Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 7:54pm

Oddworld Stranger’s Wrath For PSN: Taking HD Remakes To The Next Level

Long time no see! Since Gravity Crash Portable was launched we’ve kept our heads down while working on a bunch of stuff. During the summer we started working exclusively on Oddworld projects, and I’m here today to talk about the first title we announced: Oddworld Stranger’s Wrath.

Oddworld Stranger's Wrath for PS3: Stranger

You may have heard of this game before – it was originally released in March 2005, but we’re doing an HD remake for PSN. Recently there have been a whole raft of HD remakes coming to the PS3, and to be able to work on this project and take the definition of “HD Remake” to the next level has been a dream come true.

Not only are we revamping various aspects of the game such as texture resolution, user interface and game audio, but we’re also overhauling the character models. You’ll no doubt have seen the visual update we’ve done to the main character, Stranger. We’re updating every character in the game in similar style, and today I’d like to introduce you to a couple more.

Oddworld Stranger's Wrath for PS3: Storekeeper

First up we have the Clakkerz, the general population from the towns at the start of the game all the way to New Yolk City. The guy pictured above is the Store Keeper, he runs the General Store where you get to buy ammo and upgrades, and is always wise cracking, ahem, with you. A lot of my passion for this game is the story and the script, there is so much humour in there that you can’t help but laugh out loud at times!

Next we have the Grubb Natives. These guys are afraid of their own shadows and mistrust anyone, especially a tall Stranger that comes into their settlement, but is there a reason for that? Their story unfolds farther in the game.

Oddworld Stranger's Wrath for PS3: Grubb Male

In Stranger’s Wrath you play a bounty hunter, tracking down various villains and capturing them. To do this, you don’t use a gun but LIVE ammunition. And by “live” we really mean that – your ammo are little critters with special abilities, and at times the damned things even back chat you. So the critters sit on your crossbow and talk to you, then when the time’s right, you press the trigger and send them on their way.

This little guy is my favourite, the Chippunk, cause he’s a wise-cracking chipmunk-like guy!

Oddworld Stranger's Wrath for PS3: Chippunk

Over the coming weeks and months, we will be back to talk to you more about the PS3 version of Stranger’s Wrath, including other updates and additions to the game we are making.

Thanks, and we hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

21 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
ConvStation 22 December, 2010 @ 8:09 pm   1

what about Munch’s Oddysee?

Keep up the good work Stewart :D

Oldest_Ancient 22 December, 2010 @ 8:20 pm   3

Wow, it’s impressive to see the difference it can make.

Any word of a release date yet?

I got this on Steam this weekend and remembered how much I loved it. I’ll be getting it on PS3 too, but not for the graphics but the remastered voices. Because Strangers’ voice right now is kinda… terrible.

Haha just noticed that you’re directly saying “xbox” on PS blog. Just come out and say it : PS always wins. :D

i was disapointed when oddworld went to xbox, glad to see youre bringing Stranger and hopefully Munch back to playstation

AWSOME :)

FatalExpert 22 December, 2010 @ 9:04 pm   8

This game was immense, easily one of my games of the year back when it was released – still own it on the Xbox. Can’t wait to see what you’ve done with it.

Didn’t someone who used to make(or they still do)the ‘Oddworld’ games once say the PS2 was going to fail once? LoL how wrong they was.

I can’t remember a Chippunk closeup but the rest look a lot more faithful to how I remember them in the amazing pre-rendered video so it’s bridging the quality gap nicely. I especially like the male Grubb’s more clearly defined fat, overhanging belly!

With the PlayStation Move support, I believe some games like MAG don’t have the annoying aiming drift of other pointer games so if you could look into that I’d be grateful.

Hopefully it will run better than that atrocious joke of a port you released for Steam.

Oh it’s on like Donkey Kong, This is a day 1 purchase.

Make another Abe centric game please.

fossilfern 23 December, 2010 @ 12:30 am   14

Since you are going all out on this remake is there any chance of a retail edition of this game ? Id love to have a physical copy for my Oddworld collection I have going on :D

beastilyone 23 December, 2010 @ 6:36 am   15

all i can say is YES!

Awesome! The change on the Chipmunk is remarkable.

ROBERTWARNES 23 December, 2010 @ 9:41 am   17

I thought the day would never come, that I would see the word “Xbox” in a Playstation Blog post. :P

Smokescreen1982 23 December, 2010 @ 10:51 am   18

Any news on whether Munch’s Oddyssey will ever have the HD treatment on PS3? We’d all have the full set then :)

shortfuse14 23 December, 2010 @ 3:41 pm   19

Hey I know this is off topic but my little brother cant view his profile it starts to load then stops at 20% and says
*An error has occurred (80022011)* help please!!!!!

Stonesthrow 23 December, 2010 @ 4:30 pm   20

awesome, OI remember this game didnt release on playstation (die microsoft..) while it’s another one of those series that got big on playstation and spiritually could be called a ‘playstation exclusive’ (like mgs, ff, gta, tekken,..which have all gone multiplatform too now..) and all of a sudden the sequel was xbox exclusive..

this is a great chance to pick up on that, thank you sony

i would like to see a sonic adventure II now and a shenmue on psn.. i dont care if they enhance it to HD. i just miss that game