Posted 11:47pm

Mortal Kombat Demo 3D Hands-On: What You’ll Get On Wednesday

Mortal Kombat for PS3

Sometimes, life is about the simple pleasures. The contended cooing of a sleepy puppy. The smell of freshly baked cinnamon rolls. The sickening crunch of Scorpion stomping your ribcage while an X-ray view displays the internal damage in real time. In 3D.

Yes, friends. I have played the Mortal Kombat PSN demo, and it is good. Comprised of four characters and two stages, the demo is a meaty preview of what to expect when the full game hits PS3 on 21st April in the EU. PlayStation Plus subscribers in the EU are getting early access this coming Wednesday 9 March and it’ll be delivered directly to your PS3 as long as you enable Automatic Downloads on your XMB settings.

The demo comes with four playable fighters: Johnny Cage, Mileena, Scorpion, and Sub-Zero. Fan-favorite Scorpion is nastier than ever, packing his trademark throwing spear (“Get over here”!) and a wicked new sword, while rival ninja Sub-Zero forges weapons from ice and shatters internal organs with a touch. Hollywood prima donna Johnny Cage hits below the belt, and sai-wielding mutant assassin Mileena makes no effort to hide her gleaming five-inch fangs. You’ll also get two environments: The Living Forest and The Pit, complete with its gruesome stage fatality.

Mortal Kombat for PS3: Sub-Zero

Mortal Kombat’s stereoscopic 3D viewing mode is exclusive to the PS3, and I was lucky enough to try it on a massive 60” 3D Sony Bravia. Stereoscopic 3D lends an impressive sense of grandeur and scope — the environments seem to stretch on into infinity but don’t distract from the fighting. “We didn’t want 3D to change the basic mechanics or complicate things needlessly”, Mortal Kombat creative director and series co-creator Ed Boon told me. “Our 3D implementation makes the characters pop from the background a little more, helps you focus on them”. By rendering the fighters in 2D for its stereoscopic 3D mode, Mortal Kombat’s action remains visible even if you’re not wearing 3D glasses. This is a handy detail if you’re playing with a group on a 3D TV and find yourself short of 3D glasses – everyone will be able to play and watch whether they wear 3D glasses or not. If you’re not wearing 3D glasses, the 3D backgrounds will look a bit blurry but the characters will appear crisp and clean.

Mortal Kombat for PS3Mortal Kombat for PS3

Gameplay-wise, the Mortal Kombat demo is loaded with special attacks, combos, juggles, and ultra-powerful X-ray attacks that will leave your opponents reeling (and your stomach heaving). The action is fast and satisfying, with a 2D, side-scrolling feel that’s much closer in spirit to MKII or MK3. A standout example lies in the glorious return of the turn-around kick, which a powerful juggle combo starter where you jump over an opponent and kick after you clear his shoulder. Judging by my experiences with the demo, turn-around kicks — a staple of the classic games but downplayed in later entries — are back in full force in the new Mortal Kombat. According to Boon, this is by design. “We know turn-around kicks are an essential ingredient this time”, Boon told me. With a little practice, I was able to easily perform my signature Scorpion combo from Mortal Kombat II: Turn-around jump kick, teleport punch, spear throw followed by an uppercut or combo for a 25 to 30% damage combo. Not bad, but I’m sure some of you can do much better!

The Mortal Kombat demo supports two modes: One-on-one Versus battles (the final game supports two-on-two tag battles as well) and a short single-player Ladder mode. Protip: Completing that Ladder mode in the PSN demo unlocks a jaw-dropping video montage of the final game, complete with glimpses of new fatalities, returning characters, and impressive new stages. I won’t spill any secrets, but consider that video to be required viewing.

Oh, and one more thing: The “Toasty” guy is back. I’ve seen him! Have any questions about the features or feel of the upcoming PS3 Mortal Kombat demo? I’ll be delighted to provide further information, just ask away in the comments.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

23 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

TOMBOY25 4 March, 2011 @ 11:53 pm   1

im dissapointed i wanted to play as kratos in demo damn it

LimeyOtoko 4 March, 2011 @ 11:57 pm   2

cool, demo.

i just found out i don’t get to keep the stuff i get from PS+ though, so I won’t be renewing the subscription :< I'd much rather just buy content and keep it forever

this is a week before expiry date thankfully

Linconan 5 March, 2011 @ 12:25 am   3

Whether i get this demo (AU PSN) or that i’ll have to rip it out of the US Stores chest.
It will be mine.

*places hands on hips*
Mwhahahahahahah

And,
i’ll be playing in 3D.
So seeing me ripping someone spine out, will be ever so satisfying :)
*puts johnny cages glasses on*

BLEACH-Fan 5 March, 2011 @ 12:44 am   4

Cannot wait MK > all fighting games, but when will we see the Ghost of Sparta??

Bigbangattack427 5 March, 2011 @ 2:53 am   5

cannot wait to try this out especially in 3D

CKY_RULEZ 5 March, 2011 @ 6:08 am   6

This game looks very addictive and enjoyable. A good game to have out at a party or something.

hollandnigel 5 March, 2011 @ 6:59 am   7

Ah yeah! Remember the original being released and hope this is as good, if not better!
Just waiting for the beta to ‘get over here!’

Can you get to do actual personal fatalities for each of the four characters in the demo? you seemed to dance around that in your blog Sid…
…. go on, tell us its disabled.

@2

You record something from SKY+ to watch later, once you dont pay the bill each month you dont keep the programs you recorded.
Its a bit like that but you get a year of free content that exceeds the £40 your spending… most just cant wrap there heads around it.
No surprise there really.

killzonexx 5 March, 2011 @ 11:15 am   9

so glad MK went back to his roots

i played all MK and the old ones were the best

if anyone played first MK on sega remember this? a b a c a b b?

the real fans know what this do :D

this game i will get for sure cant wait!

moss022 5 March, 2011 @ 11:25 am   10

@5 or maybe it is just your mindlessness that makes ou think plus is so good

why pay £40 to get a few games i may or may not like to play and getting demos A WEEK before everyone else seems like the biggest waste of money ever to me

i’d rather BUY the few psn games i want to play a year will be cheaper then £40 and i know they are games i actually want to play

playstation plus in consumerism at its best

moss022 5 March, 2011 @ 11:26 am   11

my last post was ment to be @8 not @5

NRX1000 5 March, 2011 @ 2:46 pm   12

I don’t know about anyone else, but I would prefer to see more original games on the PS3 now, the trend to rehash old/stale game franchises (or pointlessly tag newer games with “3D” just to boost sales) is really starting to grate. I mean really, Mortal Combat? That game should have been buried years ago.

I’m just glad more companies like TGC are starting to emerge, hopefully they will force some of the Rehashosauruses into extinction.

Just my opinion of course :)

smokingagain 5 March, 2011 @ 5:14 pm   13

Awesome! Cant wait to play the demo and practice allready. Have the kollectors edition preorderd months ago.

Skydancerx 6 March, 2011 @ 1:42 am   14

Via Auto DL: Does this mean Germany get´s the Demo? I hope so!

MKPhoenix 6 March, 2011 @ 2:49 am   15

sounds awesome!!!

MrLopes 7 March, 2011 @ 9:33 am   16

Can’t wait to play the demo and then the full game the 21th of april. A week after my birthday.. :D

MonsterRacer 7 March, 2011 @ 9:18 pm   17

You sold a 3 months playstation plus subscription for this demo ;-)

Oke it’s also to try the service, but this demo, I don’t wanna wait a week longer to try this game ;-)

karan01 8 March, 2011 @ 8:50 pm   18

Sik plyed all mks also the also the old ones. BuT MK Decepion was the BEST!!!! XD –

It’s still not available! I want it now! NOW! :D

Hmmm it says that it will be up today and also there will be PSN maintenance from 4:00 pm today up to 3:00 am on thursday…
Does it mean that we will get it on thursday?

karan01 9 March, 2011 @ 8:20 am   21

SIK cant wait ive plyed old MKs and all of them they need to work on movement. because it looks weird when u move. XD

Tararatata0_0 15 March, 2011 @ 9:22 pm   22

My 3D TV is drooling XD

LD_GAMR-101 16 March, 2011 @ 9:36 am   23

Is this demo going to be available in australia after the ban??