Posted 5:00pm

Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception New Footage And Villain Unveiled At GDC 2011

Last week, Naughty Dog and SCEA held a packed-to-the-rafters press event at the PlayStation.Blog lounge at GDC 2011. The anticipation from the invited press was palpable as they all filtered into the PlayStation.Blog lounge – afterwards, word on the street was that we delivered.

Evan Wells, Christophe Balestra, Richard Lemarchand and yours truly were there to give the demo and speak with the press – the embargo just lifted this morning, so be sure to visit any of the numerous publications who attended for their take on the event and the reveals.

We kicked off the press event with the first ever demo outside of Naughty Dog halls of UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception in stereoscopic 3D. We chose to present a portion of the burning chateau sequence we premiered in late December. Since most people would already be familiar with the way the sequence looked and played, we thought it would make all the more evident the stellar work the Naughty Dog team has put into making the 3D presentation part of the core Naughty Dog Engine.

In my opinion, with this small snippet of gameplay we’ve proven that we’re able to perfectly retain all of the spectacular visuals and effects that you’ve come to expect from an UNCHARTED game into the 3D presentation. Playing in 3D gives you some added benefits to gameplay as well, such as improved aiming around corners and an excellent read on depth for all traversal sequences, no matter how tricky. Unfortunately, until you get the see the UNCHARTED 3 running in 3D at an event or in your home this November, you’ll have to rely on impressions from our attending media for how good it looked and played.

The real meat of the press event was the unveiling of the central antagonist that will try to foil Nathan Drake and Victor Sullivan at every opportunity – meet Katherine Marlowe.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception New Footage And Villain Unveiled At GDC 2011

Sounds like she’s definitely not one you want to get in the way of or, worse, double cross! To give you some background, Katherine Marlowe is the coldly calculating leader of a secret society whose roots date back over four hundred years to the court of Queen Elizabeth I. She has a long-standing rivalry with Nathan Drake over Sir Francis Drake’s ring – something they both contend is rightfully theirs and is also the key to an ancient mystery. As you can tell from the cut-scene above, Marlowe is a much more cerebral enemy than Drake has confronted in the past, using both psychological and physical tactics to get what she is after. Marlowe also has the assistance of her team of highly-trained agents in this secret society – they are far more elusive and dangerous than the hired guns Nathan Drake and Victor Sullivan have faced before.

awkward-reunionmarlowe-hooked-the-ring

cutter-cu-new

We’ve uploaded a set of stills from the cut-scene, a high-res render of Katherine Marlowe and concept art of the agents and thugs Nathan Drake and Victor Sullivan will face in UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception New Footage And Villain Unveiled At GDC 2011 Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception New Footage And Villain Unveiled At GDC 2011 Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception New Footage And Villain Unveiled At GDC 2011

We hope you’ve all enjoyed meeting Katherine Marlowe in our GDC 2011 reveal. Stay tuned as we still have a ton of information we want to reveal – with little to no spoilers! – over the next eight months.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

51 Comments 1 Author replies
Show oldest first

GhostViper 8 March, 2011 @ 5:04 pm   1

This is great :D But you’r making the wait longer :( :P

DutchGameGod21 8 March, 2011 @ 5:06 pm   2

clip is private?

Billybobbean 8 March, 2011 @ 5:06 pm   3

Looks great! The video says its private thought and I cant watch it :(

Guillemots 8 March, 2011 @ 5:10 pm   4

See the video on US blog!
Yes, most anticipated game of 2011 is Uncharted 3! :D

fhoosedg 8 March, 2011 @ 5:20 pm   5

The Guy that gives Nathan Drake a beating sure does look like Jason Statham.

almighty-slayer 8 March, 2011 @ 5:21 pm   6

That was rather brilliant.

DutchGameGod21 8 March, 2011 @ 5:22 pm   7

James thanks great clip

MaxRstar 8 March, 2011 @ 5:27 pm   8

blooooody amazing! :)

Rytteren 8 March, 2011 @ 5:30 pm   9

AAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!

hell.. where hoping the 20+ Exclusive games for my ps3 could demper my lust for uncharted 3.. until the release. now i need it!! damn the year is long.

killzonexx 8 March, 2011 @ 5:30 pm   10

day one buy uncharted games are one of the best on ps3 ( my opinium)

try get us the playable demo for plus james:P

killzonexx 8 March, 2011 @ 5:40 pm   11

btw jason statham anyone?:P

eZenuzet 8 March, 2011 @ 5:45 pm   12

hell yeah! jason statham! :)

Carnivius_Prime 8 March, 2011 @ 5:47 pm   13

I’m fairly confident in Naughty Dog that Uncharted 3 will displace Uncharted 2 as the best game ever. Can’t wait. I don’t even see myself as much as a gamer anymore (I spend far more hours doing physical sports and exercise these days than gaming) but I can’t ever give up Uncharted. It’s just too good and that new clip has me even more frustrated I gotta wait til November for some new single player story (as much as I love the multiplayer on uncharted 2 I’m aching for some more single player levels).

Dante_Zero 8 March, 2011 @ 5:47 pm   14

two words HOLY CRAP!!!!

after watching that i feel as amazed as that little kid in the incredibles. you know the one chewing gum on on the tricycle.

Saber_IV 8 March, 2011 @ 5:52 pm   15

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Naughty Dog for making Britain look cool. :)

TrulyALie 8 March, 2011 @ 5:55 pm   16

Nathan Drake vs the cast of a Guy Ritchie movie? I’m trying to say I don’t like it, I’m trying to say something like “typical, the English are evil again.” but… it just looks awesome. I’m in, as if there was any doubt.
Oh and Drake in a tux? I approve.

Awesome stuff. Any chance you’ll give us some multiplayer info in the not so distant future?

WhatIsTheMatrix 8 March, 2011 @ 6:00 pm   18

Is that Helen Mirren playing Katherine Marlowe as it sure looks like it?

Cassive-B 8 March, 2011 @ 6:05 pm   19

PS3′s going in this year.

WolfiePL 8 March, 2011 @ 6:10 pm   20

Drake in suit <3

DNAtlantic 8 March, 2011 @ 6:19 pm   21

That guy really did look like Jason Statham lol I’m so looking forward to this game!

CelsiusPT 8 March, 2011 @ 6:19 pm   22

Nice.

Loving the fact that the antagonist is a Woman,because Women are evil xD

By the way,was this revealed today because it’s the International Woman´s Day? xD

dutchguy1982 8 March, 2011 @ 6:22 pm   23

Lovin’ it already! Thnx for the clip.

mjfan97 8 March, 2011 @ 6:34 pm   24

look’s very awesome so far! No Doubt the Treasure’s will be making a comeback and the online will be impressive too and look at those amazing visual’s! i never played the 2nd Game but now i plan too

Ctirad89 8 March, 2011 @ 6:36 pm   25

The screens and video looks an amazing!!!

djreplay 8 March, 2011 @ 6:56 pm   26

Any chance of a 3D trailer on the PSN store, I don’t think I can wait till november?

CaptainCortez 8 March, 2011 @ 7:03 pm   27

Well that’s a bit selfish. She’s not allowed to have what’s hers. Drake acquired it, so claimed ownership of the ring. Therefore, she’s stealing. :p

Looks awesome anyway! Really looking forward to it.

I really appreciate how Naughty Dog show us so much, but at release, theres still alot to be ‘charted’.
*slaps self*
Good work NaughtyDog and thanks PS Blog for the detials,
If Katherine Marlowe is anything like Margeret Thatcher, i’ll enjoy putting a bullet in her head, or letting Nate talk down to her.

Brenin1982 8 March, 2011 @ 7:11 pm   29

Can’t wait!!!

This is awesome times 10.
PLEASE give us a collectors edition of this game and I´ll buy it in a hartbeat.

RemyX-1988 8 March, 2011 @ 7:29 pm   31

This one dude looks like Jason Statham…

extermin8or_ 8 March, 2011 @ 7:36 pm   32

That henchman, the one clearly in charge sure looks alot like Jason Statham and sounds like him… is it him?

PSN-OmniusALX 8 March, 2011 @ 8:25 pm   33

@ WhatIsTheMatrix

Is that Helen Mirren playing Katherine Marlowe as it sure looks like it?

…..its more like Glyns Barber (Glenda Mitchell from Eastenders!) lol (MILF) lol

and like most have said…. oh no, not Statham! How will this game support 3D when one of the characters resembles a 1 dimensional cockney brit actor???? I hope the voice acting isn’t an english actor or we’ll know for sure thats what ND was aiming for with this character! lol

:-)

MAX-309 8 March, 2011 @ 8:41 pm   34

Naughty Dog, you’re awesome!!!!!
I want it… now… I can’t sleep until November…

shotgun_69 8 March, 2011 @ 8:55 pm   35

A Hellcat looking villain who, I’m guessing, is going to attack Nathan on more of an intellectual side than brute strength… with Naughty Dog’s track record this is a recipe for some really engaging narrative.

vonhammer 8 March, 2011 @ 9:39 pm   36

In future,can you hide images and stuff next time you guy’s post stuff like this.
As far as I’m concerned I’ve just seen way more than I ever wanted of the game before launch.

CassyChan 8 March, 2011 @ 9:42 pm   37

Good to see you guys are representing us Brits as the bad guys and nasty pieces of work with stereotype London accents again, bravo!

Linconan 8 March, 2011 @ 10:18 pm   38

I’m ready for Nov.
My 3D Tv is Ready for Nov.
Bring on Uncharted!

I need the months to fly past quicker than a Sackboy on heat.
Make this happen Sony :)

Judi Dench and Jason Statham! well, a very evil looking Judi Dench that is..

carlosdfn 9 March, 2011 @ 12:00 am   40

You can already tell that she’ll be a far more interesting antagonist than the previuos villains in the franchise.
Hype for this game is unbearable.

MohammedMK 9 March, 2011 @ 8:01 am   41

This looks VERY good. I don’t think there’s a game that matches Uncharted 3′s overall quality.

Really, I wish this game the best of luck in the world.

Voice doesn’t seem to fit the character model.
Sounds like a 30 year old woman voicing character that looks 50/60.

GeoMarine 9 March, 2011 @ 10:32 am   43

I thought that “MASH” video at the bottom was gameplay for a second….PHEW!!!

CrazySasquatch- 9 March, 2011 @ 11:17 am   44

Jason statham or what. And this game is gunna be pure epic, cant wait. :D

maddymad 9 March, 2011 @ 1:10 pm   45

I don’t know how Naughty dog did it, but they did it, the graphics look insane and the story promises to be excellent.

procion 9 March, 2011 @ 1:13 pm   46

Katherine Marlowe looks like one tough Doyenne. I’m trying to place her voice, sounds familiar. Of course playwright Christopher Marlowe opened the way for the great Elizabethan plays, with his own play Tamburlaine produced in 1587 which were produced in the last 15 years of the Tudor Age. If Her ancestry goes back to as far as Drake’s, then he has a worthy nemesis to face indeed. Marlowe was always a suspect character in the eyes of the authorities, tho he was protected. I’m sure he could have been burned as a heretic for his Arian connexions if he had not had the protection of Walsingham for acting(sic) as an agent in the secret service, very cloak & dagger.Marlowe was killed in a brawl in 1593, when he was on the brink of arrest for atheism amongst other charges. Of course Shakespeare’s first play was performed the year before. As a collector of books of reprints of old maps, Drake’s Deception is right up my alley. Can’t wait. Btw the bloke in the middle pic of the three looks like Johnny Klebitz from GTA:EfLC.

Jaaay2k 10 March, 2011 @ 3:54 am   47

Haha,” Wooah, careful now. Wouldn’t want you to melt” xD

Take that you old hagg!

Stonesthrow 10 March, 2011 @ 4:22 am   48

Unbelievable.. the progress Naughty dog made from U1 to U2 in such a short time was jawdropping, seems like it’ll be no less this time around.. Facial animations look great.. Love this trailer, must’ve already watched it like 10 times.. Love the urban setting in this particular trailer

And I love how Drake can’t handle it and steps in when they are giving it to Sully :d Also, I have never seen an umbrella open that realistically in a game :d

duuuuuumb 24 March, 2011 @ 8:03 pm   49

Stunning, as always.
Naughty Dog, you kick so much ass.

SingStarPiggy 26 March, 2011 @ 3:27 pm   50

I actually cannot wait for this game to come out. The only criticism I have is the fact that, in a lot shots of Nate’s face, he looks very much like the Scottish actor Gerard Butler. Naughty Dog have completely changed his face! So it doesn’t feel like the Nathan Drake we’ve got to know in the past two games.

Load all