Posted 10:27am

Next Generation Portable (NGP): All The Early Details

Next Generation Portable (NGP): All The Early Details

Today in Tokyo, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. announced the next generation portable entertainment system (codename: NGP). NGP will make its debut at the end of the 2011, but here’s everything you need to know right now.

Key NGP features:

• Multi-touch 5-inch organic light emitting display (OLED) as the front display
  • Multi-touch pad on the rear of the device
  • Dual analog sticks
  • Two cameras (front and rear)
  • Software titles on small, dedicated flash memory-based cards
  • Three motion sensors, gyroscope, accelerometer and electronic compass
  • Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity
  • PlayStation Network access, including “”LiveArea™”, “Near” and “Activity” log features Trophy Support
  • NGP will be able to play PSP titles, minis, PS one classics and video from the PlayStation Store, as well as all games newly released via PlayStation Suite.

Technical Specs:

CPU ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
GPU SGX543MP4+
External Dimensions Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
Screen
(Touch screen)
5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED
Multi touch screen (capacitive type)
Rear touch pad Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
Cameras Front camera, Rear camera
Sound Built-in stereo speakers
Built-in microphone
Sensors Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
Location Built-in GPS
Wi-Fi location service support
Keys / Switches PS button
Power button
Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
Right stick, Left stick
START button, SELECT button
Volume buttons (+/-)
Wireless communications Mobile network connectivity (3G)
IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1×1) (Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)
Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

• Hot Shots Golf
  • Reality Fighters
  • Gravity Daze
  • Smart As
  • Broken
  • Hustle Kings

It’s still early going, so we understand that you likely have questions not addressed here. Details such as release date, price, and more will be announced in due course. We’ll keep you updated.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

182 Comments 5 Author replies
Show oldest first

Sweet i want one now!

James Gallagher 27 January, 2011 @ 11:09 am

Adam is currently replying to comments on the last post and I’ll ask him to jump on here too, as he is more of an authority on this than I.

AstroZombie1 27 January, 2011 @ 10:34 am   2

Meh..

Thirsty-Duck 27 January, 2011 @ 10:35 am   3

Yo, PSN blog, I’m really happy for you. and I’mma let you finish. But what about that update that we didn’t even know about? Why can’t you post stuff that actually matters to me?

James Gallagher 27 January, 2011 @ 10:45 am

Sorry I missed that one – setting this up has been kinda’ all-consuming. It’s a minor update that adds a security patch, as you can read on the US PlayStation.Blog: http://bit.ly/huJLtJ

alc_the_talc 27 January, 2011 @ 10:36 am   4

Sweet, pre-order and day 1 purchase

JUST as i was thinking of getting a psp, hahhahaha nice, gives me more time to save up

Looks promising games look amazing but i am afraid the 3DS has the casual market by the balls!

GulfWarVet 27 January, 2011 @ 10:39 am   7

No hdmi/tv out connector ala slim/3000? Price? And dont go stupidly expensive.£199 and it’ll fly, over £250 and you will see poor long term sales.

This looks amazing, and it blows the 3DS out of the water. Who needs headache inducing glasses free 3D when you can have what ammounts to a mini PS3 in your pocket.

Not even vaguely interested in the next digital only handheld device from Sony.

SCEE (or SCE) have shown that digital content support is middling to poor during the PSPGo lifetime.

Until this region can demonstrate swift and encompassing support for digital only devices, I will stay well clear.

Looks nice tho. :p

Drian_Thierf 27 January, 2011 @ 10:40 am   10

This is the reason i’m going to E3 :)

Goffeentl 27 January, 2011 @ 10:41 am   11

FACTS so far:

A non-final hardware design, (every picture [gallery here] says design and specifications subject to change).
Some lovely looking games technology demos from many industry big hitters. What I think will happen is lots of game+ editions (MGS4+, MHP3Turbo, etc) with new content, extra levels and so on.
A code name – NGP will not be the final system name.
Battery life is being quoted at 4-5 hours
Sony will sell the unit at a loss, so price could be lower than expected
Some big names still not on the publishing list

More details http://bit.ly/hXdAUi

Do want.

Can’t wait. I hope you price it reasonably. :-)

almighty-slayer 27 January, 2011 @ 10:43 am   14

@Danlisa

It’s not digital only.

Edit – My bad. Software on dedicated flash cards. Now I am interested. ;)

Anyone know how much internal storage it will have?

Can’t wait to see actual games.

So we can guess that E3 will be mostly about NGP this year like the Move last year. Imagine 2 Uncharted games this year.

I am unsure how the spec is measured but how much RAM has this compared to the PSP?

TheHappyTurtle 27 January, 2011 @ 10:56 am   18

“Software titles on small, dedicated flash memory-based cards”

Untill the NGP GO! comes out rendering your purchases useless.

cakeforme288 27 January, 2011 @ 10:56 am   19

no dought this will put a tank of a dent in my memory card and disc space, not to mention the battry power, but I will buy one if it is under £250

This looks amazing…
hopefully it will not be priced to high..

Glad I buy DD rather than UMD’s :)

Looks good. Hope it doesn’t require some kind of contract for the 3G stuff, and hope a smaller form factor comes out soon afterwards!

strandedPL 27 January, 2011 @ 11:07 am   22

battery life?

DANTHEMAN121 27 January, 2011 @ 11:11 am   23

This looks SWEEEEET can’t wait for this just want to know the price either way i’m buying

great news guys EPIC

cakeforme288 27 January, 2011 @ 11:11 am   24

@22

if roumers are true that this NGP will rival the ps3 graphics, it is important to consider the battery power required to generate it

Highly interested and i’ll probably get one not long after launch given everything unveiled until now makes it beyond anything most could have dreamed of, but as an always connected device it’ll need a decent web browser, at least 6 hours battery life -1/4 of a day- and some sort of skype equivalent.

Carnivius_Prime 27 January, 2011 @ 11:16 am   26

I want one. Simple as that. A better PSP (I love my current one and would very much welcome a hell of an upgrade like this) and basically it seems like the PS3 of portable gaming. Definitely what I want. Didn’t even know it had six-axis in it too. Nice.

Will it still support remote play? I use that function a lot especially to access my PS3′s videos from a wi fi point like the library and with 3G I guess that means I could do it anywhere?

Akinokaze-FA 27 January, 2011 @ 11:18 am   27

Considering how awful the analogue stick of the PSP 2000′s is I really hope there’s been a major change to this one beyond just adding a second [honestly, I hate using the psp's analogue stick cause it's so bad.]

quarkquest 27 January, 2011 @ 11:19 am   28

Looks great, controls are amazing now both physical and back and front touch. 5″ OLED and high resolution, oh man. Also the processing quadcore CPU/GPU power. I think you CoD, UC, MGS4 others will make a big mark on PSP2. However, I am curious, will it have HDMI output? SD card based flash? How much is ram? What about OS? is it android based? How would you make the price reasonable with such high specs? will you support stereosopic 3D?

James,

We want a real changelog. Not some “its a small security patch”.

Could you please try to find out what we can expect on longer term?

Will we get much more of these “useless” updates and will the dev team only focus on security patches that get hacked within a (few) week(s) and not put any effort in really fixing the PS3 things that need fixing and that the real customers have paid for and want? Like the PS3 webbrowser…

Shou_Kobayashi 27 January, 2011 @ 11:22 am   30

Okay,

how will I play my UMD based games I bought for the PSP on the NGP?

A source confirms: Battary life ONLY 4 – 5 hours? WHAT? hope that’s a joke.

Do’h!
forgot to say… THIS LOOKS AWESOME! :D I wonder if it’s worth to buy it now or wait for a slim one^^

i take it ppl now have 2 buy flash sticks instead off the UMD?
and so all ppl who bought |UMD get screwed offer not 2 forget everybody buying digital cause there are hardly any games on psn store

Software titles on small, dedicated flash memory-based cards

I like it. But I still see errors

1: the new psp does Not look that sleek. A device like that just needs to look as good as possible

2: the left analog stick should switch places with the D-pad. Sometimes your thumb hurts when playing long on the current psp. It’s just more comfortable.

Sony, Fix these issues please.

@Jaaay2k

if it’s only 4-5 hours than it’s not really improvement cause it’s a handheld the older psp had a horrible battery life

RagingAvatar 27 January, 2011 @ 11:33 am   36

Is there any new as to whether games will be physicaly available in shops (GAME/Zavvi/HMV/Play.com/Amazon) or is this a download only console?

Are there going to be any policies in place that mean that games that are available physically must be available digitally? That was pretty frustrating for PSP Go users I imagine.

I love the look of the PSP2, but I’m not hyped before I hear the price. I wouldn’t be surprised by “599$!!!”.

abigsmurf 27 January, 2011 @ 11:34 am   38

“in due course”

As in later today or some date closer to launch?

Skookie30 27 January, 2011 @ 11:37 am   39

Adam answer my question without answer my question.

New toy Same crap mutil-region is here to stay gonna be a other Crap year for us SHAFTED EU inferior region & the New toy will be a white elephant like the GO was.

posted to other: “We will announce further detail on the battery life but I can confirm that NGP will be able to play digital versions of PSP titles, minis, PS one classics from the PlayStation Store, as well as all games newly released via PlayStation Suite”

What the point of that as we cant get PS1 classics in the 1st place Sony thinks we so dumb New toy ppl will snap it up even if there will be lack support for it.

i decided i will wait now & i dont think it be in under £250 range. :P

@Skookie30

the way you keep mentioning the white elephant kinda makes it seem there are a lot off them
anyhow price is probably as expensuve as a new ps3 so ya better off buying a ps3 atleast there are games for ps3 nowadays

HiddenAway 27 January, 2011 @ 11:42 am   41

Is there a video out function? If so, what type of connection?

Thanks in advance. Can’t wait to hear more about this!

Skookie30 27 January, 2011 @ 11:44 am   42

Here a idea with the PS-suite as a new store interface as that what it is for mobile devices use that for ALL psn Content we can tranfer on PS3 & back again.

the NGP will be able to link to the ps3 like the other PSP‘s is that right adam. :|

BLEACH-Fan 27 January, 2011 @ 11:46 am   43

If it has a great lineup on launch and at a reasonable price I will buy it day 1 Sony =)

Back to also ask about video out.

The psp go charger is great as it includes the usb cable and is easy to travel with, the same for the ngp could/would be nice.

johndrinkwater 27 January, 2011 @ 11:52 am   45

Hi,
Hoping Andrew reads this, is Sony looking for developers to help work on the software platform (infrastructure/features)? NGP really needs to be day & night above PSP/PS3 behaviour – friends lists should be on the device, not pulled down whenever you log in, etc.
Hire me to point out all the pain points and offer solutions.

Skookie30 27 January, 2011 @ 11:53 am   46

I wont be pre-order it when the time comes need more infor first. it was a great start turn out a whimper :)

SO much win here. I heard Kojima rendered a scene from MGS4 on it. Uncharted’s on it at launch?!

But then there’s fail… Android?! PS games GOING to other devices? Why buy the NGP then? Just wait for google to copy the specs and we’ll get the same games.

Also… ANDROID?!??!?! This thing is going to be hacked quicker than the iPad.

Blackxino 27 January, 2011 @ 11:54 am   48

no Ninja Gaiden for PsP2? NGP?>:/

Croopnick_PL 27 January, 2011 @ 11:57 am   49

I bet some features wont work in Poland.

so what’s the point in having a portable ps3. i alrdy own a standard ps3. morons haven’t mentioned battery life yet so could even be less than 4-5 hours i so hope it fails it probably will japan never liked the pspGo cause off digital format

Load all