On the recent trip to New York we unveiled Skyline and we’d like to share a video of this new track with everyone on PlayStation.Blog, as well as bring you a round-up of the details revealed at the event and give away some info on the activity you can expect to see coming up. First up, the video of Skyline starring my favourite new vehicle, the Superbike:
…and here’s a recap of the new info we shared:
- PSN avatars, dynamic themes, pre-order and PS+ exclusives are all planned and we’ll have specifics very soon.
- We’ve got a sophisticated Photo Mode with really high resolutions available and some simple tools that allow for fantastic post-effects – all of the Skyline screenshots were taken using Photo Mode mid-race!
- We have big ambitions to continue support for the game after it releases, and to develop some of the concepts we haven’t been able to find time for in development, including a special island track we’re hoping to be able to give away for free.
- New videos – including a series of three developer diaries – will be launched on the blog and PSN in the next couple of weeks.
- Full visual customisation and performance customisation in the form of perks are both new features.
- All previous versions of MotorStorm featured the ability to taunt other riders. This time round we have a set of insanely flamboyant ‘gestures’ guaranteed to get your opponents fuming.
- We don’t have a final global release date but are scheduled to launch in Spring 2011.
- A demo is being planned for 2011.
- We showed Skyline in stereoscopic 3D, and pretty much everyone agreed with me that it sets the benchmark for 3D gaming. I hope you get to experience it in this way!
We always try to release video and game information first here on the blog, but as some of you have already discovered we didn’t quite manage it this time. Here’s a quick round-up of some of the reaction to the unveiling, and some links to me talking and (more excitingly) videos of MotorStorm…including some playthrough footage of the track.
- MotorStorm Apocalypse Preview: “The special effects-strewn setting seems like the perfect complement to the impressive visuals and physics tech the franchise is already known for.”
- Exclusive MotorStorm Apocalypse Developer Interview Including New Skyline Footage: “MotorStorm Apocalypse will leave your palms so sweaty there should be a warning on the box…”
- MotorStorm: Apocalypse’s Iconic Skyline: “The folks putting out the party-at-the-end-of-the-world racer MotorStorm: Apocalypse vow that “Skyline” is winnable by all 16 vehicle classes.”
- Bikes & ATVs on Skyline Walkthrough (Cam)
- Sony PS3 2010 Holiday Review and 2011 Preview “The 3D experience was absolutely incredible.”
Jamie, our Community Manager who answered your questions while I was travelling back, has shared your reactions, feedback and concerns with me, and a great way to keep in the loop on all things MotorStorm Apocalypse is to follow him on Twitter: @PhenomEvolution.
Thanks to everyone for your comments and your support. Speak soon!