Posted 19 May

Rockstar Games And Sony Joint Statement On L.A. Noire

We have received a very small number of customer support questions about PS3s overheating or shutting down while playing L.A. Noire. At this time, Rockstar Games and Sony can confirm that neither L.A. Noire or firmware update 3.61 are causing the PS3 hardware to overheat. We are both committed to working hard to find solutions to this and any issues that may arise. If you are experiencing any issues with L.A. Noire or your PS3 hardware, please contact technical support using any of the means provided below:

Rockstar Support: www.rockstargames.com/support
Rockstar Support on Twitter: twitter.com/RockstarSupport

Playstation 3 Support EU: http://eu.playstation.com

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

197 Comments 5 Author replies
Show oldest first

JonnyPauz 19 May, 2011 @ 9:35 pm   1

its happening on both PS3 and xbox so it has to be the game

Rockstar games are always SO not perfect.

Maybe its the warm weather :D My PS3 is ok.

JordanBlack68 19 May, 2011 @ 9:53 pm   4

Probably warm weather, make sure you have plenty of space around the PS3.

But, why is the problems happening to RockStar games on both PS3 and 360.

jazzy734 19 May, 2011 @ 9:53 pm   5

Isn’t L.A. Noire going to be released until tomorrow?
Does it mostly happen on Slim or Fat models?

bennyrafal 19 May, 2011 @ 9:56 pm   6

@4 Please hold your tongue… don`t be vulgar

And what is the truth – i`m afraid to play, what is the reason of overheating?

Nick Caplin 19 May, 2011 @ 10:53 pm

There is not an over heating problem with PS3. Occasionally a PS3 over heatrs for numerous reasons and we’re not seeing an increased number of reports at the moment.

Redpop1 19 May, 2011 @ 9:57 pm   7

Think the fact that this is happening to both versions of the game, points the finger at rockstar and not MS or sony. expect a patch in the coming days. Question to Sony or to those that this has happened to. I presume that this is not breaking the ps3 and that it will turn back on after is cools down. Really would not be happy if it was a case of the console breaking. can you let us know sony?

Nick Caplin 19 May, 2011 @ 10:59 pm

See what I’ve said above. There is not an over heating issue. There is clearly misunderstanding in the media.

buckrogers1 19 May, 2011 @ 9:59 pm   8

I’d like to see some figures, how many calls have they received about this problem, is it just a few consoles or hundreds or more.

Nick Caplin 19 May, 2011 @ 11:00 pm

We have not seen an increase in the number of calls we get on a normal day. There is not an issue here, especially not linking over heating to LA Noire or firmware 3.61

I’ve been playing it all day (L.A. Noire) on my 40Gig Fat PS3 with no problems at all, the fan isn’t even making the loud noise it does sometimes with GTA and MGS.

blankedboy 19 May, 2011 @ 10:10 pm   10

Microsoft are replacing XBoxes that their latest firmware bricks free of charge…

Pure_Mind_Games 19 May, 2011 @ 10:18 pm   11

The only game I have a problem with is Uncharted, when I’m running from those zombie things(after fighting them with Eddie) every time it crashes/freezes(whatever it’s called these days) and I have to turn the console off by hold my finger on the “button”, thank god that it saves at that part.

I heard it was only affecting 60gbs. They’re the least reliable, I’ve fixed heaps of them, but not many 40/80gbs. They use the most amount of power and therefore produce the most heat. A game like LA Noire will probably push the GPU pretty hard, just like Uncharted 2.

Nick Caplin 19 May, 2011 @ 11:01 pm

LA Noire is not causing problems with any of the models of PS3.

What!? So if Sony are confirming that it’s not the PS3, and Rockstar are confirming that it’s not the game, what is causing the problem? Surely it’s one of the two? Nevertheless I’ve yet to experience any problems with LA Noire (except a small freeze when it tried to access the PS Store), I think its the fat PS3s that are more at risk.

Nick Caplin 19 May, 2011 @ 11:05 pm

The point is that there is no problem. With so many PS3s in the market, the odd one is bound to over heat and for some reason this has been made to sound like an particular issue. We have not seen an increase from the normal level of calls that are received by our call centres on a daily basis.

EmpireNO 19 May, 2011 @ 10:49 pm   14

It’s been running on my PS3 for many hours without problems. Doesn’t seem to be neither FW 3.61 nor L.A. Noire.

Omegabug2003 19 May, 2011 @ 11:13 pm   15

I trust Nick on this.

Granted, The odd lock up has occured on my PS3 (40GB) which has been so random that I’m not overly worried.

I want the PS Store up – not just to unlock the DLC that is being shipped with my copy of L.A. Noire but also for other DLC :(

Grauwsaur 19 May, 2011 @ 11:18 pm   16

Nice Sony for being so firm about the matter, clear responses, hopefully it will nip this apparant wild speculation in the bud. It’s easy to link some incidental failures to some particular new software, especially if picked up by major news sites, but that doesn’t mean there is any truth to it.

PHILYPOT08 19 May, 2011 @ 11:20 pm   17

cant wait till tomorrow going to go buy L.A. Noire a few off my m8s got it today & they say its amazing ! :) & they all so sed there PS3 is NOT overheating & they have been playing it all day lol love rockstar games ! btw is there any news on the store cumming bk up there is alot of rumours going roung saying its bk up on MAY 24th is that true??

slinkymcpot 19 May, 2011 @ 11:20 pm   18

how are you actually playing la noire its not even released till tomorrow

slinkymcpot 19 May, 2011 @ 11:23 pm   19

i’ve got 2 ps3′s [40gb fat and 320gb slim] and both are running mint

PHILYPOT08 19 May, 2011 @ 11:24 pm   20

@19 pre-order u normally get it a day early depends where u order from but im not playing it my m8s r gotta wait till tomorrow to get my copy

slinkymcpot 19 May, 2011 @ 11:25 pm   21

are you still there nick if so can you plzzzzz tell us some info on the store pllllllllllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

slinkymcpot 19 May, 2011 @ 11:26 pm   22

gutted i pre ordered mine but got to go pick it up tomorrow can’t wait

Like Nick Caplin said, there is no increase in overheating consoles and it seems that a simple coincidence of some consoles overheating while playing LA Noire seems to be blown out of proportion.
It feels like any little PS3 problem is been exaggerated ever since the downtime.
Im getting the game in the morning regardless, cant wait.

Pure_Mind_Games 19 May, 2011 @ 11:35 pm   24

@25 it happens every time there’s a big release, I just ignore it now.

somethingatt 19 May, 2011 @ 11:45 pm   25

What a headache this is for Rockstar and Sony….Thanks stupid media for blowing things out of proportion as always.

My advice is to just play the game and enjoy it. Ignore all this melodrama.

ZzStalkerzZ 19 May, 2011 @ 11:47 pm   26

Sounds like the usual overheating(which is part of owning a ps3 lol) the game that overheat my system the most is Fallout 3/NV.

“There is clearly misunderstanding in the media”
Well that is the internet for you, full of cr*p news! :D So much cr*p on those so called gaming sites about the PS3 i have stopped going on & reading them. Like n4g.com full of idiots & run by idiots.

Ginnungagap-X 19 May, 2011 @ 11:49 pm   28

Well my 40gb unit from 2008 just died but I can say it was getting a LOT of use through various accessories like Play TV and Media Server connection, I’m attributing this to a coincidence although it did die with the new firmware installed while playing Folklore for 45 minutes. I would like to REQUEST one thing, could SONY please make to it easier to move the HDD from a dead unit to a brand new one without losing content, I have a 500GB HDD and backing it up isn’t very feasable, I understand that forcing a wipe to an HDD moved between consoles is a copyright measure but I think it’s one of those cases where it harms legitmate customers. I imagine a person running a hacked firmware could count on that limitation being removed bu the hackers. Sooner or later.

So it´s not the game and not de update, then WHY do you work together and on WHAT. This is BS. But by now we are used to get lied to.

So how about that protection plan?

tdragon86 20 May, 2011 @ 1:29 am   30

Great, now I’m actually hesitant about getting the game…

undergroundgr 20 May, 2011 @ 2:31 am   31

80 gig phat here playing la noire with no problems

angusinthearoara 20 May, 2011 @ 3:00 am   32

Might be no connection but my PS3 120gb slim keeps freezing on both Home & online games such as BFBC2. I never had so many issues before the outage (strange eh) its been happening to a few folk on my friend’s list. Please open the store soon im itching 2 start feeding Sony my share of the 42 million they make a week on playstation home!

driver2009 20 May, 2011 @ 3:15 am   33

It took Sony a week to confirm personal details theft, maybe next week they will confirm a Firmware issue??

big_geordie_ok 20 May, 2011 @ 4:25 am   34

SOD IT… it does’nt matter wat there saying here about LA NOIR the game looks brill and am having it.

Biker_Bob_1971 20 May, 2011 @ 4:29 am   35

With Sony it is always the customer, innit? This statement is so ridiculous. Of course it is either one of you. Seeing a number of reports on 360 freezing and crashing I think it is fairly obvious that it’s Rockstar. Have we forgotten GTAIV and Red Dead Redemption which suffered from massive bugs (and crashes) at launch as well?

It’s the overheating issue on the PS3 that is a concern. The Xbox just crashes, but the PS3 overheats. So what if it’s BOTH Rockstar and Sony combined? I can imagine Sony cracking down the fanspeed a bit down in order to cash in some 130 Euro/Pounds for making up in lost revenue when PSN was down and get rid of the old phatties which still contain the massive 29 February bug, due out in 2014 again. Yes, that’s how much I trust Sony nowadays. Zero trust.

Biker_Bob_1971 20 May, 2011 @ 4:35 am   36

And no Mr. Chaplin, I do not believe your PR comments. There are friends on my friendlist too (as mentioned before) who encounter more freezes and crashes since the update. I haven’t yet luckily, but there’s a buzz out there and that buzz is there with a reason. Something IS wrong with the firmware.

Jason_Hall 20 May, 2011 @ 4:37 am   37

For people who are experiencing problems, over sometime the PS3 vents can get blocked. Every now and then I get a duster and fold it once and put it over the end of the vacuum cleaner and then go round the vents. (the duster is there to redistrict airflow of the vacuum as in the instruction manual it states “use a low power vacuum to clean the vents” or something like that).

Hoped this helped. I will be getting LA Noire today.

TehCakeisaLie 20 May, 2011 @ 5:56 am   38

When I get LA Noire I’ll probably play it for a few hours at a time to try and lower the chance of an overheat until this is looked into more.

Oh dear. PSN hacked, down for a month. When it did get back up there was an exploit with the password change process… now there may possibly a problem with the new firmware.

I do hope that Sony has better luck in future.

illage2 20 May, 2011 @ 6:19 am   39

Hey …. what is all this news about the store being back online on May 24th?

Is this true or just a plain rumor.

itzille 20 May, 2011 @ 6:29 am   40

I have played many hours on my ps3 since 3.61 firmware without problem.
I’ve got a 120 gb slim and has not discovered any problems.
I belive in what nick tells us and i’m gonna play L.A Noire today. But i think we all are a little worried about this problem but its a small chance that it happens.

acedamage 20 May, 2011 @ 7:04 am   41

ive had 4 60g repaired ,but now have a slim and have no problems i think it could be down to old systems breaking down and with what’s been going on of late the media are making this worst than it is

BlueRaven 20 May, 2011 @ 7:11 am   42

My PS3 got the YLOD of Tuesday after playing Mass Effect 2 for 15 minutes….(launch 60GB)
I would like to enter my vote to the FW being an issue.
When i click the support EU link it just sends me to the EU website with nowhere to cast “my vote”
What are the actual contact details??
It should be made easier for people to report problems other than saying “we have not received an increase number of reported incidents”

skudd2007 20 May, 2011 @ 7:19 am   43

i would like to know you sent me an email at6.am in the morning with it expiring in 3 hours then you take the loggin facility of line so i was unable to change my password for my accounts. am i going to get a new email to change my passwords. and are you also aware that while the password isnt change the hackers can use that account to attack sony???!!!!

C-a-v-e-M-a-n 20 May, 2011 @ 7:22 am   44

Nick – you are SO pathetic with your crappy PR stamped replies sounding like a broken record! If you have nothing to say or trying to hide avoiding to reply a endlesly asked questions like in the blog entry about your rubbish “welcome back” package say rather nothing than this. I’d be ASHAMED on your place – lying to the customers like this.

fucmeyoudie 20 May, 2011 @ 7:29 am   45

this is stupid and the game itself isnt great. please leave the fools wth their madness. P.S set fucmeyoudie as your bud.

skudd2007 20 May, 2011 @ 7:33 am   46

me thinks the auto responce email system crashed or went on strike over pay cuts. dont blame it my self. last night played bad company 2 get this. a 4 v’s 8 players ok i was on the 8 player side. and the 4 player side won? to my recolection i didnt see one of there players die on screen and sony say they fixed the hacks?? mmm now they will blame it on EA.. bet ya they do..

chrisopo 20 May, 2011 @ 7:35 am   47

Are you working with rockstar on the grand theft auto IV stats online because i’ve had problems leveling up since PSN came back online. And no1 at sony can answer the questions!!!!!!!!

skudd2007 20 May, 2011 @ 7:36 am   48

chrisopo they cant even answer why cheese melts under the grill. there answer would be it just does?? lol

chrisopo 20 May, 2011 @ 7:41 am   49

LOL i no yh but its really annoying one minute your level 2 then the next your back to zero. but who are we to sony really??? they don’t care about us.

skudd2007 20 May, 2011 @ 7:43 am   50

no m8 they dont we are just a casher register to them. the sound of cha ching as it kicks up the $ sign

Load all