Posted 16 September

3D Blu-ray 3D Disc Playback Support For PS3 Announced

It has just been revealed at the Tokyo Game Show SCEI SCEJ media briefingpress conference that PlayStation 3 will support 3D Blu-ray 3D Disc playback from 21 September 2010, through system software update 3.50, allowing you to watch movies in stunning stereoscopic 3D.

PlayStation 3 already supports stereoscopic 3D gaming, with games such as MotorStorm 3D Rift, WipEout HD and SuperStardust HD available now and upcoming titles such as Killzone 3 and MotorStorm Apocalypse set to take advantage of this immersive new technology. 3D Blu-ray 3D Disc playback, in addition to stereoscopic 3D gaming, and stereoscopic photo support add up to thewill deliver users with total 3D package for PS3 owners.

We’ll have more detailed information very soon.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

34 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
XxDeathDoctorxX 16 September, 2010 @ 7:07 am   1

since i know on the american blog they wont reply most likely is their any other features coming with it? besides that

Wow, you guys were hasty to get in an update that disabled “The Breaking of the Jail”
You couldnt even wait for the 21st so that we didnt have to download 2 updates.

Anyways, this is good news, I will look forward to using it when I get enough $$ for a 3D TV.
Hopefully prices will come down soon.

Ico & Shadow Of The Colosus officially announced HD/3D remake…. WOOOOHOOOOOOOOooooooo

ammarhumadi 16 September, 2010 @ 7:18 am   4

Guys, Please reply to my post.
I am a very loyal Playstation follower. I have PSP 3000 and PSP-Go which I love. PS3, Dualschock3, 3D Bravia HX 46″, and got the move yesterday. I believe that I have earned the right to be listened to.
I want the PS3 to support blutooth stereo headsets. I want to play my games or watch my movies loud without annoying other people in the house. If it is impossible then at least you can just say it. otherwise, please include it in the update.

Thing IS… there is just such a big lag of content for 3D, it’s not even worth having a 3D TV.
My friend has one & he watches the same 2 3D Movies over and over again. okay 3D Rift is so cool & SuperStardust HD but you just don’t find anything else in 3D!
Uuuuuh… 2 more games releasing in 3D, wtf?! That is nothing!
You got like a 3000 buck set up but you can only watch 2 movies n play a few games that you finish in 1hour.

I say people to wait at least another year until it’s even worth owning a 3D TV set up.

Oh yeah and the best news is: AVATAR will be coming out this December on 3D Blu-Ray. WAIT for it – EXCLUSIVELY on Toshiba TV set ups! Isn’t that just awesome? NOT!
3D is set to fail, again! Damned!

We need Cross game chat!!! in 3.50… make.believe ;-)

@4
I’m sorry to say that if Sony wont listen to 19,104 people who want cross-game chat, then they wont listen to one.
I’ve had many good ideas for the Playstation franchise, but they never listen to the ‘little people’

Heck, the share ideas thing on the US blog is a joke. They havent implemented a single idea. Yet they claim there are 29 ideas in action. These 29 were already happening, and not a result of the share ideas. They just want to make it look like they are listening.

Long story short, unless you are a big business with something to offer, they will not listen.

Sorry for the bitterness Sony, but you know its true.

“Tokyo Game Show SCEI SCEJ media briefingpress press conference ”
Slight error there?

WHO CARES…WE NEED GT5 WEATHER VIDEO IN HD ASAP!!!!!

ammarhumadi 16 September, 2010 @ 7:38 am   10

@6
I do get what you are saying about not listening to the small guy with a single idea. and I do get what you say about cross-game chat, but at least sony mentioned the feature more than once and said that they are working on it.
I can not see the PS3 not being able to use blutooth stereo headset when my PSPGO can! I just want someone to acknowledge the feature at least and comment about future possibility or just say that I will never get it. PS Plus member :) in SONY I believe.

@9
Quite right, a little acknowledgement would be nice, but I feel Sony don’t have the PR skills they once used to.

Is that it @ TGS 2 things on EU-Blog this ico/soTC-classicsHD & this really Old news. we already know about 3D blu-ray movies it was announced months back.

what ever happen to the F/W comming in october it been reported by sony more lies, so we have a update 3.42 just last week added no features will just 1 the browser font easy to read, & we getting 1 next week.

Lastly i hope for the rest of the day we will hear more news then re-use news more features, kojima new mystery exclusive game, the extra growing growth of plus & other stuff. on the EU-Blog. :)

How does thos really work with HDMI1.3 that the PS3 is equipped with? To my knowledge the bandwith is not up to par like the HDMI1.4 that was designed for this.

Where will the trade-off be? Sound?

Woohoo!!!!!, 3D Bluray support.
My 3D Sammy thanks you ;)

I read around the Net this wasn’t coming till Oct, so i grabbed my waiting ticket and took the back seat row. But now…
Can’t wait.

More Support the better, and i’ll support you guys for supporting us.
Thanks for all your hard work guys.
xoxo

If you have a 3D tv then you may be interested to check out the iWaggle blogspot com website. It has a Move and 3D Games List that shows you which games support 3D. I think there are over 10 games on there now, including Hustle Kings, Tumble, EyePet, Flight Control, High Velocity Bowling, WipeOut, Pain, MotorStorm 3D Rift, Wipeout HD, and Super Stardust HD.

Upcoming games are: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, The Fight: Lights Out, Tron Evolution, MLB 10 The Show, Mortal Kombat, Gran Turismo 5, The Sly Collection, StarDrone, Sine Mora, Virtua Tennis 4, the ICO/SotC collection.

You can also ADD FF-14 & MGS-Rising to that 3D list :o

I would love to see a new XMB, I hope that’s coming this year.

Dont really care about 3D :/

@17 yeah me to :(

…and what else?

I appreciate the huge global spammage of 3D that Sony in undertaking at the moment but does this update include anything of use to people who don’t own 3D kit?

Oh, that’s right, we don’t fit into Sony’s business plan.:(

Not fussed about 3D, but is this also the Mubi/ITVPlayer (hopefully 4OD and Demand Five) update too?

raffieltiger 16 September, 2010 @ 11:27 am   21

There hasn’t been an jump in version numbers this large since the jump from 3.30 to 3.40. Come on Sony, surprise me with an epic fw update that’s hiding all the stuff you know you want to show us :).

Good stuff. If i ever get a 3D TV i will use it.

Now we need more normal stuff that everyone can use now with the next updates ;)

3D is good but still too expensive for nearly all PS3 users. Good to put in features now rather than later for 3D though. I hope their are some good features for all the rest of us! Had some odd updates of late.

Cool now if sony can just rekease a 3D TV that doesn’t require glasses all this 3D support will become relevant.

Reading the posts here and from reading other sites, it’s amazed me how many people that normally like new gadgets are either not interested or very anti 3D. Yes, you get a divide when there’s a new iPhone, games system or whatever, but 3D isn’t exclusive to one company or product and yet there’s very strong feeling about it.

For me I really don’t want to spend out on the glasses and then still have to send someone home or find them a book to read because I haven’t got enough for all my friends. I really don’t want to sit wearing glasses anyway. I’m often using my iPhone whilst the TV is on, especially during a film, I’ll look up the actors or filming locations on IMDB and I imagine that’ll be awkward.

Although it’s early days and things will no doubt get cheaper, I think 3D is an industry led development, rather than consumer led. A lot of people I speak to, see it as a way of getting more money out of the consumer, when they’ve only just been told HD is the best thing ever. With the dirth of content available, the cost/benefit ratio is on the wrong side of cost.

wiktorclunk 16 September, 2010 @ 2:20 pm   26

Coool

Mon-Da-Hoops 16 September, 2010 @ 2:29 pm   27

3D tv’s are clearly out of the price range for many people that own a ps3 so while i wouldn’t say this is a useless update as obviously when the price comes down more people will buy it you should really be focusing more on adding more features to your service ( especially PS plus) i won’t mention what they are because they are mentioned often enough to be well documented.

BalramRules 16 September, 2010 @ 7:08 pm   28

niceee

@13

3D blu-rays use HDMI 1.4 for format only. 3D blu-rays only actually display 48 frames per second. This is actually lower than the HDMI 1.3 “max” of 1920x1080x60fps. It is 1920x1080x48fps. Standard blu-rays only play at 24 fps. 3D just sends 24 for each eye, thus 48. As such the bandwidth is fine. The reason for HDMI 1.4 is so that the tv can accept a 48fps signal essentially (HDMI 1.3 tvs only accept 24,30 and 60fps) and upconvert it to 120 frames per second so that these shutter glasses sold with new 3D tvs and such can work. They just tuned the playstation software to send an immitated hdmi 1.4 signal so that new TVs and receivers can interpret the signal despite the hardware being originally designed for HDMI 1.3a.

In short, 3D does not take away anything as far as movies in video quality or sound. As far as games… you’re gonna get half the framerate the game would get in non-3D as you have double the graphics processing to do. Either that or game makers will purposely downgrade the image quality to keep the framerate normal.

Sony please wake up and smell the french toast. To number 1 requested feature ON YOUR SITE by psn users is cross game chat!

Give us what we want. We dont need facebook integration for goodness’ sake. Why won’t you guys listen to your fan base??!! Why must we literally beg you guys for the same thing for so long?

What is the meaning of this?

Will the PS3 ever get software making it a region free blu-ray player?

Will we also get a FULL changelog this firmware please?

would love cross game chat more than 3d playback !

DEATHWISH2478 19 September, 2010 @ 12:51 pm   34

we never get what we ask we only get stuff taken away nor do plus members get whats promised