Posted 11:01am

MUBI Is Launching On PS3 This Week

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!

Yes, that’s right… We are launching MUBI on November 3rd and this is our trailer for it. Well, kind of… you think this is funny? I mean, what’s funny about it? Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn. A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Anyway, where were we? Oh, yes… We are launching on November 3rd in UK, Ireland, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, France, Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg. If you’re in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, and Portugal, don’t fret, we’ll be launching in your territories next week. Australia and New Zealand we haven’t forgotten you: we’re announcing your date later this week.

From November 3rd you’ll be able to download the MUBI from PlayStation Store. It’s a free application so you may as well have a look! You’ll find some of the most visionary independent, classic and foreign films to stream directly to your PS3. Quentin Tarantino, Coen Brothers, Lars Von Trier, Gus Vant Sant, Jim Jarmusch, Roman Polanski, Wong Kar-Wai, David Lynch, Ang Lee, Jean-Luc Godard are all in there. Rent them for 7 days for £2.99/€3.59, or you can purchase an all-you-can-eat 30 day subscription for just £9.99/€12.99. Oh, and there will be some films for free too – films we think need to be discovered and that you need to tell your friends about.

Our curators have specially selected all our films because we think they represent the best of independent, classic and world cinema. We want to bring you films that are ripe for your discovery, films that make you think, films that make you cry, films you want to share with your friends and films you want to argue about with your friends! But, Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room…

Right… this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. I do wish we could chat longer, but I’m having an old friend for dinner. Bye.

November 3.

Coming soon to your PS3.

MUBI
Watch. Share. Discover.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

136 Comments 9 Author replies
Show oldest first

Sounds COOL :) Nice 1

Clare Sandford 1 November, 2010 @ 12:54 pm

Hi everyone
    Just to let youn know that Efe is currently in Australia for a MUBI event! He’ll get onto the Blog asap to answer your questions. In the meantime, I’ll have a go at answering as many as I can ; )

Hell-Raiser-85 1 November, 2010 @ 11:12 am   2

Great news. Any plans on 1 year subscriptions?

TheMaxDaddy 1 November, 2010 @ 11:13 am   3

Super Sweet. Great news. Now to convince my wife that 13 euro a month is a good idea.

Hurrah Great news & lovefilm as well the silence was worth-it this week gonna be great for News.

WELL DONE SCEE ;)

or wait you not from scee lol :D

European_Gamer 1 November, 2010 @ 11:20 am   5

Will there be a difference of the films you find in each country?

RadioactiveMouse 1 November, 2010 @ 11:22 am   6

Nice one Efe! Been waiting for this for a few weeks :)

Any chance that movies not available in certain regions will be made so if the demand is high enough? Been recommended The Fountain by Darren Aronofsky and I don’t think it’s available to the UK on MUBI yet :( (I’ll be happy to be proved wrong ;) )

Also any chance you can elaborate about the cross platform natures?

Outofathens 1 November, 2010 @ 11:22 am   7

Wow……..Netherlands in the first week! I have to put this in de “TELEGRAAF”!!!!

Looking forward to giving this a go.

Maybe I missed it but do we know how many films are available to watch?

Clare Sandford 1 November, 2010 @ 12:55 pm

Hi SyncroUK
    It depends on your country – but on average 300 films for launch. the catalogue will continue to grow as more and more deals are signed in each country

ImaginedBug 1 November, 2010 @ 11:23 am   9

What an incredibly lame attempt at a humorous post, especially on a Monday morning.

Will this feature ever be launched in Russia? Please. =)

ChipPhoenix 1 November, 2010 @ 11:24 am   11

Magnolia reference? I don’t think this is for everyone, but it sure is for me.

MagikToaster 1 November, 2010 @ 11:25 am   12

Woot! Been looking forward to this for a while now, can’t wait to see what all is on there :)

FlunkYou2 1 November, 2010 @ 11:27 am   13

Will there be more then 26 films for the uk? :)

smokeypsd 1 November, 2010 @ 11:31 am   14

um, what? Does this mean Australia won’t actually be launching this week?

IF this is true this is NOT NOT cool.

Poland? ;(

£9.99 a month?? LoveFilm will be a better service and thats cheaper.. No tar.

I really hope for next week in italy…

ChipPhoenix 1 November, 2010 @ 11:35 am   18

Australia:
Features
$6.25
Shorts
$1.75
Unlimited (I’m guessing this is the one month)
$19.95
…And Some are free

and to think if I lived in the US I could spend less than $10 for Netflix streaming.

you had me at hello. :)

Cocacoladance 1 November, 2010 @ 11:45 am   20

nice do we get to keep the free movies/mubis?

Clare Sandford 1 November, 2010 @ 1:00 pm

Hi Cocacoladance
    No – you don’t get to keep the movies. This is a streaming service so films are available to you for 7 days from the moment you pay for them. If you buy a 30 day subscription, you can watch any film, and as many as you like, as much as you want to in 30 days

Marrsterhausen 1 November, 2010 @ 11:45 am   21

At Long last! Been waiting for this for too long…

VictorAnalogy 1 November, 2010 @ 11:48 am   22

Free undiscovered films! This is why I was excited for MUBI. Thanks for not disappointing me. :D

ShinyGoldfish 1 November, 2010 @ 11:51 am   23

Mubi Mubi Mubi MUBI! (Ah aaaah ah aaaaah ah ahhhhhh!)
(sorry)

Great to see it’s finally out. I can see this app taking up any remaining spare time I might have. Not that I’m complaining of course! :)

divine1000 1 November, 2010 @ 11:53 am   24

Will there be an option to link our PSN accounts to existing MUBI accounts, as with Facebook/Twitter?

nicnemame 1 November, 2010 @ 11:54 am   25

And when will be in the Czech Republic?

SlayerX888 1 November, 2010 @ 11:55 am   26

Will there be geo IP address filtering to prevent users with mismatching PSN country & ISP country from accessing the service ? I hope not, since we do pay for the service.

Will MUBI have anything from Studio Ghibli?

marcindpol 1 November, 2010 @ 11:58 am   28

well finally some movies here in Ireland, on a side note when we will get playstation video store here?…

dividsmythe 1 November, 2010 @ 12:01 pm   29

no mention of uk???

@16 lovefilm is a bit more than £9.99 a month cheapest i can see is £18.99 for steamin service

Clare Sandford 1 November, 2010 @ 1:02 pm

Hi dividsmythe
    Yes – we’re launching MUBI on 3rd November in UK – read the post again – it definitely says it on there ; )

dividsmythe 1 November, 2010 @ 12:03 pm   30

sorry uk mentioned early in piece

so it looks cool

heathengray 1 November, 2010 @ 12:04 pm   31

Does the service have subtitles for the hard of hearing?

That’s a deal breaker for me I’m afraid.

Finally! Awsome news. :D

Thank you for finaly bringing a new service to the Netherlands (and not only the UK and a few other coumtries). Is it the best service, probably not (depending on my prefrences) but I give it a try if it has fast download speed, resonal rices, HD and 5.1 sound (yes I am a movie lover and wouldn´t expext any less).

So how’s the quality of movies, if they arent HD i stick with mediaserver + ps3 combo…

AnimaOnline 1 November, 2010 @ 12:18 pm   35

Thank you! I’ve been waiting for the release of MUBI on PlayStation 3 ever since it was first announced. The app has me really excited so I’ll be sure to subscribe as soon as it’s up.

Smoutefretter_BE 1 November, 2010 @ 12:19 pm   36

Thank You for bringing this service to Belgium at launch!
I’ve been waiting a long time since sony announced back in 1920 the videostore for other countries then the “big 5″, still hasn’t launch BTW in Belgium.

And then when MUBI was announced I feared the same as the vidstore. But now it’s great to see you’re launching on day 1 in many countries! let’s hope everyone in each country can have access to mubi asap!

GREAT :D

So if MUBI is possible in Switzerland, why is Sony not able to provide the Video Store to us??? makes.no.sense

SchuddeBuikje 1 November, 2010 @ 12:23 pm   38

Great news. Thank you!

xchris2008x 1 November, 2010 @ 12:24 pm   39

no thanks ill wait for lovefilm at least i can watch films for my time and not just for the old gamers.

@#34: No, I don’t think there will be many movies in HD. I haven’t found any good info about the quality. Which format and bitrate will the video and audio be streamed in? Efe?

No love for the UAE?

raffieltiger 1 November, 2010 @ 12:43 pm   42

Great new feature :). I love to watch alot of movies.

Opt1mus76 1 November, 2010 @ 12:46 pm   43

I`d be interested if I didn`t have download limits on my broadband. With game patches, demos, PSN content and online play I guess I`d go over limit and struggle with snail pace connection if I started renting digital movies regularly. I`ll stick to LoveFilm for now as I can choose games from there too ;)

simiancustard 1 November, 2010 @ 12:47 pm   44

Any word on whether it’s coming to South Africa?

born2destroy 1 November, 2010 @ 12:50 pm   45

Cool :) Now hopefully we get Lovefilm soon & more firmware updates with new features we want :)

GutsBerserker 1 November, 2010 @ 12:53 pm   46

Good news.

But I’ll wait to see what kind of movies we’ll be able to watch in Switzerland. If it’s the same like on Mubi.com, which would make sense, I’d have to pass.

@xchris2008 If I read correctly, you only watch new movies? You don’t know what you’re missing, so many great films where made in the past century, it’d be a shame to ignore them.

imajinetion 1 November, 2010 @ 1:02 pm   47

Can we still browse the movielist before subscribing?

Clare Sandford 1 November, 2010 @ 1:05 pm

Hi imajinetion
    Yes you can. You don’t have to commit. You can have a look at the library – read the synopsis and view the trailer and then you can decide to either rent one film at a time or you can buy an unlimited 30 day subscription. You can even watch a few free films without purchasing a subscription.

Chaosprower 1 November, 2010 @ 1:19 pm   48

So, in Spain we get it one week later? I’ve looked in MUBI.com, and less than a half of the movie library is not available in Spain, will it be the same when the service launches?

Nice one, my type of movies. I hope to see some Krzysztof Kieslowski stuff in there.

Now maybe the actual videostore might come to Ireland, ah who am i kidding.

That’s a trailer that breaths love for film. I approve! I’ll check it out wednesday and probally try one of the free ones too see how it al works and in what quality they are deliverred, and then probably get myself a subscription :D

Load all