Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 12:01pm

GRANDIA Is Coming To PlayStation Store

Hello PlayStation fans! Have you been waiting for GRANDIA to come out on the EU PlayStation Network? Guess what: Your wait is finally over! GRANDIA will become available for download for PlayStation3 and PSP on November 10, 2010, for €7.99/£6.29!

We have received many inquiries about the EU release date since the title launched on the PSN in Japan and US, and all of the staff at GAME ARTS is happy this day has come at last and very honoured to know that the game seems to be still loved by many people around the world.

GRANDIA_A

Illustration by Toshiaki Hontani

We believe that the game can be enjoyed by both a new generation of gamers and those who played it when it was first released, and please allow me to take this opportunity to explain a bit about it for those who haven’t played it.

GRANDIA was released over 10 years ago, and it is an unforgettable journey with over 80 hours of game-play. The player assumes the role of Justin, a young boy obsessed with becoming a great adventurer, who inherits a magic stone that leads him on an epic journey to uncover the mystery of a long lost civilization. He meets other adventurers who join him on his quest and, as he unravels the threads of the ancient legend, he draws the attention of the Garlyle Forces who devise diabolical schemes to stop him.

The battle system in GRANDIA is truly astounding and is what has cemented the game as a classic. It demands familiarity with the characters’ individual abilities, so the focus is less on customization than strategy. The characters can counter or disrupt enemy attacks, which is a gameplay experience that to this day stands out as fresh and compelling.

The fight for the truth takes place across the world, with over 200 weapons, enemies, and items to collect and over 80 magic spells and techniques to master. Yes, there is a lot to do! GRANDIA was released on two discs when it came out a decade ago due to the volume, and we believe it is certainly a worthwhile game to download for €7.99/£6.29!

GRANDIA_B

Please make some room on your PlayStation3 or PSP and get ready to embark on an unforgettable journey!

GRANDIA is finally coming to the EU PlayStation Store on November 10, 2010!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

41 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first

Thank you, cannot wait to play this classic!

One of the best RPGs i have ever played, and wouldn’t hesitate to pick it up again to replay it whenever and wherever i would like to on my PSP. Will Grandia 2 eventually make it to the store as well? My DreamCast copy was somehow bugged and i sadly never got the opportunity to finish the game.

Awesome, I got Lunar the other week so this will be another perfect download.

Saeko Inoue 9 November, 2010 @ 4:51 pm

Thank you. :) We hope that you will find many more hours of pleasure and fun with our games.

Carnivius_Prime 9 November, 2010 @ 12:12 pm   4

One of the few RPGs I ever actually found enjoyable despite the cutesy anime look. I’m not even sure why I enjoyed it on PS1. Maybe it was cos it didn’t take itself anywhere near as seriously as Final Fantasy VII (which I hated). Just had a more carefree sense of fun or something. Anyways yeah I might buy it. Think one of the PS1 memory cards I backed up to my PS3 still has the old save file.

Hurrah Grandia is SO great it get‘s it own Blog Post to announce & that a great price i remember when UK had it it was a budget price a £9.99 but i think before it went budget it was more then a tenner.

differently A day 1 buy for me. i good to see J FEENA little-sue & Puffy Too. :)

Chaosprower 9 November, 2010 @ 12:18 pm   6

A true classic ;). I remember renting this game a lot of years ago don’t understanding nothing of the story because it wasn’t translated into Spanish but having lots of fun with the battle system. Now that I’ll understand it, I’ll hopefully finish it.

CookieMonsterES 9 November, 2010 @ 12:28 pm   7

Yay! excellent new, best release of the month by far. Yeah, I mean it. Thanks Game Arts! :)

Great news :)!

now, make this a psone plus thing ehh?
now suikoden 1+2 and i will be doing stuff in my pants ;)

Skookie30 9 November, 2010 @ 12:45 pm   10

@Rytteren I‘M Sure konami will not be daft & not release it 1 & 2 as it‘s 15th anniversary of em comming they releaseing a 25 discs of soundtrack of 1 & 2 and others as a anniversary stuff.

so konami the ball is in your court. :)

Skookie30 9 November, 2010 @ 12:59 pm   11

Game-arts since you release grandia and lunar any more RPG from You like lunar 3 & grandia-3 there was a lunar 3 on the saturn only in japan though. :‘[

MavSkipper 9 November, 2010 @ 1:07 pm   12

This is awesome, I still have the originals. :)
Grandia 1-3 were/are great sans the “Xtreme”. Here’s hoping for a 4th part.

Finally. Took you long enough. *crosses one long wait from his list*.

Burkatron81 9 November, 2010 @ 1:29 pm   14

As much as i loved Grandia on the PSOne back in the day, i have to admit i totally fell in love with grandia 2 on the dreamcast, an still to this day consider it to be the best RPG ive ever played. Yes i know people wont agree with that comment but out of all the RPG’s ive played in 20 or so years, that game is the one that shines brightest in my memory.
Here’s hoping the maybe a re-release some time in the future.

ShadowFlex 9 November, 2010 @ 1:34 pm   15

Yes! What a great release! I can’t wait to have this on psp. However since some of the PSOne games I’ve bought have been released free on plus I think I’ll hold off actually purchasing it. Does anyone know if the EU will be getting the free copys of Abes Exodus? I loved those games!! =D

Finally. Though I don’t think I’ll get around to picking it up and playing it till Summer holidays; quite busy for several months to come!

Now all we need is a true sequel to the Grandia franchise, not that silly MMO they’re (still?) making. 360/ps3 multi platform for all I care, but I want another beautiful game with this battle system. It’s one of the most unique, best systems in the industry. I can’t fathom why more Grandia titles haven’t been made because of it.

Or re-release an HD master of Grandia 3 and Xtreme. Played and finished 2 like 3 times, I want more!!!

#15 YES in December

ShadowDoGGG 9 November, 2010 @ 1:52 pm   18

Bit pricey for being so old….

Also would want to see Grandia 3 as it was not released in EU.

Typpihappo 9 November, 2010 @ 2:25 pm   19

YES!! I love you guys. It was a long wait, but this game is definitely worth it! So glad so see it’s possible for us European folks to get our hands on the same gems as the lucky people in NA.

Landslide85 9 November, 2010 @ 2:26 pm   20

Now maybe we can get to Symphony of the Night!

hana_fubuki 9 November, 2010 @ 2:27 pm   21

BOUGHT!
And just so you know, lovely PSN people, Grandia II will also be a day-1 purchase when you pretty-please release it. :)

Fantastic news!!! Definitely getting this one. I can’t see Grandia 2 coming out on PSN, since that was a PS2 game, it’d need porting, instead of just emulating like PS1 games.

But yeah, thankyou for releasing this!! :D

I never played it :(
Someone can describe it for me? ( I know it only by fame)

why so late? we could have used the game in a febuary release like U.S

sharpenedpixel 9 November, 2010 @ 4:37 pm   25

Borders and slowdown?

kinda suprised nobody asked it but is it gonna get released for all countries or just a few it would be usefyll 2 know cause that way we can’t get disappointed if it’s not for all local.

GT-R32_Skyline 9 November, 2010 @ 5:12 pm   27

Definitely one of the best real RPG’s ever made a must buy and by real i mean that today’s RPG’s have nothing compared to these old classics

THANK YOU at last a GRANDIA for EU..its been a long time!!!!!!
(Alundra next plz !)
PLease get more PSX games to us in EU

Excellent, nice to see another great PS1 game on the Store :)

Zieghardt 9 November, 2010 @ 6:14 pm   30

Awesome stuff. Grandia is the one game I make absolutely all of my friends play.

Hope you guys can announce Grandia 4 soon, I’ve been waiting so long for it

CassyChan 9 November, 2010 @ 6:16 pm   31

Awesome! Any chance we’ll get Alundra at some point?

Barbie__Boy 9 November, 2010 @ 6:50 pm   32

awsome! actually never played it but I know I will love it^^

FFObsessed 9 November, 2010 @ 6:54 pm   33

Will buy every PSone classic that comes to the store. Thanx.

Dragoncat1991 9 November, 2010 @ 8:12 pm   34

Yes, finally it comes to EU.
The last game was I got from Game Arts,
was Lunar, because I find Nall cute,
and yet is it comes the game Grandia.

As I se Grandia in a shop I must buy it,
but my PS2 has it broken,
two minutes before the Game has say
“change CD”.

PS: In Grandia, I find that Guido is cute. ^^

trutenprower 10 November, 2010 @ 12:17 am   35

Excellent! Grandia is one hidden gem! Cannot wait to play as Justin, Sue and Feena on their adventures again.

Saeko Inoue 10 November, 2010 @ 8:30 am   36

Hello everyone!

On behalf of the company, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in GRANDIA and your comments on this blog. :)

The game will become available for download real soon, and I sincerely hope that you will have a delightful time with it.

Can’t wait for this. I was going to get Black Ops but this is far better.

AlphaChris 10 November, 2010 @ 12:15 pm   38

Good News! Graphics will become outdated eventually, but a good story never gets old! Thats why those PS1 RPGs still shine today (although there are still so many great RPGS that were never released in the EU…).

Japanese Games are often something special, because I really like the japanese way of Storytelling.

Saeko Inoue 10 November, 2010 @ 5:25 pm   39

Please visit our website and download free GRANDIA wallpapers: http://www.gamearts.com/products/psn-grandia.html

Thank you, GRANDIA fans! :)

Now just Grandia Xtreme and 3, due 2005…….

Didn’t see the sarcasm……

What the hell! I adored Grandia 1 and 2, where are the other two games? Do you guys hate Europe? That’s the only explanation.

Hones_thief 19 November, 2010 @ 3:09 pm   41

Any chances of someone knowing wether this is the PAL or NTSC version? Really hope this is 60hz.