Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 10:04am

Persona 3 Portable Coming To PSP April 29

Hi I’m Ross Brierley, a games tester at Ghostlight and I am very excited to announce the upcoming release of Persona 3 Portable, the excellent PSP version of the critically acclaimed and award winning JRPG.

From the opening cut scene, Persona 3 Portable draws you into its unsettling world allowing you to explore the deep contrast between your character’s everyday school life and the mysterious Dark Hour, a time hidden between one day and the next where terrible creatures lurk. As a member of the Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad, you have the ability to cross over to the Dark Hour where you can wield a special innate power – your Persona. When the Dark Hour comes, reality crumbles away. Your school mutates into a sinister and perilous tower known as Tartarus and the people around you transmogrify into coffins whilst the evil Shadow creatures prey on those who wander unsuspectingly into their realm. Using the powers of your Persona, it is your sole aim to root out the cause of the Dark Hour and protect all humanity from certain doom.

The contrast between your character’s ‘normal’ life and that of the Dark Hour forms the focus of P3P’s gameplay. You must carefully balance your time between improving your relationships with the characters around you and exploring Tartarus and fighting the Shadows; ignore either and you won’t have strength enough to defend yourself when the full moon draws the most fearsome of enemies hell-bent on your destruction.

I am personally really pleased to have had the chance to work on Persona 3 Portable, as the original Persona 3 was one of the best PlayStation 2 games I’ve ever played (that was until my save got deleted over 60 hours into the game!). As well as having the chance to experience this thrilling game again (with incredibly short loading times, I might add), this new enhanced version really does achieve a new level of excellence and offers some significant improvements and features over the original, including:

• The option to play the story as a new female protagonist, giving rise to new dialogue, special events and opportunities.
  • An improved turn-based battle system, which now allows direct control of your teammates in battle.
  • Five difficulty settings (from “beginner” to the hard-core choice of “maniac!”)
    The addition of rewards from new NPCs when they’re rescued from Tartarus.
  • Part time jobs to raise player stats and earn wages.
  • New social links, new Persona, Skill Cards, new characters as well as a completely new dungeon to explore
  • Improved system dynamics – one button menu short-cuts, quick equipment changes, and a whole lot more!

The release date has been set as 29th April, so you won’t have long before you can all get your hands on a copy of this great game!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

12 Comments 3 Author replies
Show oldest first
AaronSOLDIER 21 April, 2011 @ 3:06 pm   1

Yes keep them coming (and the recently released in Japan Persona 2)!

like you guys said on your blog this is only the UMD version right?
and i know it won’t have jap dubs or and DLC for jap dubs.
but could you guys consider putting jap dubs in all your future title’s

Chaosprower 21 April, 2011 @ 3:44 pm   3

Will it be available on PSN?

Looks great, I’ve been eagerly awaiting this for a while…Persona 3 is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. :)

TimodusSnake 21 April, 2011 @ 3:50 pm   5

It’s still not released in Europe? It’s one of the best PSP games.

sharpenedpixel 21 April, 2011 @ 3:52 pm   6

If only there was a PS3 PSN version. A game like this is too long and involved to be on the PSP… well that’s a problem with the entire PSP lineup of games xD

RemyX-1988 21 April, 2011 @ 5:24 pm   7

I will most definitely buy this on UMD on the 29th! Already own the regular and FES-versions on the PS2, but still, the added content (female story) is plain awesome! Definite buy!

I just imported the US version, i’m glad the PSP is region free and long may it continue :)

CassyChan 21 April, 2011 @ 7:18 pm   9

I loved Persona 3 on the PS2, the characters were so memorable and it was hella fun, Persona 2: Innocent Sin is still my favourite in the series though, I’ve had 4 since release day but have yet to finish it, lol… I need to find the time to do it before you guys go and bring out a PSP/NGP port of it or something :D

Faithless_mr 21 April, 2011 @ 11:42 pm   10

I am so going to get this on release :D Thank you for bringing this game to Europe (officially!)

Love you, Ghostlight!

whoismilan 22 April, 2011 @ 7:18 am   11

I’ll pick it up once it’s on PSN. :)

Ross Brierley 23 April, 2011 @ 6:44 pm

Hi to everyone. Thanks for the positive comments. We are doing what we can to bring the best in JRPGs to Europe. So if you have a comment why not take a look at the P3P prize draw: http://p3p.ghostlight.uk.com where you can give us your suggestions. Have a great weekend!!

Chocobo115 22 April, 2011 @ 9:20 am   12

Dear Ghostlight, have you hired some better translators? Because Agarest wasn’t really a quality translation I’m asking cause I’m interested in Agarest Zero but if translation is as bad I’ll most likely pass.

Ross Brierley 23 April, 2011 @ 6:48 pm

Hi Chocobo115, everyone’s comments regarding the translations for Agarest: GOW were noted. I can tell you that this time round we are using the the same translations as Aksys d’_’