Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 12:01am

PS3 System Software Update

We have been working on a new PS3 system software update that requires all PSN users to change their password once PlayStation Network is restored. The update (v3.61) is mandatory and is available now.

If using a PS3, your password can only be changed on your own PS3 (or a PS3 on which your PSN account was activated), as an added layer of security. If you have never downloaded any content using your account on the system, an email will be sent to the registered sign-in ID (email address) associated with your account when you first attempt to sign-in to PSN. This e-mail will contain a link that will enable you to change your password. In this email, click on the link and follow the instructions to change your password. Once you have changed your password you can sign-in to your account using your new password.

We strongly recommend that all PSN account holders with PS3s update their systems to prepare for when PlayStation Network is back online. The release of this update is a critical step as we work to make PlayStation Network significantly more secure. Thank you for your continued support and patience.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

34 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
DEATHDLR-XxAcExX 15 May, 2011 @ 5:47 am   1

Why must Sony require us to have used an eligible email address; it is impossible for me to sign onto accounts on which I simply used a random email address in order to maintain maximum anonymity in the case that it would be hacked – which it was. Now, my safety measures have proven to fail because Sony would like for their users to actually type in accurate information about themselves when registering? This is ridiculous; I’d be more than happy to take my business elsewhere if this problem is not resolved.

dropshot419 15 May, 2011 @ 7:13 am   2

@deathdlr-xxacexx call sony they will send it to your real email
note lines are crazy i had to call to get it sent to mine

DEATHDLR-XxAcExX 15 May, 2011 @ 7:21 am   3

Really? Damn, thanks, you saved the life of one ps3 today :P

Girlgeek 15 May, 2011 @ 8:18 pm   4

No sign of an e-mail does anyone know how long this is going to take??

paul5483 15 May, 2011 @ 10:41 pm   5

its gone again not good

yasnil-70 15 May, 2011 @ 10:49 pm   6

updated software. changed password. all we need now it to get online !!

CLARE_BEAR_72_ 15 May, 2011 @ 10:50 pm   7

Its gone again, once ps3 got turned off not good at all just have a bit of enjoyment an it went boo hoooo come on sony get it back

AmethystShard 15 May, 2011 @ 10:56 pm   8

@dropshot419. Do you know where to find contact details to call Sony?

what’s going on here? new update typed in new password went on to ps home. great its back on. then nothing playstation home is undergoing maintenance work. what you playing at sony come on get a grip…….

FruitLoop1969 15 May, 2011 @ 11:17 pm   10

I have done the update and accepted the terms and conditions then it just went back to normal home screen with sign in again. When I tried to log in again it came up with you cant login with someone elses email on this machine BUT IT MY MACHINE AND EMAIL ADDRESS. It also said Iwould have to use a computer as I havent used this Account on this machine but I got PS+ and to top it all off it looks like ALL my trophies have gone (as per the PSP app on my iphone) :-( anyone else got this problem?????

The-muppet36 16 May, 2011 @ 1:12 am   11

psn network down again after waiting 3 weeks, lets just hope it’s teething problems?

MORTARMAN420 16 May, 2011 @ 3:57 am   12

wow I FEEL hated now i can log in on australia but not the usa wow is all i can say sony should hire some gamers to help develop a more simplified log in system

redness-63 16 May, 2011 @ 4:34 am   13

what is going on ???ungoing maintenance again

thisisjustincase 16 May, 2011 @ 6:02 am   14

Hi Nick Caplin,

I have this software update but I can’t sign into PSN on my PS3 because my user ID has 31 characters and its stops accepting characters at 30.

Please help!

brad_morris 16 May, 2011 @ 6:16 am   15

ONLINE IS HERE… Well for me anyway :D

BurnxThexBadger 16 May, 2011 @ 7:15 am   16

Stop all your whinning. Its been down for weeks !!! And if you did check around for info than you shouldalready know this isnt planned to be complete until end of May. Just wait and keep pointless comments too yourself. Xb

almulder 16 May, 2011 @ 7:55 am   17

I was forced to update my PS3 to 3.61 as soon as it was done i shut it down as i was leaving for a while. I come back with a movie and put it in now it will not boot disk stuck inside. Green light then 3 beeps and red flashing. Disk will not come out. Thanks SONY. Called support they say send it in for repair $120 please or $99 for a refurbished slim. What? Sounds like they want all Fat PS3 back and are doing anything to do so. Including bricking random systems after updates. I just rented the movie and I have to send my system back in to them to get the disk out, but no guarantee that i get the disk back. WHO THE HE** IS GOING TO PAY MY LATE FEE? SONY YOU NEED TO FIX THIS. Or as the SONY rep said, “Hey on the down low, just Google a tear down and get the disk out your self and do the YLOD fix” Ya nice one SONY.

I can’t believe Sony is going to get away with this. Well Back to PC games then. Sony sucks as bad as Microsoft’s XBOX now.

Comments all over the web starting today about Bricked systems after Updating. DON’T FAT PS3′s UPDATE ITS A SCAM. How can they force you to update and then Brick your system? I AM SO REPORTING YOU SONY

Chris_le_miles 16 May, 2011 @ 8:33 am   18

i have a ps3 fat and it updated and is working. have u maybe thought that ur ps3 has just broken because it’s old? poor u, stop throwing a tantrum and be realistic.

AmethystShard 16 May, 2011 @ 9:29 am   19

@ Chris_le_miles. There ARE no old PS3′s. It hasn’t been out long enough to be old! A lot of the fat PS3s seem to have overheating problems.
Regarding the relaunch of PSN, the main problem affecting several of my friends is that, like a lot of people they changed their e-mail address and other details when they learned of the security breach. Now they can’t get on PSN at all! SONY/PSN didn’t warn that you wouldn’t be able to get back on to PSN without your OLD e-mail. This is stupid of them because they must surely have known many would change their e-mail.
Sony/PSN need to provide some way for people who changed e-mail during the outage to get on to PSN.

seSJack 16 May, 2011 @ 9:33 am   20

I downloaded my update installed it and rebooted the sp3. All went well but it did not give me any password change so i could not sing in. I left my ps3 over night put it on today and tryed to sing in. It said i had to change my password after changeing my password im in. :)
Give them time it will work.

dave_lfc_76 16 May, 2011 @ 9:34 am   21

I think its gonna be unstable for a while yet but hey atleast i got to try brink online last night so it’s not all bad.I’m just hoping that the free games on the welcome back program arent ones i already have

GuessWhoDidit 16 May, 2011 @ 9:57 am   22

I have 2 ps3 and I have logged on one straight forward when prompted to change then password. Does anyone know what will happen when u log on the second one with the same account when it shows the promp.I haven’t tried it yet until I get a confirmed answer.

thisisjustincase 16 May, 2011 @ 1:27 pm   23

Hi Nick Caplin,

In addition to my previous post I have found a bug with this latest update.

If you use the PS3 controller only, it will only allow you to type in 30 CHARACTERS into the signin ID box.

If you plug in a USB keyboard you can type in more.

Can you please rush out another update to fix this error as soon as possible?

Thank you.

AmethystShard 16 May, 2011 @ 2:13 pm   24

I cansign in, but my partner just gets error messages. WHEN is this going to be fixed PROPERLY?

anro4ever 16 May, 2011 @ 3:02 pm   25

IAIN_HAINEY 16 May, 2011 @ 4:16 pm   26

on my other account it says .. that a email was ent to the email address and i just made it up at te tim? so ho do i get m account bakc Help pls?

tomnefdt 16 May, 2011 @ 5:02 pm   27

Welcom back PSN – happy to have you back!

ZingoDingo 16 May, 2011 @ 6:04 pm   28

W00000T W000T PS3 is back… Now how do I get my gifts:)

Ronaldoisgod 16 May, 2011 @ 10:09 pm   29

congratulations sony goodjob in getting the ps3 back online!!

NME-GUUS 16 May, 2011 @ 11:18 pm   30

Does anybody have a problem with Vuze concerning watching movies via PS3?
As streaming *.avi from Vuze on a PC to PS3?

It seems that the latest firmware just killed the readability of the files :-(
Now I can’t see my movies…

Well, thanks anyway for getting up PSN Sony!!!

akito714 17 May, 2011 @ 12:00 pm   31

I updated my PS3 on this new software. While i was out to get water when i came the TV screen turns black and my PS3 wont start and it says unable to start the system. What the hell happen to this new system. Can anybody help me this? HOw can i fix my PS3?!!!!!!…..

trekboy9 17 May, 2011 @ 9:46 pm   32

Updated my fat ps3 80g with the new software. Same as many people out there it now wont boot up and the red lights flashing. Suspect its a fault common to older ps3 or sony think these are vulnerable to having and have deliberately bricked them. If so that would be against the law here in the UK Sony.

TigerLust 17 May, 2011 @ 11:43 pm   33

BUG REPORT: I have over 60 friends on PSN. When sorting friends by name, it lists myself, then 36 contacts properly sorted A-Z, then it starts again from A to list the remaining contacts. Please fix in the next firmware.

podda172 8 June, 2011 @ 2:48 pm   34

i know this is wrong page to ask but. when i enter pshome i receive a reward and the system freezes,
are you aware of this problem and any idea how to get back into pshome?
i have tried turning off my controller as advised by another user,
i appreciate your busy hope you can answer