Posted 14 March

New Operation Flashpoint: Red River Trailer

Listen up marines: we’ve got a brand new trailer for you.

You’ve met Sgt. Damien Knox and you’ve met Cpl. Ryan Balletto. Today we introduce you to Sergeant William Kirby who’s both squad leader and Rifleman in Fireteam Outlaw 2 Bravo. He’s seen it all and some more. The insurgents, they’ve got blood thirst, and the PLA ain’t too friendly either. It’ll be his leadership that will keep you alive.

As a little extra bonus for all you Playstation Blog readers we raided the Red River studio and came away with this exclusive screenshot, just for you. This shows Outlaw 2 Bravo and another sunny old day in Tajikistan.

New Operation Flashpoint: Red River Trailer

Can’t get enough? We’ve got tonnes of great videos, screenshots and more over at flashpointgame.com. You can also like us on facebook and follow us on twitter for the latest Red River developments.

Dismissed!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

24 Comments 10 Author replies
Show oldest first

If this game is anything like the 1st one it will flop big time

Benjamin Bateman 14 March, 2011 @ 2:08 pm

Good job we’ve worked night and day to make this a lot better then. :)

Dremorax 14 March, 2011 @ 2:07 pm   2

Trailaer and pictures look pretty good, but is this still set in open world like previous games?

Benjamin Bateman 14 March, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

The whole game takes place in Tajikistan. We don’t have small maps, or corridor style gameplay. While it’s not completely open world, you have a wide landscape to traverse and tackle the mission in your own way.

Cassive-B 14 March, 2011 @ 2:19 pm   3

This game looks identical to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

Benjamin Bateman 14 March, 2011 @ 2:28 pm

How so?

Modern Warfare is a great game. COD has set the benchmark for many developers out there. They’ve done some great stuff and we admire that, but our gameplay is quite different. Red River is a tactical shooter that requires you to think your objective through. Run and gun style of play will get you killed.

I will take that with a pinch of salt

Diablo_Rosso 14 March, 2011 @ 2:34 pm   5

Looks more Battlefield than CoD really.

killzonexx 14 March, 2011 @ 2:41 pm   6

i bought dragon rising on pc long time ago, played it a little, till i found out that wherever you hide high grass, buildings, they always kill you, even if you lay down without the possibility that they ever could trace you, and they kill you within seconds.

so dumped the game

this game must have all these bugs and other unrealistic things fixed, otherwise i see the same future as dragon rising and thats not a good one

btw benjamin cod set the benchmark? yeah cod 1, united offence, and mabey waw, our modernwarfare 1, the rest is outdated, old engine that been used to get more money from the people who think that every cod is a good game, and its not.

need to see more first about this game, before i ever think about buying another operation flashpoint game.

Benjamin Bateman 14 March, 2011 @ 2:52 pm

We’ve been working hard to improve upon Dragon Rising. What we learn from each game can be used to improve all our games. This time we borrowed a lot of the Ego engine tech from DiRT 2 and F1 2010, building on the foundations of Dragon Rising.

As for COD, absolutely it’s a great success, but that’s why we’re making Red River its own space in the FPS genre. It’s a very different game.

But no need to take my word for it, there’s a lot of great previews out there (we recently did a news round-up on flashpointgame.com). Added to that, you can always rent Red River before you buy :)

Operation Flashpoint:Dragon Rising was a [Removed] port on ps3 :(

Why would this be any different….

Show us some ps3 gameplay footage ;)

And for ps3 gamers make custom soundtrack an option(it’s up to developers to allow it) !!!!

Operation Flashpoint:Dragon Rising was a s***** port on ps3 :(

Why would this be any different….

Show us some ps3 gameplay footage ;)

Benjamin Bateman 14 March, 2011 @ 2:57 pm

Why would this be any different?

A fair question with a simple answer; because we wanted to do even better! :) Every game is a new opportunity to do better than last time, to make a greater game. It’s not easy but the whole of the studio are working 110% to make it happen.

As for PS3 footage. There’s PS3 screenshots on our blog (flashpointgame.com) Also all the footage in the Red River previews (news round-up on flashpointgame.com) was recorded on consoles. The quality between 360 and PS3 is the same.

killzonexx 14 March, 2011 @ 2:56 pm   9

@ Benjamin Bateman we cant rent agames here in holland altho not in my part of town

second with these high game prizes i only buy a game if i played a demo

try before you buy

and you have to agree with me it dont matter how beautiful a game looks, its all about the gameplay and replay value.

think most important question for pc gamers dedicated server files? modtools? and then i dont mean 1 gsp but also hosted on a home pc?

Benjamin Bateman 14 March, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

I’ll be honest, I don’t know about renting services in Holland. In the UK and US there are services like Lovefilm, Netflix, Gamefly etc that allow you to get games direct to your door. Alternatively ask around your friends and see if someone has a copy. Sorry I can’t help further.

Gameplay is extremely important, and that’s one of the main focuses we had this time around. Muliple difficulties, equipment loadouts, and 4 different classes give the campaign lots of replay value. The true replay value though comes through the co-op. Playing Red River with friends is great fun and we’ve got 4 different FTE modes to support it. There’s no PvP so no need for dedicated servers.

As for PC questions I suggest heading the Codemasters forums.

sintax-error 14 March, 2011 @ 3:36 pm   10

I’m really looking forward to this. I loved the first game, even if it was bonkers hard. The only issue I have that it’s so aimed at the North American market, it’s full of, how shall I put it? [Removed] tbh I’m sick of it! Every FPS seems to be like this. Well almost.
I wish you guys the best with the game. I will be picking it up for sure and testing that co-op once again : ) but for the love of god, please pick someone else next time? Why not play the Chinese? Who says they are the bad guys? Their not going into country’s they have no right to be telling others how to live and feeding there so called democracy down peoples necks!

is it gonna be soldier simulation like the first OF or an action game like MoH or CoD?

Benjamin Bateman 14 March, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

It’s not a sim and not an action game like MoH or COD. It’ sits somewhere in between. It’s more authentic like the Operation Flashpoint games are known for. One shot can still kill you if you’re not careful.

Wow, when you mess up a game in the past, and there are loads of company´s that are doinging almost the same but do it awesome, you´ll have a lot of convincing to do to have gamers put down another 65 euro for your game.
That gamers are not beleaving you on your word that the xbox version and PS3 version are the same must not be a surprice. We´ve heard it before and are disapointed even more often.
I think you should prove that you are right before I´m considering your product.
Good luck ;-)

KC-alpha-14 14 March, 2011 @ 4:07 pm   13

Absolutely love tactical shooters, why I play MAG. The first had something missing for me. I’m hoping that this will have a more in-depth story, better community options and improved AI. If you’ve got all that nailed then I’ll give it a shot.

Will there be a beta or demo of some sort?

obiadekanobi1980 14 March, 2011 @ 4:10 pm   14

why was my comment removed it was a good point and spoke the truth guess you guys dont like the truth the first 1 was utter trash sp was weak and multiplayer is even worse what a waste of plastic puttin it to disk.

after seing this 1 it looks/feels the same, bad voice acting, terrible graphics(couple of times in the videos there feet dint meet the floor the grass looks lame and even the buildings look lame.

look guys im not a COD lover but i do like battlefield and after watching the new trailer this game looks about ten yrs behind and that cant be good.

the last 1 was a port and a bad port and that the ps3 has so much power to be used i dont understand why u all make games for xbox first…but i think its to do with money more than anything.

thats my 50pence worth anyway hop u sell lots of copies to lovefilm though as this 1s lookin like a renter… which is sad because the games premise is a good 1 just not the way its made also bet thats 360 video as in ur comment u said consloes(always meaning the 360 code is finished waiting to be ported)

Hello Benjamin, I really liked Dragon Rising, too bad not many people engaged on the multiplayer side of it and it died very fast. I think the reason is that even that the game had many open spaces to traverse and try many different tactics, the missions became repetitive. I do not know how this new game will try to solve that, but I really wish a game with a dynamic campaign where missions objectives locations change every time you play. Much like Falcon 4.0 campaign but translated to an FPS

I still play Dragon Rising on the hardest difficulty and I like how the game removes from the HUD any unrealistic information, but come on, at least give us a fast to open compass and/or map, like Far Cry 2 for example

And please do not let multiplayer die, if the people are not playing it much is for a reason, do not try to sell expensive DLC if nobody is playing, patch them for free whenever possible, it is better to have a healthy multiplayer that could encourage other to by the game, than try to sale DLC to the small number of players still playing, just my opinion

Benjamin Bateman 14 March, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

Where the enemies appear depends on the mission. There are instances of where spawn locations are scripted, but there are also missions that the spawn locations are random, allowing you to play the chapter many times with it being different each time. A combination of the two have been used to make the most immersive experience possible.

In regards to the HUD, you can turn the individual HUD features on and off to suit your preference.

And as for multiplayer we focused entirely on PvP. That’s where the fun’s at and there’s plenty to keep you busy with your friends. As for DLC, unfortunately I don’t have any new information to announce on that front, but thanks for showing interest.

Blackglasswar 14 March, 2011 @ 4:48 pm   16

Loved the gritty realism of having to patch up a wounded leg in OpF: DR. Was a lot more satisfying getting to the end of missions than several other AAA FPS of late. Bring on Red River! Attack with the mind and let the tactics do the talking!

Quick Q… has the ability to give orders been improved at all in OpF: RR?

Benjamin Bateman 14 March, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

The command radial is still there, but it’s been re-jigged to make it more sensible and accessible. Your most common commands are just two directions away (e.g. up, up, on the dpad). You can use it while moving and traverse back through the menus if you make a mistake.

Overall it’s a lot easier to use.

tpsioulas 14 March, 2011 @ 5:01 pm   17

This one looks pretty good! Sure Dragon Rising was quite impressive but this one seems even better. Looking forward to it!

btw was the ally AI improved at all? Because in Dragon Rising there were times I got screwd because of it(since my aim sucks, I couldn’t just do everything by myself)

Basarili 14 March, 2011 @ 6:33 pm   18

Everyone complaining in here or comparing this game to other games do know nothing about the game. This game is fully at it’s best when you play it with 3 other friends one mission each night.

deltaman-3 14 March, 2011 @ 7:41 pm   19

can u command the indivdual soldier better this time.dragon rising was a bit tricky on the indivdual commands.

Benjamin Bateman 15 March, 2011 @ 8:43 am

Yup, Just hit a direction on the dpad before you use the command radial and your command will only go to the indicated fireteam member.

StevenHibs 14 March, 2011 @ 11:19 pm   20

Will give this one a miss! Too many bigger games coming out that deserve my money other than rehashed games that wont do any good, it aint a tactical shooter! I also hated the fact that everyone would say its one hit kills, e.g. so realistic etc, yet the enemies would take around 20 bullets before dying, like [DELETED]? would love to be proven wrong, but I gotta feeling I’m right ;) hello battlefield 3 :)

StevenHibs 14 March, 2011 @ 11:20 pm   21

Will give this one a miss! Too many bigger games coming out that deserve my money other than rehashed games that wont do any good, it aint a tactical shooter! I also hated the fact that everyone would say its one hit kills, e.g. so realistic etc, yet the enemies would take around 20 bullets before dying, like seriously ? would love to be proven wrong, but I gotta feeling I’m right ;) hello battlefield 3 :)

Linconan 15 March, 2011 @ 5:37 am   22

Operation Flashpoint: DR had so much potential but delivered far few magic moments.
I still have it but its nothing to write home about.
I have my beef but i can bite my tongue.

BUT,
all will be forgiven if you include 3D,lol
Seriously,lol, you got any plans for 3D come release or Dlc for Operation Flashpoint:RR
???????

..*sigh

StevenHibs 16 March, 2011 @ 1:11 pm   23

Benjamin Bateman – No we have no plans for 3D as that would be too much effort :)

will the multiplayer be the same as the first? Or will you just be able to be put into any game (like in Battlefield and CoD) and not have to choose a host?