Posted 7:01am

The Last Guardian, ICO And SOTC Collection Update

SCEE can confirm that we are officially delaying the release of ICO/Shadow of the Colossus Collection and The Last Guardian from their respective launch timeframes of Spring 2011 and Holiday/Winter 2011. We will provide more information regarding release timing at a later date.

Here are a few words from The Last Guardian Director/Game Designer, Fumito Ueda:

I announced at last year’s Tokyo Game Show that the release timing of The Last Guardian which is currently being developed would be holiday 2011.

However, to provide more challenging and better quality of content to users and to fulfill First Party Studio’s obligations, I decided to postpone its release timing.

All the members of my production team are working together at a fast pace to develop and release the game in First Party Studio quality.

I sincerely apologize to all the customers who have been waiting for “The Last Guardian” for so long, but I beg for your patience. I will also announce the new release timing at a later time.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

28 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

needless to say this sucks

BLEACH-Fan 20 April, 2011 @ 7:25 am   2

Thats cool too many games out this year :)

GulfWarVet 20 April, 2011 @ 7:26 am   3

would prefer the game to be completed and released when its ready not when the target date comes around.

Don’t mind really, back end of the year is quite full anyway.

AnimaOnline 20 April, 2011 @ 7:29 am   4

They wouldn’t delay it if it wasn’t going to improve the game in some way so I’m happy waiting. The last thing I’d want to see is these games getting released too early with flaws. Still can’t wait though.

smokeypsd 20 April, 2011 @ 7:38 am   5

Understandable, most likely due to the terrible events of late. :(

Most likely will effect a bunch of things.

Im actually sorta glad. This year is packed with games. Theres like 1 Sony exclusive every month.

Delaying it to 2012 is a good idea. As not much games have been announced for 2012.

almighty-slayer 20 April, 2011 @ 8:24 am   7

Roneberg 20 April, 2011 @ 8:35 am   8

Ok.. Ok… we wait, keep up the good work! ;)

cthulhu85 20 April, 2011 @ 8:37 am   9

Sucks, but like the others have said, better to delay and release a complete and great product rather than keeping the original date and not releasing it as good as it could’ve been.

l_skynet_l 20 April, 2011 @ 8:44 am   10

Last Guardian is gonna be worth the wait imo.

Toothball 20 April, 2011 @ 9:10 am   11

Winter works out for me, still need to get a PS3 to play it on.

Osahi_be 20 April, 2011 @ 9:18 am   12

So, will we get the collection thise winter so you can soften the wait? :P

Red_Memory 20 April, 2011 @ 9:24 am   13

Take as long time as you need! It’s better to get a quality release than Fallout: New Vegas..

VitalogyPJ 20 April, 2011 @ 9:31 am   14

I would be surprised if this didn’t happened. It’s becoming usual these days :(

Anyway I rather wait a bit more and have them perfect (or close to it) than have it quick and full of flaws so, go go Team ICO :)

adge_uk 20 April, 2011 @ 9:50 am   15

I’m happy to wait for something amazing rather than rush to a deadline. As long as it doesn’t slip to being a PS4 launch title that is ;-) !!

It´s great that quality is more important than a release date. Take your time and make it beautiful.
;-)

We knew it for the long time. But to be honest, I’m not mad, it’s Fumito Ueda, TLG WILL be definitely the best experience in this generation.

Dante_Zero 20 April, 2011 @ 10:14 am   18

this news sucks. i was kinda hoping we would have the SOTC/ICO collection by now. delaying that till the end of the year might ultimately hurt sales in the end considering how many AAA games will be arriving.

Was hoping for the collection to come out before TLG but yeah whatever, your not the first game to be delayed. Just dont release a buggy mess ;)

I want ICO/SOTC so bad!!! Please release it on summer!

Saber_IV 20 April, 2011 @ 11:22 am   21

Don’t turn this into another GT5/Duke Nukem please.

It will only result in a better, more polished product. Release it when it is ready

I have a feeling it will be out in 2012. I can’t wait to play it. Lots of ‘AAA’ PS3 games coming for the rest of this year so i can wait for this masterpiece :P
Hopefully ‘ICO/SOTC Collection’ will be out this year tho :P

RedBullRacer 20 April, 2011 @ 3:52 pm   24

I am well excited for these games so I don’t mind waiting. Like others have said, so many games out already it’s not as if we need anymore games this year!

WhiteGrief 20 April, 2011 @ 4:10 pm   25

This is unacceptable Sony, SHAME on you!
I don’t care about your unlimited wave of boring shooters! I just want my Ueda game: can I have the adventure game I’m waiting for SIX years or is too much of asking?

This is not an rpg: huge world, 40 hours of story with cut-scenes and dubbing, sub-quests, battle system…
This is not a Gran Turismo 5: tracks, on-line, phisics, mainly PS2 cars (oh my, that hurt)…
This is an adventure game inside a castle: 15 hours of gameplay, 5 cut-scenes and 15 minutes of voicework. That’s all.

Don’t lie to us like we were children: a PS2 game in HD and an adventure game in the making from at least 5 years can be delayed only for a commercial strategy.

CassyChan 21 April, 2011 @ 12:43 am   26

It’s a real shame but the final product will certainly be well worth the wait, I’m happy to wait a while longer while they perfect the collection and TLG.

Delaying TLD, understandable. But SoTC/Ico? WHAT?! It’s a PS2 game that only needs to be remastered, it’s already taken months, yet we still have another year to wait?
The Prince of Persia Trilogy had the same HD/3D treatment and that only took 3-4 months, so it makes no sense for this delay, especially as it should’ve already been out MONTHS AGO.

whoismilan 22 April, 2011 @ 7:06 am   28

A triple A Sony first party game being indefinitely delayed? This might just be the most surprising news of this entire console generation!

Obviously, everyone and their mom had already assumed that The Last Guardian would get at least a few delays, but why couldn’t you give us the SOTC/Ico collection now? The timing seemed perfect, not a lot of other games coming out right now.

If you’re planning a TLG release next spring and a SOTC/Ico release in the fall – epic fail, fall is already overstuffed with games. I guess that’s what’s to be expected of Sony though…