

Hell-Raiser-85 27 July, 2010 @ 5:28 pm   29

A must for me. Any trophys?

Jennifer Kye 29 July, 2010 @ 12:27 am

Yes, there are trophies! There is a total of 12 trophies to win. Good luck!

Carnivius_Prime 27 July, 2010 @ 5:28 pm   30

xchris2008x: it’s never too late for Earthworm Jim. me and my buddies want tomorrow to hurry the heck up already.

Super--Brad 27 July, 2010 @ 5:29 pm   31

Checked out the flickr images and this doesn’t look HD, just scaled.

Is it just me?

Jennifer Kye 29 July, 2010 @ 12:28 am

Earthworm Jim was reworked for true HD. So nope, it isn’t scaled.

cant wait to blast me some mutants :) oh yess

mango1234 27 July, 2010 @ 5:42 pm   33

PSN games to download
- Blacklight Tango Down
- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World The Game
- AND THIS! :)

Is it for all of europe or just the countries listed?

da-wolfdude 27 July, 2010 @ 6:02 pm   35

Hey just wondering… is interplay getting any of the money or is gameloft getting all of it?

Jennifer Kye 29 July, 2010 @ 12:29 am

Interplay is definitely getting their share. We developed the game under their license. It wouldn’t be fair otherwise.

Bovrillor 27 July, 2010 @ 6:24 pm   36

Price seems rather steep for such an old and short game.

Completely off topic, but tbh I’m not sure where else to suggest it, any chance of getting the option to mute voice chat on PS3? I’m utterly sick of noisy morons ruining every game I play online. It’s not like you can even block them!

Scuffy_P 27 July, 2010 @ 6:38 pm   37

Same EWJ that’s been available on XBLA for 6 months already? Pull you’re finger out SONY. This is getting tiresome.

Being a multi platform owner, as many people are these days, SONY are loosing money hand over fist due to games being released on the 360 months before the PS3. Naturally, I always buy the game for the 360, as I don’t want to have to wait 24 weeks before i’m given the chance to buy it for the PS3.

Monkey Island 1 is a perfect example, as it was nearly a year before it was launched on PSN. Total joke.

PSN+ EWJ Free maybe….. never PSN+ as not delivered so far only offering crap at discount prices what’s been out ages.

Does this Jennifer Kye only come in to answer people that are not moaning because there happy with anything. scuffy_p is spot with the xbox situation and not only that people in Europe are always a week or so behind usa (ps store content) , whys that ? we all pay good money.

Jennifer Kye 29 July, 2010 @ 12:38 am

Apologies if the responses have been slow. I’m currently working from the San Francisco office here in the US. Accounting for the time difference! As for the situation between XBL and PSN, there are a myriad of reasons accounting for different release dates, ranging from development cycles to licensing. Sony and Gameloft work together to release quality titles on PSN. The last thing we want to do is release something before it’s ready to go public. We enjoy our partnership with Sony, and certainly don’t mean to ruffle any feathers!

after reading Noctai post i was also wondering for what countries is this game

Vaistrat 27 July, 2010 @ 8:20 pm   41

Could you please tell your technical guys to include “custom soundtrack” as a feature in a hipothetical future update to the game?

As much as I appreciate the effort in making a soundtrack rendition, I own the original sega cd special edition and I prefer Tomy Tallarico’s old remix.I guess it was legally impossible for you guys to get the EWJ Special Edition OST, so, being a non hardware taxing game, I suggest custom soundtrack if anything is going to be implemented in a game update…

Jennifer Kye 29 July, 2010 @ 12:40 am

Thanks for your suggestion! We know fans wanted the original soundtrack, however in order to fit new technical standards, we had to rework the music and sound effects.

Carnivius_Prime 27 July, 2010 @ 8:43 pm   42

@Bovrillor: i disagree with the first bit of your message. The game is a classic and far more playable than most games I’ve played today which have been full price things in the store. Plus the wotk gone into making it HD and adding multiplayer I think it well deserves the £7.99 price which is still cheaper than a lot of PSN games lately.

However I agree with the second bit of your post. I hate voice chat in games myself. Unless it’s with friends I can trust to use a microphone sensibly it totally destroys any enjoyment of any multiplayer online game I might be playing. A PSN friend list only option would be much appreciated in the XMB so it works for all games

Carnivius_Prime 27 July, 2010 @ 8:46 pm   43

@Scuffy_P 6 months? My xbox owning friend says it came out in June which isn’t long ago at all.

nem0905 27 July, 2010 @ 8:47 pm   44

OMG JINKY ^____^ Good to see you in the BLOG!!!!! Cant wait for this game!!! any other deets you can give? :p

“Look they’re meatballs”

ShoaibO 27 July, 2010 @ 10:18 pm   46

Defitnely getting this, has anyone read any reviews yet?

Pure_Mind_Games 28 July, 2010 @ 1:01 am   47

I’d love to say “DAY 1!” unfortunately I can’t, however once I have the cash it’s mine, I played the Mega Drive game a while ago got to the underwater level, I could get past those gorillas or whatever, back in day I used to be able to make it to at least the 1st sub (once made it to the 2nd :D).

TABBYG87 28 July, 2010 @ 6:23 am   48

Any news when it’s coming out in north American I’ve been waiting for this game since day 1 n th sony US never answeres me please tell me something

Jennifer Kye 29 July, 2010 @ 12:42 am

Check out the SCEA PlayStation Blog on July 29th, 2010 for the US release date! It’ll be coming out on PSN real soon.

MrLopes 28 July, 2010 @ 7:38 am   49

I just have one thing to say this is Awesome.. I used to play this a lot with my friends back in the day..

MoneyMarko 28 July, 2010 @ 9:59 am   50

The price is ridiculous, this game is worth £4-£5 MAX!

Load all