Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 6:06pm

LittleBigPlanet 2 – European Release Date, And More!

The year is drawing to a close, here in the UK we’re recovering from “SNOW CHAOS!” – but soon the days will slowly start getting longer again, so let’s celebrate with some great LBP 2 news…

LittleBigPlanet 2 Demo, Beta Trial Expansion And Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves

European Release Date!

Over at Media Molecule, everyone’s been working harder than Santa’s elves, and I’m pleased to confirm that LittleBigPlanet 2 has now ‘gone gold’. The new game is 100% finished, and will be released on Wednesday 19th January 2011 across Europe, Thursday 20th January in Australia and New Zealand, and Friday 21st January in the UK and Ireland. Just four weeks more to wait…

Check out Media Molecule’s own take on this great news here.

Reviews!

All the folk at Media Molecule have done a fantastic job of filling LittleBigPlanet 2 with even more fun, possibility, excitement, creativity and delicious cake. It’s an amazing combination, but don’t just take my word for it; you’ll begin to see reviews hitting over the next 2 weeks, and the first score is already in – a delightful 10 out of 10 from Official PlayStation Magazine UK!

OPM - LBP2

“Full of simple-to-grasp tools, all with huge potential – and you could easily lose more time to LBP2 than any other game released in 2011.”

“Never going to build anything at all? This is still an indispensible package, rammed with creative potential and imaginative gameplay.”

Demo!

Even more excited now? Desperate to get even a small taste of that delicious cake? Then don’t forget that the LittleBigPlanet 2 Story Mode Demo will be available on PlayStation Store tomorrow, 22nd December. Here’s your chance to experience a few of the many cool gameplay additions, like the Grapple Hook and Sackbots, and meet some of the characters that will be joining you on your epic Sack-quest.

There’s lots more cool stuff to come in the new year, as we get closer and closer to release – so I’ll see you all in January with more news – in the meantime, Happy-Christmas-Holiday-Festive-New-Year-Seasonal Sack-Greetings to one and all!

Oops, one more thing – after all that, I couldn’t leave you guys without a little more trailer-y goodness, to keep you going until 2011…

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

89 Comments 5 Author replies
Show oldest first
ShadowDoGGG 21 December, 2010 @ 6:10 pm   1

I am extremely surprised you didn’t do anything special with PS+ members for this for EVERY SINGLE one of them rather than a handful.

Alex Pavey 21 December, 2010 @ 6:41 pm

Hi ShadowDoGGG – As well as opening up the Beta Trial to a limited number of additional subscribers, all PS+ subscribers were able to download Sackboy’s Prehistoric Moves for free, a week before it was made available to people generally on the Store.

Sweeeeeeeet

ShogunDarius 21 December, 2010 @ 6:12 pm   3

and any news on a decent collector’s edition? otherwise not getting the game on principle

samplane123 21 December, 2010 @ 6:13 pm   4

That’s fair.

MelficeSilesius 21 December, 2010 @ 6:16 pm   5

So… any more information on Collector’s Edition for Europe?
Like an explanation on why I haven’t seen a single Dutch retailer offering one?

… the Collector’s Edition is gonna be a UK, Germany and France-only deal, isn’t it?

Pin-Pin-Ire 21 December, 2010 @ 6:16 pm   6

That’s the best cover of OPM so far :D

I ordered the US collectors edition (the one with the bookstands). Why not bringing that one to the EU?
Still looking forward to this game!

MelficeSilesius 21 December, 2010 @ 6:20 pm   8

“So even though it’s an English game, we get the worst CE and we get it later than everybody else?

That’s fair.”

It’s an English game, published by a Japanese-gone-Global company. (Also: Find the release date for LBP2 for Japan. It’s published by Sony, a Japanese company, but they get it last!)
It sucks, but this is how it is.

Also, you get the worst CE, but at least you’re getting one. As my above message said, I haven’t seen a single store offering it in the Netherlands.

Agree about the CE, I’m disgusted by Sony’s heap of poop they are giving us compared to the US. I’ll just have to ship one in from there and forego any DLC.

Or maybe they will surprise us…

Viva-La-Baz 21 December, 2010 @ 6:21 pm   10

Hmmm, is the UK and Ireland not in Europe then? lol

Alex Pavey 21 December, 2010 @ 6:46 pm

Very good point – I should have said ‘across MAINLAND Europe’ – apologies :)

laticspieman 21 December, 2010 @ 6:21 pm   11

Why is uk now got a worse collector edition and also getting the game several days later. I dont mean to complain but can you explain why this is as im sure you can understand how to us this seems extremly unfair.

Alex Pavey 21 December, 2010 @ 6:46 pm

Hi laticspieman – The difference in releases dates is something common to nearly all games releases – retailers in the UK and Ireland restock with new releases on Fridays rather than Wednesdays. I know that’s frustrating when you want to get your hands on a new game though!

Woah, that story trailer was epic.

addyjones1234 21 December, 2010 @ 6:23 pm   13

Nice stuff :)

@10 blame the UK retailers, always have released on a Friday (for a while anyway), we would get it at the same time as Europe but they insist on Fridays…

GhostViper 21 December, 2010 @ 6:24 pm   14

Is the story levels in the demo the same as in the beta?

have been in the beta for some time now. its a ffff great game.
but that story trailer!! damn i want more..

Omg the music in vid #2
Win <3

JOHN-HONDA 21 December, 2010 @ 6:31 pm   17

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss-sssss. Finally!

shotgun_69 21 December, 2010 @ 6:37 pm   18

After playing the beta I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, this is going to be a game of the year contender for sure.

Alex Pavey 21 December, 2010 @ 6:51 pm

Glad you’re enjoying the Beta Trial – and I agree with you about ‘Game of the year contender’! :)

Baggie1993 21 December, 2010 @ 6:38 pm   19

Brilliant, but why are UK getting shafted with a crappy CE and later release date?

You’re UK devs for christ’s sakes.

I think it stupid that UK get it last, its a british game!

ObsidianKam 21 December, 2010 @ 6:42 pm   21

Please can people not blame Sony, and blame the retailers instead. They dictate the day of the week, which is normally a Friday in the UK, Thursday in Australasia and Wednesday in mainland Europe. The exce[t to this is for a major release (eg. COD, MGS, Halo, GTA etc..).

Also, SCEE, retailers have had 21st January listed for weeks now, so the release date is nothing new. So please confirm it sooner in future.

Alex Pavey 21 December, 2010 @ 6:50 pm

Thanks ObsidianKam – you’re right about the difference in release dates, it’s something common to almost all releases.

The reason why we’re only just officially confirming the date is that we prefer to wait until the code has gone ‘gold’ before doing this – that way we know 100% that the release date is right, and we don’t annoy anyone by changing the date at the last minute! :)

Obi1Kenob1 21 December, 2010 @ 6:57 pm   22

That’s really great news. I just wonder what about co-op in demo ? Or it’ll be just single player adventure ? ;)

Aurora_Bliss 21 December, 2010 @ 6:57 pm   23

GT5 was released on a Wednesday thought… just wish the retailers would do the same with this game! Am totally gutted about the CE thought. I wanted a cuddly sackboy :(

Can’t wait to get my hand on this game :)

Viva-La-Baz 21 December, 2010 @ 7:00 pm   25

This game will not be a Game of the year contender……It will be GOTY, no doubt about that :)

Baggie1993 21 December, 2010 @ 7:00 pm   26

The release date not being in your hands I can accept but why do America get such a better CE for roughly the same price?

Jamesyp00 21 December, 2010 @ 7:06 pm   27

Another one of the CE complainer here, can we please just have a dedicated answer to shut us all up now, I got so excited seeing that US CE and i thought we would have the same deal here, but alas we get a crappy steelbook and half the DLC, Can you please tell us why?

C_L_O_U_D_M_A_N 21 December, 2010 @ 7:08 pm   28

Congrats on finally reaching gold! Looking forward to tomorrow’s demo, I’m sure my little brother will be over the moon too!

nicolaischwartz 21 December, 2010 @ 7:13 pm   29

Looking forward to tommorow! And cant wait to the 19 january.

Alf13W4llac3 21 December, 2010 @ 7:14 pm   30

I am sooooooo looking forward to this. Some of the things created in the beta so far look brilliant. I cant wait to see what the whole community gets up to with the final game.

thomdibble 21 December, 2010 @ 7:15 pm   31

LBP2 looks great! loved the first one, never really used the creation features though. may wait a bit until getting my copy as get no PSN access back at uni and i think a title like this deserves full connectivity. looks great

Cringles88 21 December, 2010 @ 7:15 pm   32

Any idea how big the demo file is? My connection is slow :(

G-IH-O-S-T 21 December, 2010 @ 7:17 pm   33

As much as I like the game I just can’t keep silence over what you did to the different CEs. Just why’s that?
It’s supposed to be the same since it’s the same Edition, am I wrong?

Of course I’m grateful that you gave us a steelcase, but that’s just it! different Awesome avatars, Not confirmed. Costumes, less.
I’m afraid there’s nothing more I can say since I mintioned every piece coming with the EU CE (which are too many to count) AND that there’s a catch in it /:

’19th January 2011 across Europe’ OMG i can’t wait :P :P :P LOVE LBP;)

Jamesyp00 21 December, 2010 @ 7:34 pm   35

Come on please just tell us why about the CE, I don’t want to have to spend more on an import and miss out on a load of nice costumes for my sackboy :/

CYBER-SNAKE55 21 December, 2010 @ 8:00 pm   36

Will the costume of the sackboy shown first in the post be availible in game or will it be a dlc or is it not real?

I haven’t seen a collector’s edition around here either. Now we have to wait in anxiety :(

LOL @ShogunDarius #3

Cutting off your nose to spite your face? :D

I’m sure the “standard” version of LBP2 has more content and goodies than most of the Collectors Editions available for other games.

Awesome , can’t wait. How can anyone say with will be GOTY with UC3 , ME3 and Skyrim coming out though? That’s just ignorance .

*this

gamer0808 21 December, 2010 @ 8:24 pm   41

I really don’t understand why do we (UK or Europe) never get decent collectors edition? Media Molecule is based in London, so we should get something better than anyone else but yet we get some crappy tin box and it has a collectors edition name on it wow this is ridiculous i was waiting for an announcement but you guys have definitely disappointed.

Are you able to play the demo with more than 1 person?

Is the demo the same as the beta?

ShadowFlex 21 December, 2010 @ 8:47 pm   44

“Friday 21st January in the UK and Ireland.”

A huge Twenty Seven days to spend all my Christmas money and game cards on…Something else! Perhaps a collectors edition game with…Collectibles? My hype for this game has been drained and drained as they’ve made all the same mistakes as LBP1′s launch. Hope everyone enjoys the online lag, dlc fest and the sever downtime because this trends growing. I’m officially off this game franchise for life. I understand it’s not PSBlogs problem so I’ll still show you guys the love.

Another note: The trade-off for not getting open beta was a free PS-Move game? A PS-Move game near the launch of PS-Move and the ideal window for people to be buying it (Christmas) Yeah that’s called “Marketing” You get no brownie points for that. I already own a Wii I do not need a late over glorified one.

cthulhu85 21 December, 2010 @ 8:50 pm   45

What a great day to release the game :D I’ve just come home from 2 weeks offshore at that point, and is ready to blast through LBP2 :D Thanks a lot!

I so hope that the cool costume (eskimo?)on the start will be in the game.

Dante_Zero 21 December, 2010 @ 9:05 pm   47

still not happy about the lack of a super duper collectors edition. Which is why i shall be putting off purchasing this till later in the year as i will be mainly playing DCUO

XYZHiro06 21 December, 2010 @ 9:19 pm   48

Hi and great news on finally going gold! Just a few questions:

1. Is GAME the only retailer we will expect to get the collector’s edition or will it be available from play.com, amazon.co.uk etc.

2. Will you post all of the pre-order bonuses on the blog?

I’m asking because the release date is fast approaching and i want to pre-order as soon as possible before its too late.

Thanks

Chocobo115 21 December, 2010 @ 9:26 pm   49

Thanks to your screwing us over with the CE I went down to normal edition, prettier boxart, cheaper (at my retailer) & I can buy the costumes when they get out on PSN if I’d ever want them.

Skookie30 21 December, 2010 @ 9:34 pm   50

Once again i say this: alex why don’t you open Up LBP-2 ß To all? i‘m Fed up To my back teeth we always get the raw deal in EU not on Par with SCEA.

all that remains is to wish MM & Co a happy/Merry Xmas :|

Mattiebo123 21 December, 2010 @ 9:35 pm   51

To those complaining about the Collectors Edition, the reason you can’t find it at any retailers is because the additional products aren’t 100% sorted. Be patient and stop moaning about it.

Jamesyp00 21 December, 2010 @ 9:51 pm   52

@Mattie123 What were complaining about is the fact the UK’s Collectors Edition is Terrible in comparison to the one the US is getting, but Media Molecule haven’t said why it’s so bad.

twistedintoform 21 December, 2010 @ 10:17 pm   53

the plushie’s already been available for a while here (in the UK at least). http://www.firebox.com/product/2645/Sackboy-Plush

i saw some of the videos joystiq put up the other day, and some of the sports games created within the beta looked great. especially the pool one. i played a lot of the original lbp, but i must confess, i never finished the story mode.

january is very crammed though. LBP2, mass effect 2, dead space 2, as well as DCUO for the comic/MMO crowd.

The odd thing is no-one is complaining about cost. What seems to be the inference is “Sony & MM, we want to spend our money on your fantastic (US) CE. No one wants the UK one.
From a business perspective, this makes no sense! Let us give you our money!

privateguy123 21 December, 2010 @ 10:35 pm   55

AWESOME! ON the North America, will the playstation magazine have Littlebigplanet 2 screenshots and reviews?

how about the free copy of mag all psn+ us users are getting?
when do we get that ?

Official magazine gives big exclusive 10/10? Wow didn’t see that one coming. :D Never trust official mags. Too biased.

Still, LBP looks set to be great though I’m still feeling conned from the first game. Why did I have to purchase the Pirates of the Caribbean Pack to get water? Should have been separate.

So LBP2 is less than a month away and only ONE retailer is listing Pre-order bonus DLC (Play) no-one is offering the promised ‘additional physical goodies’ and all the retailers who have the ‘Collectors’ Edition listed are charging more for it than the standard edition even though in a previous LBP2 Blog post “one important and cool thing” was bigged up about the CE having “the same recommended retail price (RRP) as the standard edition”

It’s a bit of a poor show :(

barebackbadger81 21 December, 2010 @ 11:58 pm   59

well that says it all now, especially with the release date in the uk being last!
but i just want confirmation on where i can get the ratchet and clank dlc from?

CRASHBASHUK 22 December, 2010 @ 12:13 am   60

hay whats happenig with the R&C preorder bonus?

Chalk me up as another one who won’t be getting this due to being shafted over the Collector’s Edition. I was looking forward to getting the bookends but now I won’t be getting this at all! Shame on you, all concerned.

Thx mm for lbp2, and for someone whom has played the beta I must warn the community that SACKBOY NEEDS HIS TESLACLES TO SAVE US ALL FROM THE EVIL PLAGIARISING EINSTEINEGATIVITRONS…nuff said )) Roll on Jan 19, 20 & 21.

Thanks mm for lbp2. For someone whom has played the beta, I must warn the community that SACKBOY NEEDS HIS TESLACLES TO SAVE US ALL FROM THE EVIL PLAGIARISING EINSTEINEGATIVITRONS!!! )) Roll on 19, 20 & 21 Jan.

TheMaxDaddy 22 December, 2010 @ 1:37 am   64

Hi Alex
Im sure its been said already, but WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! demooooooooooooo. I love what you and MM did with LBP. I was late to the party, but it was still jumping and still is, years after it was released.
Thank you for being so creative and allowing other peoples creativity to be shown. Thank you for the prehistoric sackboy experience too.

Day 1. I rarely buy day 1. Keep doing what you do and I look forward to experiencing your new game and whatever else you have in store for us all.

Kanyeeezy 22 December, 2010 @ 8:55 am   65

OMG this is great news ! I cant wait to download this demo, i did not really get around to playing the first one til my heart was content but i will make sure i dont let this one pass me by. Thank you guys ! Merry xmas

Can’t wait to play the Demo! It’s not on the PS Store yet… when does the Store update?

Pro_espace72 22 December, 2010 @ 9:51 am   67

AWSOME!! January will be the best month ever :) My birthday is on January and I get LittleBigPlanet 2! Thanks! :)

Merry Christmas to you Alex and all other people in MM! (Can you say them Merry Christmas from Pro_espace72? :D )

LittleBigPlanet 2 WILL be the Game Of The Year! (2011)

Alex, saying “UK retailers restock on a Friday” doesn’t answer the question.

Why aren’t Sony giving the game to UK retailers on the preceding Friday so that the UK gets the game first?

Its totally bonkers that a UK developed game – that draws from the developers UK based experiences (Take Hart, Why Don’t You etc) and has an intrinsic Britishness to it – is released last in the country that gave birth to it.

girvalkyrie 22 December, 2010 @ 12:10 pm   69

is it true that you can still use the DLC’s from LBP1 on this game?

poorolddave 22 December, 2010 @ 1:03 pm   70

Alex – do you know what the two pieces of music are that are used in the campaign trailer?

The lack of engagement on the topic of what is widely regarded in the fanbase (the main target demographic) as a poor Collectors Edition is disturbing, and something I’d expect in the realm of politics. I really enjoyed LBP1, and this was on my buy at release list, but not now – there’s been plenty of time to qualify or rectify the US/EU CE difference since it was announced, but still nothing.

At the end of the day though, it’s just a videogame release so to get het up about it would be silly. Merry christmas to all at SCEE, here’s hoping 2011 is a better year for all!

ShogunDarius 22 December, 2010 @ 1:53 pm   72

you know that silence to my question about if we are gonna get a decent collector’s edition? thats the same silence my wallet will be making when lbp releases here (i’m not gonna open it)

I was wondering when will we learn about the pre-order bonuses for the CE edition of the game in the UK? There’s only a month left until the game gets released and I still don’t know whether it is worth to pre-order (well, ignoring the advantage of getting the game faster).

when does the demo come out in england

sillyman1998 22 December, 2010 @ 6:05 pm   75

Its gone past 6pm and still no sing of that demo

sillyman1998 22 December, 2010 @ 6:07 pm   76

no sign i ment to say

Looks Coooooooooooooooool :D

sillyman1998 22 December, 2010 @ 6:29 pm   78

Alex is the demo coming out on the 22nd or not

random12435 22 December, 2010 @ 8:30 pm   79

@78

The Demo is out now in the store. I’m downloading it right now and it’s nearly half way done :)

RemyX-1988 23 December, 2010 @ 4:32 pm   80

The European Collector’s Edition is WORTHLESS! We also want the Sackboy Plushie! Why can the US get it, and not us? Are we less than the Americans? Explain, please? Thanks in advance!

emils2112 23 December, 2010 @ 6:47 pm   81

will this be on Playstation Store ?

emils2112 23 December, 2010 @ 6:53 pm   82

i mean with Full Game

barebackbadger81 23 December, 2010 @ 10:54 pm   83

the sony guy aint going to answer the harsher questions/queries is he? he only answers the questions or comments when someone brown noses sony/developer

Wait, what, SACKBOY PLUSHIE?!

Seriously, if it’s not in any collector’s edition in the European version, then I’ll be waiting to the day the plushies are sold separately, and for an affordable price. Although I have too many plushies already.

alonsotorres13 1 January, 2011 @ 2:36 am   85

This is one of Playstation’s secret treasures. :D

I was hoping to get my hands on the Collector’s Edition, but I still haven’t found any retailer offering it for the Netherlands…

If anyone at Media Molecule is still following this post, at least one of you can surely answer a question I’ve been asking since LBP 2′s CE announcement: Do the DLC codes you get when buying the UK game work on a Dutch PSN account? And if they don’t, will the Jak costume ever be available on the PSN store?

The main reason for me to buy the Collector’s Edition is that I want the Jak costume, as I’ve been hoping to get one since LBP 1′s release. All the other costumes are nice extras, and if there are ‘physical’ goodies included as well, that’s awesome as well, but I’m willing to pay the extra euros for the Jak costume only, so I really hope someone can finally provide me an answer to my question…

This_Human 5 January, 2011 @ 8:18 pm   87

Is there a week one item? And if I pre ordered would I have a chance of getting the week one item if the delivery is 3-5 days? Thanks mm lbp2 is just awesome!!!
Please answer it’s urgent! Lol

DaRkaVeNGeR21 10 January, 2011 @ 4:33 pm   88

I really really really want the game but we get it late so all english people deserve the beta

ottclaret 11 January, 2011 @ 7:14 pm   89