Posted 4:02pm

Get Ready For MotorStorm 3D Rift!

Hi everyone! I’m Simon Benson, Senior Development Manager in the SCEE 3D Team, and I’m excited to reveal that we’re bringing our favourite MotorStorm Pacific Rift races to life in true stereoscopic 3D. You may already be aware that the jaw dropping 3D racing in MotorStorm Apocalypse is coming in 2011, but to fill the gap with equally stunning 3D racing right now, MotorStorm 3D Rift is coming to PlayStation Store next week!

MOTORSTORM_3D_Rift_Small

MotorStorm 3D Rift lets you experience 10 MotorStorm Pacific Rift tracks in stunning 3D and features a selection of festival-favourite off-road vehicles: Bikes, Buggies, Racing Trucks and Monster Trucks – the latter being my personal weapon of choice when racing across the dangerously unpredictable jungles, beaches, waterfalls and volcanic wastelands served up by this particular tropical island.

There are 10 unique events to compete in (one for each track) and we have included the full range of competitor difficulty levels through the races so you can enjoy the brutal off-road racing at your leisure, or take on the challenge of the toughest and most competitive rivals. With 3D gaming though, you’ll have the edge.

Through stereoscopic 3D you can naturally judge your speed and proximity, which is extremely useful when trying to avoid being side-swiped by a rampaging Racing Truck, ramming a rival Buggy into a cave wall, or timing when to get back on the accelerator as you take a tricky corner. When you are riding a Bike, it’s obvious what you can and can’t duck under – even at high speeds. When you are sitting behind the wheel of a Monster Truck, you get to feel just how monstrous it is – looking down on a rival Buggy just before they disappear under your super-sized wheels.

grab000524

If you’ve played the 3D Collection demo and wanted more tracks and a greater challenge, you need to pick up MotorStorm 3D Rift. If you haven’t, you’ll be blown away by the sense of speed as you fight through the sublime tropical island setting and RIP it up in 3D paradise.

Nothing beats the 3D gaming experience, but if you don’t yet own a 3D TV and you want to get a taste of MotorStorm Pacific Rift, then I can assure you that 3D Rift is still wicked fun on a ‘normal’ TV. Check out this video of the adrenaline fuelled MotorStorm Pacific Rift in action…

We hope you’ll enjoy it as much as the team here has enjoyed working on it and look forward to bringing you more breath-taking 3D racing action your way with MotorStorm Apocalypse next year!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

53 Comments 8 Author replies
Show oldest first

Any info about the price? ;)

Phenom_Evolution 23 August, 2010 @ 6:16 pm

Correction: I posted the wrong UK price in an earlier comment and it’s actually £9.99 / €12.99.

Munders12 23 August, 2010 @ 5:05 pm   2

This will fill the ‘rift’ nicely ;)

Phenom_Evolution 23 August, 2010 @ 5:32 pm

We’re glad you think so, it really adds a new dimension to brutal off-road racing. ;)

so we can play 3D Rift on a non3D TV? how?

oh wait, nevermind, for a second i thought we could somehow have 3D on a non 3D tv, but its just in 2D.

Instant-buy. I don’t have a 3DTV but I heard on the US blog it’s $9.99! Very very nice. :)

Next week or the 25 of August? Kind of confusing, but still great news!

Phenom_Evolution 23 August, 2010 @ 5:40 pm

To clarify it’s 25th of August, so on PlayStation.Store this week.

TehPhilosopher 23 August, 2010 @ 5:18 pm   7

At least there’s a non-3D option for the ~10% of the population who don’t have stereoscopic vision and probably more who get nauseous, and even more who’d prefer to have high-quality HD graphics instead of the necessarily crippled quality of 3D.

Phenom_Evolution 23 August, 2010 @ 5:52 pm

The non-3D option is real HD, so even without a 3DTV you can enjoy racing on the beautiful yet dangerous Pacific Island tracks. :)

Pixelgladiator 23 August, 2010 @ 5:22 pm   8

Will there be a patch for the non 3D retail version?

Ugh £12.99 really? There is still chance to change this. :(

$9.99 = €7.89/£6.44

:’(

Phenom_Evolution 23 August, 2010 @ 6:25 pm

My mistake (apologies!), it’s £9.99 / €12.99. I’ve amended the first reply accordingly…

Wait, so it’s $9.99 but £12.99? How did SCEE come up with that one?

WOO! That sounds awesome! … If I had a 3D-tv…

I can’t believe I’m actually getting REALLY psyched about 3D and Move! … DAMN YOU, SONY!

Liamario 23 August, 2010 @ 5:45 pm   12

Price discrepancy to say the least. Wasn’t buying it anyways (pointless creation if you ask me), but you are asking EU owners to pay at least a 3rd more than the US??
Yeah, that’s not going to happen

SlipperyFella 23 August, 2010 @ 5:59 pm   13

The £12.99 should be the least of your problems, how about the £1000+ for a decent 3D tv? :-P

Rude_Sparthan 23 August, 2010 @ 6:00 pm   14

..but is this a DLC or what..? It’s not good to pay 12.99 for a patch.

SIR-DARK-HAZE 23 August, 2010 @ 6:08 pm   15

Any chance of updating Pacific rift? for free or at a cost, but free would be nicer

#14 – it’s neither.

It’s a full ‘game’ with 10 tracks from the Motorstorm game, Pacific Rift but they have made them 3D.

LAClennell 23 August, 2010 @ 6:16 pm   17

any trophies?

Basket21 23 August, 2010 @ 6:19 pm   18

Hm i already own the retail normal version.

Is this any different besides the 3d option?

If not .. will there be a patch for the retail version?

Phenom_Evolution 23 August, 2010 @ 6:43 pm

Hi Basket21, nice to hear you’re a MotorStormer already! ;) This is different to what you have; 10 of the tracks featured in Pacific Rift have been developed in stereoscopic 3D exclusively for MotorStorm 3D Rift. There are no plans for a 3D update to Pacific Rift on Bluray, but MotorStorm Apocalypse will support 3D racing (coming in Spring 2011).

Sounds cool but i don’t have the cold hard CA$H for a HD-3D-TV :(

djreplay 23 August, 2010 @ 6:40 pm   20

The 3D tvs are coming down in price, a Samsung 40″ is going for £800 on amazon.

MobileTone 23 August, 2010 @ 6:46 pm   21

FREE PATCH for existing Ms:PR owners. i refuse to buy the same mediocre game twice.

Basket21 23 August, 2010 @ 6:47 pm   22

Heh phenom

so if i plan to buy a 3d tv next year in january for my birthday ..

i might as well get this too cause i have 2 motorstorm games in 3d then?

Pacific rift and apocalypse

#21 – nobody is forcing you to buy anything.

Some people!!!

remanutd5 23 August, 2010 @ 6:56 pm   24

Motorstorm Apocalypse 3D demo included ?

remanutd5 23 August, 2010 @ 6:57 pm   25

any DLC coming to Motorstorm Arctic Edge ? a patch to play with online with our PSN friends perhaps ?

For those who care ive got the 3d demo and it seems theyve had some with extras on the tracks, as kanaloa bay now seems to have helicopters and stunt planes (with smoke) flying round. ps apocalypse is looking amazing in 3d (got to play at beta rooms)

Sniper_at_w0rk 23 August, 2010 @ 7:27 pm   27

Send me a Sony 3D TV for my birthday and I’ll buy it :P

Bovrillor 23 August, 2010 @ 8:39 pm   28

So basically if you don’t have 3D this is an epic rip-off. Pacific Rift can be obtained on ebay for less, and has more content.

Phenom_Evolution 24 August, 2010 @ 7:20 am

This is MotorStorm *3D* Rift! :) If you don’t have a 3DTV, you can still enjoy the intense and brutal off-road racing, but I would agree that you’d be better picking up MotorStorm Pacific Rift on Bluray instead (which is available in the Platinum Range).

Paulus-NL 23 August, 2010 @ 9:12 pm   29

well this looks like a motorstorm game. and that is a good thing. but (now it comes :P) the new motorstorm game isn’t a motorstorm game. it is just a Split/Second copy :S

Phenom_Evolution 24 August, 2010 @ 7:58 am

Stay tuned to PlayStation.Blog for MotorStorm Apocalypse news & info. It’s still true to what MotorStorm is and has always been: an intense and engaging no-holds barred racing event in a spectacular, dangerous and unpredicatble environment – only this time the off-roading includes concrete, tarmac & glass (as well as dirt, mud, sand and all the rest, of course). :)

whereismax123 23 August, 2010 @ 9:53 pm   30

Ssweeeet..100%awsome I have played the 3d demo so many times and longed for more.motor storm its by far the best example of 3d on the playstation so far I have pr all ready but will buy othis just for how good it is in 3d.i know its not easy working with 3d but evolution have so far been the studio that has shown how to do it well.roll on wednesday

Dammit…. I am so close to buying this. If it had trophies it would push me over the edge.

I have no willpower. Ill probably get it anyway. :|

Is this DLC or a separate game, I don’t own any motorstorm titles, but this looks good

@7
I prefer the “crippled” 3d in the Pacific Rift demo. It looks cleaner and crisper than the 2d version, and that’s before you look at the more obvious benefits of 3d. It’s very impressive.

whereismax123 24 August, 2010 @ 12:05 am   34

Go to agree with the apocolipse demo being included.it there and ready to go as its been played by the public at the recent events.but I’m guessing its too late for it to be considerd…shame as it could of been a massive selling aid for the non 3d owners who have played pr all ready.

bradso234 24 August, 2010 @ 1:11 am   35

when is the 10 level 3d ms game coming 2 the uk can u let me know thanks

I was expecting a £7 or £8 tops cause it’s $9.99 in the states hmm anyhoo sounds sweet tho. Wish i could afford a 3D LED tele tho :( for full experience, saw Pacific Rift 3D demo in a shop and looked awesome

TehPhilosopher 24 August, 2010 @ 10:27 am   37

Thanks Phenom for confirming the non-3D option is real HD – I have MS for PSP, and this is something I’ll definitely get for PS3 now!

This exchange rate is crazy $9.99 = £ 9.99 = €12.99 ??? I am sorry, but since when is the USD stronger than euro or equal to GBP???

Can i please ask

Im lucky ive just boughta 3d tv,

can you please tell me when teh PS3 firmware update is coming to allow me to watch 3d blue rays on my PS3.

And this 3d rift pack does it include Apocalypse demo and 10 old tracks in 3d., has it been improved from the 3d Pacific Rift track demo before

thanks

This exchange rate is crazy indeed.
It should be called Paystation…

Goldrusher 24 August, 2010 @ 7:20 pm   41

If you’re going to charge for a demo, at least put some trophies in it AND patch 2D into the actual game.

Goldrusher 24 August, 2010 @ 7:21 pm   42

I obviously meant 3D.

Creative_ae 24 August, 2010 @ 9:10 pm   43

Awesome version of 3D..

Sorry but you going to charge the same in US dollar as in UK pounds?

I mean its bad enough when the price figure is $10 and £8 on most things (when it should be ~£6.50).

…but now the exact same figure? $10 = £10?

Go rip someone else off, hope no one is stupid enough to mug themselves off like this.

IIKillerClown 24 August, 2010 @ 11:01 pm   45

@KylieDog I think it will be worth £10 for it to be honest with you, especially if you have a 3D TV. There’s not a lot of 3D Gaming content out there at the minute, so it’s pretty good. 10 Tracks also, so only £1 per track. You can’t complain really…

General question: Is the 3D Mode in Full HD like the 2D Mode or is the quality lowered for the 3D?

Not one person has mentioned if you can play your own custom music in this game!? Wipeout & Super Stardust let you play your own songs…This game???

whereismax123 25 August, 2010 @ 10:59 am   47

i can confirm that you cant

lillington 25 August, 2010 @ 12:03 pm   48

So when is this released. “MotorStorm 3D Rift is coming to PlayStation Store next week”

OR

“MotorStorm 3D Rift is due to be released exclusively on PlayStation Store on 25th August 2010.”

??

Basket21 25 August, 2010 @ 2:02 pm   49

MotorStorm 3D Rift ($9.99) on US Playstation Network
MotorStorm 3D Rift (£9.99/€12.99) here…

12.99 EUR = 16.4230 USD
9.99 USD = 7.90171 EUR

??????

This is all very new to me and this article really opened my eyes.Thanks for sharing with us your wisdom.

Load all