Posted 3:00pm

Digital Comics Store Update (23rd March 2011)

Blog Post 2011-03-22

Well hello there – here is your weekly comics update!

Neil Gaiman‘s renowned comic Sandman continues with issue #27. In this penultimate issue of the “Season of Mists” storyline, the decision concerning Hell’s new ownership falls to an unlikely heir while Morpheus attends to an unruly guest in his realm…

Before he claimed the throne, before he battled the dragon Fafnir, before he became worthy of mighty Mjolnir, our hero was simply one of many young sons of Asgard… Meet young Thor in Thor: Son of Asgard (2004), an epic coming of age story written by celebrated manga writer Akira Yoshida and beautifully illustrated by newcomer Greg Tocchini.

In the must-try, one of a kind series Kill Shakespeare, the celebrated author’s world is transported to comics with unexpected twists and surprises. As word of the Prodigals’ victory spreads a rebel army masses in Shrewsbury. Against this backdrop, Othello and Iago cross swords, Richard and Lady Macbeth lock horns and Hamlet and Juliet’s love blossoms…

Also available are new issues of inFAMOUS, Batman: Black & White, IDW’s Infestation and more:

• Baby Boomers #4 Markosia
  • Top 10 #5 DC Comics
  • Undertown #12 TOKYOPOP
  • Van Von Hunter #10 TOKYOPOP
  • Wonder Woman Vol. 3 #26 DC Comics
  • X-Factor (2005) #2 Marvel
  • Y: The Last Man #33 DC Comics

Please visit www.playstationcomics.com for prices and to see the whole catalogue.

See ya next week!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

26 Comments 15 Author replies
Show oldest first
Shou_Kobayashi 23 March, 2011 @ 3:15 pm   1

Yeah COMICS on PS3 soon…

http://ow.ly/4kLQU … but than again, I shouldn’t be happy. Because I can’t have nice things… .___.;

mitch_uk_psn 23 March, 2011 @ 3:23 pm   2

I have a bit of an odd one – Sluaghterman’s Creed issue 1 has disappeared from my download list and it asks me to buy it again if I want to redownload. I originally bought the one missing audio commentary.

Pauline Martyn 23 March, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

Hi Mitch – that would be because the old version was bugged, so the new one (with a working commentary) replaced it completely in the store. You should have been issued a refund for the old one to enable you to buy this new one at no extra cost. Let me know if that’s not the case.

GahLakTus 23 March, 2011 @ 3:29 pm   3

wers he ghostbusters infestation comics? any chance of trying to get any of the arkham city comic series wen its out and the one shot marvel “what if ” comis?

Pauline Martyn 23 March, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

Ha, you’re in luck: both Infestation: Ghostbusters and What If are coming soon! No news on Arkham City yet though, sorry.

I have a feature request, will we get the ability to edit the names of comics we’ve downloaded? I ask because Y: The Last Man has typos in some titles and it’s bugging me :p

Pauline Martyn 23 March, 2011 @ 3:51 pm

I don’t think so (not in the near future anyway) – what typos do you see? :-(

Silent_Gig 23 March, 2011 @ 3:55 pm   5

Another great update. I just have a small question to nask, it was annouced today that the comics store is coming to the PS3 but your only able to read them on PSP as usual.. is that coming to the UK?

Pauline Martyn 23 March, 2011 @ 4:04 pm

Thank you! :-) The announcement is only for Japan sorry – no news for us.

There are two “Safeword #2″s and the subtitle “Ring of Truth #4″ all of a sudden starts at #30. I know, really minor things.

Pauline Martyn 23 March, 2011 @ 4:05 pm

Hm not so minor. Let me investigate that, and thanks for reporting!

Pauline Martyn 23 March, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

This is odd – there might have been a glitch with Safeword but all Ring of Truth (27# onwards) should be ok, everything is correct over here. Can you try deleting (through MediaGo for instance) and re-downloading? I’m pretty confident this will fix the issues. We’ll have a look at why this happened. Hope it helps and sorry about that!

Shadowdragoon 23 March, 2011 @ 4:06 pm   7

I have heard from a few of the publishers, seems they are working on getting the PSN comics store to the rest of us.
So, are the higer up morons reconsidering the only UK comics store yet?

The good old questions:
Release in Scandinavia/rest of EU?
Comics reader for PS3 (ofcourse this should only come AFTER rest of EU gets acces to the store).
And Crossregion gifting?

Pauline Martyn 23 March, 2011 @ 4:21 pm

Hi Shadowdragoon – we do not have the ability to open more PSP stores, so until the situation changes there is nothing anyone can do.
    Also we are not UK-only: our store is also in the US, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.
    Thanks for your understanding.

StefNighthawk 23 March, 2011 @ 4:06 pm   8

@1, great, if this comes to Europe too, we will have yet another useless icon on a PlayStation device’s XMB.

i will only pick Infestation: Star Trek #2

rather disappointed with Slaughterman’s Creed

Shadowdragoon 23 March, 2011 @ 4:41 pm   10

Is it not true that the higerups are the one blocking the deployment of new stores? If so, my coment is quite mild, and Id get in real trubble for telling what they really are.

Second point, this is the EU blog, so of the mentioned countries, only one there is Ireland that applies directly. So, yes I forgot one.

ofcoure, I do hope that the publishers will listen to what I wrote.

Shadowdragoon 23 March, 2011 @ 5:08 pm   11

Sorry to say, but the point from the anouncement:
Although the current stores have been very popular and we have every confidence that they will continue to be so, it has been decided that our focus should be on maintaining and improving the current stores.

Makes it sound like a higerup desided it, if thats not true, it goes that a higerup should easily overturn it.

Wraith_Bringer 23 March, 2011 @ 5:23 pm   12

Two questions for you!

What are the chances of getting Transmetropolitan on here? I mentioned it before but I’m not sure how the comic process works, I would like to know!

Also if you’d be so kind, why have I just had to repurchase the entire set of Cancertown when I’ve already bought it before?

Pauline Martyn 23 March, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

Sure! So for the comics, if you place your requests here or on the forum we can look into it for you. If it’s from a publisher we don’t have it’s a little difficult, but in this case it’s DC so I can ask. It will depend on their digital strategy and the number of requests for it, but it’s good to mention good stuff in any case.
    For Cancertown, did you buy the Insomnia version (the very first we had)? Cancertown is now published my Markosia, and because they are two different publishers we’re unable to refund/move the monies unfortunately… It rarely happens so there’s no solution in place, which is really not great for you and anyone else in your situation… :-( Sorry about that.

Carnivius_Prime 23 March, 2011 @ 5:51 pm   13

first issue of Infamous was very good. I recently picked up the game again to see if I can platinum it this time and I had forgotten how much I bloody love the game. One of the PS3′s finest exclusives.

So Japan has the comics coming to PS3. I’m hoping that means sometime the EU and US stores will too :D

Shou_Kobayashi 23 March, 2011 @ 5:51 pm   14

So – when the PS3 Comic viewer hits, do I get another application on a sony device that I can’t use?

@Shadowdragoon The fact is your country (as mine) is not getting the store and they don´t want you to complain about it. Yes they said in the past they would but it was to much work. And yes, ytough an iapp you can almost get any comic you want and you don´t get excluded when you are from Noway, Denmark, Begiu, France, The Netherlands or whatever but that is just the business model Sony chose to take. I know it´s very disapointing but give them another 4 years and maybe the figured it out.
Now go to your local comic shop or go online to amazone and order the paper ones, you´ll love the smell of a freshly printed commic in the morning ;-)

PSN-OmniusALX 23 March, 2011 @ 8:05 pm   16

I’ve been a fan of the PSP digi comics since launch, and have enjoyed what’s on offer, as a ‘traditional’ comic collector.

I’ve found it a nice alternative to collecting comics I’ve either missed or more to the point comic series I’d consider ‘secondary’ (not in quality or anything) just the fact they span YEARS of single issues and I just fancy the odd 6 or 12 issue story.

As for printed, I collect full graphic novel series’(mostly Darkhorse – Star Wars, Conan and the Alien/Predator comics) So all in all both my printed material and digital material compliment each other nicely.

This brings me to a series I bought on here way back when the service launched and I believe there was a follow up series, the question is, will that series ever make it to the store???? The series was Marvels’ ANNIHILATION, absolutely loved it!!!

Regards

Pauline Martyn 24 March, 2011 @ 10:20 am

Thank you for the kind words! :-)
    We do have Annihilation – the 2006 series that is, #1-6. If you go in the A-Z you should find it. Happy reading! :D

divine1000 23 March, 2011 @ 8:05 pm   17

I’m quite concerned regarding the aforementioned issues with the Cancertown comics. I actually bought the original series before it changed publishers, does this mean the products have been removed from my download history and are no longer available should I wish to re-download them?
If this is the case, I feel it’s quite unacceptable. Surely if I have already purchased a product it should be available for me whenever I choose, regardless of issues with the current publisher.
At the very least I would expect some form of refund, alternative product or discount off the new series.
I realise this issue may seem somewhat petty regarding such a small amount of money, but what is to say this situation won’t arise again. Potentially it could also affect higher priced products, games for example?
For sure I’ll be paying stricter attention to the T&C’s before purchasing any digital products from the PlayStation store in the future.

tm2010swe 23 March, 2011 @ 8:32 pm   18

@15: Yes, in four years time they may have figured it out. But we will have figured it out too, by then. And then, when we have begun collecting digital comics elsewhere, why would we start using Sony’s platform? Then we would have two collections, separate from each other, and we won’t be able to read the collections on the different platforms.

If Sony won’t give us good news regarding digital comics on the NGP, I won’t buy the NGP. I’m tired of having to pay more and get less. Sony said: “We apologise to those within the PlayStation community hoping to get a Digital Comic Store in their region, and look forward to sharing new and exciting services with them throughout the year.” Well… I’ll believe it when I see it. We’ve been left out too many times… :(

Playstation – It only does everything (in some regions)… :(

mitch_uk_psn 23 March, 2011 @ 9:08 pm   19

Spotted the wallet refund for Slaughterman’s Creed, all well here now :)

I was interested in PSP digital comics at first before they were released but then Sony went and region locked them so if I wanted to watch comics on my Japanese PSP, I’d have to read them in Japanese. Their loss really, I would’ve bought pretty much any marvel comic I could see.. Shame they didnt add this for the PS3.

I wonder though if the NGP will get the comic thing. I think if they do I’d probably just go nuts and buy everything :P Also, Deadpool comics would be pretty cool to have *hint, hint*

Pauline Martyn 24 March, 2011 @ 10:23 am

It’s a shame you can’t, I hope we can find a way to get the comics to you in the future!
    We have three Deadpool series currently, 1993, 1994 and 2008. I love this character! :D

Oh wait.. what? Deadpool comics exist for Digital Comics? No way! *shakes fist* damn you sony!

Hmm.. any chance of Star Wars comics at some point? What are these comics btw, anything like the Metal Gear Solid 1 Digital comic with voice acting? Or is it like the classic comics in digital form? Either way is nice.. but did you see that clip from Spider-Woman’s story? I love her voice :P

Pauline Martyn 24 March, 2011 @ 10:25 am

… and a few Star Wars: 12 series from IDW (New Frontier, Nero, Alien Spotlight, movie adaptation…), one manga, and a vintage one from Devil’s Due Digital. So sorry you don’t have access to them… :-(
    They are just plain digital comics – I’ll check out the Spider-Woman one!

StefNighthawk 24 March, 2011 @ 8:01 am   22

Quote : Please do not post derogatory comments here, your comment on our higher management is unfounded and untrue.

So you expect us to act nice while being slapped in the face with news about all those services (Video, Comics, …) to which a large portion of SCEE customer’s have no access.
SCEE is almost always limping behind SCEA and SCEI. And when they do eventually catch up it’s limited to a small region.
Do you really expect us to believe those are not higher management problems?

I should check these

divine1000 24 March, 2011 @ 9:41 am   24

Please ignore my rather hasty previous comments, I’ve just checked my PSN purchase history and the Cancertown series is still indeed available.
I do apologise, I thought I was being blagged.

I’ll get my coat…

@Pauline Martyn: Thats not Star Wars! Thats Star Trek! :P I’m surprised Sony havent released the digital comics for the PS3 though. I’ll definantly want them for the NGP.

You’ll probably find the Spider-Woman clip on youtube from Marvels official page. It’s set sometime after the Skrull dudes. It’s more like a cartoon with the Metal Gear Solid style PSP cutscenes with voice acting. Pretty fun :)

martyndevlin21 28 March, 2011 @ 1:54 pm   26

Any chance of seeing Jurassic Park: Redemption #5? Been waiting awhile for it now.