Posted 14 October

Your Fallout: New Vegas PS3 Questions Answered: Hardcore Mode, Morality, Combat And More

Come next week, many of you will begin your adventures in Fallout: New Vegas – attempting to explore every nook, cranny, and Vault found within in and around Mojave Wasteland. Before your journey begins, we thought we’d answer some last-minute questions sent by you via Facebook and Twitter.

Fallout: New Vegas PS3

I’m afraid it’s going to feel like DLC. Are there enough changes to make New Vegas feel unique from Fallout 3? (thanks @acsguitar)

We certainly think so! While the gameplay is similar, the world itself is very, very different. And our main storyline plays out in a very different manner, with several very different paths to completion.

Can we expect the same wasteland experience as in Fallout 3? I’m kinda scared about playing in a city untouched by atomic bombs! (thanks @The_iCroco)

Yes and no. There are some areas that were hit directly, but for the most part, the destruction you’ll see in the Mojave Wasteland is due to neglect, not bombardment. Don’t expect sprawling, fully functioning cities, though. The New Vegas strip is self-contained and tightly managed directly by Mr. House, so everything in the city works perfectly. As you get farther away from the strip, you’ll see more and more ruins and abandoned buildings.

Would love to know how they will create that WOW factor that Fallout 3 had: the wasteland, the bomb at Megaton and so on. Tricky!? (thanks @bekblayton)

We think there are some similarly cool WOW moments in our game, and you should find one in each act of the main storyline.

How difficult will it be to take care of physical needs like hydration, sleep, and so on? Is it going to be overbearing?

Those features are only in Hardcore Mode, so they’re optional. If you find they’re getting to be too much of a hassle, you can always turn it off (although you won’t get the Hardcore trophy if you do).

What can you tell us about the new Hardcore Mode?

Hardcore Mode can be turned on or off at any time, although if you want the Hardcore trophy, you have to turn it on when initially prompted and leave it that way all the way to the end of the game. When it’s on, players will have to eat, sleep, and drink water every day. In addition, ammo has weight, companions can die, Stimpaks heal over time, and damaged limbs can only be healed with a Doctor’s Bag.

While you can fast travel in Hardcore Mode, you can’t if the time it would take to get you there would result in the player dying from dehydration/exhaustion/starvation.

Fallout: New Vegas PS3

Fallout: New Vegas PS3

Will the shooting feel better than it did in Fallout 3? (thanks @DYLANmmc)

Obsidian has tweaked the real-time combat quite a bit from Fallout 3 to make it feel more natural for people who don’t want to use VATS all the time.

What’s the story with the Aim Down the Sight mechanic? And is Fallout: New Vegas still support first-person and third-person viewing modes?

First- and third-person modes are in, and we’ve tweaked the third-person camera to be a bit more useful. In first-person mode, iron sights can be used with most weapons. The only exceptions are ones like the Grenade Machine Gun that are enormous and fire from the hip, and guns that have an actual sight on them (like sniper rifles and weapons modded with a physical sight). You just hold down the button and the camera zooms to show the weapon’s iron sight instead of a crosshair. It’s very useful for combat outside of VATS mode.

How big is Fallout: New Vegas compared to Fallout 3? (thanks @maialideth)

It’s about the same size. If you thought Fallout 3 was big, you’ll find Fallout: New Vegas to be equally big.

How much install data will be needed for Fallout: New Vegas?

Fallout: New Vegas is a 5 GB install on PS3 that runs when you first launch the game.

One of my favorite things to do in Fallout 3 was scavenging homes and office buildings. Will we see many rural and urban areas for that? (thanks @JaylLaf)

Just like Fallout 3, our wasteland is littered with abandoned (and not-so-abandoned) locations for you to explore.

Fallout: New Vegas PS3

Will there be any Vaults to explore in New Vegas? (thanks @LewJ1196)

Yes there are! We have five different Vaults in the game. They serve as unique dungeons, and depending on what path you follow through the main storyline, you may have to venture into one of them to retrieve something.

I’m interested to know more about the music score that will be piped through our Pip Boys for New Vegas. Will there be more variety? (thanks @Peligrie)

We have three separate radio stations in Fallout: New Vegas. There’s New Vegas Radio, which has the kind of songs you’ve come to expect from a Fallout game – hosted by Mr. New Vegas (voiced by Wayne Newton). Then there’s Black Mountain Radio, which is more classic country-focused. And finally there’s Mojave Music Radio, which is similar to NVR, only without the news stories from Mr. New Vegas.

Of course that’s just the radio. If you never turn on the radio at all, you’ll be treated to a new score by Inon Zur, featuring a string quartet, samples from past Fallout games, and some very cool location-specific themes.

Will New Vegas have a Good/Evil/Neutral decision path like Fallout 3? (thanks @Reumaut)

Karma still exists, and affects some things, but for the most part our decisions are determined more by the new reputation system, which tracks how the various factions in the game feel about you.

Will the Brotherhood of Steel be present in Fallout: New Vegas? I know in Fallout 3, the “original” BoS was based near California. (thanks @SCZ_PS3)

The Brotherhood of Steel is in Fallout: New Vegas, but not nearly as much as they were in Fallout 3. The west coast BoS was really hit hard following the events of Fallout 1 & 2, so they’re not nearly as important as the NCR is in the region.

Will there be any Fallout 2 characters make an appearance in Fallout: New Vegas?@Vi9)

Yes! We’ve already confirmed Marcus from Fallout 2 is coming back, and will again be voiced by Michael Dorn. As for anyone else, you’ll just have to wait for the game to see for yourself.

Can I still force materials inside the pants of enemies? If so, what explosive additions have you made? (thanks @Foxification)

Will there any kind of transportation?

Aside from fast-travel, we do have a monorail that will take you directly to the strip from Camp McCarran (assuming you’re friendly with the NCR).

Fallout: New Vegas PS3

Can we continue playing after the main quest line ends?

No. Instead, Fallout: New Vegas has a real ending, that shows the results of your actions throughout the game and how they affected the different factions, locations and people you encountered.

Are you still able to make a female character?

Absolutely!

Do you plan on including many DLC add-ons for Fallout: New Vegas, as Fallout 3 did? (thanks @VGNtertainment)

We’re not really going into specifics on DLC, but we have a plan, and we think it’s a good one. You should hear more about it soon.

What’s the initial level cap.. and will DLC be exclusive to one console or another for any amount of time? (thanks @keeponrunning)

The level cap for Fallout: New Vegas is 30. As mentioned previously, we’re not discussing the details of downloadable content right now. Stay tuned!

Will there be a demo to try Fallout: New Vegas? (thanks @RichLando)

There’s no demo planned for the game.. We wanted the focus to be completing the full game and making it the best game it could be.

Thanks again for all the great questions. We hope you enjoy your stay in the Mojave Wasteland!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

53 Comments 2 Author replies
Show oldest first

Nice,Fallout New Vegas looks cool but it is the same with Fallout 3=P!Are u planning to create any Tenchu for Playstation 3?(Plzz reply,i asked this question 3 times and u ignored me plzzz,reply,i love Tenchu)Thanks Sony!Continue your Great Work!

BLEACH-Fan 14 October, 2010 @ 6:19 pm   2

please tell me we get a good port? :)

Renegade1985 14 October, 2010 @ 6:29 pm   3

Hardcore mode sounds challenging :)

Can not wait!!!!!!!! :)

if it’s as good as fallout3, count me in :)

Im not getting this until i read some reviews, since fallout 3 was so badly done port on PS3, and goty…oh god.

I don’t think there is enough to it to be honest, it seems more like lets say an expansion set then a new game. they have fixed some bugs made a new zone, some new weapons, but its not like they have really increased the graphics a lot or introduced a whole new fight system or level system, sorry thats just my opinion :/

but I’m really looking forward to something on fallout 4 or elder scroll V, which I hope will be a whole now experience :)

GOTY

BalramRules 14 October, 2010 @ 7:21 pm   9

hardcore!=D
ftw!

Robert-Ninja 14 October, 2010 @ 7:29 pm   10

It’ll be a while before I have the funds to pay for this game but when I do… hardcore mode here I come. I destroyed F3 on its hardest difficulty so I need a challenge this time!

5 GB install,….. [DELETED]!
What is wrong with streaming data?

Sheriff of Broken Hills is baaaaaaaaaaaack, wish we could also encounter Sulik and play some Tragic the Garnering with them, easy win with Sulik:D
Because of the DLC im going to wait for GOTY:(

Hell-Raiser-85 14 October, 2010 @ 8:28 pm   13

Quick question, is there any things that is like the alien crash site from fallout 3? It looking great. Only a week to go. Thanks

So exited for this, I bought a 3 month + Sub. yesterday purely for the Fallout 3 dlc. I hope this game is as good as Fallout 3.

Erorrless 14 October, 2010 @ 9:01 pm   15

How much install data will be needed for Fallout: New Vegas?

its 2010!!!
im sick of this!!

ya why do we still have 2 install games on our harddrive almost every xbox game plays straight from the cd while blue ray has more space why still the retarded installs

In hardcore mode, can the places of interest “blips” on the compass be turned off??

I want to stumble upon places, not know where they are within a certain range all the time… I would play in hardcore mode just for that reason. :)

Cool, Will the game release on the PS3 on the same day as the other systems ?
I do not trust Sony anymore when it comes to release dates .

Matt Grandstaff 14 October, 2010 @ 10:06 pm

Yes, the game comes out on all three platforms on the same day next week (22nd in Europe)

Focalpoint 14 October, 2010 @ 9:58 pm   19

i hate not being able to play the game after the main story ends.

that sucks and im less interested in the game now. you would have thought after the complaints about FO3 that this game would allow you to carry on.. pfft.

also Fallout 3 on the PS3 was very buggy, some times the frame rate did drop to 1 FPM! yes 1 frame each 60 seconds especially on the DLC. Did you better the PS3 programming this time?

Will the game run better on the PS3. Fallout had a problem with slow down and freezing. Has the tech been refined for this game?

Can’t wait for this. Only bad thing I can say is when you finish the main game you can’t go and explore and do sub-missions. An awful decision.

geddesmond2 14 October, 2010 @ 11:56 pm   23

I honestly can’t wait for this game. I’m looking forward to exploring a new world and by the way that hardcore mode sounds like it fits the name. Dam do enemies do extra damage and all in hardcore mode cause the enemies alone in fallout 3 made the game impossible on the hardiest difficulty. Now you have food and water to watch out for aswel

AaronSOLDIER 15 October, 2010 @ 12:19 am   24

You would sell a ton if you patched in Move support.

The 22nd of October, damn that’s quick.

5GB is nothing, fallout 3 game data was just as big + patches! i really can’t wait for this game, next week can’t come any sooner! i am glad i can create a female character, being forced to be a man through the game would have been a nightmare lol

dotSilver 15 October, 2010 @ 3:26 am   27

I can’t wait for this game. I will be spending a few hours playing MoH (heard it doesn’t take long even on hard), and I’ll spend weeks on Fallout: New Vegas.

dotSilver 15 October, 2010 @ 3:33 am   28

Sorry for double post. But quick question.

Will Fallout: New Vegas programming be more stable than Fallout 3? For an offline game, I experience a lot of lag in Fallout 3 (loading issues?) and I also experience quite a few freezes while playing Fallout 3.

Freezes are common in all 3 platforms.

Drian_Thierf 15 October, 2010 @ 7:20 am   30

I’ve already preordered the collector’s edition. I hope it will be worth it.

I’m sorry if I feel irritated but why are people still asking if the game is DLC? Seriously!

I’m just angry that there are others whom feel the need to ask such stupid questions and wasting producers time when it comes to these game. Would you ask the same question to Bungie with Halo: Reach? NO!

mushroomnoob 15 October, 2010 @ 9:56 am   32

To all the guys who are annoyed that the game will end after the final main quest. They will definitely create a dlc like Broken Steel.

makingdamage 15 October, 2010 @ 10:17 am   33

Will there be variation in the interior this time or will all places inside look the same as in Fallout 3?

Skookie30 15 October, 2010 @ 10:18 am   34

I think i wait too i got still to Finish Ass-creed 2 & finish FO-3 as well so God knows when i get it.

but rest asure i Will get it maybe FO-NV-GOTY with all DLC ;)

Cannot Wait!
Fallout 3 was a masterpiece, the hours i put into it, i hope this is mostly the same.

For **** sake Bethesda! How can you not see how stupid it was in Fallout 3 not to let players continue after the story is completed it’s pathetic! ”We have a proper ending instead”, what a gay little speech on how we’ve helped factions, great, that’s really why everyone spends their money on RPG’s to listen to a speech which we all forget because so ****** off we can’t play any more. I’m sure most people would rather be able to play as there’s no clear reason not to! You most probably will release a DLC similar to broken steel enabling play after but as we don’t know this for sure it puts a huge negative impact on the game, especially to those who don’t buy DLC. I just hope you do release a DLC to enable play after because this has been my most anticipated game for over a year …

Devilater 15 October, 2010 @ 12:12 pm   37

You can’t continue after beating the game, that’s going annoy a lot of people, i hope there is a DLC to let us play after we beat it like Fallout 3 did.

If there is DLC i’m buying GOTY Edition, no point paying for DLC.

Devilater 15 October, 2010 @ 12:15 pm   38

@36 Bethesdea is not developing New Vegas, it’s Obsidian who is, they are the one who made that game Alpha Protocol which wasn’t even good.

I agree though, you’re going to collect all those rare items but then you finish the game and now you can’t do anything.

MJHAYLETT 15 October, 2010 @ 12:28 pm   39

Why for heavens sake can’t you play after the main story is done? Why on Earth did you do that Obsidian? Did Bethesda not tell you the backlash they got from Fallout 3? So it looks like we will all have to look up a Guide, find out when and where the Story is going to wrap up/lock us into the ending and create a seperate save game file so we can do what we want to do. Sigh.

Oh I didn’t realise there was a Q&A session about this game, must have missed it! I have a question in case it still gets answered though:

I am new to Fallout, and for one reason or another I never got around to playing Fallout 3, so as a complete newbie would I be able to get into this game or is their a certain level of assumed knowledge or continuing storyline etc?

Will the DLC (if any) be available in regions where Fallout 3 DLC is still not available (yep, I’m talking Poland here). Are you handling this problem right from the beginning or are you going to ignore our woes just like you did with Fallout 3?

Polish players still did not get any DLC, neither for the English nor for the Polish version of the game (both were released here).

Devilater 15 October, 2010 @ 12:57 pm   42

That’s stupid that they do not release DLC to all contires, they don’t want to make more money?

@41 did you import the game, that may be your only option to import it form another country.

raffieltiger 15 October, 2010 @ 1:18 pm   43

Looking good :).

I hope they can live up to the gameplay standard that Fallout 1 & 2 set.

Those games were epic.

Fallout 3 was good, but without the reputation system it’s not the same.

One of the best moral systems in a rpg :).

Hell yeah! For the PC version that is. I love being able to mod my games, and I’m sure the game’s not going to be much more enjoyable than Oblivion without mods.

Anyway, sounds like they’ve made the game a lot better than Fallout 3 which is exactly what I’d expect from Obsidion. Bethesda excels at creating worlds, not games. Obsidian ought to be able to make the better games. That said, I’m sure someone should watch balance very closely. And then there’s the bugs…

KK-Scotland 15 October, 2010 @ 5:32 pm   45

Interesting answers. I have an Xbox and a PS3 but i’m getting FNV on PS3 just because I prefer PS3 to Xbox tbh. But I was only wanting the Xbox version because the’ll probably get DLC before PS3 and that the Xbox version got better reviews (less game crashes, glitches, etc.) so could anyone elaborate on that? Will there be a supreme version this time or will both be equally brilliant (I hope so…) ??? I think that the DLC will be out first on Xbox, if it’s like COD’s DLC (i.e. released a Month earlier than PS3) that’s fine but PLEASE don’t make us wait almost a full year for it!!!

PlayDude77 16 October, 2010 @ 3:07 am   46

I do hope the PS3 version of New Vegas is really improved, as Fallout 3′s issues on PS3 were unbearable and gamebreaking at times!

I’ll wait for the reviews to kick in, if the reviewers mention too much problems i guess i’ll have to stick to the PC version. :/

whoismilan 18 October, 2010 @ 10:05 pm   47

There are so many awesome titles coming out in the next few months on PS3, so I’d just like to say:

Thank you so, so much Bethesda for helping me make the choice on what game I should absolutely not under any circumstance consider buying.

This just made it so much easier for me to decide on what games I should spend my time and money on. Thank you, and I won’t forget this when your other titles (such as Brink) are released.

AlphaChris 19 October, 2010 @ 12:26 pm   48

“Yep, you can still pickpocket grenades into people’s pockets. Even better is that now you can pickpocket plastic explosives into people’s pants! For some fun, drop some C4 into a few random people, equip the detonator, stand back and pull the trigger. It never gets old.”

Sorry, but statements like this just seems so wrong. Western RPGs introduced Moral systems and allowed “bad actions”. These action were somehow justified because people have to face the consequences of those actions like killing innocent people alarms the city watch (as if turning autosave off couldn’t get rid of that “consequences” easily…).

Ok, if some fan had posted this in a forum….. but an official statement on the offical playstation blog claiming that “it never gets old” to blow up some random people with C4 just doesn’t seem right.

cant wait till tomorrow :)

SmoggyPhil 24 October, 2010 @ 12:35 am   50

Damn, and I had 2 major questions:

1) Why are PS3 owners being shafted and given late DLC while M$ gets exclusives AGAIN???
2) Did you not learn from the fan backlash concerning F3s DLC exclusivity??

Thanks but no thanks. You’ll get my cash when you crank out a GOTY. Looks like my money will be spent on Fifa 11, SvR 11, AC:Brotherhood and CoD Black Ops this Christmas, and not Obsidians oversized Christmas bonus.

Load all