Posted 3:04pm

White Knight Chronicles II Includes The Original WKC On The Same Blu-Ray Disc

Today I can reveal our packs for the upcoming White Knight Chronicles II for PS3 and White Knight Chronicles: Origins for PSP.

WKC II, 3D, no PEGIWKC Origins, 3D, no PEGI

I can also confirm that White Knight Chronicles II will include the original White Knight Chronicles on the same Blu-ray disc.

The original game has been fully remastered and was re-developed alongside its sequel, so it features many of the improvements from White Knight Chronicles II as a result. When you boot up White Knight Chronicles II, you’ll also be able to choose whether to start from the very beginning of the whole story or jump straight into the second installment.

I’ll be back with more WKC news soon.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

81 Comments 26 Author replies
Show oldest first

Suzzopher 11 April, 2011 @ 3:07 pm   1

Day one for both games.

RagingAvatar 11 April, 2011 @ 3:13 pm   2

I’ve started WKC1 – if I continue the content from WKC1 in WKC2 will I earn trophies for the original game still?

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

Yes, all save games from the original WKC will be compatible with the new remastered version of the original WKC on the disk for WKC II.

Saber_IV 11 April, 2011 @ 3:13 pm   3

That’s a pretty sweet idea! Both games on one disc. I wonder if much more effort goes into production that way or is it really simply a case of making sure the files for both games are there at the start of production (I’m totally oblivious to game production in the factory)?

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

It’s something that the dev team LEVEL-5 Inc. wanted to do for their fans, and was in the plan right from the start.

Roxas598 11 April, 2011 @ 3:16 pm   4

is there a release date?

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

We’ll be announcing a release date very soon. Suffice to say it’ll be only a few months away, if that….

JonnyPauz 11 April, 2011 @ 3:17 pm   5

This should be done for more games but, i guess its up to the developer

i loved the first game, can’t wait for this one.

can’t wait till my player character gets her own knight.

i just wonder if we’ll be able to use our saved characters from the first game in this pack, hope so, i’ve put a lot of hours in on her.

firm3demon 11 April, 2011 @ 3:26 pm   7

This is great news, but there’s two things I’d like to know:

1. Are saves from the original version of the first game compatible with the new version (put over 150 hours into WKC)?

2. Will the PSP title be available digitally (my PSP is a PSPgo)?

obiadekanobi1980 11 April, 2011 @ 3:27 pm   8

awsome buy1 get 1freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

obiadekanobi1980 11 April, 2011 @ 3:28 pm   9

awsome buy1 get 1freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does it have Jap Dubs for god sake answer this question for once and why not jap dubs? it’s been asked before the first game was released ever

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

Unfortunately not. Due to the huge amount of text within the game, and the number of languages that text needs to be translated into for the game, there’s just not enough disk space room to add Japanese to the Blu-Ray.

AaronSOLDIER 11 April, 2011 @ 3:35 pm   11

Will WKC1 have trophies and the Home rewards? If not I’ll get WKC1 separately.

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

Yes, it’ll have everything from the original iteration of the first WKC.

awesome this should make me buy it now.

D1rk-Knight 11 April, 2011 @ 3:37 pm   13

Looking forward to it.

Might sound like a stupid remark but why is WKC 1 on the same Blu-Ray as the second, i dont get it. Obviously i’ll have to trade in WKC1 and get the cash/points for the second.. I just find it weird why’d the do this (dunno why i do though). Still, for those who haven’t played the 1st one its a good move and they say “The original game has been fully remastered and was re-developed alongside its sequel, so it features many of the improvements from White Knight Chronicles II as a result”. Job done.

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

As I mentioned above, the first WKC is on there purely as a bonus to the fans, and with a series of improvements that the dev team added to the game whilst developing WKC II.

wolffrezer 11 April, 2011 @ 3:40 pm   15

1 thing i’d like to know will certain items ect from WKC be crossed over into WKC 2 like materials used in making your own town an will you get to use the same town with new things added in WKC2 and do we get to walk around as the knight with bigger aspects in changing armour ect ok guess is more than 1 thing lol

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

Everything from the original WKC will be compatible with the new remastered version of WKC on the WKC II disk.

On Georama for WKC II, I’m afraid you’ll have to wait and see what updates the team has made.

wolffrezer 11 April, 2011 @ 3:41 pm   16

Will they be more WKC home content like a home WKC game

Round_Dice 11 April, 2011 @ 3:49 pm   17

Ha! I saw a copy of WKC yesterday and wanted to go and buy it today, guess I’ll wait.

More enjoyment for less money, fantastic.

Not enough that we have two Jameses, now there’s two Rosses too? When will the madness end?!

(Though, giving away a full retail game for free with its sequel does make a strong bid for top Ross on the PS Blog. :D)

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

Sadly the other Ross was here first.

That effectively makes him my keeper.

GT-R32_Skyline 11 April, 2011 @ 3:57 pm   19

@8
That is what i would wan’t to know as well many of these games would be sooo much better if they had the original Japanese audio in them

Erorrless 11 April, 2011 @ 3:59 pm   20

wow
now thats generous

xchris2008x 11 April, 2011 @ 4:09 pm   21

really want these, stop teaseing me lol

Any news on release?

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 4:32 pm

Release date will be announced very soon but it’s not very far off.

SurrealNightmare 11 April, 2011 @ 4:10 pm   22

I saw both covers get leaked online a few days ago but I have to admit that they look pretty good, especially the one for Origins.

It’d be cool if I could buy them both in a bundle though I’ll be sure to get both of them at some point.

This isn’t really news. This was announced last year. Besides this game is terrible worst rpg ever. Don’t buy it unless you like an rpg were your avatar is a no name character who doesn’t even get a knight and could die off in the first 5 min and it wouldn’t effect the game at all.

Lol

xchris2008x 11 April, 2011 @ 4:41 pm   25

Lol

Thanks for the reply :D

KylieDog 11 April, 2011 @ 4:43 pm   26

Last reply is full of win.

KharifAndor 11 April, 2011 @ 5:00 pm   27

I’ve been meaning to get WKC for some time, however hearing about the sequal made me wait since I can’t find any copy of the first game for a resonable price.

What will be the biggest change from WKC1 and this new remastered version?

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 6:01 pm

We’ll be revealing more on this later via the dev team so keep an eye on the blog.

Captain-Ultima 11 April, 2011 @ 5:03 pm   28

Got the first game, will deffenatedly get these both on release.

@Ross. You have confirmed that we can import our saves from the first game, something wich im sure most of us already knew.

BUT can you confirm wherter we can collect the first game’s trophies in this one? because i heard that WCK2 does not contain WCK trophy data and thus we need to collect them and the PS home rewards using the first game.

Chocobo115 11 April, 2011 @ 5:14 pm   29

bah now I feel like I’ve just wasted my money on the first game, but good for thoose who start with game 2

That’s awesome news! By the way, will WKC2 have any kind of online pass, like the japanese version?

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 6:03 pm

Yes, it will. You’ll receive a code in the game box that you’ll need to redeem via the Store.

ShadowhunterrX 11 April, 2011 @ 5:30 pm   31

May i ask Question ? You said ALL save games so do you mean also that you also can use a US version savefile ?

Ross Alexander 12 April, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

Sorry, you won’t be able to use a US save file on our EU code.

WKC II will be released in the US though, it was announced last week by publisher D3.

ivanff12 11 April, 2011 @ 5:30 pm   32

Will the game text in Spanish? True?¿

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 6:01 pm

Yes, it’ll be English audio only with French, Italian, German and Spanish subtitles.

ShadowhunterrX 11 April, 2011 @ 5:33 pm   33

Lol Sorry for 2 times also :P

May i ask Question ? You said ALL save games so do you mean that you also can use a US version savefile ?

RemyX-1988 11 April, 2011 @ 5:47 pm   34

As you said earlier, there is not enough disc space to include Japanese audio. However, would it not be possible to offer the Japanese audio as (free) downloadable content from the day the game is released? It would most definitely make a lot of fans happy. More so, perhaps, than the inclusion of the complete first game… ;)

Please answer this question.

Ross Alexander 12 April, 2011 @ 11:06 am

It’s definitely something to consider for future games but this won’t be happening for White Knight Chronicles II.

Personally I’m a big fan of watching Japanese movies with the original audio so I can see where you’re coming from.

Alestes 11 April, 2011 @ 6:00 pm   35

Nice news :)

Also, I’m curious exactly what the changes are between the original WKC and the remastered WKC. Just various relatively minor tweaks for the combat and so on, or are there more major noticeable changes?

Lcslick 11 April, 2011 @ 6:03 pm   36

Do you know what this is absolute genius. i had no intention of buying the first or second WKC as i seen a few reviews and thought it wasn’t for me, but just because you put the first one on the seconds disc i will definaly be buying it. If only more devs did stuff like this for their fans and not just for money. I will definatly be keeping an eye on LEVEL 5 inc dev teams future releases :D.

This is great news.
Curious about the online servers.
Will we be able to play with people from the US or will it be region locked server kind of thing?

Either way, cannot wait for this to come out =)

DeadnBuried 11 April, 2011 @ 6:43 pm   38

I must confess, I really didn’t get into WKC at all. I played it for a few hours but I just couldn’t get into it. Regardless of that, I’m definitely going to pick up WKC2 even if only to show my appreciation for one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen a developer/publisher do; release a sequel with the original game on the same disc.

In the current landscape where we have over-priced DLC as well as launch day DLC – content clearly ripped from the game to sell at a premium – this approach with WKC2 is really admirable. Hopefully I’ll get into both games and appreciate the content as much as the gesture!

mike-yazuka 11 April, 2011 @ 7:20 pm   39

@Alestes: The graphics where updated to match those of WKC2 also.
Some characters look a bit like dolls in part 1, they look a lot better in this version. Some people had very round heads, but now have a more natural headshape. Stuff like that, that has been changed. The battle system is a bit faster and has a better pace , if I’m not mistaken.

Otaku_BAKA 11 April, 2011 @ 7:27 pm   40

I’m guessing these are both no longer due in May? If they are I suggest you start pushing online retailers to list the titles, so I can buy them :P.

I wish there were more JRPGs on PS3, and I’m thankful Sony Computer Entertainment Europe haven’t abandoned this, as it appears SCEA has.

makingdamage 11 April, 2011 @ 7:44 pm   41

What a cool idea!

Akira_Tenshi 11 April, 2011 @ 7:52 pm   42

I heard a rumor that to play WKC2 you need to have completed the orginal game, please say this isn’t true.

Ross Alexander 12 April, 2011 @ 11:09 am

This definitely isn’t true for our European version, but it was for the Japanese version!

When you boot up WKC II, you’ll be able to choose to start from either of the two games.

I am not a RPG fan but that is a good deal that;)

SurrealNightmare 11 April, 2011 @ 8:16 pm   44

Thanks for answering these questions, Ross.

If you’re still reading by chance, do you know if the word censor for White Knight Chronicles II is being changed? I only ask because the 1st game censored ‘after’ and ‘con’, which is really annoying for the majority of English speakers.

Guess Ill need to hurry up with the first game, the game has been on my “play trough these games” pile for like a year and started playing it again today.

Hopefully Ill manage to clear the first game at least and possibly get some guild ranks etc.

Hopefully the game will have more content with less grind in later GR levels.

CassyChan 11 April, 2011 @ 9:08 pm   46

Wow, that’s awesome to see they care enough about the first to work some of the improvements they’ve made in the sequel into it and to then give it away free on the same disc. I was kind of put off buying WKC because I heard of a few annoyances in it but if they’re fixed and the game’s been improved then I’ll definitely be picking up II.

Now if only Level-5 would release remastered versions of Dark Cloud and Dark Chronicle :D

RemyX-1988 11 April, 2011 @ 9:15 pm   47

As you said earlier, there is not enough disc space to include Japanese audio. However, would it not be possible to offer the Japanese audio as (free) downloadable content from the day the game is released? It would most definitely make a lot of fans happy. More so, perhaps, than the inclusion of the complete first game… :)

Please answer this question.

Posted on 11 April, 2011 at 4:16 pm by Ross Alexander

this alrdy makes it a no buy for me and the no room is a lame excuse dump the first game and add jap dubs who cares about the horrible eng dubs for god sake all level-5 games eng dub tracks sounds godawful where do you find they voice actors?

Llamachops 11 April, 2011 @ 10:16 pm   49

I have a couple questions regarding save data.

1. Say, for argument’s sake, you don’t complete the first game and are about half way through. Can you continue from where you are when you start to play the second WKC and continue your story line, or do you have to start all over again?

2. Is there a new game+ feature like there was in the first one?

Ross Alexander 12 April, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

1. Yes, you can. If you’re halfway through WKC1, and you buy WKC2, and play WKC1 via the new remastered version, your save game will slot you in where you left off.

2. I’m confused!

EmperorLawlight 11 April, 2011 @ 10:37 pm   50

Will the game be good this time? The first one who really bad reviews.

Ross Alexander 12 April, 2011 @ 11:12 am

You’ll just have to see the reviews.

By way of a benchmark it reviewed very well in Japan so we’re expecting the game to do likewise over here.

Load all