Posted 18 February

Join The Gamocracy On PlayStation

Dear PlayStation community and soon to be game designers, I’m excited to officially unveil a brand new project in which YOU will be designing a game that will be released on PlayStation Network later this year.

Gamocracy poster

We are working with a talented Swedish developer called The Bearded Ladies Consulting, who you may know as the creators of Landit Bandit, which is available from PlayStation Store now. They are currently working on an action platformer that will be released on the minis category of the Store and they want your help to design every aspect of it, from the design of the lead character to the storyline and the name.

Here’s how it will work:

Workflow

• Every Friday from now, for eight weeks, we will post a new challenge to the community on the official PlayStation forums.
  • The following Friday, the top 5-10 submissions will be presented in an open vote on The Bearded Ladies facebook page, which will last until Sunday. The winning submission will be included in the game and the creator will be credited in the game credits.

Now that you know how it all works and how to get involved, allow me to hand over to The Bearded Ladies for them to introduce the first challenge and offer a few insider tips. You can start adding your ideas right now on the official PlayStation forums by clicking one of the following links, depending on your language: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Polish, Scandinavian languages.

Week 1: The people need a HERO!

The first thing our game needs is a protagonist and story. This “hero” could be anything that fits a platformer (which historically is… anything!). A hero also needs some extraordinary circumstances in order to show of his or her heroics. So we would also like you to include a quest/setting that our protagonist will have to navigate. Try to include the following:

• A graphical representation of the hero (don’t worry, it’s not an art contest, we will make him look great in the end).
  • An interesting setting/quest that will create good gameplay opportunities.
  • Special abilities/characteristics of the character that could further enhance the gameplay.

From our side you will be judged not on your art ability, but on the overall concept. Remember however that in the end it is your job to sell it to the rest of the community, and some nice colours always help. ;)

The winner of this challenge will be credited as gamedesigner (“original concept by”).
The focus of this project however is not the competition but the collaborative effort, so ANY ideas that catch our interest might end up in the game and the community
member(s) that generated them will be credited.
Since we will get a lot of contributions there is one rule:

THE CONCEPT MUST BE PRESENTED IN A JPG ATTACHMENT WITH A MAX RESOLUTION OF 520×1024. This constraint comes from the fact that we need to show off the contributions on facebook which has a maximum content width of 520 pixels. Any additional information about your concept can be added to the forum post (which we will link to as well) but remember that the image will be your “pitch” on facebook.

Tips from The Bearded Ladies

David Skarin – Programming

Portrait_David_Programming

It’s all about thinking outside the box, so making your main character something that is already outside the norm can make it easier for you to come up with great gameplay elements. I love playing around with new ideas, so don’t be afraid of going “out there.” :)

Kalle Söderberg – Character animation

Portrait_Kalle_Animation

Giving the characters features that make for contrast between limbs and body is great for a 2D platformer where there is limited resolution. Think of Mario’s plumber outfit: it makes his arms really stand out in the animations.

Example: An English alien in New York

Here follows an example of how a contribution could look. This is by no means the only way to do it; as stated earlier, the only rule will be that it has to come in the form of a JPG image with a maximum resolution of 520×1024. Also note that there is no need to make very child friendly concepts (as our example) but refrain from building your concept on graphic violence since the end product will have to fit the PEGI-12 rating.

TrentonTweed_Example

TrentonTweed_GameScreen

We really hope you enjoy this collaborative project and everyone involved is itching to see what ideas to come up with and how they shape the game each week. The Bearded Ladies will be keeping you posted with a developer diary here on PlayStation.Blog, so let’s all get to know each other and get started on what will hopefully be a brilliant final game.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

25 Comments 11 Author replies
Show oldest first

and a percentage of the sales perhaps?

wasn’t playstation home created similarly …by a then 21 year old from liverpool – oh but wait he didn’t even receive credit for that did he?

think i will pass did my indentured servitude with my experiential learning module in my second year at uni

Take that, Michael Buble.

Nice going SCEE, this should be fun!

James Gallagher 18 February, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

erm, little help with the reference? I’d love for him to be our hero, but he’d sue us so hard we’d all be on the streets, selling pebbles with PS logos painted on them in ketchup.

almighty-slayer 18 February, 2011 @ 12:21 pm   3

James, how much do your pebbles with PS logos on them cost? Actually, i don’t care how much they cost, i’ll take 10!

Hope this project goes well, i’m useless at this kind of thing myself though. But i look forward to seeing what comes out of it :)

IP harvesting at its best. Well done sony ;)

Ha now this sounds like fun, I will let my twisted little imagination run free for a while and get back to you…

When I click on Dutch I donĀ“t get a page….

What about Kevin Butler?
Then we’d finally have the Kevin Butler video game!

In all seriousnesssess’ tough, i really like this idea, i hope i can take part.

Bearskopff 18 February, 2011 @ 1:06 pm   8

What a fantastic idea! I can’t wait to see what the PS community dream up!

James Gallagher 18 February, 2011 @ 1:10 pm

We’re all waiting and watching the forums. It’s quiet right now but I can smell a creative storm bubbling underground.

Bearskopff 18 February, 2011 @ 1:21 pm   9

Hopefully the competition will be placed on the front page of the forum soon. What with it looking a little flashier, it’s an ideal place to garner some attention.

^That’s the badger :D

almighty-slayer 18 February, 2011 @ 1:30 pm   10

Love the KB idea ;)

kevin butler platform he runs round colecting parts that been takin out like ps2 support and other os shouting it does it well ? (well it used to any way )

treasad626 18 February, 2011 @ 2:15 pm   12

great blog

AndyBeans 18 February, 2011 @ 2:25 pm   13

Oh, this sounded a lot more interesting before I realised it’s just a skinning exercise for an engine they’ve probably already developed. I thought it was something for people who can program. I’ll pass thanks, I haven’t been into “art competitions” since I was 10.

Cloudedpaul 18 February, 2011 @ 3:31 pm   14

ok done, lead player, enemies, abilitys, story and boss all done, i also did some level design, i will have to re write it all and re draw it all on the computer because i doubt anyone could read my hand writing from scans, this was fun thanks!

Cloudedpaul 18 February, 2011 @ 3:33 pm   15

oh yeah where the hell do i submit this stuff?

James, I know this is not the right place for this, but as Ross seems to be AWOL, so maybe you can pass this on.

There is problem with Store. In store the new Trinity Universe DLC’s are linked to old ones.

And then PS Home…. What is going on? Home is inaccessible from scandinavian countries for four (4) weeks now.

Have a nice day! _o/

Cloudedpaul 18 February, 2011 @ 4:48 pm   17

ok thanks my game is there now its called ZERO to HERO i hope everyone enjoys my brilliant art skills lol

Cloudedpaul 18 February, 2011 @ 4:50 pm   18

edit*

its called HERO to ZERO

An English Alien in New York please! :p

I’d agree with the KB Platformer though, to be called ‘VP of Gamocracy’?

spartan-nuke 18 February, 2011 @ 5:44 pm   20

uhhmm.. can Indian residents participate? :/

Haraldur Thormundsson 18 February, 2011 @ 5:50 pm

Yes of course. I don’t think think there is an indian specific part of the forum, but you seem proficient enough in english to just post on the english one.

Glad to have you with us, there must be so much great game designer geniouses in India that no one knows about.

Haraldur Thormundsson 18 February, 2011 @ 5:56 pm

Sure I’m convinced that there are no regional restrictions. The only requirements the Bearded Ladies have is that you have fun in the process. If you are serious about your submission then there are a few points you need to have in mind and you will find those on the forums. Goood luck.

DeadBrainPL 18 February, 2011 @ 6:06 pm   21

It seems that there is an error, and when I open the Polish page, I see a mesasge – “Sorry, you do not have sufficient privileges for that action.”

Can I submit my work to the English forum?

Also, loving the idea, will start to work right away!

(BTW my country’s top game magazine – CD-Action posted this on their page, that’s how I got to know about it)

spartan-nuke 18 February, 2011 @ 6:34 pm   22

Oh thank you so much! :) I’ll start working on my story right away! :D
Superhero’s already done! haha!

cakeforme288 19 February, 2011 @ 11:32 am   23

In soviet russia, games create YOU.

couldnt resist that :D

NickJamesWalton 27 February, 2011 @ 2:02 pm   25

How do I post my concepts and idea’s? o: